PDA

View Full Version : ibook HD failure...diskwarrior not fixing...help?

kugino
Nov 14, 2005, 12:39 AM
i ran disk utility and it gave the following:

"Invalid node structure.
Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit."

diskwarrior showed that the disk was fine, but when i ran rebuild directories, it said that there was a slowdown because of a disk failure. any other suggestions? thanks.

mad jew
Nov 14, 2005, 04:57 AM
Repaired disk from the OSX disks? :o

kugino
Nov 14, 2005, 10:48 AM
Repaired disk from the OSX disks? :o
i'll try that when i get home later. thanks.

Eniregnat
Nov 14, 2005, 12:50 PM
In any case back up your data! At least copy your documents and music onto an external drive.

yellow
Nov 14, 2005, 01:17 PM
diskwarrior showed that the disk was fine, but when i ran rebuild directories, it said that there was a slowdown because of a disk failure. any other suggestions? thanks.

Check the SMART status ASAP. If it's anything other then verified, have it replaced.

kugino
Nov 15, 2005, 11:24 AM
i've tried repairing it a number of ways and nothing works. it's SMART verified and i do have a complete clone of my laptop so i'm not worried about losing data...the strange thing is that almost everything works normally, but spotlight doesn't work, terminal doesn't work, and i can't empty things from the trash...wonder if those apps are residing in the bad part of the disk. any other suggestions?

yellow
Nov 15, 2005, 11:52 AM
If you have a complete back up, I'd stop messing with it and just reformat it (zero all data). Reinstall and start fresh.

kugino
Nov 15, 2005, 08:29 PM
If you have a complete back up, I'd stop messing with it and just reformat it (zero all data). Reinstall and start fresh.
thanks, yellow. i erased and used CCC to clone my backup onto my ibook internal disk...and everything is working fine again.

two take-home lessons from this:
1. back up, back up, back up. i completely clone my laptop once/week and it served me very well in this fiasco. phew.
2. you guys/gals on this forum rock! thanks for everyone's quick suggestions and help. :)

yellow
Nov 17, 2005, 11:19 AM
No problem.. here's to this install's functionality lasting!

slooksterPSV
Nov 17, 2005, 11:41 AM
yeah if you ever get a problem like that you have to reformat the drive. Found this one out long time ago. But yeah, you have to reformat it.