Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

printz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I've installed Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail via Parallels Desktop 8 on my Retina MacBook Pro 15" 2012, and I've installed the Parallels drivers on Ubuntu, and everything works fine and fast, except that I have no sound. I tried looking for help by "ubuntu parallels no sound" on Google, but I found no helpful results. Previously I had installed several flavours of GNU/Linux on VirtualBox, but they had all kinds of problems: no retina resolution, bad mouse offset, very slow, unstable system, glitchy VirtualBox Guest Additions, strange bugs in applications… At least they had sound…

Is this a distro problem? or desktop environment problem? This is vanilla Ubuntu with Unity.

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I've installed Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail via Parallels Desktop 8 on my Retina MacBook Pro 15" 2012, and I've installed the Parallels drivers on Ubuntu, and everything works fine and fast, except that I have no sound. I tried looking for help by "ubuntu parallels no sound" on Google, but I found no helpful results. Previously I had installed several flavours of GNU/Linux on VirtualBox, but they had all kinds of problems: no retina resolution, bad mouse offset, very slow, unstable system, glitchy VirtualBox Guest Additions, strange bugs in applications… At least they had sound…

Is this a distro problem? or desktop environment problem? This is vanilla Ubuntu with Unity.

When you go to System Settings/Sound, what do you show in the box labeled "Play sound through"?

Attachments

• ubuntu1304sound.png
    ubuntu1304sound.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 178
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.