Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reiichiroh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
I can't seem to find the thread but there's one here where people recommended the Poetic Atmosphere about others. I'm an iPhone case junkie. I am about to have 20 iPhone 5 cases, have had about 30 iPhone 4 and 3 cases.

With the 3/3GS, I really loved the SwitchEasy CapsuleRebel (I bought like 7 to mix and match the spines) but recent products from them haven't impressed me much (Nude and Tones).

Going to the 4 and 5, I really love the Speck CandyShell (Grip especially) line of cases and they're a little thick but they absorb shock so much I show off by throwing them and bouncing my iPhones off carpeted floor. Some defects though--scuffs show too easily and rubber peels/pills.

SwitchEasy Tones white/gray = nice, but hole around Lightning adapter too small--won't fit Monoprice cables or the Apple adapters. Will only fit original cables. Also gets grimy that Magic Eraser can't seem to buff out. Almost as sturdy as the Speck ones too--I bounce my iPhone in this.

Now I'm looking for thinner and I briefly had (before selling it to a friend) the Belkin Candy Sheer (black and neon green) case.

Dissatisfied with that, I've ordered the white + black "upgraded" Anker Glaze thin TPU cases and have 7 knockoff Spigen Slim Armor Colors on their way from eBay.

I really like the Anker Glaze so far. This is the "upgraded" one being a 1-piece TPU vs the TPU + bumper v1 seemed to have. The silver ANKER logo is really understated and it's not a shiny/greasy TPU but matte/frosted. No camera ring hole.

I can't see myself skipping my iPhone in this case like a rock like I did with my previous cases though.

What are everyone else's experience?

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Here's my progression of cases for the iPhone 5:
Speck CandyShell
Belkin Grip Candy (currently own)
Elago S5 bumpers - 1st and 2nd versions
Tech Armor TPU case
Caudabe Streamline
Magpul Field (currently own)
Spigen Bounce
Spigen Neo Hybrid (currently own)

I'm surprised you sold the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer. That case was excellent in every way! I still use mine occasionally. The Magpul Field is a nice change to the typical TPU cases and thinner than one would guess. The Spigen Neo Hybrid is my current favorite. Very similar to the Belkin Grip Candy but more visually appealing.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I had the Anker Glaze, which wasn't bad but I just can't stand the gaudy logo on the side. I ended up settling on the Caudabe Perimetric which is really similar to the two-piece TPU and plastic combo of the old Anker Glaze but has better cutouts for the speakers. So far so good. A little bit more expensive than the Anker Glaze, but still not too bad.

reiichiroh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
I really really like my white Anker Glaze v2. I might order a v1 to try too since the v2 doesn't have the bumper but it's a 1-piece. However, as a result, around the buttons the TPU material isn't straight but it squished with a slight curve. I really don't mind/see the silver ANKER words on the side.

I do like the soft/grippy matte TPU material though.

The "black" one is smokey/brown and doesn't look good on a black iPhone 5--I ordered both colours.

Also the reason I didn't like the Belkin Candy Sheer was the lense opening revealed the line between the silver/white instead of being cut off right at it.

Anal, I know!

----------

Does the Anker Glaze get grimy like the SwitchEasy Tones? Most other clear TPU cases get yellow fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.