PDA

View Full Version : Comparison Chart of Chromecast, Apple TV and Roku Content Options

MacRumors
Jul 26, 2013, 12:55 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/26/comparison-chart-of-chromecast-apple-tv-and-roku-content-options/)

Marketing Land has assembled this comparison chart (http://marketingland.com/compared-google-chromecast-apple-tv-roku-53291) showing what subscription and rental services can be used with the new Google Chromecast (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/24/google-takes-aim-at-apple-with-new-nexus-7-google-play-games-and-chromecast/), the Apple TV, and the Roku streaming boxes.

The new Chromecast, which costs just $35, plugs into an HDMI port on a television, and needs to be charged via a USB connection. The Roku box is perhaps the most direct competitor for the Apple TV, with the Apple TV supporting AirPlay mirroring and streaming from iOS devices while the Roku delivers a number of additional content sources.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/NewImage8.png

Article Link: Comparison Chart of Chromecast, Apple TV and Roku Content Options (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/26/comparison-chart-of-chromecast-apple-tv-and-roku-content-options/)

troop231
Jul 26, 2013, 01:00 PM
Love my Roku 3 more than my Apple TV, that's for sure. I doubt it'll be long before YouTube comes to the Roku as well.

dustinsc
Jul 26, 2013, 01:02 PM
Not a very useful comparison since it ignores the casting function on the Chromecast and AirPlay. And even if it mentioned the existence of these services, it still wouldn't get to the issue of the difference between Google Cast and AirPlay.

tempusfugit
Jul 26, 2013, 01:03 PM
AirPlay makes the appleTV vastly superior than the others as long as you have Macs or iOS devices. Second place goes to Roku for making a pretty decent device. Chromecast is pure garbage.

Nicky G
Jul 26, 2013, 01:08 PM
Is airplay with video content high-quality? I definitely notice Airplay compression when sending an Apple TV computer screen content (at moments of transitions between screens, for example). But maybe with pure video it's pretty solid?

Would love t see Amazon Prime video on Apple TV. Would also love to see apps in general, it seems, well, kind of ridiculous it doesn't have apps already. Although admittedly, a well-designed iOS app really can essentially be an AppleTV app, with Airplay done well.

Szarky
Jul 26, 2013, 01:09 PM
Love using Airplay to send my music to my big tower speakers.

Does Chromecast work the same? (but you must have Android device?)

fivetoedbear
Jul 26, 2013, 01:12 PM
It might be worth noting that Roku still sells a box that supports composite video. (Though their newest offering is HDMI-only.)

Not everybody has or needs a new HDTV.

Edit: ...And Roku has the cheapest boxes that come with a remote.

I like to think about "required accessories", which could mean buying an HDTV, or in Chromecast's case, buying an iPod Touch for your guests to use as a remote. $35 box with a $229 remote?

curmudgeon32
Jul 26, 2013, 01:14 PM
These things are so cheap, you don't need to have just one. I use Apple TV like 95% of the time, but switch to my old 1st gen. Roku if I need to do an Amazon rental or something.

whooleytoo
Jul 26, 2013, 01:18 PM
It's a bit of an arbitrary comparison in that chart, given no mention is made of Airplay or Home Sharing (or presumably other features on the other devices).

Plus, it's quite US-centric, no Hulu Plus, HBO Go or Amazon Prime here, so they're much more 'level'.

Koodauw
Jul 26, 2013, 01:20 PM
It's a bit of an arbitrary comparison in that chart, given no mention is made of Airplay or Home Sharing (or presumably other features on the other devices).

Plus, it's quite US-centric, no Hulu Plus, HBO Go or Amazon Prime here, so they're much more 'level'.

agreed should be some sort of screen sharing comparision as well.

Xenomorph
Jul 26, 2013, 01:38 PM
It might be worth noting that Roku still sells a box that supports composite video. (Though their newest offering is HDMI-only.)

Edit: ...And Roku has the cheapest boxes that come with a remote.

I like to think about "required accessories", which could mean buying an HDTV, or in Chromecast's case, buying an iPod Touch for your guests to use as a remote. $35 box with a $229 remote?

I told a co-worker to get an Apple TV. They have an older set, and went with the Roku. It's connected with those wonderful Yellow/Red/White cables.

After using their Roku, I went out and got my mom one (and logged her into my Netflix account). My wife then got me a Roku.

They're really nice. The remote is Bluetooth, and not line-of-sight IR like the Apple TV, that's another plus.

I have no idea why they don't have YouTube, though. :(

cclloyd
Jul 26, 2013, 01:46 PM
Raspberry pi: All that and more and Airplay and airplay-like for Android.

Rocketman
Jul 26, 2013, 01:46 PM
They all need a browser option.

jacob-07
Jul 26, 2013, 01:47 PM

Chromecast is not locked to any specific os

megakilo
Jul 26, 2013, 01:49 PM
The main advantage of Chromecast is cross-platform with Chrome browser. It also has free public SDK enabling more usage models in the future.

gatearray
Jul 26, 2013, 01:51 PM
Wow, 20% of the functionality for 1/3 the price of ATV... No wonder all the cheapskates are falling all over themselves for this thing. :)

whooleytoo
Jul 26, 2013, 01:56 PM
While reading up about this, I just read Sky (an investor in Roku) have just launched the Now TV box; which looks like a cut-down Roku box; but for just £9.99! (not aware of non-UK pricing)

Soon, they'll be paying us to take them.

Ethere
Jul 26, 2013, 01:56 PM
Wow, 20% of the functionality for 1/3 the price of ATV... No wonder all the cheapskates are falling all over themselves for this thing. :)

The Chromecast is great for $35 bucks. Just the fact I can use a tab from Chrome and shoot it up on the TV is worth that much. Hell, some HDMI cables themselves cost $35.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 26, 2013, 02:09 PM
Merge Chromecast's formfactor w/ Roku's feature set with Apple's AirPlay and you'd have the perfect streamer.

But as-is all 3 are lacking in either content or portability.

mdelvecchio
Jul 26, 2013, 02:14 PM
They all need a browser option.

ATV already has one -- you can mirror your device's browser to the screen, if so inclined. have never found this useful, however. prefer using the device to browser, and never need an audience.

CylonGlitch
Jul 26, 2013, 02:28 PM
The problem I have with the device is that it misses in a really critical market. The business presentations. Seriously, if I could put this into my conference room and be able the throw up my PowerPoint presentations onto it, that would be great! Even better is when we have 20 people in the room each giving their own little presentations and have to switch from one person's computer to another -- we do this now by passing around a long HDMI cable. :(

Second thing they need to make happen is integration with GoToMeeting and WebEx. Again, really makes it easier to share a webex meeting that way.

As for it's current use. Sharing my laptop's browser window? Meh. Seriously if I'm pulling up the video on my laptop, I'll just watch it there, rarely do I have to show it to others. When I do share with others, I just show them my laptop screen. If I want to stream movies from Netflix, I don't want to be bothered with my laptop or iPad, or iPhone (Thus Roku or ATV). Besides having the laptop 1.5' from me is almost the same as my 50" 12' from me.

I think it's a nice little device, but seems out of place for what it should be doing.

richardsonrs
Jul 26, 2013, 02:31 PM
Should be a yes next to apple iTunes for roku. I stream my iTunes library to my tv anytime I want through plex in my roku. Music and movies.

tommyminahan
Jul 26, 2013, 02:31 PM
I got a Roku for our second tv set, instead of getting another ATV.
having used both, i can say the ATV GUI is much nicer than roku, but the roku has more things that i want (amazonprime)
At first i thought the roku was the end of my itunes sharing, but then i discovered Plex streaming server, and that runs in the background on my mac, and allows me full access to my music and video library.

So, its a tossup really between roku and apple to me.

I can't imagine anyone would want to spend $35 dollars just to watch netflix...

GoCubsGo
Jul 26, 2013, 02:34 PM

Because it works cross platform, it wasn't just "cheapskates" as you seem to call them so intelligently.

It was a great deal when they offered Netflix for 3 months.

Plutonius
Jul 26, 2013, 02:38 PM

They used to have it on the Roku but Google made them remove it. The channel is still grandfathered though for people who owned the Roku before it was taken off.

If you really want YouTube on the Roku, just use Plex (http://plexapp.com/roku/).

likemyorbs
Jul 26, 2013, 02:45 PM
The chromecast must be impossible to install if your tv hangs on the wall.

tito2020
Jul 26, 2013, 02:47 PM
More apps are coming to chromecast will blow out any streaming device stay tuned

CylonGlitch
Jul 26, 2013, 02:52 PM
The chromecast must be impossible to install if your tv hangs on the wall.

Nah, not impossible, just look like crap unless you have an extra power socket around.

Remember most TV's are USB TARGET devices, not USB HOST devices. Target devices CANNOT power the USB bus. :(

likemyorbs
Jul 26, 2013, 02:57 PM
Nah, not impossible, just look like crap unless you have an extra power socket around.

Remember most TV's are USB TARGET devices, not USB HOST devices. Target devices CANNOT power the USB bus. :(

But how would you even fit it on the back of the tv? It's a couple of inches long, most tv's that hang on a wall don't have a couple of inches of space behind them. I see what they did, they tried to save you from having to buy an hdmi wire separately, but this won't work for a lot of people including myself.

MegamanX
Jul 26, 2013, 03:02 PM
My guess is it will not be long before Chromecast will be adding in support for hulu, and amazon videos. This is only the first release. More it will be hulu and amazon supporting Chromecast.

alent1234
Jul 26, 2013, 03:02 PM
More apps are coming to chromecast will blow out any streaming device stay tuned

ok

i'm sure most people are so cheap over $15 they won't see the value in buying a roku over a chrome stick

only value i can see in this is streaming a bootleg sports site to your TV if you're a cord cutter

CylonGlitch
Jul 26, 2013, 03:08 PM
But how would you even fit it on the back of the tv? It's a couple of inches long, most tv's that hang on a wall don't have a couple of inches of space behind them. I see what they did, they tried to save you from having to buy an hdmi wire separately, but this won't work for a lot of people including myself.

Ah yeah, didn't think about that. I have seen many TV's with HDMI ports hidden but coming out toward the side. That is where it would fit. A little better design would be to have it a bit longer but include a 90 degree adjustable hinge. That way it would fit either on the side or on the back.

bommai
Jul 26, 2013, 03:09 PM

It comes with a cable. Don't need to plug it in directly.

Jimmy James
Jul 26, 2013, 03:15 PM
The Apple TV needs Air Video. Stream any video on your computer, or any drive connected to it, directly to your tv.

E.Lizardo
Jul 26, 2013, 03:20 PM

True if you are not too scared of a little tech you can run XBMC on a pi plus MAME and more.I've thought about getting one to play with,even though I have an Atv and Roku.

likemyorbs
Jul 26, 2013, 03:32 PM
It comes with a cable. Don't need to plug it in directly.

Ahh ok, that answers that question.

jamesnajera
Jul 26, 2013, 04:06 PM

Unless they have updated the AirPlay drivers, I found It to be very unstable. The instability is not worth the cost savings.

troop231
Jul 26, 2013, 04:42 PM
I wish the HDMI protocol was designed to support 5V at 1 or 2 amps that way we don't need these external adapters to power these things.

4TheLoveOfTech
Jul 26, 2013, 04:44 PM
Ah yeah, didn't think about that. I have seen many TV's with HDMI ports hidden but coming out toward the side. That is where it would fit. A little better design would be to have it a bit longer but include a 90 degree adjustable hinge. That way it would fit either on the side or on the back.

You mean something like this? It's adjustable or many other styles.

http://www.euronetwork.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x265/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/d/hdmi-hinged-adaptors_1.jpg

paul4339
Jul 26, 2013, 04:48 PM

Depends where your music is located. Chromecast only allows you to stream media from the internet. It will not allow you to stream from local stored media.

(I'm assuming you mean that you routed your speakers through your TV)

Chupa Chupa
Jul 26, 2013, 04:56 PM
The Apple TV needs Air Video. Stream any video on your computer, or any drive connected to it, directly to your tv.

Unless I'm missing what you are trying to say, that's exactly what Air Play does -- stream any video or music from your computer to your AppleTV connected TV.

----------

That would be nice... put some heat under Apple to open up ATV to devs and the App Store.

linuxcooldude
Jul 26, 2013, 04:58 PM
I wish the HDMI protocol was designed to support 5V at 1 or 2 amps that way we don't need these external adapters to power these things.

They have an MHL standard for HDMI that makes it a powered port, but still a bit new and not widely available yet.

anthony11
Jul 26, 2013, 05:01 PM
These things are so cheap, you don't need to have just one.
These things are so design-flawed that you need more than one. Playing local media is a major problem with many of these devices, which want one to pay for evanescent streaming content instead of playing persistent local content. My [aging and vendor-abandoned] Boxee Box does an AFP/SMB/NFS mount of a media directory and will play anything there. Roku refuses to play divx-family AVI's and ATV won't do any local content.

tongxinshe
Jul 26, 2013, 05:28 PM

It's been included in AppleTV from day 1, it's call AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring. The only catch is that your computer has to be a 2011 or later.

troop231
Jul 26, 2013, 05:29 PM
They have an MHL standard for HDMI that makes it a powered port, but still a bit new and not widely available yet.

Exactly. If we could only go back in time and just redesign the original HDMI protocol :(

MrXiro
Jul 26, 2013, 05:33 PM
Any reason to pick up a Chromecast when I have 2 Atv3s connected to 2 TVs in the apartment already? Currently don't own any android devices either but I want to get an HTC One... Maybe.

----------

Depends where your music is located. Chromecast only allows you to stream media from the internet. It will not allow you to stream from local stored media.

(I'm assuming you mean that you routed your speakers through your TV)

What if you play your local media through a chrome browser? I can drag an MP4 file into chrome and it will play in a tab I think.

linuxcooldude
Jul 26, 2013, 06:00 PM
It's been included in AppleTV from day 1, it's call AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring. The only catch is that your computer has to be a 2011 or later.

According to Apple's website the only restrictions is a computer with iTunes 10.6.

Jimmy James
Jul 26, 2013, 06:09 PM

1. My computer is older
2. You can only stream compatible formats. With Air Video I can stream any file format to my idevice and my computer will do the conversion on the fly. I have a lot of old content in non-compatible formats. AirPlay is mostly irrelevant to me.

Delegator
Jul 26, 2013, 06:22 PM

This is spot on. My 13-year-old Pioneer Elite rear projection TV puts out a great picture (better than LCD or LED for movies, especially), but was built prior to HDMI's existence. Roku has component outputs, which are still HD. I can't connect any Apple TV unit to my TV, nor the Chromecast. I would have to either upgrade my receiver or my TV to use those.

So, for me the lack of content is just the topping on the cake. I really wish that there was a single way to get all the streamed content instead of a patchwork quilt that has a bunch of holes in it. My fallback is Airplay display mirroring, but again I can't do that to my best TV because that requires the Apple TV. :-( But at least it lets me watch Hulu (without the plus) along with other non-paid streaming sources.

paul4339
Jul 26, 2013, 06:43 PM
What if you play your local media through a chrome browser? I can drag an MP4 file into chrome and it will play in a tab I think.

Yes, you should be able to stream content through browser mirroring.

Elbon
Jul 26, 2013, 06:50 PM
ATV won't do any local content.

Apple TV streams local content. You can do it either via AirPlay or via iTunes Home Sharing.

donnaw
Jul 26, 2013, 07:00 PM
I have an older TV in my bedroom that isn't wifi capable. I don't even have a cable box hooked up to it because I only use it for a bit every night before I go to sleep.

It would be nice to be able to lay in bed and watch a movie on Netflix without getting out my iPad, hooking up the HDMI dongle, trailing the HDMI cord all the way across the bedroom just so I can browse and control a Netflix movie once in a while. And then there's the plus that I won't have to buy a new Apple dongle when I upgrade my iPad 3 to the new one with the lightening connector.

$35 for a very small device that I can easily control while laying in bed and don't have to worry about tripping over the cable if it's strung out is a real winner in my world. Why would I spend any more for my use case? And the fact that I can take it with me when I travel is just an added plus. Frankly I don't care about the comparisons. The size, price and mobility makes it worth while.

I'm picking up two, one for me and one for my son and his wife because, like me, when they upgraded their TV in the family room they regulated the older TV to the bedroom. I doubt that our use case is rare.

I think a lot of people out there will be very enticed with the price and simplicity of this device. Not everybody wants (or even knows how) to stream their 1TB of ripped movies or their library of music to their TV. They want to simply plug and go. It's will be a hit for Google.

jpmcnown
Jul 26, 2013, 10:03 PM
Why not continue this comparison of Apple TV to something else completely unlike the Chrome Cast? Like a Mac Mini? Sure, it's 6x the size, and 6x the cost, but a Mac Mini does 6x as much as the Apple TV.(100x if you install Windows on it) I can't wait for the followup comparison of Apple TV vs the Mac Pro due out later this year.

jeffe
Jul 27, 2013, 12:08 AM

Some TVs will be able to power chromecast directly through hdmi without having to power it through the USB too.

cclloyd
Jul 27, 2013, 01:49 AM
True if you are not too scared of a little tech you can run XBMC on a pi plus MAME and more.I've thought about getting one to play with,even though I have an Atv and Roku.

I have an ATV. It's just a fun little gadget to play with, since it has infinite uses.

Karma*Police
Jul 27, 2013, 04:08 AM
Sounds like you're Apple's biggest fanboy too. Sheesh, get over yourself. The Chromecast is great for $35 bucks. Just the fact I can use a tab from Chrome and shoot it up on the TV is worth that much. Hell, some HDMI cables themselves cost $35.

He was a bit harsh, but if you read the reviews of Chromecast, it's probably not even worth $35. Apple TV is a much better option if you already own an iDevice and/or Mac.

Not to mention, as AI noted in their article, it looks like Google is giving these things away to push their own video standard. Once again, Google uses "open" as a veil to try and control access to the Internet.

fallenjt
Jul 27, 2013, 07:39 AM
Sounds like you're Apple's biggest fanboy too. Sheesh, get over yourself. The Chromecast is great for $35 bucks. Just the fact I can use a tab from Chrome and shoot it up on the TV is worth that much. Hell, some HDMI cables themselves cost $35.

ChromeCast is nothing more than just an "Airplay" device. Yeah it's like 1 feature of Apple TV. It's not a streaming device itself. People were overhyped about it. Oh, btw, only 4 apps can play now... Yeah 4. ChromeCast + Roku = Apple TV in functionalities.
Yeah give it to a person who doesnt have smart phone or tablet. He'll throw it back to your face.
Either people are dumb or lacking knowledge about it to compare ChromeCast with Apple TV or Roku. It's like comparing a computer monitor with a Smart TV.

MegamanX
Jul 27, 2013, 07:43 AM
ChromeCast is nothing more than just an "Airplay" device. Yeah it's like 1 feature of Apple TV. It's not a streaming device itself. People were overhyped about it. Oh, btw, only 4 apps can play now... Yeah 4. ChromeCast + Roku = Apple TV in functionalities.
Yeah give it to a person who doesnt have smart phone or tablet. He'll throw it back to your face.
Either people are dumb or lacking knowledge about it to compare ChromeCast with Apple TV or Roku. It's like comparing a computer monitor with a Smart TV.

Thing is you know a lot more are coming. I fully expect hulu support, amazon video support and others to come.

fallenjt
Jul 27, 2013, 07:57 AM
The problem I have with the device is that it misses in a really critical market. The business presentations. Seriously, if I could put this into my conference room and be able the throw up my PowerPoint presentations onto it, that would be great! Even better is when we have 20 people in the room each giving their own little presentations and have to switch from one person's computer to another -- we do this now by passing around a long HDMI cable. :(

Second thing they need to make happen is integration with GoToMeeting and WebEx. Again, really makes it easier to share a webex meeting that way.

As for it's current use. Sharing my laptop's browser window? Meh. Seriously if I'm pulling up the video on my laptop, I'll just watch it there, rarely do I have to show it to others. When I do share with others, I just show them my laptop screen. If I want to stream movies from Netflix, I don't want to be bothered with my laptop or iPad, or iPhone (Thus Roku or ATV). Besides having the laptop 1.5' from me is almost the same as my 50" 12' from me.

I think it's a nice little device, but seems out of place for what it should be doing.

I dont get it. Webex sharing is 1 click away to pass control to presenter. Most meeting/conference rooms have projectors hung on ceiling, so good luck with ChromeCast to plug it in and look for power outlet on the ceiling. To me, ChromeCast is a $35 junk next to Apple TV

fallenjt
Jul 27, 2013, 08:17 AM
Unless I'm missing what you are trying to say, that's exactly what Air Play does -- stream any video or music from your computer to your AppleTV connected TV.

----------

That would be nice... put some heat under Apple to open up ATV to devs and the App Store.

So did a computer monitor + Roku put some heat under Samsung or LG Smart TV? I dont think so. Same here, ChromeCast is a beaming video device, for god' sake, it needs a tablet, smartphone or computer with compatible apps (only 4 now) to work. It's not as powerful as Apple Airplay which beams whatever is on Aplle device's screen to TV.

jmh600cbr
Jul 27, 2013, 10:44 AM
AirPlay makes the appleTV vastly superior than the others as long as you have Macs or iOS devices. Second place goes to Roku for making a pretty decent device. Chromecast is pure garbage.

Garbage is a bit rough. At the $35 price point it is impressive what chrome cast is accomplishing.

----------

As a Canadian this chart is vastly different. Most premium features of the Apple TV and the roku are unavailable. Literally the extra 85$ for Apple TV is to have airplay and iTunes. I can say I most definitely will own both devices.

tempusfugit
Jul 27, 2013, 10:51 AM
Garbage is a bit rough. At the $35 price point it is impressive what chrome cast is accomplishing.

----------

As a Canadian this chart is vastly different. Most premium features of the Apple TV and the roku are unavailable. Literally the extra 85$ for Apple TV is to have airplay and iTunes. I can say I most definitely will own both devices.

AirPlay, iTunes, iCloud(photostream etc), flickr, vimeo, MLB TV, NHL, and a whole lot of other stuff too on the Apple TV. Plus whatever is on your computer screen, not just a chrome tab, in real time. $35 is a waste of money if it gets you far less than 1/3 the functionality. Some people prefer the bargain bin no matter what though.

BigHonkingDeal
Jul 27, 2013, 11:12 AM
Some people prefer the bargain bin no matter what though.

And some people say, hey it's $35 let's see what develops :)

sensel
Jul 27, 2013, 11:48 AM
But is the audio compressed like Bluetooth? If so, you get what you pay for. Apple TV and AirPlay is not compressed,

MegamanX
Jul 27, 2013, 12:36 PM
I dont get it. Webex sharing is 1 click away to pass control to presenter. Most meeting/conference rooms have projectors hung on ceiling, so good luck with ChromeCast to plug it in and look for power outlet on the ceiling. To me, ChromeCast is a $35 junk next to Apple TV

Have to ask where do you expect the projector gets its power. Give you a hint there is almost always some standard power plugs in the ceiling above the tiles. Worse case they put a power strip on the tile and plug into that. You still never see it.

Westside guy
Jul 27, 2013, 03:03 PM
I originally bought a refurb Apple TV on a lark - but it's been a very useful device. AirPlay, especially, has been a bigger deal for us than I expected.

It's also the only device I've tried that never has trouble with some of the odd aspect ratios I've occasionally found in certain h.264 videos.

If they'd open the ATV up to the App Store, it would become an amazing bit of hardware.

flywithsean
Jul 27, 2013, 03:37 PM
This will all be a non issue comparison when Apple opens up the AppleTV to apps this fall.

Gigaman
Jul 27, 2013, 03:59 PM
Once again all I hear to support google's product is that "it does a lot for its price", and while some translate that to value, why would/should I choose this over an Apple TV? That's what I'm looking to pick up.

beaniemyman
Jul 27, 2013, 06:35 PM
well, although the apple TV and Roku offer more options chromecast has the benefit of being very inexpensive, it makes the chromecast stand out of the pack and that's why people love it so much. i'm more excited about the rumored google TV, that'd be awesome.

egoistaxx9
Jul 27, 2013, 06:58 PM
for me Roku is the best, it has the biggest content library and if money isn't the issue everyone should go for it.

TrickyTree1984
Jul 27, 2013, 07:41 PM
Sorry but this article is so biased. It ignores the fact that the chromecast is brand new, hence why it has sparse support. It ignores the fact the its is OPEN, therefore great for owners if multiple ecosystems like me (nexus 4 phone, iPhone 4s, iPad and windows 8 laptop). I know where my (very small amount of) money will be spent.

tongxinshe
Jul 27, 2013, 08:32 PM
1. My computer is older
2. You can only stream compatible formats. With Air Video I can stream any file format to my idevice and my computer will do the conversion on the fly. I have a lot of old content in non-compatible formats. AirPlay is mostly irrelevant to me.

For computers newer than 2011 model, there is no file format restriction, you can mirror the whole screen to AppleTV.

Jimmy James
Jul 27, 2013, 09:30 PM
For computers newer than 2011 model, there is no file format restriction, you can mirror the whole screen to AppleTV.

Thanks, good to know. Does sound get transmitted?

MegamanX
Jul 27, 2013, 10:34 PM

Sad part is that is a bs restrictions on Apple's part. Got to love forces obsolete.

CylonGlitch
Jul 28, 2013, 12:36 AM

As companies move to be more modern they are just buying large screen TV's instead of projectors and screens. Even so, projectors need power, most have a power plug in the ceiling as well.

But as for Webex, it is often, who's going to host the webex for the remote people when going into a meeting. Having anyone being able to do it instead of passing around a cable makes it easier. Plus when we have big meetings with a lot of people, no wire to trip over.

SamSmith
Jul 28, 2013, 06:54 AM
I don't understand why these devices are being compared. The Roku and Apple TV are direct competitors, fair enough, but the Chromecast is completly different. It has a different way of doing things. It's not a set top box. And you can get most of the things on this chart (excluding iTunes) through the tab sharing feature on Chromecast anyway, so the chart is unfair. At $35 I don't really see why you wouldn't buy it if you use mobile devices regularly, anyway.

Ed217
Jul 28, 2013, 07:00 AM
The more interesting question is what people actually want and need for such TV connect devices like Chromecast and ATV. Seems like this list would include things like:

1. Internet based movie and TV content (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc)
2. Browser display (Chrome, IE, Firefox, Safari, etc)
3. Photos from devices (iPhone, Droids, etc)
4. Music from devices (any source)
5. Videos from devices (any source)
6. Photos, music, videos from PCs, Macs, etc,
7. Buying/renting content (iTunes, Amazon, Goggle, etc)
8. ???

Once you have item 2, in a non restricted format, it opens up so much more like network TV web sites for content.

The key for items 3-6 is any source. If you’ve got it on your device somehow, you want it on the TV.

Each of these devices can do some of the above but not all. Lots of limitations exist.

Then you get into the next level of device, which is Internet TV, which is really what many are waiting for. Network TV, local news and weather, CNN, cable channels, etc. Level 1 is a basic device that does it. Level 2 adds DVR features.

Just imagine for a moment what would be possible if Apple bought DirecTV and added an icon to ATV. You subscribe to their content via Apple, and there are your channels, one after the other… No dish, no cable box, no satellite box, no satellites, just HDTV at your finger tips.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 28, 2013, 07:01 AM
So did a computer monitor + Roku put some heat under Samsung or LG Smart TV? I dont think so.

The fact that TVs now have built-in streaming apps in them suggests otherwise. Also Google and Apple are fiercely competitive w/ each other right now, almost mimicking each others products as new ones are released. No one is directly competing with Roku. It's like the garden slug no one cares about, but is still beneficial to the ecosystem.

Ted13
Jul 28, 2013, 11:18 AM
Merge Chromecast's formfactor w/ Roku's feature set with Apple's AirPlay and you'd have the perfect streamer.

And lose the Apple TV optical audio out? No, thanks! (Another thing the chart omits mentioning...)

The Apple TV is 100% portable if need be - it weighs next to nothing and takes up very little space. If you stop pretending the Chromcast power adaptor doesn't exist, all of a sudden there is very little difference in overall size and weight.

----------

Thing is you know a lot more are coming. I fully expect hulu support, amazon video support and others to come.
How did it work out for people who bought (expensive) Google TV devices expecting those things?

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

----------

1. My computer is older
I don't think you understand what mirroring is -- it simply displays what is on your computer monitor on you Apple TV -- formats don't enter into it.

What's more, under OS X Mavericks, you will be able to use an Apple TV connected display just like any external monitor -- so you can drag any window(s) you wish there and it will look exactly like having a 1080P external monitor plugged in directly.

MegamanX
Jul 28, 2013, 12:11 PM
How did it work out for people who bought (expensive) Google TV devices expecting those things?

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
I don't think you understand what mirroring is -- it simply displays what is on your computer monitor on you Apple TV -- formats don't enter into it.
You mean the same Google tvs that got all those items supported?
Yes Google TV can do amazon hulu and I believe crack as well.

oddnendz
Jul 28, 2013, 04:14 PM
I told a co-worker to get an Apple TV. They have an older set, and went with the Roku. It's connected with those wonderful Yellow/Red/White cables.

After using their Roku, I went out and got my mom one (and logged her into my Netflix account). My wife then got me a Roku.

They're really nice. The remote is Bluetooth, and not line-of-sight IR like the Apple TV, that's another plus.

You can get YouTube unofficially through one of the private channels.

blitzer09x87
Jul 28, 2013, 04:17 PM
i dont need youtube and that's why Roku is best for me.

FightTheFuture
Jul 28, 2013, 05:15 PM
Not sure 4GB of internal storage is enough to handle apps.

The thing about this device is that it accomplishes the same thing that a video cable does. If we wanted to watch web videos from our phone on TV that badly, we would've been doing it all this time.

The reason we want set top boxes is because we want to sit back and select content on our TV, instead of constantly looking down at our phone, selecting something to watch, putting the phone away, sitting back and watching on TV, then picking the phone up again to select or search for something else.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 28, 2013, 07:23 PM
And lose the Apple TV optical audio out? No, thanks! (Another thing the chart omits mentioning...)

The Apple TV is 100% portable if need be - it weighs next to nothing and takes up very little space. If you stop pretending the Chromcast power adaptor doesn't exist, all of a sudden there is very little difference in overall size and weight.

Where am I pretending the Chromecast doesn't have a power adapter? If you are referring to my initial response when the Chromecast was first announced, I corrected that misperception. So if you are going to be critical of others you need to get your facts straight.

As for optical out, for a TV streamer I don't see where it's all that vital if you have HDMI. If we were talking about an audio streamer hooked up to an amp or receiver then I'd understand.

Dagless
Jul 29, 2013, 04:51 AM
Could be that some people only want Netflix? It's the only streaming service I'd use, based on content. But I need bluray and DVD so none of those devices appeal to me :).

kevinof
Jul 29, 2013, 06:00 AM
Maybe it's the other way around? The reason you haven't been watching movies form your phone is BECAUSE you needed a video cable. Take away the need for a cable and maybe you'd start watching.

Also bear in mind that we are used to navigating our way around phones and tablets. Finding media to play or watch is easy for us so having to pick up a phone or a tablet to kick it off wouldn't be a big deal for any household.

I think when/if other services come to chromecast it could be very useful indeed.

The thing about this device is that it accomplishes the same thing that a video cable does. If we wanted to watch web videos from our phone on TV that badly, we would've been doing it all this time.

Ted13
Jul 29, 2013, 09:07 AM
Where am I pretending the Chromecast doesn't have a power adapter? If you are referring to my initial response when the Chromecast was first announced, I corrected that misperception. So if you are going to be critical of others you need to get your facts straight.

As for optical out, for a TV streamer I don't see where it's all that vital if you have HDMI. If we were talking about an audio streamer hooked up to an amp or receiver then I'd understand.

I wasn't saying you were, but Google sure pretends the power adaptor doesn't exist in their marketing materials.

And optical out is vital for video as well, for anyone getting 5.1 sound through a receiver without HDMI pass through. I am in that boat with an excellent Denon receiver, that I will not replace until it dies.

----------

You mean the same Google tvs that got all those items supported?
Yes Google TV can do amazon hulu and I believe crack as well.
Official Google TV page (http://www.google.com/tv/apps.html)
If it can get Hulu or HBO Go or ESPN or MLB or ... pretty much anything that isn't Netflix or Amazon it is being kept secret. My point stands - anyone expecting all the services now on AppleTV to magically appear on Chromcast is fooling themselves.

FloatingBones
Jul 29, 2013, 09:12 AM
We just got the Vizio E320i-A0, a small (32") LCD TV with built-in Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, etc., (but no Google Play or iTunes). As noted in The Wirecutter's review (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-small-tv/), it cost the same as TVs from other vendors. Having built-in WiFi plus functions integrated into the TV's remote and the set tremendously increased the value of this option.

tongxinshe
Jul 29, 2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks, good to know. Does sound get transmitted?

Yes, sound as well.

One new feature being highlighted about the to-be-released OS X 10.9 is that you can use AppleTV as the secondary display, too.

MegamanX
Jul 29, 2013, 11:44 AM
Official Google TV page (http://www.google.com/tv/apps.html)
If it can get Hulu or HBO Go or ESPN or MLB or ... pretty much anything that isn't Netflix or Amazon it is being kept secret. My point stands - anyone expecting all the services now on AppleTV to magically appear on Chromcast is fooling themselves.

End of the day it is ESPN, MLB and Hulu job to get it working. They have access to the dev kit. Hulu excuse for Google TV is crap. They chose not to do it. This time I expect a hell of a lot more pressure from the users demanding they be added. Chances are it will not be to much work as from what people have seen they can relatively minor modifications to their android apps.

I fully expect them in the coming months as Chromecast demand far out strips Google TV.

Plus if it is on the web I can just tell it to go to chromecast. No paying for Hulu plus for basic Hulu.

Tiger8
Jul 29, 2013, 01:41 PM
Wow, 20% of the functionality for 1/3 the price of ATV... No wonder all the cheapskate droidtards are falling all over themselves for this thing. :)

How did you get 20%? Share your math

Chupa Chupa
Jul 30, 2013, 07:47 AM
I wasn't saying you were, but Google sure pretends the power adaptor doesn't exist in their marketing materials.

Actually you did. Your exact quote:If you stop pretending the Chromcast power adaptor doesn't exist, all of a sudden there is very little difference in overall size and weight. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17644067#post17644067)

You wrote "you" meaning mean, not "Google". I'll accept it was a typo and you meant "Google" though as you are correct it does try to pretend the adapter is self-powered and make it tough to find out how it is powered. On first seeing Chromcast my first thought was that it was self-powered, but then I realized the truth.

But I still like the more transparent form factor over the Roku or Apple TV's puckish slab and still content of you melted the features of Roku and ATV together in the form of Chromecast dongle it would be a near perfect product.

Sodner
Jul 30, 2013, 07:50 AM
Chances that Apple TV gets Amazon Prime viewing?

Slim and None? :mad:

curmudgeon32
Jul 30, 2013, 03:48 PM
These things are so design-flawed that you need more than one. Playing local media is a major problem with many of these devices, which want one to pay for evanescent streaming content instead of playing persistent local content. My [aging and vendor-abandoned] Boxee Box does an AFP/SMB/NFS mount of a media directory and will play anything there. Roku refuses to play divx-family AVI's and ATV won't do any local content.

My Apple TV works great streaming whatever I have in iTunes on my Mini in the next room. I run everything through iVI which converts, tags and imports it into iTunes and I'm done. Works great for me.

Ted13
Aug 2, 2013, 08:04 AM
You wrote "you" meaning mean, not "Google". I'll accept it was a typo and you meant "Google" though as you are correct it does try to pretend the adapter is self-powered and make it tough to find out how it is powered. On first seeing Chromcast my first thought was that it was self-powered, but then I realized the truth.

But I still like the more transparent form factor over the Roku or Apple TV's puckish slab and still content of you melted the features of Roku and ATV together in the form of Chromecast dongle it would be a near perfect product.

I apologize for my bad phrasing.

The thing about the puck form factor it allows the AppleTV to have ethernet, optical audio, IR remote and a built in power supply allowing for the use of simple power cord -- and to work independently of a smartphone or tablet whose battery may be dying at an inopportune moment.

lazard
Aug 2, 2013, 02:07 PM
The Apple TV is 100% portable if need be - it weighs next to nothing and takes up very little space. If you stop pretending the Chromcast power adaptor doesn't exist, all of a sudden there is very little difference in overall size and weight.[COLOR="#808080"]

The power adapter is only needed if your tv doesn't have HDMI 1.4, otherwise the dongle can be powered from it.

tito2020
Aug 6, 2013, 05:16 PM
Roku will be dead soon as Google has more surprises ;).

Ted13
Aug 7, 2013, 12:18 PM
The power adapter is only needed if your tv doesn't have HDMI 1.4, otherwise the dongle can be powered from it.

You wouldn't be carrying it around to your own TV - at home portability is irrelevant. And I absolutely guarantee that 99% of hotel TVs don't have HDMI 1.4. Nor do 99% of conference room projectors. Places where portability comes into play, you will need the power adaptor.

Dan--
Aug 27, 2013, 10:24 AM
But how would you even fit it on the back of the tv? It's a couple of inches long, most tv's that hang on a wall don't have a couple of inches of space behind them.

Right angle adapter? (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041907&p_id=2782&seq=1&format=2)

smarch
Aug 27, 2013, 11:00 AM

You're onto something here. All we need is some sort of quick hdmi switch that can auto-switch between the 3 when accessing each box or when content is streamed. Anybody think this is possible?

Doesn't help the form-factor.

cmichaelb
Aug 27, 2013, 11:03 AM

For streaming my own content, heck yes, Apple tv, I agree.

But for streaming services, Roku. Plus, if you have an older tube tv that still has a great picture and works well, the Roku will work with it.

bommai
Aug 27, 2013, 01:11 PM
Right angle adapter? (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041907&p_id=2782&seq=1&format=2)

You don't need anything. Chromecast comes with a little cable extender that can be used precisely for that.

Dan--
Aug 28, 2013, 09:46 AM
^^^ Nice. Gonna have to pick up one of these. My dang son went and bought an S4.

AMBERRUBY12
Nov 13, 2013, 02:09 PM
Has anyone else heard of Why Remote?? It has face and hand gesture recognition and apparently integrates with different types of social media and streaming apps. it seems pretty cool, I'm looking forward to seeing them at the CES convention in January! Here's their site for anyone who hasn't… http://www.whyremote.com/index.html

alent1234
Nov 14, 2013, 12:40 PM
roku just got watchESPN

was going to get my Father in law an apple TV but now going to get a roku since the remote is better and they have so much other channels for him