Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Hello all

I have a desktop that was running Windows 8 until the boot loader or something got deleted. So I went back to Windows 7 on that.

Before I use my windows 8 upgrade that I bought last October on the desktop, I would like to know if there is any known way to use it in Bootcamp. Reason I ask is that I already bought it and don't really like it on my desktop.

Can I fool the system into thinking its the regular OS? Talking with Microsoft support trying to fix my desktop they said it is possible, however it required the $99 advanced support and a Microsoft tool to install (gimmick!) so I said no to that as I can easily get an OEM copy of Windows 8 for $99. Someone out there has to know how to do this!

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Hello all

Can I fool the system into thinking its the regular OS? Talking with Microsoft support trying to fix my desktop they said it is possible, however it required the $99 advanced support and a Microsoft tool to install (gimmick!) so I said no to that as I can easily get an OEM copy of Windows 8 for $99. Someone out there has to know how to do this!
If I understand you correctly, you want to use a Win 8 upgrade disc to do a clean install, right? This can be done easily as explained here. Also it is exactly the same trick people used for installing Win 7 in BootCamp, just follow the same steps in the 2nd post of this thread, except for Win 8 instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.