PDA

View Full Version : Dell, seeking sales growth, embraces style, luxury

MacBytes
Nov 13, 2005, 10:30 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Dell, seeking sales growth, embraces style, luxury (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051113233031)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

xtbfx
Nov 13, 2005, 10:37 PM
Dell's new XPS personal computers abandon the beige box in favor of sleek titanium, silver and black designs aimed at conveying strength, drama and boldness. An XPS gaming desktop has a backlit plastic shield on the front suggesting combat-readiness.

Yes, because we all know plastic is very strong.

Online ads tout the "XPS experience" and promise "raw power and superior style."

Superior style compared to what? The other crap they make?

PlaceofDis
Nov 13, 2005, 10:48 PM
dell's money making machine is in the business sector, it knows that they don't appeal to consumers, so they are trying to change that, i dont think it will work though.

winmacguy
Nov 13, 2005, 10:58 PM
Dell and style DONT belong in the same sentence! :eek: Its like Microsoft "security" :rolleyes: When I saw the article I just started laughing. Even Cnet doesnt get it
"But Dell, which was still shipping boxy, utilitarian computers when Apple introduced its iconic, translucent iMac computers in 1998, is unlikely to woo die-hard Apple devotees, analysts said."

Well why would you go from OS X to Windows and all those virses? just so you could possibly pay more money:confused: :D

plinkoman
Nov 13, 2005, 11:21 PM
how on earth could anyone think the new xps boxes look good... :rolleyes:

wow, really stylin' there...

winmacguy
Nov 13, 2005, 11:45 PM
Dell competing against Apple for style:confused: Doh!:rolleyes: They must be smoking some reeeel good weed in Round Rock, Texas ;)

devilot
Nov 14, 2005, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure if I'm missing something-- when I click on the link in the article to view the Dell photos, they just look like all the other Windows machines right now. They don't seem 'luxurious' or whatnot.

Psst, off topic; did anybody else get a new window asking them to participate in a CNet survey?!

winmacguy
Nov 14, 2005, 12:28 AM
I'm not sure if I'm missing something-- when I click on the link in the article to view the Dell photos, they just look like all the other Windows machines right now. They don't seem 'luxurious' or whatnot.

Psst, off topic; did anybody else get a new window asking them to participate in a CNet survey?!
No devilot you didnt miss anything, you saw the emporer's new clothes ;)

Atlasland
Nov 14, 2005, 12:33 AM
The 50" LCD TV seems interesting though. Is this the beginning of massive screen TVs at affordable prices?

winmacguy
Nov 14, 2005, 12:36 AM
Dell is going to start investing "heavily" in design and innovation for its new hardware:rolleyes: In the leading brand of industrial style toasted sandwhich makers now designing Dell laptops and a yet to be named designer for their HD TVs. As for their towers, well lets just say.....umm..... all of Dells designers "lead" their fields in industrial design......
They might have money but that doesn't buy them style.

winmacguy
Nov 14, 2005, 12:58 AM
The 50" LCD TV seems interesting though. Is this the beginning of massive screen TVs at affordable prices?
I guess that could be considered a good spin off....:p

dontmatter
Nov 14, 2005, 02:00 AM
Guys, don't insult dell for being dell in the past. They readily admit that they have not been stylish. The XPS systems.... well, true, they're not exactly inspiring, but they're a step in the right direction, and more than that, large companies have been known to find style through trail and error and lots of dollars- car industry shows many examples of that. They're doing this like microsoft, evolutionary, make a step and make the next one better, rather than apple, see the light of god, and make it perfect the first shot, because, well, they've just got the gift.

That sad, it's still pretty funny and sad they're not getting very far here.

and also that quote-customers don't want the trailing edge of technology, they want the leading edge. Um, then.... how did dell get so big in the first place? OK, customers want that, maybe, but they also want cheap, and, there are really a lot of them with a lot of tastes, so, yeah. it's just funny, saying dell is going to do well because of exactly the opposite of why they have done well.

winmacguy
Nov 14, 2005, 03:40 AM
Maybe Apple will now have some competition in the "expensive" computers department:p ;)

iMeowbot
Nov 14, 2005, 04:06 AM
Yep. The only ones who seem to get it right now are Sony and Lenovo, they let their brutal black boxes be just that and it kind of works.
Not this time, but they do that once in a while. And why are we whispering? :-D

generik
Nov 14, 2005, 05:42 AM
But anyhow isn't Dell currently the top PC seller?

What would really freak me is a headline like this "Apple, seeking sales growth, embraces shoddy quality and low prices!"

BenRoethig
Nov 14, 2005, 06:14 AM
This person knows the "new" XPS series are just the old XPS, D9100, D5100C with a new name right? They didn't even add so much as a firewire port to the "XPS 400"

Photorun
Nov 14, 2005, 08:59 AM
Dell is going to start investing "heavily" in design and innovation for its new hardware

I read this and spit coffee onto my keyboard. Dell's R&D is one part looking at Apple and feebily trying to copy and another part absolute crap.

nagromme
Nov 14, 2005, 10:20 AM
"backlit glow" = "combat readiness"?

= "better for gaming"?

lopresmb
Nov 14, 2005, 10:28 AM
"backlit glow" = "combat readiness"?

= "better for gaming"?
more like = "better for throwing on a land mine"

winmacguy
Nov 14, 2005, 11:10 AM
I read this and spit coffee onto my keyboard. Dell's R&D is one part looking at Apple and feebily trying to copy and another part absolute crap.
I hope you were laughing when you read my comment because I was when I wrote it:p :D

solvs
Nov 14, 2005, 05:01 PM
The new ones are still ugly. The old ones were fine for businesses. Black with a simple look. People don't buy Dell because it's pretty, they buy because it's cheap and "easy". The new ones we got in look like servers. Silver with grates. Wonder where they got that idea. :rolleyes:

http://img.dell.com/images/global/products/optix/gx_mt_front_314x314.jpg