Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smallboxes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2013
Saw the Apple TV at a store and thought it was cool. With all the new updates and hardware redesigns coming this Fall I was wondering whether I should invest in buying one or not.

Also, I fished around the internet for information on the AppleTV and there was a lot of "cable" suggestions.

Do I still need cables (HDMI, AUDIO, mini display..etc) for the AppleTV to work? Even though it has Airplay/Mirroring?

Should I bother investing in it with the Fall overhaul of Apple updates and redesigns?:apple:

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
It's hard to tell if and when Apple will introduce a fourth-generation Apple TV. If the current version does what you want, go ahead and buy. There's no guarantee Apple will debut a new version this fall.

The only cable you need to supply with an Apple TV is an HDMI to hook it up to your TV. You can hook it up to Ethernet or an optical cable if you want, but neither is critical to normal operation.

smallboxes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2013
The only cable you need to supply with an Apple TV is an HDMI to hook it up to your TV. You can hook it up to Ethernet or an optical cable if you want, but neither is critical to normal operation.

What is the difference between "male to male" and "female to female", I just searched HDMI cables on Amazon and one of the cables is just "male-to-male" what is the difference?

fanfaning

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
yes.You will want a male-to-male HDMI cable. Try Monoprice.com or Amazon Basics.
jw7q

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I say buy it. It's only $100 so even if a new one comes out later this year you can sell your old one and upgrade for $50 max. Get a refurb if you want to save a bit on the outlay.

manutd27

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Saw the Apple TV at a store and thought it was cool. With all the new updates and hardware redesigns coming this Fall I was wondering whether I should invest in buying one or not.

Also, I fished around the internet for information on the AppleTV and there was a lot of "cable" suggestions.

Do I still need cables (HDMI, AUDIO, mini display..etc) for the AppleTV to work? Even though it has Airplay/Mirroring?

Should I bother investing in it with the Fall overhaul of Apple updates and redesigns?:apple:

I was in this exact predicament and I thought for the sake of £80 you may as well buy it. There's no guarantee a new one will come out in the Autumn and even if it does, you may lose £30-40, but for the sake of 3-4 months use it's worth it. Mine should be arriving today! :D

blujacket

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2013
It was a no brainer purchase for me. I bought it mainly for Netflix,HBO Go, & Watch ESPN. HBO alone is paying for my AppleTv. True Blood seasons cost $40 on blu-ray, watching the last few seasons has paid for itself. Granted I have Uverse and pay a subscription for HBO also.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I'm going to replace my 2 with a 3. I just got a new 1080p tv. And the 2 already looks pretty damn good pushing 720p.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Tell us more about what impressed you about it, what type of functionality you're hoping to get out of it, what other Apple products you currently own (e.g., iPhone, MacBook), what type of TV and A/V Receiver you currently have, what country you live in, and whether you consider $100 to be in impulse-buy territory or if that's a big expense for you. We can provide more valuable advice if we know these details.

smallboxes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2013
I will purchase a male-to-male hdmi cable and the 3rd Generation Apple TV. Thank you everybody for the input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.