PDA

View Full Version : AOL to Offer 'Vintage' TV Free -- With Ads

MacBytes
Nov 14, 2005, 08:09 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Videos
Link: AOL to Offer 'Vintage' TV Free -- With Ads (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051114090930)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Photorun
Nov 14, 2005, 08:55 AM
Here we go again, Apple starts something huge, everyone else jumps on board to capitalize on it.

mlrproducts
Nov 14, 2005, 10:14 AM
But what these companies do not understand is you can't test the waters with a half-ass effort.

Sure there is demand for downloadable TV content, but there is NOT demand for online, browser-only (probably low-res) content with ads.

JohnHummel
Nov 14, 2005, 11:59 AM
But what these companies do not understand is you can't test the waters with a half-ass effort.

Sure there is demand for downloadable TV content, but there is NOT demand for online, browser-only (probably low-res) content with ads.

Agreed - more details are needed here. Are these browser only watches, or can we view them on an iPod or similiar device? Can we pipe them through El Gato to the TV screen? Is this Windows Media files only or Quicktime? The way it sounds, it's going to be streaming - in which case, forget it. I'd rather pay $1 an episode and be allowed to move it everywhere than sit at my machine and stream it.

winmacguy
Nov 14, 2005, 12:46 PM
Agreed - more details are needed here. Are these browser only watches, or can we view them on an iPod or similiar device? Can we pipe them through El Gato to the TV screen? Is this Windows Media files only or Quicktime? The way it sounds, it's going to be streaming - in which case, forget it. I'd rather pay $1 an episode and be allowed to move it everywhere than sit at my machine and stream it.
My take from reading the article is that it is a streaming service to the desktop via the browser aimed designed for people at work using corporate bandwidth and resources :eek:

solvs
Nov 14, 2005, 04:58 PM
Here we go again, Apple starts something huge, everyone else jumps on board to capitalize on it.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I mean, I'm sure they've been working on this for awhile, but with all these sudden announcements, the timing is just odd. Would this type of thing have happened without Apple? Maybe, but I don't think it would have gotten as much press and it would have come out later when the technology caught up.

shamino
Nov 14, 2005, 05:50 PM
All this is good. Lots of different companies are coming up with a wide assortment of different kinds of internet video systems.

Some will be accepted by users and will become popular, and even profitable. Others won't. In the long run, the industry will learn what people want, and the results will be more reliable than a million surveys.

Of course, the industry has a case of rampaging ego that may choose to ignore the results of these pilot programs, but that doesn't change much. Those who actually care about their customers will be paying attention.

Personally, I prefer free-with-commercials to paid-without-commercials. But in both cases, I want to be able to download a permanent copy and burn the program to a DVD. I'm sure someone will introduce this kind of service sooner or later, but the industry is going to experiment with less controversial distributions first.

ITASOR
Nov 14, 2005, 05:57 PM
Beyond the ads, some analysts question how many people will watch entire TV shows on a computer screen.

Because it's so much worse that watching them on a regular TV, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rdowns
Nov 14, 2005, 06:09 PM
I think it's about time the media companies are beginning to realize that people want content- ON DEMAND. Sure, we'll get a bunch of crappy efforts and many will try to go it alone. I think, in the long run, we'll end up with a few online stores that aggregate the content and make it easy to find and use, a la iTMS.

spice weasel
Nov 14, 2005, 06:10 PM
Say, what gives? You mean you are going to let me watch old shows for free? How dare someone give me the opportunity to watch something for free! I demand to pay for this service.

Come on, folks. If they were charging for this then you could complain all you like. Man, I don't get some people. I for one think it's great. Even if it bombs, and even if they are jumping on the proverbial [Apple] bandwagon, so what? Watching a little disco-era Linda Carter will take me back to my childhood days.

greatdevourer
Nov 15, 2005, 12:56 AM
Here we go again, Apple starts something huge, everyone else jumps on board to capitalize on it. Erm... no. The BBC's iMP service has been around for months, delivering all the past weeks content (minus films, of course) for free and without ads