Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bclizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Question,

In iCLoud, "documents and data" what is actually being backed up? What does it consist of? Just curious.

Are your actual apps included in that? As in, if i turn that off, and restore from icloud, will I not have my apps?

thanks in advance for clarification

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Question,

In iCLoud, "documents and data" what is actually being backed up? What does it consist of? Just curious.

Are your actual apps included in that? As in, if i turn that off, and restore from icloud, will I not have my apps?

thanks in advance for clarification

Documents and Data backs up documents and data pertaining to certain apps and the content you create/edit within it.

If you click on Documents and Data, it will show you which apps have data stored there that you are backing up.

For instance, for me, several games use this feature to save my game data/progress.

This option has nothing to do with backing up actual apps. If you turn it off, the only thing that would happen is that some of your data from certain apps will not be backed up. If you were to turn it off, back up your phone, restore it and apply that backup, you would still have all of your apps.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
It is mostly to be able to sync app data between devices with the same iCloud account. If you turn it off, an iCloud restore will still restore everything. Some apps, such as Infinity Blade II, will save your game in iCloud so you can retrieve it on another device using the same iCloud account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.