PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile USA Announces $0 Downpayment on All New Devices

MacRumors
Jul 26, 2013, 09:58 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/26/t-mobile-usa-announces-0-downpayment-on-all-new-devices/)

T-Mobile, the fourth-most popular carrier in the United States (http://www.fiercewireless.com/special-reports/grading-top-10-us-carriers-fourth-quarter-2012?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss) in terms of subscriber numbers, announced today (http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251624&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1841616&highlight=&AID=11031750&PID=6147232) that it is launching a new promotion whereby any new, eligible customers will not have pay a single cent in downpayment for a new phone when signing up to a T-Mobile USA plan. Customers can now receive new devices for free and spread the cost over the terms of their contract, which in most cases is 24 months.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/Screen-Shot-2013-07-26-at-3.35.03-pm.png
In the case of the iPhone 5, customers pay an extra $27 a month on top of their standard price plan, which includes any minutes, text messages and internet access, with no interest payable. Prior to this, the iPhone cost $145.99 upfront plus 24 monthly payments of $21, giving a total cost of $649.99 - under the new plan, customers pay $648 in total for the device. It is important to note here that this promotion is only valid for the 16 GB model; the 32 GB and 64 GB models are not available at a special promotional price.

T-Mobile's recently initiated JUMP plan (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/10/t-mobile-announces-jump-phone-upgrade-program/), which is designed to allow customers to upgrade their phones twice a year after paying an additional $10 device fee, can be combined with the new $0 downpayment program. According to T-Mobile, the $0 price promotion is available for a limited time, though the company did not specify an ending date.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Announces $0 Downpayment on All New Devices (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/26/t-mobile-usa-announces-0-downpayment-on-all-new-devices/)

GoCubsGo
Jul 26, 2013, 10:00 AM
T-Mobile is making it easier and easier to switch. I need to find out how their coverage is in my area.

Klae17
Jul 26, 2013, 10:00 AM
Dear T-Mobile,

Make up your mind.

Sincerely,

The Public

KSpider
Jul 26, 2013, 10:03 AM
dear cellular companies... JFC

freediverdude
Jul 26, 2013, 10:11 AM
Hmm, now people are going to get used to not paying anything for their devices up front on all these new plans. What's next, financing of the monthly service over more than one month? lol

bacaramac
Jul 26, 2013, 10:21 AM
Wow, pretty impressive for those wanting no up front costs for the phone. If/when Tmobile builds out their network to work better, I'll jump ship.

osofast240sx
Jul 26, 2013, 10:23 AM
Dear T-Mobile,

Make up your mind.

Sincerely,

The Public

??

bearda
Jul 26, 2013, 10:27 AM
T-Mobile is making it easier and easier to switch. I need to find out how their coverage is in my area.

That's the rub. I'd switch to T-Mobile for my primary line if their rural coverage was closer to AT&T's.

Mrg02d
Jul 26, 2013, 10:30 AM
Oh how I wish Tmobile worked where I live...

boshii
Jul 26, 2013, 10:31 AM
T-Mobile is the leader of this revolution and their plans give customers the best deal.

Their network may not be the greatest, compared to AT&T and Verizon, but I have no problems with them in my city.

Lindsford
Jul 26, 2013, 10:34 AM
What a gimmick. They are just moving the money you pay around. You're still gonna end up netting the same $$ years ago at the end of the day. Meh.

ajt1995
Jul 26, 2013, 10:35 AM
Oh how I wish Tmobile worked where I live...

Me too! :confused:

madsci954
Jul 26, 2013, 10:36 AM
I don't know why, but the CEO is starting to sound like those "crazy eddie" salesman of old.

You want an iPhone!?!?!? And how much will you put down!?!? $150!? $145?! How about $0 down!?!?! I'm slashing prices everywheeeeeeeere!!!!!!!

darkslide29
Jul 26, 2013, 10:41 AM
Dear T-Mobile,

Make up your mind.

Sincerely,

The Public

??

I think they mean that T-Mobile first offered the iPhone 5 for $149 (and installment payments after that), for the first 14 days of availability. Then it changed the down payment to $199 (or was it $179?, plus installments). Not sure if it changed again after that, but here is another change, this time at a $0 down payment.

If you plan on jumping to T-Mobile in a month, odds are the $0 plan may be gone by then, in favor of a new strategy. Who knows.

Not a bad thing in my eyes, as this is probably them trying to figure out the best formula to get the most customers.

boshii
Jul 26, 2013, 10:44 AM
What a gimmick. They are just moving the money you pay around. You're still gonna end up netting the same $$ years ago at the end of the day. Meh.

How is it a gimmick? You pay for the phone $0 down and pay in monthly installments interest-free. Their plans don't include the price of subsidies like the other carriers, and they're also cheaper. Once your phone is paid off, you stop paying for it and you no longer see that amount on your bill. Plus, there's no contract so you're free-to-go or upgrade as you please, as long as you finish paying for the phone.

With other carriers you're locked into a 2 year contract and keep paying for your phone even after it's paid off. If you decide to renew and keep the same phone, you're going to keep paying for the phone for another 2 years. You get raped horribly.

Zenbound
Jul 26, 2013, 10:44 AM
Well don't trust T Mobile to tell you if you will have good coverage. I and been dealing with them for two weeks. Before I switched they said I had great coverage but when I activated I couldn't get a signal from my home. Two weeks of going back and forth with tech support they told me that I would need to upgrade to a 4G phone. Well they wouldn't even offer to help with the upgrade. This was yesterday. Now I see they are giving the phones out for free. They seem nice at first but poor service and clueless tech support. They can keep they promotion.

oneMadRssn
Jul 26, 2013, 10:46 AM
I think they mean that T-Mobile first offered the iPhone 5 for $149 (and installment payments after that), for the first 14 days of availability. Then it changed the down payment to $199 (or was it $179?, plus installments). Not sure if it changed again after that, but here is another change, this time at a $0 down payment.

I think first it was $99 down, $20/month for 24 months = $579
Then, they raised it to $145 down, $21/month for 24 months = $649
Now, it's basically the same at $0 down, $27/month for 24 months = $648

darkslide29
Jul 26, 2013, 10:47 AM
Unfortunately for me, I work in the basement of an office building that gets very poor building penetration by the T-Mobile signal. My iPhone 5 gets "No Service" almost as soon as I walk into the building.

Oddly enough, with an AT&T sim in the same phone, I get a 4/5 bars or so, with LTE. I haven't tested the Verizon network on a phone, but my iPad 3rd Gen with Verizon gets 4/5 bars with LTE as well.

So it must be the lower frequency spectrum that AT&T and Verizon use is better at building penetration. The higher frequency that T-Mobile uses just doesn't get to me.

For those interested, I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. Besides in my office, T-Mobile was very impressive, with LTE speeds on par or faster than AT&T is giving me.

It is unfortunate that I don't have any windows near me to give me even a bar of signal, so I could have made the permanent switch . Everywhere else (home, commute) it works just as well or better than AT&T.
It just irks me to be unreachable for 9 hours or so due to the No Service.

neuropsychguy
Jul 26, 2013, 10:47 AM

It was $99 initially with $20 a month after that. Then it increased to $150 up front and $20 a month. Now it is $27 per month for 24 months ($648). All plus tax. The initial launch deal was the best. $0 down with the rest spread out isn't a bad deal though - an interest-free loan on the money.

darkslide29
Jul 26, 2013, 10:50 AM
I think first it was $99 down, $20/month for 24 months = $579
Then, they raised it to $145 down, $21/month for 24 months = $649
Now, it's basically the same at $0 down, $27/month for 24 months = $648

Ah, you're right, it was $99 down at first. My memory was way off and making up numbers :o.
I did not know the differences in total payment though. Thanks for the clarification.

jumanji
Jul 26, 2013, 10:50 AM
i still have the grandfathered unlimited data with AT&T....that is so hard to give up...

darkslide29
Jul 26, 2013, 10:51 AM
It was $99 initially with $20 a month after that. Then it increased to $150 up front and $20 a month. Now it is $27 per month for 24 months ($648). All plus tax. The initial launch deal was the best. $0 down with the rest spread out isn't a bad deal though - an interest-free loan on the money.

Thanks for the clarification, your numbers are correct. I was way off. :o

doncornelius
Jul 26, 2013, 11:39 AM
Are there any web sites or apps that have community-driven cellular coverage maps? Maybe speedtest.net would suffice?

jdechko
Jul 26, 2013, 12:06 PM
How is it a gimmick? You pay for the phone $0 down and pay in monthly installments interest-free. Their plans don't include the price of subsidies like the other carriers, and they're also cheaper. Once your phone is paid off, you stop paying for it and you no longer see that amount on your bill. Plus, there's no contract so you're free-to-go or upgrade as you please, as long as you finish paying for the phone.

With other carriers you're locked into a 2 year contract and keep paying for your phone even after it's paid off. If you decide to renew and keep the same phone, you're going to keep paying for the phone for another 2 years. You get raped horribly.

I emboldened the most important part of this whole discussion. Of the 3 carriers that have done this, only on T-Mobile does your overall monthly payment go down once you've paid off the phone. Both AT&T and VZW make you keep paying the same inflated rate (and double charging you for the phone along the way).

Still though, if you must stick with AT&T or VZW, the traditional subsidy is still the best way to go. Just make sure you upgrade every time you are due.

mj1108
Jul 26, 2013, 12:17 PM
Are there any web sites or apps that have community-driven cellular coverage maps? Maybe speedtest.net would suffice?

http://www.sensorly.com/ - LTE is tracked on this site as "4G" and regular HSPA/HSPA+ is put under the guise of 2G/3G.

SteveLV702
Jul 26, 2013, 12:42 PM
I just talked to TMobile this doesn't start until tomorrow and they say this included all phones except iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S....

dbrewer80221
Jul 26, 2013, 12:48 PM

I would never switch to them. Any time I call a friend on a T-Mobile cell phone, it's a hit or miss on whether the call will go through. Most of the time I don't hear any ringing, but my phone is counting up the seconds like the call is connected.

Additionally, they can't receive pictures I send from my iPhone via MMS - they show up blank.

----------

The people who sign up for this are the same kind of people that can never save money for anything. If you can't pay for something in full, don't buy it.

littyboy
Jul 26, 2013, 01:35 PM
I would never switch to them. Any time I call a friend on a T-Mobile cell phone, it's a hit or miss on whether the call will go through. Most of the time I don't hear any ringing, but my phone is counting up the seconds like the call is connected.

Additionally, they can't receive pictures I send from my iPhone via MMS - they show up blank.

----------

The people who sign up for this are the same kind of people that can never save money for anything. If you can't pay for something in full, don't buy it.

Hm. That's never happened to me and I receive pictures just fine... Maybe it's your area or the receiver's device.

boshii
Jul 26, 2013, 02:26 PM
That saying only works if you're paying interest.

If I have an option to pay something in installments without paying interest I'll take that option every time. There's 0 benefit to paying all at once. Interest-free loans are always the smartest option.

alent1234
Jul 26, 2013, 03:03 PM
That saying only works if you're paying interest.

If I have an option to pay something in installments without paying interest I'll take that option every time. There's 0 benefit to paying all at once. Interest-free loans are always the smartest option.

if you think these plans are interest free, you can't count

TheRealTVGuy
Jul 26, 2013, 03:21 PM
Why do I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of refurbed iPhone 5 & 5s's available over the next year...?

CEmajr
Jul 26, 2013, 03:36 PM

It is interest free. You're payin $649 plus tax just as you would buying it in full at an Apple Store. There's no added fees or interest on the phones.

boshii
Jul 26, 2013, 03:41 PM

You obviously can't read.

omgwut
Jul 26, 2013, 04:02 PM
I understand some people's hesitation with T-Mobile just because of the gaps that have traditionally existed in their network coverage, but they are on the warpath right now and seriously beefing it up. 4G LTE just came to my region (Minneapolis & Saint Paul, MN) in the last few weeks and I've been using it on some iPhone 5 demo units with WiFi off at a few different T-Mobile stores around the area. It destroys, and the coverage map blankets most of the metro already.

If you don't do much travelling at this point and are interested in a value carrier I would highly recommed at least checking out what T-Mobile's coverage is like where you live, and give them some thought. They're making some strong moves at the moment.

japanime
Jul 26, 2013, 09:00 PM
My experience with T-Mobile on a business trip to California and Colorado last month was not very pleasant.

I purchased a prepaid "unlimited" plan for my unlocked iPhone 4s. Most of my time was spent in Denver, Sacramento and Los Angeles.

More often than not, the best I could get was Edge. Not once did I see pseudo-4G (not LTE 4G) coverage. Sometimes, I couldn't get any signal at all, even when standing on major downtown streets.

About 25 days into my 30-day plan, data simply stopped working. I called the customer-service department and was told that I had used up all of my 4G bandwidth for the month (huh?), and that "we are having network problems in the Los Angeles area at this time."

Sounded like a crock to me.

I'd like to see T-Mobile succeed. But until they can provide decent coverage in major cities, I'll stick with the marginally better AT&T when visiting the US.

mrbrown
Jul 27, 2013, 02:20 AM
My experience with T-Mobile on a business trip to California and Colorado last month was not very pleasant.

I purchased a prepaid "unlimited" plan for my unlocked iPhone 4s.

More often than not, the best I could get was Edge.

Uh... The iPhone 4S doesn't support T-Mobile's AWS band, so you will only get faux-G in refarmed areas, which are few and far between. Use an iPhone 5 with AWS enabled... I'm in Los Angeles right now and I'm impressed with the coverage and the speeds.

Lindsford
Jul 27, 2013, 10:27 AM

$0 Down and your monthly installments are larger. You're still paying $648 or whatever for an iPhone. So once you end up paying retail for a phone and pay it off a year later. You get to add a different set of installment? How is that any different in the long run? You'll be stuck on the installment price forever and T-Mobile knows this. If they make it easy to always upgrade to the newest thing, specially with little to 0 down people will just keep upgrading every 6 months to a year.

Either way the carrier is going to get their money they are just putting it in different places. You can praise them for the "innovative, revolutionary" change. In the end they are in business to make money not help you out. They just make things "look" a little more attractive. I wish their network was half way decent, because I wouldn't mind switching. But like I said. It's just a gimmick instead of the other $400 not being paid into installments for other carriers it's buried in other charges mark ups and fees. Either way the company is getting that money back :)

I do not not a single soul who keeps phones for longer than 2 years.

WMD
Jul 27, 2013, 01:19 PM
I've had my iPhone 4 since it first came out.

Plutonius
Jul 27, 2013, 03:49 PM

You pay the same amount of money. You just don't need any up front. If you can't afford a down payment, maybe you shouldn't be spending money on any iPhone plan.

beaniemyman
Jul 27, 2013, 06:37 PM
i really like this "new" and aggressive T-mob. their offers are really great, looks like that's the carrier to join when i upgrade.

GoCubsGo
Jul 27, 2013, 06:46 PM
You pay the same amount of money. You just don't need any up front. If you can't afford a down payment, maybe you shouldn't be spending money on any iPhone plan.

Who said I can't afford it? If I wrote that this gets me in a position to finally get an iPhone then perhaps you can pop off with such a condescending statement. Unfortunately for you, I didn't write that. I'm well aware of how much you pay and how frequently you pay it. Tmobile is simply making it easier to switch. Generally speaking. I still need to find out what coverage is like. Personally, I wouldn't make monthly payments on any phone, ever. Same thing about financing computers or similar tech. If I wanted financial advice I'd ask my financial advisor and not some random online. ;)

egoistaxx9
Jul 27, 2013, 07:00 PM
thats new! if the T-mobile's coverage is good in my area i'm definitely gonna switch to T-mobile.

Plutonius
Jul 27, 2013, 07:46 PM
Who said I can't afford it? If I wrote that this gets me in a position to finally get an iPhone then perhaps you can pop off with such a condescending statement. Unfortunately for you, I didn't write that. I'm well aware of how much you pay and how frequently you pay it. Tmobile is simply making it easier to switch. Generally speaking. I still need to find out what coverage is like. Personally, I wouldn't make monthly payments on any phone, ever. Same thing about financing computers or similar tech. If I wanted financial advice I'd ask my financial advisor and not some random online. ;)

How does it make it easier to switch having no down payment ? I'll repeat what I said. If a person can not sign up for T-Mobile because a down payment is needed, that person should save their money and not get a smart phone (Note: I am not being condescending. It's just common sense). Again, how does the lack of a down payment make it easier for someone to subscribe to T-Mobile ?

Tiger8
Jul 28, 2013, 09:09 AM
Dear T-Mobile,

Make up your mind.

Sincerely,

The Public

No... please speak for yourself. The public seems to be happy and reacting positively to T-Mo promotions. Sometimes car dealers have a 'zero down' financing, how is that different?

----------

I just talked to TMobile this doesn't start until tomorrow and they say this included all phones except iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S....

Whomever it is gave you wrong info, it's live on their web site, now, iPhone 5 zero down

iPhonemaster5S
Jul 28, 2013, 09:20 AM
This is quite a good deal for those who can't afford the down payment up front, I think times are going to change for tmobile. Service is excellent here in Denver metro area get LTE almost everywhere and get "4G" as a good backup so I have to say I'm pleased with the service. Customer service was excellent, I recently just switched to T-mobile and wanted to port my number and the systems were unfortunately down however I called on the phone and they were able to get it setup within 3 hours which I thought was great because they had to do this all manually. If your lucky enough to live in an LTE market the sevic is great, just hope they start expanding more.

VTECaddict
Jul 28, 2013, 03:19 PM
How does it make it easier to switch having no down payment ? I'll repeat what I said. If a person can not sign up for T-Mobile because a down payment is needed, that person should save their money and not get a smart phone (Note: I am not being condescending. It's just common sense). Again, how does the lack of a down payment make it easier for someone to subscribe to T-Mobile ?

Because no down payment is no down payment. It doesn't matter if you can afford it or not. If you had the option to drop $150 right this second, or spread it over 24 months interest free, what would you choose?

The down payment is not the issue because if they went with other carriers they would have to pay even more out of pocket up front for the phone. But just the fact that you don't have to front any money gives T-Mobile a few extra points to push people over the fence on switching.

otismotive77
Jul 28, 2013, 03:47 PM
OK, it's time to join t-mobile. goodbye At&t.

blitzer09x87
Jul 28, 2013, 04:05 PM
i wish they were offering the tab 3, i'm eagerly waiting for it.

Plutonius
Jul 28, 2013, 04:12 PM
But just the fact that you don't have to front any money gives T-Mobile a few extra points to push people over the fence on switching.

It may induce some people to switch but how does it make it easier when you do switch ? If people can't switch due to a downpayment, they have a bigger problem then deciding what provider they want.

boshii
Jul 28, 2013, 04:47 PM
It may induce some people to switch but how does it make it easier when you do switch ? If people can't switch due to a downpayment, they have a bigger problem then deciding what provider they want.
Isn't paying no money easier than paying money? If someone gave you an option to pay money or not pay money with no penalty, you wouldn't take the latter?

It has nothing to do with what you can and can't afford, and everything to do with being financially smart. Why tie up income if you don't have to? You can keep that money and invest it elsewhere to make it work for you.

Plutonius
Jul 28, 2013, 06:25 PM
Isn't paying no money easier than paying money? If someone gave you an option to pay money or not pay money with no penalty, you wouldn't take the latter?

It has nothing to do with what you can and can't afford, and everything to do with being financially smart. Why tie up income if you don't have to? You can keep that money and invest it elsewhere to make it work for you.

I appreciate someone answering my question "why people are claiming it's easier to sign up for T-Mobile now that there is no downpayment". You still have to give them the credit card (or whatever means your paying with) to set up the account. The only difference is that they don't collect the down payment. As far as I can determine, the only way it would be easier is if you can't afford the down payment in which case a person really shouldn't be getting a smart phone in the first place.

I can see where it might be more desirable now to sign up for T-Mobile without a down payment but I still can't see why it's easier.

Toltepeceno
Jul 28, 2013, 06:42 PM

Incorrect? The phone payment ends after 2 years where it does not with other companies. Your payment is rolled into the plan with att and never ends.

----------

The payment ends after 2 years (or sooner if I want to pay it off), with other companies it does not. Try paying off your phone with att early for a lesser payment. Try taking your current phone to att and getting a lesser bill. I keep my phones longer than 2 years.

VTECaddict
Jul 28, 2013, 09:46 PM
I appreciate someone answering my question "why people are claiming it's easier to sign up for T-Mobile now that there is no downpayment". You still have to give them the credit card (or whatever means your paying with) to set up the account. The only difference is that they don't collect the down payment. As far as I can determine, the only way it would be easier is if you can't afford the down payment in which case a person really shouldn't be getting a smart phone in the first place.

I can see where it might be more desirable now to sign up for T-Mobile without a down payment but I still can't see why it's easier.

Are you just being difficult because your attempt to belittle the other poster for being poor failed?

Easier as in easier to make the decision. Not physically easier.

boshii
Jul 28, 2013, 10:03 PM
Are you just being difficult because your attempt to belittle the other poster for being poor failed?

That's what it seems like.

Plutonius
Jul 28, 2013, 10:06 PM

I have not belittled anyone (I'm curious though, which poster / post claimed they were poor). I was wondering why people thought it was easier.

Thank you for clarifying their remarks. I read it as physically easier rather than easier to make the decision.

----------

That's what it seems like.

It's not. It might be better if you wrote "it makes it easier to make the decision" :D.

iPhonemaster5S
Jul 28, 2013, 10:08 PM
This $0 Down event just postpones the money at a later date so unless you earn your money by the hour then this isn't going to be very useful. However if you do earn your money by the hour then yes this is a great opportunity so you can pay for it on the long run,

12vElectronics
Jul 28, 2013, 10:20 PM
I don't understand why people are paying $648 plus tax for an iPhone.

VTECaddict
Jul 28, 2013, 11:46 PM
This $0 Down event just postpones the money at a later date so unless you earn your money by the hour then this isn't going to be very useful. However if you do earn your money by the hour then yes this is a great opportunity so you can pay for it on the long run,

This is going to be very useful for anyone. Sure, it will help the paycheck to paycheck people "afford" the high end phones since there is nothing out of pocket.

But even people that have the means to drop $650 on the spot for the phone will benefit. Like another poster said, why tie up your income when it can be put to work for you else where? Granted the cost of a smartphone isn't very much in the grand scheme of things, but the principle is still the same.

boshii
Jul 29, 2013, 07:24 AM
$0 Down and your monthly installments are larger. You're still paying $648 or whatever for an iPhone. So once you end up paying retail for a phone and pay it off a year later. You get to add a different set of installment? How is that any different in the long run? You'll be stuck on the installment price forever and T-Mobile knows this. If they make it easy to always upgrade to the newest thing, specially with little to 0 down people will just keep upgrading every 6 months to a year.

Either way the carrier is going to get their money they are just putting it in different places. You can praise them for the "innovative, revolutionary" change. In the end they are in business to make money not help you out. They just make things "look" a little more attractive. I wish their network was half way decent, because I wouldn't mind switching. But like I said. It's just a gimmick instead of the other $400 not being paid into installments for other carriers it's buried in other charges mark ups and fees. Either way the company is getting that money back :)

This was before T-mobile raised the price on their iPhone but it's still cheaper.

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/iPhone-ownership-cost-Zagg-chart.jpg

thekingofnerds
Jul 29, 2013, 12:42 PM
I don't know why, but the CEO is starting to sound like those "crazy eddie" salesman of old.

You want an iPhone!?!?!? And how much will you put down!?!? $150!? $145?! How about $0 down!?!?! I'm slashing prices everywheeeeeeeere!!!!!!!

Wait until they have these suckers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GznhT__PXs) outside their stores.

:eek: