PDA

View Full Version : Chromecast thread

mclld
Jul 26, 2013, 05:16 PM
This is not a Chromecast v * thread, just about the Chromecast.

I just found this on another site, very cool that you can mirror your desktop
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/26/tip-chromecast-can-cast-your-entire-desktop-screen-too-not-just-tabs/

IFRIT
Jul 26, 2013, 05:34 PM
This is not a Chromecast v * thread about about the Chromecast.

I just found this on another site, very cool that you can mirror your desktop
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/26/tip-chromecast-can-cast-your-entire-desktop-screen-too-not-just-tabs/

On another forum i saw mentioned that it's possible to stream local media as well by typing the location of the file sin the address bar, dunno where he saw that though.

mclld
Jul 26, 2013, 05:44 PM
You can drag n drop a file or just navigate to the local destination in a tab that is casting. It wont do avi but I tried mp4s and mp3s and they worked

Ottoman1
Jul 27, 2013, 06:33 AM
You can stream Netflix and iTunes on the iPhone over chromecast currently.

The interesting thing is they can stream in the background so you can use other apps.

Irishman
Jul 27, 2013, 07:28 AM
You can stream Netflix and iTunes on the iPhone over chromecast currently.

The interesting thing is they can stream in the background so you can use other apps.

Have you done this yourself?

Ottoman1
Jul 27, 2013, 10:57 AM

Yes. Easily. I haven't seen any posts about doing this anywhere.

The apps have a new icon in the corner, a frame with wifi bars in the corner, touch it and it throws the video to your tv.

SeanR1
Jul 27, 2013, 11:57 AM

Doing it now with new nexus 7. Have "my little pony" playing off youtube for my daughter while I'm posting this.

Edit: There is an icon I can pull down in notifications with play/pause/rewind quick controls.

Ottoman1
Jul 27, 2013, 02:14 PM
Doing it now with new nexus 7. Have "my little pony" playing off youtube for my daughter while I'm posting this.

Edit: There is an icon I can pull down in notifications with play/pause/rewind quick controls.

I was talking about doing this on an iPhone.

I'm not sure if posting about pairing a google phone with a google dongle is that relevant to this website.

SeanR1
Jul 27, 2013, 02:17 PM
I was talking about doing this on an iPhone.

I'm not sure if posting about pairing a google phone with a google dongle is that relevant to this website.

Sorry didn't catch the iPhone part. I won't be able to try that until I can use my wife's iPad tomorrow night. I'll post results if no one has by then. Sorry for the confusion, no offense intended.

Edit: Even though I misunderstood your specific question.....It is certainly relevant to this particular sub-forum, on this website.

Ottoman1
Jul 29, 2013, 05:59 PM
Has anyone figured out anything else you can do with chromecast besides Netflix and YouTube on the iPhone?

Dontazemebro
Jul 29, 2013, 10:13 PM
Looks like the chromecast has already been rooted and now running emulators. That was quick.

The wonders of android, once it reaches the developers hands there's nothing they can't do with it.

hobbbz
Jul 30, 2013, 04:31 PM
Refreshing and refreshing... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DR0PDNE/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00DR0PDNE&linkCode=as2&tag=cuup-20)

jsw
Jul 30, 2013, 06:26 PM
Given that I have an Apple TV (or a few) and a Roku (or a few), the fact that I can stream NetFlix on the Chromecast is of limited value to me.

What makes it worth the $35 (or, for those of us who got in early, the effective cost of $11) to me is the ability to access Google Play content. Access via Nexus devices is a breeze, and access via Chrome isn't too bad either. I've not tried with an iPhone/iPad yet.

I wish they'd have put the micro USB port somewhere other than the end, because it just makes the whole thing too long to comfortable hide behind a lot of TVs, and I wish they didn't add the bright white LED, and I wish they did 5GHz. But that can come in the next generation. A $35 streaming device for Play content makes me very happy, and the fact that I can set up an ad hoc network and stream to hotel room TVs and such makes it even better.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the device and with the incredible ease of setup. That said, it's there for Play Content. Pretty much anything else will likely still go through the other devices... although I must admit that the ease of getting Netflix content on the screen is pretty compelling.

jeffe
Jul 30, 2013, 10:40 PM
I don't have mine yet so I could be wrong about this but I think the coolest part of this is the ability to bring your digitial content that your bought over to someone elses house.

For instance - If I purchase a CD or a movie, I can now easily play it over at my buddies. If I have a netflix subscription, I can easily use it over at a friends. I now have access to my digital content in my pocket and can access it on any big screen connected to a chromecast.

This to me is huge because I like sharing stuff I enjoy with others and its been hard to do in the past with stuff that is in the cloud. It makes buying movies and tv shows on Google play more compelling to although the prices are still a bit too high IMO.

mclld
Jul 30, 2013, 11:59 PM
http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/07/new-chromecast-app-can-share-anything-from-your-gallery.html

Southernboyj
Jul 31, 2013, 02:28 AM
Am I the only one getting a really laggy experience while streaming a video through the browser?

mpayne2k
Jul 31, 2013, 09:45 AM
I've successfully ran rdio from my chrome browser on my macbook pro to an HDTV with a really nice speaker set up and was enjoying music throughout my house. Very happy for this thing for just $35. My Apple TV doesn't support rdio!

dkersten
Jul 31, 2013, 01:35 PM
Does anyone know of any indication by Apple of blocking iOS apps from utilizing Chromecast? I know at the moment it is cross platform and works with Youtube (any other apps?) on iOS. But I would imagine Apple would consider blocking other developers from utilizing Chromecast if they eventually open the ATV up and release a SDK.

If not, Google has really released a game changer in how we consume media.

Southernboyj
Jul 31, 2013, 05:04 PM
Does anyone know of any indication by Apple of blocking iOS apps from utilizing Chromecast? I know at the moment it is cross platform and works with Youtube (any other apps?) on iOS. But I would imagine Apple would consider blocking other developers from utilizing Chromecast if they eventually open the ATV up and release a SDK.

If not, Google has really released a game changer in how we consume media.

It's Apple, they'll probably block it from non-Google apps.

dojoman
Jul 31, 2013, 06:05 PM
Is it possible to turn off the device while not in use? It's quite warm even in standby, I'm afraid the longevity of the device being this warm 24hrs a day.

mclld
Jul 31, 2013, 08:58 PM
This thing is so good, my wife and I was using it tonight while cooking and cleaning in the kitchen. We were easily adding songs from our phones and it worked so well. This little thing has a ton of potential

jsw
Jul 31, 2013, 09:16 PM
Is it possible to turn off the device while not in use? It's quite warm even in standby, I'm afraid the longevity of the device being this warm 24hrs a day.
Not that I know of without disabling the USB power (there are certainly all sorts of ways to do that, but few if any of them are very pretty).

Ottoman1
Aug 1, 2013, 10:14 PM
This thing is so good, my wife and I was using it tonight while cooking and cleaning in the kitchen. We were easily adding songs from our phones and it worked so well. This little thing has a ton of potential

iPhones? Adding songs to what? What app?

mclld
Aug 1, 2013, 10:53 PM
No we dont use iphones and adding songs to the queue in Google Play music. If you are not aware of it you can download the Google Play music manager on your pc and maybe mac and it will scan your itunes folder, music folder or any folder you want and add them to your account online. It will match 20,000 songs for free and you can stream them to any device, it is a great service and app

Ottoman1
Aug 2, 2013, 05:13 AM
No we dont use iphones and adding songs to the queue in Google Play music. If you are not aware of it you can download the Google Play music manager on your pc and maybe mac and it will scan your itunes folder, music folder or any folder you want and add them to your account online. It will match 20,000 songs for free and you can stream them to any device, it is a great service and app

Thanks for the info!

mattopotamus
Aug 2, 2013, 06:10 AM

that is bad ass. I never really listen to music, but I will definitely pass the info on.

mclld
Aug 2, 2013, 08:39 AM
Not only is it a great way to access your music on any computer/tablet/phone but it is a great backup for your music since you can download the songs if you need to

jsw
Aug 2, 2013, 10:43 AM
NIf you are not aware of it you can download the Google Play music manager on your pc and maybe mac and it will scan your itunes folder, music folder or any folder you want and add them to your account online. It will match 20,000 songs for free and you can stream them to any device, it is a great service and app
It absolutely works on a Mac (I use it, and I only have Macs at home, well, aside from one Chromebook), and it's fantastic. It also runs in the background (if you tell it to load at startup) and will continually upload any new iTunes content. I can get an iTunes song on my daughter's iPhone and then, moments later, it download via iTunes onto my Mac and then uploads essentially immediately to Play. Very, very nice, and also Play has free songs as well.

Highly recommended, even if you only use iTunes music.

Quotenfrau
Aug 6, 2013, 10:51 AM
Sadly Chromecast is not available in Europe.

What I miss? What does it, that ATV doesn't?

mclld
Aug 6, 2013, 11:22 AM
It isnt comparable to the roku, apple tv etc

Quotenfrau
Aug 6, 2013, 11:33 AM
It isnt comparable to the roku, apple tv etc

why not? What's a Chromecast alternative then?

mclld
Aug 6, 2013, 11:35 AM
There isnt

jsw
Aug 6, 2013, 12:25 PM
As of the moment, it's not comparable because the number of things you can do with a Chromecast is very limited. Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, and Chrome tabs are all you can stream.

That will change. Channels will be added. But for now, the primary benefit of the Chromecast over, say, an Apple TV or Roku is the ability to stream Play content if you actually have any Play content. Otherwise, the other devices do more and justify their higher costs.

The Chromecast is a fantastic device for the price. It does what it says it does. But it's not yet as capable as the others.

The alternative? An ATV or Roku 3.

mattopotamus
Aug 6, 2013, 01:05 PM
As of the moment, it's not comparable because the number of things you can do with a Chromecast is very limited. Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, and Chrome tabs are all you can stream.

That will change. Channels will be added. But for now, the primary benefit of the Chromecast over, say, an Apple TV or Roku is the ability to stream Play content if you actually have any Play content. Otherwise, the other devices do more and justify their higher costs.

The Chromecast is a fantastic device for the price. It does what it says it does. But it's not yet as capable as the others.

The alternative? An ATV or Roku 3.

exactly this. A lot of companies have come out and said they will support chromecast such as HBO GO.

Lobwedgephil
Aug 6, 2013, 02:00 PM
My chromecast is dead on arrival today. Tech support trying to say its not compatible with an airport extreme and I need to downgrade my airport firmware to 7.6.1 Which is not happening. All I get is a tiny color bar instead of the setup screen.

TheHateMachine
Aug 6, 2013, 02:01 PM
exactly this. A lot of companies have come out and said they will support chromecast such as HBO GO.

Yup there is already scraps of HBO testing on the current device with the latest software. Not to mention people are already hacking it and adding all sorts of crazy stuff like emulators.

Not to mention the Google Cast SDK for App mirroring that is now open to Android and Web Devs.

jsw
Aug 6, 2013, 02:15 PM
My chromecast is dead on arrival today. Tech support trying to say its not compatible with an airport extreme and I need to downgrade my airport firmware to 7.6.1 Which is not happening. All I get is a tiny color bar instead of the setup screen.
That's BS on a number of levels.

First, I'm on 7.6.3 and streaming with a 2012 Airport Express to the Chromecast. No issues. None.

Second, the WiFi has nothing to do with the setup screen you see on the TV until it's setup.

Your 'cast is DOA and they should accept a return on it. However, feel free to say you switched to a Cisco router or whatnot and still see the issue. They're getting hung up on the wrong thing. Or say you downgraded to 7.6.1. Doesn't matter - it's not the wifi.

ob81
Aug 6, 2013, 02:55 PM

I have an AirPort Extreme from like 2007 and it is a Japan edition and it worked after tweaking. While on 5ghz, it did not work. On 2.4ghz, it worked fine.

mclld
Aug 7, 2013, 10:25 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/06/tonido-home-cloud-chromecast-streaming/

mattopotamus
Aug 7, 2013, 10:41 AM

that would be weird that it works with my new airport express but not the extreme....

mclld
Aug 9, 2013, 12:14 PM
http://www.androidauthority.com/cyanogenmod-chromecast-any-app-254414/

Assault
Aug 9, 2013, 12:51 PM
HBO Go and Hulu confirmed a few days ago that they will make official apps for Chromecast. More will follow, until this is common for every mainstream media app.

----------

http://www.androidauthority.com/cyanogenmod-chromecast-any-app-254414/

This will be the main reason why I will stick with CM10.2 Kangs on my new Nexus 7. I will also be buying another Chromecast, cause these little things are just plain awesome. Looks like I will be dumping all my Apple TV's now and Roku's within a few months.

T5BRICK
Aug 9, 2013, 10:31 PM

Not that you needed any extra confirmation here, but my Chromecast is running fine on my 5th gen Airport Extreme running firmware 7.6.3. But, just like the other poster mentioned, I'm unable to get it functioning on the 5GHz band.

jsw
Aug 9, 2013, 10:38 PM
Not that you needed any extra confirmation here, but my Chromecast is running fine on my 5th gen Airport Extreme running firmware 7.6.3. But, just like the other poster mentioned, I'm unable to get it functioning on the 5GHz band.
I don't think it supports the 5GHz band at all.

gotluck
Aug 9, 2013, 11:07 PM

yessir, correct.

T5BRICK
Aug 9, 2013, 11:16 PM

That's very strange then. When I first fired it up, the thing actually saw my 5GHz network but refused to connect to it. After a few tries, I just used my regular 2.4GHz network and it has worked fine.

streetfoldsfive
Aug 10, 2013, 01:17 AM
Did a review of the Chromecast! Loving it!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uyt_U2xLNw

Shanghaichica
Aug 10, 2013, 05:01 AM
I'm just going to upgrade my Apple TV, it's more useful to me as I buy a lot of iTunes content. I've only ever bought one movie on google play and that was just a test. The chromecast is not available here yet. I will probably still get one when it comes out to play around with as its only $35.

Explicitic
Aug 18, 2013, 11:36 PM
Chromecast just got more useful with AirCast :)
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/play-almost-any-video-on-your-chromecast-with-aircast/

DeathTheKid
Aug 19, 2013, 08:54 AM

There is actually a pretty cool alternative that ranges from about the same price as the Chromecast to about $80. It is called Android Mini PC and runs full Android and hooks up to your TV or monitor. Here is one for $35 (http://www.amazon.com/OEM-MK802-Android-4-0-Mini/dp/B008H3B736).

Personally, I am thinking about getting one similar to this one instead of the Chromecast. However, I didn't realize that you could mirror Chrome tabs until this thread on the Chromecast. So, I may get a Chromecast, since I could watch flash videos through the Chrome browser.

einmusiker
Aug 19, 2013, 10:24 AM
There is actually a pretty cool alternative that ranges from about the same price as the Chromecast to about $80. It is called Android Mini PC and runs full Android and hooks up to your TV or monitor. Here is one for $35 (http://www.amazon.com/OEM-MK802-Android-4-0-Mini/dp/B008H3B736).

Personally, I am thinking about getting one similar to this one instead of the Chromecast. However, I didn't realize that you could mirror Chrome tabs until this thread on the Chromecast. So, I may get a Chromecast, since I could watch flash videos through the Chrome browser.

I wouldn't touch the android mini pc, very cheap construction and some pretty poor reviews

----------

does it stream from the mlb app?

DeathTheKid
Aug 19, 2013, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't touch the android mini pc, very cheap construction and some pretty poor reviews

----------

does it stream from the mlb app?

Yea, that one is the cheapest. If you do a search for 'Android Mini PC' you should find more. There are other brands that are $20-$40 more expensive, but have much better reviews.

As for the MLB app, it should considering it runs full Android.

fr4c
Aug 20, 2013, 09:40 AM
Returned mine since it does not support my 5Ghz wireless network. Since my 2.4/5 networks have different names through my TC, I'm not willing to drop my desktop and laptop to the 2.4 network just to use Chromecast.

Kinda bummed about it, but oh well.

twintin
Aug 20, 2013, 02:52 PM
Returned mine since it does not support my 5Ghz wireless network. Since my 2.4/5 networks have different names through my TC, I'm not willing to drop my desktop and laptop to the 2.4 network just to use Chromecast.

Kinda bummed about it, but oh well.

Have you considered a router that can do 2.4 and 5 simultaneously ?

fr4c
Aug 20, 2013, 04:16 PM
Have you considered a router that can do 2.4 and 5 simultaneously ?
My Time Capsule is dual; 2.4/5Ghz networks have different SSID's. Chromecast requires devices to be on the same network. Since all my devices and computers are on the 5Ghz network, I would have to switch them to the 2.4Ghz network just to use Chromecast.

T5BRICK
Aug 20, 2013, 04:19 PM
My Time Capsule is dual; 2.4/5Ghz networks have different SSID's. Chromecast requires devices to be on the same network. Since all my devices and computers are on the 5Ghz network, I would have to switch them to the 2.4Ghz network just to use Chromecast.

I'm running different SSIDs for my 2.4GHz vs my 5GHz network on my Airport Extreme network, I'm still able to start streams from my HTC One and iPad mini on the 5GHz network.

Do you have one setup as an unsecured guest network or something?

fr4c
Aug 20, 2013, 05:05 PM
I'm running different SSIDs for my 2.4GHz vs my 5GHz network on my Airport Extreme network, I'm still able to start streams from my HTC One and iPad mini on the 5GHz network.

Do you have one setup as an unsecured guest network or something?
Nope both network are secure with WPA2. Weird why it wasn't working for me, just keep getting an error message from Chromecast that devices must be on the same network.

Regardless still prefer to keep my main devices on the 5Ghz network, which Chromecast does not support. Only devices on the 2.4Ghz network are my security camera and Nest thermostat.

tbayrgs
Aug 20, 2013, 06:20 PM
Nope both network are secure with WPA2. Weird why it wasn't working for me, just keep getting an error message from Chromecast that devices must be on the same network.

Regardless still prefer to keep my main devices on the 5Ghz network, which Chromecast does not support. Only devices on the 2.4Ghz network are my security camera and Nest thermostat.

You're not imagining things, I had the same problem. Both my 2.4 and 5 GHz have the same SSID but the 5 GHz network is labeled as such automatically and the Chromecast sees it as a different network. I'm really not using it much at all right now as I have Apple TVs throughout the house which presently offer much more functionality but as it essentially cost only $11 after the Netflix rebate, not a big loss if it never gets much use.

rillrill
Aug 20, 2013, 07:25 PM
i have my airport on n/b/g and it works fine. i love this device for youtube queues and netflix.

the reason why this model will dominate when other apps can cast is it's so simple. use yr phone, tablet, or laptop. push the button and go.

i wish i could get my brand new air to cast tabs, but that part is super buggy. it may be my isp though.

einmusiker
Aug 20, 2013, 09:10 PM
I've been LOVING it for netflix. Can't wait for it to be useful for a lot more. Quick ?... How do you get it to show the chrome browser from your phone? Has anybody been able to watch Hulu streaming from your phones browser?

Dmunjal
Aug 20, 2013, 10:33 PM
I saw where someone got SlingBox to work through the Chrome browser by launching the app through Facebook apps. Very cool.

mattopotamus
Aug 21, 2013, 05:41 AM
I've been LOVING it for netflix. Can't wait for it to be useful for a lot more. Quick ?... How do you get it to show the chrome browser from your phone? Has anybody been able to watch Hulu streaming from your phones browser?

You cannot. Chrome tabs are only supported on PCs

rillrill
Aug 21, 2013, 05:57 AM
the dude from cyanogenmod(?) is working on an app that will let you stream from yr gdrive, dropbox, or gallery. that'd be super useful.

mattopotamus
Aug 21, 2013, 07:13 AM
the dude from cyanogenmod(?) is working on an app that will let you stream from yr gdrive, dropbox, or gallery. that'd be super useful.

I want to say he was working on a way to stream anything on your device

T5BRICK
Aug 21, 2013, 07:39 AM
I want to say he was working on a way to stream anything on your device

Yup. It looks really cool.

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/DxuEM7Z8phF

einmusiker
Aug 21, 2013, 07:51 AM
Yup. It looks really cool.

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/DxuEM7Z8phF

how do we get this on our phones????

kalex
Aug 21, 2013, 07:55 AM

are u assigning different networks to 2.4 and 5ghz radios? are the subnets same? it shouldn't matter if u have 2 different ssids as long as your network is same as all of your devices. You can have different ssids but if underlying network is the same for both then its supported. like you said "Chromecast requires devices to be on the same network"

T5BRICK
Aug 21, 2013, 08:09 AM
how do we get this on our phones????

It is a function built into Cyanogenmod, although I don't see any indication that it has been released yet.

mattopotamus
Aug 21, 2013, 08:32 AM
It is a function built into Cyanogenmod, although I don't see any indication that it has been released yet.

I don't think it is available yet.

einmusiker
Aug 21, 2013, 08:42 AM

I am rooted with cleanrom ACE on my note 2, will I get it?

rillrill
Aug 21, 2013, 09:21 AM
there was an apk that i installed on my nexus 4.3 but i could not get it to work. someone said videos had to be mp4 and mine were m4v. i'm not changing all of those file names.

i have to believe el goog is working on this for all their apps ala appletv.

T5BRICK
Aug 21, 2013, 09:38 AM
I am rooted with cleanrom ACE on my note 2, will I get it?

Cyanogenmod is a ROM. When it is available, it'll only be available on the Cyanogenmod releases and ROMs based on it.

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

fr4c
Aug 21, 2013, 10:20 AM
are u assigning different networks to 2.4 and 5ghz radios? are the subnets same? it shouldn't matter if u have 2 different ssids as long as your network is same as all of your devices. You can have different ssids but if underlying network is the same for both then its supported. like you said "Chromecast requires devices to be on the same network"
It's all under the same network. The only thing I've done is hide my SSID broadcast, that's it. Otherwise it's just your basic Time Capsule setup with a default 2.4 network, and a separate 5 network with a different name.

So unless I'm missing something here, or I just got a dud unit...

Explicitic
Aug 21, 2013, 04:31 PM

I don't think it is available yet.

It's not a function built into CM, nor is it unavailable. Koush released it a few days ago. I posted it a few days ago (on page 2 of this thread):

Chromecast just got more useful with AirCast :)
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/play-almost-any-video-on-your-chromecast-with-aircast/

It's called AirCast.

mattopotamus
Aug 21, 2013, 04:33 PM
It's not a function built into CM, nor is it unavailable. Koush released it a few days ago. I posted it a few days ago (on page 2 of this thread):

It's called AirCast.

That is different than what we are talking about. He posted a video a few weeks ago about a feature built into CM allowing you to play anything on your device through the chromecast.

SlCKB0Y
Aug 21, 2013, 05:29 PM
It's Apple, they'll probably block it from non-Google apps.

If they did I should think Apple would be in a pretty vulnerable spot for being accused of anti-competitive behaviour

mclld
Aug 21, 2013, 07:19 PM
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/21/fling-java-tool-streams-local-pc-media-to-chromecast-uses-vlc-to-transcode-practically-any-format/

dsa1971
Aug 21, 2013, 09:11 PM
Hopefully much more will be added in the future. For me, I've definitely had some flakiness with chromecast where the ios YouTube app is not detecting chromecast. I had to unplug then plug the chromecast back in. Sort of annoying. I like that it doesn't take up much space at all. Of course it's not like roku or atv are giant. If roku had youtube I would probably stick with that over chromecast and ps3. Roku gives me Netflix, MLB, amazon, hbo, Epix which are my primary channels I watch. For YouTube I just use the ps3

mattopotamus
Aug 22, 2013, 06:59 AM
Hopefully much more will be added in the future. For me, I've definitely had some flakiness with chromecast where the ios YouTube app is not detecting chromecast. I had to unplug then plug the chromecast back in. Sort of annoying. I like that it doesn't take up much space at all. Of course it's not like roku or atv are giant. If roku had youtube I would probably stick with that over chromecast and ps3. Roku gives me Netflix, MLB, amazon, hbo, Epix which are my primary channels I watch. For YouTube I just use the ps3

personally, the new xbox will have everything I need from a media device...even my TV. I will probably pass my chromecast on to my parents.