PDA

View Full Version : Character arrays in Xcode

JimmyFeatures
Nov 14, 2005, 10:54 AM
I want to assign the value of a text field to a character array in Xcode. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks.

robbieduncan
Nov 14, 2005, 11:03 AM
I want to assign the value of a text field to a character array in Xcode. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks.

What languge are you using? XCode supports Obj-C, C++, Java, AppleScript and probably lots more! Also what type is the character array? Is it char (i.e. a byte) or unichar (2 bytes I think).

JimmyFeatures
Nov 14, 2005, 11:10 AM
Basically, I want to assign

char array[255]

to a text input.

robbieduncan
Nov 14, 2005, 11:18 AM
Basically, I want to assign

char array[255]

to a text input.

You still havn't said what language! That narrows it to C++ (Carbon) or Obj-C (Cocoa). When you say text input do you mean from the command line or from a text box on screen (in a window)? If it's from a text box in a window you need to very carefull with this as the string value from that text box will be 16-bit Unicode, whereas your array is for 8-bit chars.

You can do do this in Cocoa with something like:

IBOutlet NSTextView *textView; // Conect in IB

char *array = [[textView stringValue] UTF8String];

This assumes that the text in the text box is a UTF-8 string (i.e. ASCII). The array returned will be null terminated, not 255 bytes long.

JimmyFeatures
Nov 14, 2005, 11:24 AM
OK. To clear this up.

I am using OBJ-C in cocoa, and would like to assign a text input, which is a text box inside a window (not command line) to a C/C++ style character array.

robbieduncan
Nov 14, 2005, 11:28 AM
OK. To clear this up.

I am using OBJ-C in cocoa, and would like to assign a text input, which is a text box inside a window (not command line) to a C/C++ style character array.

Then the above will work for UTF-8 strings. If you need it in an array that you have assigned you can just copy the characters across or use the provided NSString method (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/ObjC_classic/Classes/NSString.html#//apple_ref/occ/instm/NSString/getCString:maxLength:encoding:). You need to know what encoding you are in.

Perhaps you could read the documentation (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/ObjC_classic/Classes/NSString.html).