PDA

View Full Version : Two New iPhone Models to Be Introduced on September 6th? [Updated]

MacRumors
Jul 26, 2013, 10:39 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/26/two-new-iphone-models-to-be-introduced-on-september-6th/)

The next-generation iPhone will launch on September 6th (http://www.iphone-ticker.de/neues-iphone-verkaufsstart-am-6-september-zwei-neue-geraetetypen-51114/), according to German Apple website iFun [Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.iphone-ticker.de/neues-iphone-verkaufsstart-am-6-september-zwei-neue-geraetetypen-51114/&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8)]. The site does not have a significant track record with this sort of prediction, however.

Earlier this week, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the low-cost iPhone and the iPad 5 would ship in early September (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/22/low-cost-iphone-and-ipad-5-to-ship-in-early-september-with-iphone-5s-to-coming-later-no-retina-ipad-mini-in-2014/) with the iPhone 5S coming later because of production difficulties. Kuo has had an excellent track record in recent years. A ramp in production (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/16/iphone-5s-production-will-reportedly-begin-later-this-month/) of the iPhone 5S at the end of this month was reported by a number of parties last week.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/low_cost_iphone_render_white-800x450.jpg (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/low_cost_iphone_render_white.jpg)Rendered mockup of lower-cost plastic iPhone front and back
Additionally, iFun claims two new "device types" will be introduced, likely an iPhone 5S (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/24/apples-prototype-iphone-5s-based-on-new-a7-chip/) and a new low-cost iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/02/high-resolution-renderings-of-apples-lower-cost-plastic-iphone/) with a plastic backing that has been extensively rumored.

During Apple's earnings call this week, CFO Peter Oppenheimer said that Apple would have a "very busy fall (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/23/apple-cfo-peter-oppenheimer-apple-to-have-very-busy-fall-with-more-detail-coming-in-october/)" and said he would go into more detail "in October". It isn't clear whether he meant because new products would be launching then or because that's when the next earnings call will take place.

Update: The Loop (http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/07/26/the-rumored-iphone-sept-6-launch/)'s Jim Dalrymple has put an end to this rumor with a simple, "Nope."

Article Link: Two New iPhone Models to Be Introduced on September 6th? [Updated] (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/26/two-new-iphone-models-to-be-introduced-on-september-6th/)

ka-spot
Jul 26, 2013, 10:42 AM
I'm ok with this, so... no problemos... introduce them on the 6th of September :D

gmanist1000
Jul 26, 2013, 10:43 AM
Introduced or launched?

Sky Blue
Jul 26, 2013, 10:44 AM
someones after some website hits!

Sept 6th is a Friday.. so they would have to have the event the week before? Can't see that happening.

bobbytallant
Jul 26, 2013, 10:47 AM
That damn mockup again :rolleyes:

Klae17
Jul 26, 2013, 10:47 AM
When is the back to school promotion over?

sulpfiction
Jul 26, 2013, 10:51 AM
So far pretty light on 5S leaks. But I think that's all going to change over the next couple weeks. Getting excited!

viperGTS
Jul 26, 2013, 10:52 AM
The BTS promotion ends September 6th. The more you know...

antoniogra7
Jul 26, 2013, 10:52 AM
Shouldn't the home button icon be more rounded? Like the new iOS 7 icons.

ValSalva
Jul 26, 2013, 10:57 AM
I don't believe this report. What do they have to go on? Methinks iFun is iWrong.

hovscorpion12
Jul 26, 2013, 10:58 AM
September 6th is Friday. Apple would never in a million years have a press conference at the end of the week. A more accurate date based on previous iPhone announcements, I would say the second week of September.

BASTI51
Jul 26, 2013, 11:01 AM
Introduction is earlier. "Verkaufsstart" means sale starts on 6th.

decimortis
Jul 26, 2013, 11:02 AM
I think it'd be more likely September 9th. The Monday after the BTS promotion ends. Just a guess though.

D.

boshii
Jul 26, 2013, 11:07 AM
So far pretty light on 5S leaks.

Because it looks just like the iPhone 5 but with dual-led flash.

Pegamush
Jul 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
I think it'd be more likely September 9th. The Monday after the BTS promotion ends. Just a guess though.

D.

why not a weekend special sale? i don't know what they did in the past, but it could makes sense, waiting in line at apple stores on a weekend.. i could see thousands of people doing it!
no, but actually, weren't iphone sales usually announced 2-3 weeks before the launch date? so that everyone could pack things up in advance to camp in front of the stores?
anyway, who cares? i don't see major things coming to the 5s, the lite looks fine, it will just be overpriced compared to several (dare i to pronounce that word..) android phones.

jmh600cbr
Jul 26, 2013, 11:15 AM
Why that date?

pgiguere1
Jul 26, 2013, 11:16 AM
iFun don't have a significant track record but their last claim was right.

They said (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57569643-37/ios-6.1.2-reportedly-will-roll-out-next-week-to-squash-6.1-bugs/) iOS 6.1.2 would be released "next week, before Wednesday" on February 15th. It ended up being released (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/19/apple-releases-ios-6-1-2-to-address-exchange-calendar-bug/) on February 19th, the Tuesday after that claim.

That doesn't add that much credibility to their claims in regard to hardware, but at least that's something. They say they get information from carriers. I believe them more than the BS analysts constantly come up with, weird that this is only on the iOS blog.

needfx
Jul 26, 2013, 11:22 AM
Kuo is da man

sulpfiction
Jul 26, 2013, 11:23 AM
Because it looks just like the iPhone 5 but with dual-led flash.

We should start seeing some rumors ramp up regardless.

PBF
Jul 26, 2013, 11:53 AM
Less than a year later?

They would never do that.

4TheLoveOfTech
Jul 26, 2013, 11:54 AM
Introduced or launched?

Sold or Shipped?:rolleyes:

yeah
Jul 26, 2013, 12:01 PM
My money is ready! :eek::D

darkslide29
Jul 26, 2013, 12:05 PM
someones after some website hits!

Sept 6th is a Friday.. so they would have to have the event the week before? Can't see that happening.

Yeah usually that would mean an announcement on the Tuesday (10 days) before, with preorders starting Friday (7 days before).
At least that's how I remember ordering a couple of my own iPhones.
But I know what you mean, that sounds way too soon. Announcement in August?

----------

Less than a year later?

They would never do that.

iPhone 4S was released on Oct 14, 2011.
iPhone 5 was released on Sep 21 2012.

If the iPhone 5S is released in early September, it would be in line with this timeline.
However, my personal sentiment is that it feels too early.
(Not sure if I bit on a sarcastic remark :) )

Ventilatedbrain
Jul 26, 2013, 12:06 PM
I'm probably more excited for apple about the cheap iPhone more than the 5s.. I will be betting the 5s but I can't help but to be happy coz very often my friends ask me what to get their wives/kids/parents/friends .. The iphone 5 is too expensive and noone wants to buy a 2 year old device as a gift ..

darkslide29
Jul 26, 2013, 12:12 PM
I'm probably very excited for apple about the cheap iPhone more than the 5s.. I will be betting the 5s but I can't help but to be happy coz very often my friends ask me for phone gifts .. The iphone 5 is too expensive and noone wants to buy a 2 year old device as a gift ..

It won't be as cheap as you are hoping. The words cheap and affordable are being thrown around very loosely.

I am guessing too, but this is what I gather from comments that make the most sense..
If an iPhone 5S is, say $650, then the 'cheap' iPhone will be, I don't know, $400-450? Really probably not any cheaper than it would cost to get something like a 4S today, contract free.

This could allow Apple to discontinue the 4 and 4s, and stick with just two models that are both 4" and lightning connector. That, and take back control of their profit margins since many consumers are probably going after the 3.5inch models on contract, cheaply.
The 5S will be $199 on Contract as expected, and the cheap one will be free (or $99?), on contract. But still not as cheap off-contract as some think cheap should be.

And I am glad their cheap model is looking like it is shaping up rather nicely. I don't want them to start a race to the bottom in price, which would take away from quality.

But what do I know.. :confused:

bushido
Jul 26, 2013, 12:13 PM
like somone else has mentioned already Verkaufsstart means launch not introduction so the keynote would probably take place tuesday before that

didnt the 4 get released pn a friday as well?

SUAPP
Jul 26, 2013, 12:20 PM
This would be amazing if it really happens, because this could mean that the new rMBP would be released also (they usually start shipping the day of announcement) so it would happen before the back to school promotion ends

Rocketman
Jul 26, 2013, 12:26 PM
Sometimes it helps to go with the obvious.

The next earnings call is Oct 24 ish. That's when Tim will give a substantive update to the question asked 7-24 because it will be public then.

Yes an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 5P (plastic) will be released in September-ish. As will a MacBook Pro, a MacPro, an iMac, and an iPad5.

In the mean time we will see a Mac-Mini.

Sometime in early 2014 or sooner we will see a iPad-Mini retina, and may see an iPhone "Midi". Hard to say because it is not rumored or certain, but a version of iPhone 5P enlarged (5PL) would be trivial to release.

We do know that iCar is in the supply chain now waiting for individual vendors to release in the summer-autumn auto season. Before Christmas. Of course you have to buy a whole car to get an effective iPad-Mini, but hey, why pay less?

We also know a body based device is near release. Whether you call it a watch, or a pen or a pocket watch, it will be a utility that interacts with stuff over bluetooth, such as an earpiece and be totally hands free. Yes it will tell time and make all nature of calls, texts and such, but it will also be "the payment system".

We know that the day a 4K display is practical to produce in any mass-volume we will see Apple TV morph from a hobby. Every bar, restaurant and facility will buy a half dozen or more each. Consumers may buy some too. :)

In the mean time Apple TV as it exists now will simply add channels and apps. Unleashed HBO, CNBC and other premium channels please. Or at least one week delayed content from same.

Sometimes it helps to state the obvious to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of rumors.

Rocketman

Tastydirt
Jul 26, 2013, 02:02 PM
Already "noped" buy the legendary Dalrymple: http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/07/26/the-rumored-iphone-sept-6-launch/

LostSoul80
Jul 26, 2013, 02:46 PM
Already "noped" buy the legendary Dalrymple: http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/07/26/the-rumored-iphone-sept-6-launch/

How is he "legendary"?
His "nope" still leaves hopes, he's not Mr Cook.

Cougarcat
Jul 26, 2013, 03:03 PM
How is he "legendary"?
His "nope" still leaves hopes, he's not Mr Cook.

I guess you don't know who he is. He's practically Cook's mouthpiece. If Apple wants to deny rumors, they will tell him. He's been 100% right.

LostSoul80
Jul 26, 2013, 03:08 PM
I guess you don't know who he is.

Correct. I don't know who he is, and I have no interest in that. I know he's supposedly a journalist who has confirmed or denied some rumors about Apple products in the past.

If Apple wants to deny rumors, they will tell him. He's been 100% right.

I'm afraid you can not justify any of this.
Can you show me a document proving Apple has something to do with his statements?
Otherwise, for all I know, that "nope" could be based off of many analysts predictions.

Cougarcat
Jul 26, 2013, 03:18 PM
Correct. I don't know who he is, and I have no interest in that. I know he's supposedly a journalist who has confirmed or denied some rumors about Apple products in the past.

Can you show me a document proving Apple has something to do with his statements?
Otherwise, for all I know, that "nope" could be based off of many analysts predictions.

His immaculate track record speaks for itself. It is enough to know that it isn't based off analyst predictions, because their track records are abysmal. Of course, it's up to you if you don't want to believe it.

mrxak
Jul 26, 2013, 04:28 PM
The Oppenheimer comment absolutely has to do with the next scheduled earnings call. That's the only time he ever really talks, and it's completely independent of any Apple product announcements. Nobody should use what he said to guess when we'll see any new Apple products.

Of course, most other evidence would point to October being the time we'll see new product releases like a new iPhone. Late September is possible. Early September would be quite surprising indeed. There could, however, be a different product release at that time, like new miniMacs.

Shaun, UK
Jul 26, 2013, 05:29 PM
I think it'd be more likely September 9th. The Monday after the BTS promotion ends. Just a guess though.D.

Seems the most likely option. They don't like Mondays so my guess is Tuesday 10th. Last years event was on the 12th.

thaifood
Jul 26, 2013, 06:17 PM

His knowledge is not based off analyst reports. He has numerous and long running connections with Apple. Whether it's just mates in high places or he is an unofficial outlet for Apple to shed some light on imminent releases, his answers always hit the mark.

theBB
Jul 26, 2013, 06:47 PM
Yes an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 5P (plastic) will be released in September-ish.
Press event by the end of September, yes, unless there is a crisis. Launch? Maybe.

donnaw
Jul 26, 2013, 07:14 PM
Well I certainly don't have any inside info but if I were Apple, considering their last earning call, I would certainly want my new product lines released early enough to be able to cite some pretty good sales numbers before the next call. I'm not certain that releasing the new products in late Sept or early Oct gets them there. As an investor I want more than a couple of weeks of numbers coming out in the October call. And I DO know that's how investors think.

newyorksole
Jul 26, 2013, 07:35 PM

Lol first people don't believe that the low-cost plastic-back iPhone is real. Now people don't believe the guy from The Loop who has been 100% correct?

Lmaoo. Some of you may be smart, but have little common sense.

charlituna
Jul 26, 2013, 07:48 PM

D.

Announced maybe. But Apple likes that killer launch weekend where folks arent at work and can line up etc.

Manzzle
Jul 26, 2013, 10:12 PM
Whatever is coming out, if the screen size and width are the same as the iPhone 5, then I'm going Galaxy. Samsung has already been kicking Apple in terms of numbers of phones selling by a lot this year. Apple needs to make a larger screen for those that are tired of the smallness.

montefuego
Jul 27, 2013, 09:45 AM
Sometimes it helps to go with the obvious.

We know that the day a 4K display is practical to produce in any mass-volume we will see Apple TV morph from a hobby. Every bar, restaurant and facility will buy a half dozen or more each. Consumers may buy some too. :)

In the mean time Apple TV as it exists now will simply add channels and apps. Unleashed HBO, CNBC and other premium channels please. Or at least one week delayed content from same.

Sometimes it helps to state the obvious to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of rumors.

Rocketman

Great comments. My only reservation is the 4K TV. There is no content at the moment, and if you view a 4K TV in any size less than 10 feet wide, you cannot see a difference AT ALL from a 2K television. It would be great to improve the color space of Rec 709 that current HD tv's use; if this color space alone were changed, there would be a vast improvement. It is unnecessary to increase the resolution, and doing so makes the file sizes enormous. It is a Sony marketing ploy, since they are the only ones making 4K.
I am cinematographer working in Hollywood with people who work with these things...

GlastoEls
Jul 27, 2013, 10:14 AM
I guess you don't know who he is. He's practically Cook's mouthpiece. If Apple wants to deny rumors, they will tell him. He's been 100% right.

Yep.

pmz
Jul 27, 2013, 01:33 PM
Darymple's "nope" is simply related to the Sept. 6 date.

Most people expect a mid September unveiling and late September on-sale date for the new iPhones.

Remember, Apple has to coordinate not just the public launch of a new iPhone, but the launch of iOS 7 on the same day. While this is nothing new for Apple, iOS 7 is far from almost ready. I expect the real public launch date to be Friday, September 27th, for the 5S, Lite, and iOS 7.

Do not expect iPad 5 to be introduced at this time. That product will launch in October.

----------

Great comments. My only reservation is the 4K TV. There is no content at the moment, and if you view a 4K TV in any size less than 10 feet wide, you cannot see a difference AT ALL from a 2K television. It would be great to improve the color space of Rec 709 that current HD tv's use; if this color space alone were changed, there would be a vast improvement. It is unnecessary to increase the resolution, and doing so makes the file sizes enormous. It is a Sony marketing ploy, since they are the only ones making 4K.
I am cinematographer working in Hollywood with people who work with these things...

Apple seemed to take interest in 4K displays, seeking to point out that the MacPro would be capable of running 3 of them.

Is Apple gonna sit back let MacPro buyers spent serious $$$$$ on someone else's 4K Displays? I highly doubt it.

I'd really like to see Apple release some new Desktop Displays this year. A 24" Tb Displays with USB 3 that costs around $4-500. You know, above average yet still affordable. And then 4K.

boccabella
Jul 27, 2013, 03:18 PM
Tim Cook has said without ambiguity, new products are coming in the fall, not before. In Applespeak, fall is closer to December 21 than September 22, let alone September 6, that is laughable on its face.

beaniemyman
Jul 27, 2013, 06:40 PM
i wish i had read this news before the update, crushed all the excitement, looks like i'll have to wait till the end of september.

kimvette
Jul 27, 2013, 09:39 PM
Whatever is coming out, if the screen size and width are the same as the iPhone 5, then I'm going Galaxy. Samsung has already been kicking Apple in terms of numbers of phones selling by a lot this year. Apple needs to make a larger screen for those that are tired of the smallness.

Seconded.
That, and an SD slot or double the storage, and 2 GB RAM.

cryptooth
Jul 28, 2013, 03:28 PM
Looks like android phone: http://techdy.com/shop/basic-bear/

egoistaxx9
Jul 28, 2013, 07:04 PM
that's too early, i wont have enough money at that time. please delay it a bit. mid-Oct is fine

ncaissie
Jul 29, 2013, 06:59 AM
These images do not have the S or the new one C.
Didn't the 3GS and 4S have that on the phone?
Could this be the iPhone 6?
I like the look. Maybe they are getting away from the metal cases which I think is great.