PDA

View Full Version : Google's New Nexus 7 Fails to Attract iPad Owners

MacRumors
Jul 25, 2013, 04:19 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/25/googles-new-nexus-7-fails-to-attract-ipad-owners/)

According to electronics buyback site Gazelle.com (http://www.gazelle.com), while Google's newly introduced (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/24/google-takes-aim-at-apple-with-new-nexus-7-google-play-games-and-chromecast/) Nexus 7 has proven to be a popular upgrade choice for users who already own the current version of the tablet, it isn't attracting iPad owners.

The site told TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/25/nexus-7-trade-ins-suggest-lots-of-upgraders-to-new-model-little-to-no-interest-from-the-ipad-crowd/) that after the new Nexus 7 was unveiled, there was a 333 percent increase in the number of Nexus 7 trade-ins compared to the same day last week, marking Gazelle's biggest Nexus 7 trade-in day to date. In the days ahead of Google's announcement, the site saw a 442 percent increase in the number of trade-ins.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/newnexus7.jpgThe Nexus 7 trade-in activity spiked so high that it made up nearly a quarter of all trade-ins for non-iPad tablets since the site began accepting them earlier this year.

Wednesday, the day Google made its announcement, was also the biggest Nexus 7 trade-in day at Gazelle to date, beating the next biggest day by 380 percent. That previous record was set when the new Nexus 7 leaked on July 17, which clearly prompted early adopters to take advantage of a small head start ahead of the big reveal.In comparison, Gazelle did not see any notable increase in iPad trade-ins during the Nexus 7 launch day, suggesting that the newly introduced tablet isn't as appealing to iPad owners. This is somewhat unsurprising given the "lock-in" that Apple's iOS ecosystem exhibits. During Tuesday's third quarter earnings call (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/23/apple-reports-q3-2013-quarterly-results-6-9-billion-profit-on-35-3-billion-in-revenue/), Tim Cook spoke about Apple's efforts to get buyers into the iOS ecosystem, saying "the stickiness of the platform is huge and it's great for customers."

The updated Nexus 7 offers a number of impressive components that give it a leg up over Apple's own 7.9-inch iPad mini, including a 1.5GHz quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, a nine hour battery life, and a $230 price tag (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nexus+7+7+inch+Tablet+with+16GB+Memory/1484847.p?id=1219052238174&skuId=1484847&st=nexus%207&cp=1&lp=1).

Article Link: Google's New Nexus 7 Fails to Attract iPad Owners (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/25/googles-new-nexus-7-fails-to-attract-ipad-owners/)

Jab00
Jul 25, 2013, 04:23 PM
Are we really all that surprised by this?

Pieira
Jul 25, 2013, 04:24 PM
How is iOS's "stickyness" great for customers?

Screwtape
Jul 25, 2013, 04:26 PM

The more people that are in an ecosystem, the better the ecosystem is. Just ask Windows Phone users.

bb426
Jul 25, 2013, 04:26 PM
Specs mean absolutely nothing if your software sucks.

And why the hell is the bezel 2x3 feet?

MegamanX
Jul 25, 2013, 04:28 PM
This is kind of like a no **** response. Just like the new iPad is not going to attract a lot of nexus owners either.

rmwebs
Jul 25, 2013, 04:29 PM
I'm not surprised, however I'd also like to see some better stats than from a buyback company. For all we know their buyback prices were poor.

ridwan47
Jul 25, 2013, 04:29 PM
Google, Increase the frame rate of android and remove the lags. Then I'll be interested.

needfx
Jul 25, 2013, 04:31 PM
in reality, it's sad that the ipad has no actual competition

ValSalva
Jul 25, 2013, 04:32 PM
The real story is that Gazelle is actually buying the original Nexus 7.

irDigital0l
Jul 25, 2013, 04:35 PM
slow news day?

----------

Google, Increase the frame rate of android and remove the lags. Then I'll be interested.

Pretty sure Android 4.2 Jellybean isn't laggy...I mean it was great when I tried it.

Amazing Iceman
Jul 25, 2013, 04:35 PM
"Me not interested, Tonto"

bushido
Jul 25, 2013, 04:38 PM
well ... they already have an iPad

mejsric
Jul 25, 2013, 04:39 PM
If you are old nexus 7 owners you had to trade to new nexud 7 coz the old one is so ****ing laaaggggsss... after 6 months its a terrible tablet had to get new one.

CFreymarc
Jul 25, 2013, 04:40 PM

But I'm sure a lot of Microsoft Surface tablets were presented for trade in.

SpamJunkie
Jul 25, 2013, 04:42 PM
I'm a huge Mac zealot, but it's only been 24 hours since the new Nexus 7 was release! This is nowhere near enough time to make such a claim. I find this headline a bit embarassing; to anyone but us Apple fanboys it's obviously exceptionally biased :(

RichTF
Jul 25, 2013, 04:42 PM
This is kind of like a no **** response. Just like the new iPad is not going to attract a lot of nexus owners either.

True, but given iPad's current market share advantage this mutual stickiness works much more in Apple's favour.

Scyanide
Jul 25, 2013, 04:43 PM
Would you like a bit of screen with that bezel?

Ryth
Jul 25, 2013, 04:47 PM

The iPhone doesn't have any actual competition either, but the media & Samsung would like you to believe otherwise.

Specs don't matter when it comes to user experience and these other companies have always based their success on touting specs and nothing more.

The company that blended design/tech has the upper hand and will have it for a long time...that company being Apple.

Hastings101
Jul 25, 2013, 04:47 PM
I don't think trade-ins are a good way to determine demand... very slow rumor day I take it? lol

Ryth
Jul 25, 2013, 04:48 PM

Yah that is ridiculous. Meanwhile Apple is going completely opposite with even less bezel coming up.

Shows you the direction of the designers huh?

Hastings101
Jul 25, 2013, 04:48 PM

No joke, that bezel is ridiculous.

Stack Overflow
Jul 25, 2013, 04:49 PM

Because it's 100% voluntary (i.e., no monopoly or legal requirement to run iOS). And as a result, if it wasn't good for consumers, they wouldn't want it and the "stickiness" wouldn't be there.

AgentElliot007
Jul 25, 2013, 04:49 PM
No surprise that the 1st gen owners want to trade up given how bad the 1st gen apparently runs after awhile. The bigger question is why anyone would expect this new model to be much better?

I get why some people choose certain Android phones over the iPhone, but as far as the iPad is concerned, it's clearly in a league of it's own. You've got to be very cheap or very biased to go in another direction, and either way, you're almost certainly bound to wind up with a profoundly compromised experience.

When I buy most other electronics, I tend to feel like I'm pissing my money away, because so many companies just sell junk that is practically designed to break after a year. That is how I would feel if I was buying a Nexus tablet at this point. I never feel that way when I buy Apple products. Apple's far from perfect and have plenty of things to continue to improve on, but I've got an iBook (the laptop, remember those?) that took a 4 foot fall while open onto a slate floor, losing it's screen in the process, but I can plug a monitor into it and the system still works, fairly well given it's age, specs and "the fall." And while I've bought every new iPad, I still have a 1st generation that resides on a coffee table, and while it won't run new games, it does most everything else still quite well.

I could go on, but the bottom line is, while certain Apple products carry a premium price, you still wind up with far more bang for your buck, and this is perhaps more true for the iPad than any Apple product.

epmatsw
Jul 25, 2013, 04:50 PM
Pretty sure Android 4.2 Jellybean isn't laggy...I mean it was great when I tried it.

It is on my Nexus 7 at least. I use it and an iPhone 5 on a daily basis, and the Nexus is noticeably less smooth during scrolls and animations. However, I would love to get my hands on the new one and see how it manages :D

halfapie
Jul 25, 2013, 04:51 PM
In comparison, Gazelle did not see any notable increase in iPad trade-ins during the Nexus 7 launch day, suggesting that the newly introduced tablet isn't as appealing to iPad owners.

Maybe that's because you can get double what Gazelle offers by selling your iPad on eBay or craigslist. How many iPads are traded into Gazelle anyway?

Stack Overflow
Jul 25, 2013, 04:51 PM
No, most definitely not "just like". I'm sure far more Nexus owners will be buying an iPad than iPad owners buying a Nexus. (in relative numbers, of course, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it were in absolute numbers as well.

But no matter how you look at it, the balance between the two will not be similar.

toondw
Jul 25, 2013, 04:53 PM
Its all very 'my dad's bigger than yours' . The new nexus 7 looks good and provided its not laggy like the last one I will happily give it a go. I'm ios but android is looking attractive these days.

Scyanide
Jul 25, 2013, 04:54 PM
Yah that is ridiculous. Meanwhile Apple is going completely opposite with even less bezel coming up.

Shows you the direction of the designers huh?

I suddenly had the badger song pop into my head...

bezel, bezel, bezel, bezel, bezel, bezel, bezel, ANDROID!, ANDROID!, bezel, bezel, bezel, bezel, bezel, bezel, bezel, ANDROID!, ANDROID!

rinse and repeat ..

firestarter
Jul 25, 2013, 05:02 PM
I wish Apple would take sound quality seriously.

I'd buy this over an iPad mini as a media playback device. Mono sound sucks, and Apple needs to up their game.

Lancetx
Jul 25, 2013, 05:05 PM
Its all very 'my dad's bigger than yours' . The new nexus 7 looks good and provided its not laggy like the last one I will happily give it a go. I'm ios but android is looking attractive these days.

Take another look at the sparse landscape of Android apps out there that are optimized for tablets, it's hardly looking attractive at all. That's why Android doesn't have much of a foothold in the tablet market, they simply don't have the tablet apps to compete (not to even mention the lag & issues with build quality of the first gen Nexus 7).

Pakaku
Jul 25, 2013, 05:09 PM
I have a perfectly good tablet already, why do I need to ditch it and pick up another one?

----------

I'd buy this over an iPad mini as a media playback device. Mono sound sucks, and Apple needs to up their game.

Headphones are beautiful things.

marksman
Jul 25, 2013, 05:10 PM
I was discussing this with someone recently and there are no real choices in the tablet Mamet, unlike the phone market. Well there is the choice between iPad and iPad mini I suppose, but when it comes to me seriously looking at tablet options I don't see any legitimate alternatives. This seems to indicate that the N7 goes to contrarians and people who are invested into the ecosystem. Android has had a much tougher time breaking the tablet barrier compared to the smartphone barrier.

One of the key reasons is an android smartphone does not have to be smart to sell. If it can make calls and text people will happily walk out with their "free" smartphone. Tablets are different. People buying them expect more out of them so low end and essentially incomplete tablets get no traction or market share like they do in smartphones.

jlnr
Jul 25, 2013, 05:11 PM
Hardware aside, that's a really nice default wallpaper. I just don't 'feel' the toned-down nature imagery that Apple and Samsung have used in the last years.

joejoejoe
Jul 25, 2013, 05:12 PM

In reality, it's sad that the iPad mini has a 1024 x 768 resolution like my windows desktop from middle school.

GSPice
Jul 25, 2013, 05:18 PM
In reality, it's sad that the iPad mini has a 1024 x 768 resolution like my windows desktop from middle school.

don't worry you'll be a sophomore soon and things will get better

alent1234
Jul 25, 2013, 05:19 PM
slow news day?

----------

No it's a laggy turd
I have a galaxy s3 and an iPhone 5 and the s3 is slow compared to my iPhone

gatearray
Jul 25, 2013, 05:20 PM

First, how old are you, and second, did your windows desktop in middle school have an 8" display?

The Mercurian
Jul 25, 2013, 05:21 PM
You know what I wanted to like the new Nexus 7. My ipad 3 is getting long in the tooth, ipad2mini retina is seemingly never arriving - this nexus 7 has great resolution and I would prefer something smaller

......but my God that thing is butt ugly. No thanks google. Keep your Nexus Bezel thank you very much

slesnick3
Jul 25, 2013, 05:24 PM
This article is rather ridiculous ... like I or anyone else would judge the potential success of a tablet, before it is even released, based on the trade-in figures of one, out of what is many, sites and companies to offer such a service. This is besides the fact that I would never take the low-ball amount of money Gazelle would offer compared to selling the device on e-bay or through other channels.

As for the Nexus 7, I own one. At first I sort of thought the same thing about the bezel before purchasing it but now that I own it, I never think twice about it. The picture in this article is very deceiving however as it is hard to see that there is a black bar along the bottom (where the menu buttons are) and a black bar along the top (where the notification icons are) which make those bezels look bigger than they really are -- by a great deal. The "big" part of the bezel is actually on the sides of the picture (landscape orientation) but for most of the time, they would be on the top and bottom (portrait orientation.) Regardless ... it is a 7" 1080p HD display, all in a package that fits in a coat pocket. Not too shabby.

For better pictures and comparison, check out: http://www.androidcentral.com/pictures-two-generations-nexus-7

FooMan2011
Jul 25, 2013, 05:24 PM
DAH..... It takes a genius to figure that out? My wife got an email today, she says; "wow! $300 for a brand new Dell laptop!" I said hell to the niz-o... Apple or nothing, I only wanna buy something like a computer once.

Breaking Good
Jul 25, 2013, 05:25 PM

I agree with what you say, needfx. It makes me wonder why Apple does not try to more to exploit this.

I recently bought a 1st Gen 32GB Nexus 7 when Staples was selling them for $169. It's a fine little tablet for $169, but I wouldn't pay more than that. I still prefer my iPad 2.

Maybe I've become a Steve Jobs fanboy and just don't want to admit it. The screen size of the full-size iPad really is ideal for a tablet. I can see why he was hesitant to commit to a smaller version.

ihuman:D
Jul 25, 2013, 05:26 PM
The more people that are in an ecosystem, the better the ecosystem is. Just ask Windows Phone users.

Well that's strange! I left iOS for Windows Phone and never looked back! And I probably never will!

Windows Phone was a breath of fresh air.

gotluck
Jul 25, 2013, 05:30 PM
Because it's 100% voluntary (i.e., no monopoly or legal requirement to run iOS). And as a result, if it wasn't good for consumers, they wouldn't want it and the "stickiness" wouldn't be there.

what about the many people, including me, that want iOS without the stickiness and no restrictions? I'd gladly 'voluntarily' not have to accept the 'only one app store' terms

I'd rather really own my device

benpatient
Jul 25, 2013, 05:35 PM

This is why people make fun of apple apologists.

Most of what you are calling "bezel" is the bottom and top menubars on the screen.

See this image:

http://i.imgur.com/BVJKSuz.jpg

ipad mini on left, new nexus 7 on right. adjusted contrast so you can see where the screen stops and the bexel begins. Side bezels are nearly identical. I feel like I should point out that the Nexus on the right has twice the DPI of the ipad mini next to it, and an extra 1.2 million pixels of real estate. But yeah, go ahead and talk about how clunky it is compared to the ipad.

bmunge
Jul 25, 2013, 05:36 PM
It seems like a great device with the resolution, ram, and processing power. Unfortunately it runs Android...

appledes7
Jul 25, 2013, 05:36 PM
I bought an iPad 3 on launch day and I pre-ordered a Nexus 7. I'm very excited for it.

benpatient
Jul 25, 2013, 05:37 PM
You know what I wanted to like the new Nexus 7. My ipad 3 is getting long in the tooth, ipad2mini retina is seemingly never arriving - this nexus 7 has great resolution and I would prefer something smaller

......but my God that thing is butt ugly. No thanks google. Keep your Nexus Bezel thank you very much

apparently you don't need a retina display because your eyes (and many others on here) can't tell the difference between the screen and the bezel.

adildacoolset
Jul 25, 2013, 05:39 PM
The iPhone doesn't have any actual competition either, but the media & Samsung would like you to believe otherwise.

Specs don't matter when it comes to user experience and these other companies have always based their success on touting specs and nothing more.

The company that blended design/tech has the upper hand and will have it for a long time...that company being Apple.

I completely agree with this. Samsung seem to be more concerned about overclocking their processors and adding bullet points to comparison sheets than engineering, you know, useful things.

topper24hours
Jul 25, 2013, 05:43 PM

Umm. No. try Google.
The phrase would be: "iPad mini stereo speakers"
Nice try though...

sulpfiction
Jul 25, 2013, 05:44 PM
Just like the new iPad is not going to attract a lot of nexus owners either.

I bet it does. It's so damn ugly.

mariusaz
Jul 25, 2013, 05:45 PM
This article is crap, I intend to buy a couple of them here as soon as they go on sale.

YeahBuddy
Jul 25, 2013, 05:46 PM

Unless they see the bezel in the new iPad...

firestarter
Jul 25, 2013, 05:47 PM
Umm. No. try Google.
Nice try though...

Lol. What... next to each other on the same side of the device?

Unless you have some sort of bizarre cranial deformity, you're going to want the speakers on opposite ends of the device to get a stereo effect when you're viewing media in landscape.

The hoops that fanboys jump through to declare a 'win'... I'm embarassed for you... :o :D

scottishwildcat
Jul 25, 2013, 05:48 PM

Well, just to buck the trend -- I'm a long-time Apple fan and Mac user, but I bought a Nexus 7 to replace my 1st gen iPad. Heck, even my parents-in-law have a Nexus 7, and if they can figure out how to use it, the software is just fine.

The width of the bezel makes no practical difference when you're holding it in your hand, other than keeping some fingerprints off the screen.

Ferc Kast
Jul 25, 2013, 05:52 PM

Try reading this; it could help improve your knowledge on the subject: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/31/ipad-mini-confirmed-to-carry-stereo-speakers/

JackieInCo
Jul 25, 2013, 05:54 PM
It is on my Nexus 7 at least. I use it and an iPhone 5 on a daily basis, and the Nexus is noticeably less smooth during scrolls and animations. However, I would love to get my hands on the new one and see how it manages :D

it is pretty laggy on my Nexus 7 as well. The lag is the tablets biggest complaint from what I have always read.

----------

The mini has stereo speakers.

xraydoc
Jul 25, 2013, 05:55 PM
I ordered one. Looked like an interesting toy to play with. I bought an original Nexus 7 before the iPad mini came out. Screen sounds pretty impressive.

firestarter
Jul 25, 2013, 05:59 PM
Try reading this; it could help improve your knowledge on the subject: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/31/ipad-mini-confirmed-to-carry-stereo-speakers/

Please re-read my post. I know exactly what the iPad mini speaker config is.

These speakers are next to each other on one of the short ends of the device. How are you going to get any stereo effect when viewing any video media in landscape mode??

Answer: You're not - it's a complete design fail.

whachagott
Jul 25, 2013, 06:00 PM
Maybe people aren't selling their iPads to Gazelle for a massive markdown. Maybe they're selling on Craigslist. Just saying.

nepalisherpa
Jul 25, 2013, 06:01 PM
This is such a stupid analysis. Maybe the reason iPad owners are not trading in with Gazelle is that their offers are crap. Maybe they are selling their iPads locally. Just because they are not seeing iPad trade-ins does not mean that iPad owners are not attracted. What a dumb analysis.

donutbagel
Jul 25, 2013, 06:07 PM
Gee, I wonder why :rolleyes:
But this analysis is terrible.

HarryKNN21
Jul 25, 2013, 06:27 PM
Most stupid news I have ever seen. iPad owners would not love to own another tablet, thats all.

rdlink
Jul 25, 2013, 06:30 PM
And in other news, the sun came up today.

----------

I ordered one. Looked like an interesting toy to play with. I bought an original Nexus 7 before the iPad mini came out. Screen sounds pretty impressive.

I bought the first Nexus 7 when it first came out, also. Just to see what had happened to Android since the last time I had owned one (6 devices total). It was the best Android device I've ever owned. But in the end it was still an Android. So I sold it for $15 more than I paid for it.

samcraig
Jul 25, 2013, 06:39 PM
Here's what's misleading about this headline...

Not everyone trades in their tech to get new tech. Many people pass it on or keep multiple devices.

Rogifan
Jul 25, 2013, 06:47 PM
Maybe that's because you can get double what Gazelle offers by selling your iPad on eBay or craigslist. How many iPads are traded into Gazelle anyway?

Do eBay and Craigslist offer more for non iPads too?

----------

Here's what's misleading about this headline...

Not everyone trades in their tech to get new tech. Many people pass it on or keep multiple devices.

Yet they say they saw a huge increase in Nexus 7 trade ins.

The Mercurian
Jul 25, 2013, 06:49 PM
apparently you don't need a retina display because your eyes (and many others on here) can't tell the difference between the screen and the bezel.

Your own eyes don't seem the best since you apparently can't see that even considering the task bar the bezel is still much bigger than the ipad Mini.

Thing is ugly. Simple as.

samcraig
Jul 25, 2013, 06:50 PM
Yet they say they saw a huge increase in Nexus 7 trade ins.

So that doesn't mean the Nexus "fails" to attract iPad owners. It just means that people are not ALSO trading in their iPads.

I have an iPad. If I got a Nexus 7 - I wouldn't trade mine in. First of all - they are two different sizes. Second - I have a wife and child would could use the iPad still when I'm not using it.

I don't think I'm an exception either. Again - the headline doesn't tell the whole story.

More accurately - No increase in iPad trade-ins on Launch of Nexus 7

"Fails to Attract" cannot be determined.

Stack Overflow
Jul 25, 2013, 06:52 PM
what about the many people, including me, that want iOS without the stickiness and no restrictions? I'd gladly 'voluntarily' not have to accept the 'only one app store' terms

What about you? I don't think you seem to understand the term "voluntary". Apple has offered a product which you don't like. It seems to me you are doing right by yourself to not buy it.

And this is exactly the point I was making. That if you accept what Apple has to offer, you get a nice ecosystem. If not, then the "stickiness" has no negative impact on you.

I'd rather really own my deviceI also think you don't understand the term "own". I fully own my iOS devices, and so would you were to you to buy one. What makes you think otherwise?

foolishfocus
Jul 25, 2013, 06:54 PM
Maybe folks who have the iPad mini are interested in trying a new device as well as keeping their Apple product. At $229, I'm sure some folks are simply buying a Nexus 7 and keeping their Mini as well. Our household has a 4S, Nexus 4, iPad and Nexus 7.... looking to add a Lumia 925 in the near future.... can't we all just get along?

samcraig
Jul 25, 2013, 06:55 PM
Maybe folks who have the iPad mini are interested in trying a new device as well as keeping their Apple product. At $229, I'm sure some folks are simply buying a Nexus 7 and keeping their Mini as well. Our household has a 4S, Nexus 4, iPad and Nexus 7.... looking to add a Lumia 925 in the near future.... can't we all just get along?

That was my point. The headline here and "determination" is false logic.

mrmarts
Jul 25, 2013, 06:55 PM
"This is somewhat unsurprising given the "lock-in" that Apple's iOS ecosystem exhibits. During Tuesday's third quarter earnings call, Tim Cook spoke about Apple's efforts to get buyers into the iOS ecosystem, saying "the stickiness of the platform is huge and it's great for customers."

Apple has me caught to its web with so many apps, movies and soon to be books, I cannot make the switch to android. On a positive note Apple wins for design the Nexus 7 like the Galaxy S4 gives an Apple user the impression that Samsung's products are cheaply built.

Stack Overflow
Jul 25, 2013, 06:57 PM
So that doesn't mean the Nexus "fails" to attract iPad owners. It just means that people are not ALSO trading in their iPads.
No, it means that no one is trading in their iPads for one.

I have an iPad. If I got a Nexus 7 - I wouldn't trade mine in. First of all - they are two different sizes. Second - I have a wife and child would could use the iPad still when I'm not using it.Notice how you aren't providing a counter-example. "If" you got a Nexus 7.

But you didn't. Hence you are proving the article correct.

I don't think I'm an exception either.And neither do I. You, like the vast majority of iPad owners, will not be getting a Nexus 7 any time soon.

Again - the headline doesn't tell the whole story.It never claimed to. It claimed to provide a single data point.

More accurately - No increase in iPad trade-ins on Launch of Nexus 7That's exactly what it stated.

"Fails to Attract" cannot be determined.Yes, it can. And this is the first data point to demonstrate that. I'm not sure why you're having such a hard time following it. Did you expect a 100% proof of an absolute claim?

Hastings101
Jul 25, 2013, 06:58 PM

Most of what you are calling "bezel" is the bottom and top menubars on the screen.

See this image:

Image (http://i.imgur.com/BVJKSuz.jpg)

ipad mini on left, new nexus 7 on right. adjusted contrast so you can see where the screen stops and the bexel begins. Side bezels are nearly identical. I feel like I should point out that the Nexus on the right has twice the DPI of the ipad mini next to it, and an extra 1.2 million pixels of real estate. But yeah, go ahead and talk about how clunky it is compared to the ipad.

I didn't compare it to the iPad :p and an Apple "apologist"? The only Apple products I own are Macs.

The Nexus 7 is ugly in my opinion and there is still too much bezel.

juanmanas
Jul 25, 2013, 07:01 PM

I'd rather really own my device

I have got the feeling you don't know what stickiness mean

samcraig
Jul 25, 2013, 07:02 PM
No, it means that no one is trading in their iPads for one.

Notice how you aren't providing a counter-example. "If" you got a Nexus 7.

But you didn't. Hence you are proving the article correct.

And neither do I. You, like the vast majority of iPad owners, will not be getting a Nexus 7 any time soon.

It never claimed to. It claimed to provide a single data point.

That's exactly what it stated.

Yes, it can. And this is the first data point to demonstrate that. I'm not sure why you're having such a hard time following it. Did you expect a 100% proof of an absolute claim?

Well since I didn't pre-order - you are correct. But that doesn't mean I'm not getting one. How you can make such an absurd comment as that I won't be getting one anytime soon is beyond me.

Clearly you and I have different opinions on what facts are being present by the misleading headline and article. You're free to evaluate it how you want. As am I.

I don't expect 100% accuracy or proof points. But this isn't even close. It's shoddy journalism and/or link bait.

have a nice evening.

BigJayhawk
Jul 25, 2013, 07:05 PM
Well that's strange! I left iOS for Windows Phone and never looked back! And I probably never will!

Windows Phone was a breath of fresh air.

"Never LOOKING back" would be NOT hanging around the MacRumors site checking out the iStuff posts. If you were posting this on a Windoze Phone site then you'd be SLIGHTLY more believable.

:eek:

gotluck
Jul 25, 2013, 07:08 PM
I have got the feeling you don't know what stickiness mean

i guess.. stickiness to me means the consumer not wanting/ not able to leave the ecosystem.

lilcosco08
Jul 25, 2013, 07:11 PM

It's almost as if Asus wants people to use the tablet without their fingers covering the screen.

jonnysods
Jul 25, 2013, 07:12 PM
I got rid of my iPad 3 and I phone 5 and got a nexus 4 and 7. Very pleased with both, and I had been using iOS since 2008.

tdtran1025
Jul 25, 2013, 07:14 PM
From an objective perpective, it appears Google tries so hard to push their gear against Apple, even at the cost of forsaking any profit. On the contrary, Apple is determined to cut throat.

Technarchy
Jul 25, 2013, 07:17 PM
Bezel-ishes. Looks like ass, and even seeing the scrolling in the hands on vids looks laggy.

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/streams/2013/July/130725/8C8393132-130725-nexus-7-tablet3-225p.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

EdwardC
Jul 25, 2013, 07:25 PM
I have an iPad 1, 2, Mac Mini, 4S and 5 but also own a Nexus 7 and appear to be the only owner who's Nexus isn't laggy??? For $200.00 its a great device.

Dionte
Jul 25, 2013, 07:26 PM
Can I bring all my apps that I bought the past 5 years?

zunairryk
Jul 25, 2013, 08:35 PM
They are offering $59 for a 'flawless' nexus 16gb. I have no idea why people sell them their gadgets. It's a total ripoff.

richeyty
Jul 25, 2013, 08:36 PM
Duh. The ipad mini came out almost a year ago and it is barely better- and thats just hardware

.Asa
Jul 25, 2013, 08:38 PM
It's amazing how biased all the comments are. A lot of people use Nexus 7's and love them. People on other forums are praising the new N7.
I guess this is an Apple based site...

irDigital0l
Jul 25, 2013, 08:39 PM
No it's a laggy turd
I have a galaxy s3 and an iPhone 5 and the s3 is slow compared to my iPhone

Yea Touchwiz sucks, stock Android 4.2 does not.

A Hebrew
Jul 25, 2013, 08:43 PM
How is this news

----------

"Never LOOKING back" would be NOT hanging around the MacRumors site checking out the iStuff posts. If you were posting this on a Windoze Phone site then you'd be SLIGHTLY more believable.

Contrary to popular belief amongst 5 year olds, the word is spelled with an s, making it 'Windows'.

DavidLeblond
Jul 25, 2013, 08:52 PM

I dunno, my Nexus 7 is ... smooth, but very glitchy. I get lots of flickers and the thing dies all the time. But all the people I know who are stuck with Gingerbread think it is the best thing they've ever touched.

SockRolid
Jul 25, 2013, 08:57 PM

Tell that to Ballmer. LOL.

Orlandoech
Jul 25, 2013, 09:02 PM
Are we really all that surprised by this?

I know I don't get it lol. Even with Inferior hardware I wouldn't trade my iPad mini for a nexus 7.

Ursadorable
Jul 25, 2013, 09:06 PM
I have the original nexus 7.. bought it the month it came out. The combination of clunky OS and lousy user experience relegated it to the bathroom as a replacement for the magazine rack. About all I found it good for.

----------

I dunno, my Nexus 7 is ... smooth, but very glitchy. I get lots of flickers and the thing dies all the time. But all the people I know who are stuck with Gingerbread think it is the best thing they've ever touched.

How did you get it with gingerbread? Mine came with jellybean, and I got it within a month of release.

Dontazemebro
Jul 25, 2013, 09:33 PM
I have the original nexus 7.. bought it the month it came out. The combination of clunky OS and lousy user experience relegated it to the bathroom as a replacement for the magazine rack. About all I found it good for.

----------

How did you get it with gingerbread? Mine came with jellybean, and I got it within a month of release.

I'm sure he said his friends with gingerbread devices are envious

Reading comprehension FTL

cdmoore74
Jul 25, 2013, 09:38 PM
As a Android fanboi if you don't like it then don't buy it; just move on. I bought a iPad 3 on launch day (my first iPad by the way) and I just did not like it. I sold it for the same price I bought it at. When the original Nexus came out I fell in love but I sold it because the Note 2 made owning a tablet redundant. Then I got the idea to use the Nexus 7 as a GPS for my motorcycle so I bought a used Nexus 7 for $120 since the base iPad mini lacks GPS. Now I'm tempted to get a iphone 5s and a Nexus 7 2013 just to mix it up because a 6" phone and 7" tablet is too close together.
Point is let's stop all the hate. Sometimes it's nice to mix it up. Both operating systems and hardware has it's positives and negatives. A lot of you guys are bad mouthing the Nexus 7 because of the bezel. I actually like the idea of not accidentally touching the screen with my big hands. And as you can see in the picture having the bezel is a must if your using a Ram grip.

Picture shows why I will not go with a 10" tablet or a tablet without a GPS chip. And yes; my Motorcycle is Android green.

jm001
Jul 25, 2013, 09:39 PM

"This is Zohan! I always like to get sticky with the women."

Droidrage729
Jul 25, 2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah that's not surprising its a nexus 7 I mean don't get me wrong I had one when I had an android ecosystem set up but why would I buy one at this point brings nothing to the table for an iPad owner. Just an inconvenience as far as I'm concerned. Great price great device but I have a 4th Gen iPad soooooo no thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

jonathanxx1
Jul 25, 2013, 09:46 PM
First hi,
im new to the forum, not new to the apple world but a new ios user.
I was a die hard android fan, i had a nexus 7 , that i sold not long ago, because i was bored of android lag and the ugly UI.
To be honest i wouldnt buy the new nexus 7 , first it look very ugly, not enough screen on that tablet, they said that they slimmed it on the side but it look like they forgot up and down.
I have nothing against android, i have a nexus 4 and its a very good phone, but the n7 , no thanks.
The 1st gen nexus 7 had big specs, but it didnt felt like it at all, quad core, tegra 3 and so on.
Now i purchased an ipod touch 5th gen , the cheaper the 16 gb , its dual core and its faster than the n7 that i had.
what i feel is that apple makes better products with better os and its a lot more stable than android.
I have an imac g5 that still go strong after all these years.

rdlink
Jul 25, 2013, 09:54 PM
I didn't compare it to the iPad :p and an Apple "apologist"? The only Apple products I own are Macs.

The Nexus 7 is ugly in my opinion and there is still too much bezel.

I completely disagree with you: Candy Canes are not delicious.

cdmoore74
Jul 25, 2013, 09:59 PM
From an objective perpective, it appears Google tries so hard to push their gear against Apple, even at the cost of forsaking any profit. On the contrary, Apple is determined to cut throat.

Push their gear against Apple??? Google has made the Apple experience better by bringing out iOS apps such as maps to save Apple from themselves. And what about that Chromecast dongle which they demoed yesterday on Apple phones and computers? It is rare to have Google badmouth Apple during a live demonstration. So far Google has showed nothing but love for Apple and it's users. On the other hand potshots are taken at Google during key Apple announcements; very classy indeed.
The Nexus tablet is just a vehicle to get you buying/using Google products. Do you really blame Google for making a premium tablet that aims to be better than the iPad at a decent cost? Blame Apple for not making a better tablet then the Nexus. That's who you should be mad at.

Stack Overflow
Jul 25, 2013, 10:49 PM
Well since I didn't pre-order - you are correct. But that doesn't mean I'm not getting one. How you can make such an absurd comment as that I won't be getting one anytime soon is beyond me.

People who are planning to get one soon generally don't talk in hypotheticals like you did:

I have an iPad. If I got a Nexus 7 - I wouldn't trade mine in.

Note you didn't speculate about what you are planning to do, but what you would do. So, no, it's not absurd to glean from that you aren't getting one any time soon. Are you planning on it? If so, I stand corrected. Now, quit with the hyperbolic nonsense.

Clearly you and I have different opinions on what facts are being present by the misleading headline and article. You're free to evaluate it how you want. As am I.Yes, you're free to blow something completely out of proportion. The article is factual, the headline summarizes the article. Why so uptight?

ifij775
Jul 25, 2013, 10:51 PM
The side-by-side comparison to the ipad mini says it all, I'd take the mini any day.

iSteve-O
Jul 25, 2013, 11:09 PM
Hmm, never heard of Gazelle before.

Regardless, I don't blame them for wanting to upgrade. The new Nexus 7 is the best non-10in tablet.

Yes, better than the iPad Mini with the iPad 2 screen resolution.

Brittany246
Jul 25, 2013, 11:26 PM
Going from an iPad to a Nexus 7 would be a downgrade. It was a huge mistake buying the first gen N7 last summer. It's really a POS tablet. Completely overrated...

Lancer
Jul 25, 2013, 11:32 PM
Not interested, I want a Mini, with Retina LED please :)

Fruit Cake
Jul 25, 2013, 11:37 PM
A bezel isn't all that bad, I had a GN2 which has a thin bezel, being a phone and all, I often find myself accidentally touching the screen unintentionally. The iPad has a bit of bezel but I don't accidentally touch the screen unintentionally. Thin bezel makes the device harder to hold..

Jibbajabba
Jul 25, 2013, 11:48 PM
slow news day?

----------

Its not. It's like 'Safari is Snappie' posts - you will always have that :)

vvswarup
Jul 26, 2013, 12:09 AM
Push their gear against Apple??? Google has made the Apple experience better by bringing out iOS apps such as maps to save Apple from themselves. And what about that Chromecast dongle which they demoed yesterday on Apple phones and computers? It is rare to have Google badmouth Apple during a live demonstration. So far Google has showed nothing but love for Apple and it's users. On the other hand potshots are taken at Google during key Apple announcements; very classy indeed.
The Nexus tablet is just a vehicle to get you buying/using Google products. Do you really blame Google for making a premium tablet that aims to be better than the iPad at a decent cost? Blame Apple for not making a better tablet then the Nexus. That's who you should be mad at.

That's absolutely right. They're out to push their gear against Apple. And Google has certainly taken potshots at Apple.

And Doyle seriously think Google created maps for Apple to "save Apple from themselves?" Yeah, right. How do you explain the fact that there was no turn-by-turn or vector maps until Apple Maps came out, along with rumors indicating that Google refused to allow Apple to implement those features without concessions? How is that showing "nothing but love for Apple and its users?"

Google wants in on the iOS cash generating machine. They had that when the maps partnership with Apple. They scrambled to get their app in the App Store when Apple stopped using their backend. And trust me, they sure did take potshots at Apple.

Jibbajabba
Jul 26, 2013, 12:13 AM
Going from an iPad to a Nexus 7 would be a downgrade. It was a huge mistake buying the first gen N7 last summer. It's really a POS tablet. Completely overrated...

Going to a cheaper device is a downgrade? Come on now - can't be, can it?

Brittany246
Jul 26, 2013, 12:16 AM
Going to a cheaper device is a downgrade? Come on now - can't be, can it?

Cheaper doesn't always mean worse. In this case it does.

posse
Jul 26, 2013, 12:24 AM
I never understand why people always introduce Android devices with specs like CPU speed and amount of RAM ... It's so like a PC back in the 90's.

Hastings101
Jul 26, 2013, 12:27 AM
I completely disagree with you: Candy Canes are not delicious.

Shame on you, candy canes are universally loved

olowott
Jul 26, 2013, 12:42 AM
Thats one cute tablet, oh wait, its got a really big head or bezel :confused: :D

google, thanks for releasing this before the Retina mini, now apple knows what to do ;)

BvizioN
Jul 26, 2013, 12:43 AM

See this image:

Dude, I have seen them side by side and I have tried them (iPad mini and the actual gen N7, not this new one). That thing is pure ugly. Actual screen is smaller, bezels are thicker!

And here in Apple related rumors forum you are surprised that it is not being liked so much??

DJTaurus
Jul 26, 2013, 01:01 AM

lets see if it will last more than a year :p

iPcdebb
Jul 26, 2013, 01:02 AM
Just because Gazelle didn't get any takers on their site does not mean iPad owners aren't interested. I own an iPad mini, and I'm actually interested. Meaning, I might get one to go with my iPad mini, not to replace it. I sold my first gen Nexus 7 to get my mini and glad I did so, but there's some things that Apple doesn't offer that the geek in me wants to tinker with (NFC). It's clear I'm all Apple, and I'm only digging deeper into this abyss......

I'm a gadget geek, and I've done the iStuff/Android dance back and forth too many times. I've decided to have a sordid affair and just have both. I'm married to Apple, but having an affair with green men sometimes :D

benpatient
Jul 26, 2013, 01:03 AM
Dude, I have seen them side by side and I have tried them (iPad mini and the actual gen N7, not this new one). That thing is pure ugly. Actual screen is smaller, bezels are thicker!

And here in Apple related rumors forum you are surprised that it is not being liked so much??

oh wow, you tried the original n7? wow. note that the picture above is of the new n7, which has exactly the bezel it looks to have in that picture. nothing was changed on the photo except the levels curve.

i've owned one for the last 6 months and it has replaced my non-work mac laptop completely. last time the macbook got awoken was when i needed the firewire port to save my mac pro via target disk mode.

everyone in my family has ipads. none of them use them for much of anything...after the first 3-6 months, they get handed off to the kids and turn into portable minecraft players with the occasional angry birds or temple run.

Menneisyys2
Jul 26, 2013, 01:29 AM
Umm. No. try Google.
Nice try though...

Do them really provide perceivably stereo sound? They don't.

Dr McKay
Jul 26, 2013, 01:33 AM
Bezel-ishes. Looks like ass, and even seeing the scrolling in the hands on vids looks laggy.

Image (http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/streams/2013/July/130725/8C8393132-130725-nexus-7-tablet3-225p.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg)

Well the bezels on the side aren't that big, however the bezels on the top and bottom remind me of the gigantic ones on the iPhone :cool:

http://static.o2.co.uk/www/img/iphone-device/iphone5_sidebar.png

Do you really expect people to value your comments if you have to resort to childish name calling? I'm pretty sure you'd assume I have nothing of value to add to a discussion if I started my comment with "OmGz! TeH Crapple R Teh Suckzzzorz!"

juanmanas
Jul 26, 2013, 01:44 AM
i guess.. stickiness to me means the consumer not wanting/ not able to leave the ecosystem.

In my case, its more of "not wanting" rather than not being able. I could always change iCloud for other systems, most apps are now available in other platforms, but the ecosystem at Apple works just well.

BvizioN
Jul 26, 2013, 01:57 AM
Do you really expect people to value your comments if you have to resort to childish name calling? I'm pretty sure you'd assume I have nothing of value to add to a discussion if I started my comment with "OmGz! TeH Crapple R Teh Suckzzzorz!"

You are right about his comment and his name calling but I am sorry to say that he does have a point. You are actually looking back. But hey... its all just normal.

And you are right about the bezels of the iPhone. They are far too thick for a smartphone. One thing I wish Apple would change on their iPhone 6 and make these bezels thinner.

Dr McKay
Jul 26, 2013, 02:20 AM
You are right about his comment and his name calling but I am sorry to say that he does have a point. You are actually looking back. But hey... its all just normal.

And you are right about the bezels of the iPhone. They are far too thick for a smartphone. One thing I wish Apple would change on their iPhone 6 and make these bezels thinner.

Im not disputing he has a point, I just feel people who resort to name calling come across as immature and heavily biased.

diazj3
Jul 26, 2013, 03:55 AM

regardless of the OS, I think that some bezel is necessary to handle the device comfortably - perhaps this one is too big, can't tell until I handle it personally... but IMO the iPad's bezel is just the right size on the top and bottom, and perhaps a bit small on the sides....

I don't understand why some people (not you necessarily) argue for smaller bezels in each new model. As much as I care for design and aesthetics, a bezel-less iPad would be a real pita to handle...

Chub
Jul 26, 2013, 03:56 AM
In truth the Nexus 7 is only really competing with the iPad Mini and not the large slab of cheese iPad, which kind of makes sense. Anyhow for a budget tablet the Nexus really doesn't look that bad and is certainly better than the current Mini, which will hopefully be seeing an upgrade soon.

Gigaman
Jul 26, 2013, 04:22 AM
There is no good reason for me to own a nexus 7. Nothing groundbreaking here, this is no surprise to me.

everything-i
Jul 26, 2013, 04:32 AM
The size of the bezel on this is no surprise, Apple have invested a great deal of resources into developing algorithms to reject false taps if your fingers holding the device stray into the touch area. Without that tech you have to make the bezel large enough to hold the device without your fingers entering the touch area. This is why the large bezel on the iPad is there and why it seems like its going to disappear with the next version as the mini has proved this edge touch rejection technology works well.

SlCKB0Y
Jul 26, 2013, 04:54 AM
In comparison, Gazelle did not see any notable increase in iPad trade-ins during the Nexus 7 launch day, suggesting that the newly introduced tablet isn't as appealing to iPad owners.

Errr, or it could just mean people are happy to have an iOS device AND an Android device, whereas people don't want two generations of the same Android tablet.

Causation fail macrumors!

macs4nw
Jul 26, 2013, 04:54 AM

The more people that are in an ecosystem, the better the ecosystem is.....

That, or maybe Tim just meant, the ecosystem is great for customers (rather than the stickiness of the platform).

mdlooker
Jul 26, 2013, 06:06 AM
I don't care about Nexus. I still have the iPad 2 and will upgrade when the iPad Mini comes out in Retina.

samcraig
Jul 26, 2013, 06:51 AM
People who are planning to get one soon generally don't talk in hypotheticals like you did:

Note you didn't speculate about what you are planning to do, but what you would do. So, no, it's not absurd to glean from that you aren't getting one any time soon. Are you planning on it? If so, I stand corrected. Now, quit with the hyperbolic nonsense.

Yes, you're free to blow something completely out of proportion. The article is factual, the headline summarizes the article. Why so uptight?

You really need to stop making assumptions about someone you don't know and who is telling you the opposite. You're so far off base.

Yes - I do plan on getting one. What my time frame is - I am not sure. I'm not buying one this week. That's specific. I might get one in a month or two. I would imagine that by the end of the year - I will have bought one. There. Now you can avoid any assumptions and making them look silly.

You're really trying to analyze me - it's not working. Complete fail in fact. When I buy a Nexus 7 - I will not be selling or trading in my iPad. What hyperbole? Do you know what that word means?

And on you last point. I'm not uptight (another assumption). As I said - you can think what you want. And so can I.

----------

Errr, or it could just mean people are happy to have an iOS device AND an Android device, whereas people don't want two generations of the same Android tablet.

Causation fail macrumors!

Exactly what I've been saying and yet at least one person here believes that the headline and article are completely accurate.

iPadPublisher
Jul 26, 2013, 06:57 AM
I guess it's the headline that bothers me here. At this stage in the game, I just don't see why any other tablet would expect to poach off many iPad users. Note that I said "many" not "any."

I'm a day one iPad adopter. I have several hundred dollars invested in software, maybe even pushing $1k. I've been living with these apps for years now, some of them have literally three years worth of historical data. Things like health and financial apps. The longer I use them, the more valuable they become.

A bigger screen, or an SD slot isn't going to woo me away. I can't transfer any of these apps, I'd lose historical data in 95% of them, my dozens of iBook purchases cannot migrate over. Who's gonna abandon all that for a few gimmicky features, or a few specs that "beat" the current-gen iPad?

StuBeck
Jul 26, 2013, 07:37 AM
Maybe if they gave a bit more for an iPad you would see more switching. The fact they're giving $150 for a brand new iPad Mini means most people won't be trading them in.

ihuman:D
Jul 26, 2013, 08:21 AM

I'm here for Mac news, you know, MAC Rumors. This article was also about the ANDROID Nexus 7 as well as the iCrap.

By the way "I never LOOKING back" does not make sense, that's why I wrote "I never LOOKED back". Go back to school noob. ;)

And I am on WPCentral. ;)

fallenjt
Jul 26, 2013, 10:08 AM

See this image:

Side by side comparison makes N7 look even uglier. Bezels relative to the size of tablet. iPad mini looks balanced because of its screen width while N7 just looks like a big phone. In portrait mode, 4.75" iPad min vs 3.71" N7 is huge difference almost 30%. And in what mode people use the most on portable devices? PORTRAIT. That's why I never like an idea of 16:9 aspect on tablets.
Drop half size of top & bottom bezels on N7, now we're talking about the look.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 26, 2013, 10:09 AM
Why would it? I mean who's going to ditch their time and $ investment in iOS at this point? Getting iOS users to switch to Android is as futile as getting PC users to switch to Mac in 1995.

fallenjt
Jul 26, 2013, 10:09 AM

Lol

fallenjt
Jul 26, 2013, 10:20 AM
I got rid of my iPad 3 and I phone 5 and got a nexus 4 and 7. Very pleased with both, and I had been using iOS since 2008.

Got rid of my BMW X5 and 335i and got Hyundai Santa Fe and Sonata. Very pleased with both, and I had been using BMW engineering since 2008.
How does it sound to you?

Renzatic
Jul 26, 2013, 11:06 AM
Got rid of my BMW X5 and 335i and got Hyundai Santa Fe and Sonata. Very pleased with both, and I had been using BMW engineering since 2008.

Comparing cars to tablets? You'd think after all the times this analogy has blown up in peoples faces, they'd quit using it.

BUT NOPE!

topper24hours
Jul 26, 2013, 11:15 AM
Lol. What... next to each other on the same side of the device?

Unless you have some sort of bizarre cranial deformity, you're going to want the speakers on opposite ends of the device to get a stereo effect when you're viewing media in landscape.

The hoops that fanboys jump through to declare a 'win'... I'm embarassed for you... :o :D

Lol, I use studio reference monitors for my speakers. You can't get any kind of quality sound from a tablet speaker/speakers. So, you can honestly take your condescending tone & mock "embarrassment" for me and choke on it. The "stereo" speakers on one tablet are NOT going to be significantly better than the "stereo" speakers on another.
The point I was making to the op is that, while the normal sized iPad did NOT previously have stereo speakers, the iPad mini DOES.
Try Googling it if you don't believe me. Also, be careful with snarky comments. You WILL get your witless self owned..
=0)

Ethere
Jul 26, 2013, 11:24 AM
Wow $62.00 for my 32GB Nexus 7 Gazelle? Really? They should just redirect to either Ebay or Craigslist for that offer.

jonnysods
Jul 26, 2013, 11:43 AM

Like freedom to choose whatever the heck I want.

technowar
Jul 26, 2013, 11:44 AM
Man, I was just so ready to buy one. Might well change my mind.

BornAgainMac
Jul 26, 2013, 12:09 PM
Why does the branding always have 7 in it? What happened to Nexus 8?

Edit: Nevermind, I see they have a Nexus 4 for Phones, Nexus 7 for Mini Tablets, and Nexus 10 for full size tablets. They will continue to just offer updates to the same thing.

nepalisherpa
Jul 26, 2013, 03:14 PM
Why does the branding always have 7 in it? What happened to Nexus 8?

Edit: Nevermind, I see they have a Nexus 4 for Phones, Nexus 7 for Mini Tablets, and Nexus 10 for full size tablets. They will continue to just offer updates to the same thing.

The numbers represent screen sizes.

firestarter
Jul 26, 2013, 04:36 PM
Lol, I use studio reference monitors for my speakers. You can't get any kind of quality sound from a tablet speaker/speakers.
But a tablet is for on the move. If I'm listening on my Genelecs, then I'll be sat watching a larger screen... why would I be streaming audio from a 7 inch tablet?

So, you can honestly take your condescending tone & mock "embarrassment" for me and choke on it. The "stereo" speakers on one tablet are NOT going to be significantly better than the "stereo" speakers on another.
Speakers separated by some distance horizontally will at least give a stereo effect, compared to the iPad mini's speakers mounted on top of each other. I'm having difficulty working out how you can't understand that.

The point I was making to the op is that, while the normal sized iPad did NOT previously have stereo speakers, the iPad mini DOES.
And they're mounted on top of each other when you actually use the device in landscape, thus removing any stereo effect at all.

Your point is as pointless as the iPad mini's 'stereo'.

Try Googling it if you don't believe me.
I think we already established that I accept that the mini has two speakers mounted an inch apart and vertically one above the other...

Also, be careful with snarky comments. You WILL get your witless self owned..
=0)

Top tip, noob - try making a sensible point. Personally, I don't live in a world where I carry my Genelecs around when I'm watching a video on a 7 inch tablet... nor do I view movie content in portrait mode. Do you?

joejoejoe
Jul 26, 2013, 05:52 PM
First, how old are you, and second, did your windows desktop in middle school have an 8" display?

I don't know why my age makes a difference. I'm 25.

I've used a mini, not having a retina display (especially when Apple pioneered the tech into the market), is sad. iPads are geared very well for content consumption. Both images and especially text look like crap on an 8 inch display of that resolution. The pixel density alone is a huge + for the Nexus.

It's amazing how much people here jump at the opportunity to bash anyone who promotes non-apple devices. I own an iMac, MacBook Air, iPad 3, and iPhone 5. My business isn't going to Google anytime soon, but the Mini having a crap resolution screen, and the fact that rumors point to its next refresh not going Retina yet, is, well, sad.

donnaw
Jul 26, 2013, 06:44 PM
The premise if the article is flawed. It seems to assume that the majority of people who have iPads actually use a trade-in service. Frankly I simply don't think that to be true.

I have an iPad 3 and I fully intend to upgrade to the new iPad when it comes out in the next few months. But I also intend to buy the new Nexus 7. I'm certainly NOT going to trade-in my iPad for the Nexus. I'll pass it to my husband and his iPad 2 will go to the grandkids.

Look, the majority of people who own Apple devices aren't stupid. And frankly trading in any idevice in good shape to one of these services like Gazelle is pretty stupid when the resell value is so much better. And Apple owners rarely fail to point out that that is a major consideration for their purchases. So while the article gives some stats, those numbers are not likely to represent much more than a very small subset of folks.

Also, it's NOT A WAR people. There is nothing wrong with owning devices of different flavors if it suits your needs. This simply isn't an 'us or them' fight.

What is it with the 'winning over' BS?

topper24hours
Jul 26, 2013, 07:11 PM
But a tablet is for on the move. If I'm listening on my Genelecs, then I'll be sat watching a larger screen... why would I be streaming audio from a 7 inch tablet?

Speakers separated by some distance horizontally will at least give a stereo effect, compared to the iPad mini's speakers mounted on top of each other. I'm having difficulty working out how you can't understand that.

And they're mounted on top of each other when you actually use the device in landscape, thus removing any stereo effect at all.

Your point is as pointless as the iPad mini's 'stereo'.

I think we already established that I accept that the mini has two speakers mounted an inch apart and vertically one above the other...

Top tip, noob - try making a sensible point. Personally, I don't live in a world where I carry my Genelecs around when I'm watching a video on a 7 inch tablet... nor do I view movie content in portrait mode. Do you?

I get it now. Your name says it all. Firestarter... & you try to start flame wars. Sheesh, can't believe I didn't catch that. Ugh, sorry for feeding the troll guys!

donnaw
Jul 26, 2013, 07:21 PM
I get it now. Your name says it all. Firestarter... & you try to start flame wars. Sheesh, can't believe I didn't catch that. Ugh, sorry for feeding the troll guys!

You may think he's starting a flame war but he's right. Two speakers side-by-side does not equal stereo. By definition there must be some separation. And frankly, saying that you have the option to connect to separate stationary speakers defeats the purpose of having the mobility of a tablet.

topper24hours
Jul 26, 2013, 08:05 PM
You may think he's starting a flame war but he's right. Two speakers side-by-side does not equal stereo. By definition there must be some separation. And frankly, saying that you have the option to connect to separate stationary speakers defeats the purpose of having the mobility of a tablet.

Fair enough! You seem VERY level headed & that is a good point. I never said anything to the contrary, however. A poster had said "I'd choose the Nexus over iPad mini because it has stereo speakers, whereas iPad mini does not". The ONLY thing I said was "actually, mini has stereo speakers as well".. at which point flamestarter chastised me, insulted me, told me that I would say anything for a "win", jeeringly told me that he felt sorry for me. Basically just lost his whole mind, it was fairly bizarre.

firestarter
Jul 27, 2013, 01:20 AM
The ONLY thing I said was "actually, mini has stereo speakers as well".. at which point flamestarter chastised me
That reasonable non-fanboy ish response in full:

Umm. No. try Google.
Nice try though...

Anyway... I'm pleased you now accept the iPad isn't proper stereo, unlike the Nexus... so let's leave it at that.

Renzatic
Jul 27, 2013, 11:48 AM

This is true, but faux stereo aside, there are advantages to having two speakers set on opposite ends of a tablet. One of the things I don't like about watching movies on my iPad, besides being a little too quiet, is that it sounds like it's only coming out of one side of the thing. With two speakers, it would make it seem like the sound is coming "from" the iPad directly, rather than being lopsided like it currently is.

In my opinion, the Nexus 10 currently has the best speaker setup of any tablet out on the market right now. Two speakers on the left and right side of the screen, facing towards you. I hope Apple does something similar with the iPad 5.

blitzer09x87
Jul 27, 2013, 04:15 PM
well, it was good enough to attract me.

asthamapheo
Jul 27, 2013, 06:06 PM
well, it was good enough to attract me.

yep, same here, i'm also going for the new nexus 7 from my ipad 4

egoistaxx9
Jul 27, 2013, 07:04 PM
if the device had a smaller body(and smaller bezels) i would have immediately preordered the device.

DavidLeblond
Jul 29, 2013, 12:58 PM
I'm sure he said his friends with gingerbread devices are envious

Yup, that's what I meant.