Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aros888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Chicago, IL
Hello everyone! I just got a new Macbook Air today, and it's my first Mac. I've been going through and setting up everything the way I want it to be, and I've come across a little issue when setting up my mail account.

I linked my mail app to my gmail account (let's call it myName@gmail.com). The way my University email is set up, all my university email is forwarded to my google account. And email I send from my gmail says that it is sent from my university (a message I send would say it is from myName@myUniversity.edu instead of myName@gmail.com).

In the mail app I get all my emails, but they automatically send from myName@gmail.com instead of myName@myUniversity.edu. So far the only fix I've been able to find for issues like this is for when one has multiple accounts synced with the mail app (in that instance one can just change the default respond address), but I can actually only access my University email through google; I only have one account to sync.

Is there a way for me to send mail through the mail app and have it say that it is from myName@myUniversity.edu?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I believe you need to use the University email address as your GMail username when setting up Mail in OS X. Give this a look.

Aros888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Chicago, IL
I believe you need to use the University email address as your GMail username when setting up Mail in OS X. Give this a look.

OK, thanks for the help. One question, though. I still need all the email that goes to my google account (the one my university email is forwarded to). If I set up the mail app under my university email address, I wouldn't get those by default. If I were to then add my gmail address, would I get all the university email twice?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OK, thanks for the help. One question, though. I still need all the email that goes to my google account (the one my university email is forwarded to). If I set up the mail app under my university email address, I wouldn't get those by default. If I were to then add my gmail address, would I get all the university email twice?

If I understand what is happening here, your university is using Google Apps with their domain name for email. So you will need to setup both GMail accounts in OS X Mail to send and receive from both accounts.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I know the in my Mail's Compose window there is a drop down to choose which account I send it from with the corresponding email address. Don't you get this with two different email accounts in Mail?

Aros888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Chicago, IL
If I understand what is happening here, your university is using Google Apps with their domain name for email. So you will need to setup both GMail accounts in OS X Mail to send and receive from both accounts.

Well, not quite. What they're actually doing is having us sign up with email forwarding (without access to the actual email client for the email that's being forwarded). So the only place I have access to my university email is from my gmail - I only have one email account to sign up to the mail app with.

I believe there's an option to sign up with google apps instead of the default mail forwarding option. I may end up having to change to that method instead of my current setup. It seems as if it would be much easier to set up the mail app like that.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well, not quite. What they're actually doing is having us sign up with email forwarding (without access to the actual email client for the email that's being forwarded). So the only place I have access to my university email is from my gmail - I only have one email account to sign up to the mail app with.

I believe there's an option to sign up with google apps instead of the default mail forwarding option. I may end up having to change to that method instead of my current setup. It seems as if it would be much easier to set up the mail app like that.

Ah... I see. Yes, you would need to use the Google Apps option to use this like you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.