PDA

View Full Version : MBA 13" (latest) iPhoto

unplugme71
Jul 29, 2013, 08:51 AM
Just curious to those with the latest MBA 13" with 8GB Ram having any difficulties managing large iPhoto libraries? I'm talking like 18-22GB large.

I'm also considering doing this over ethernet/wifi connection. Should I go with a MBP instead?

sonicrobby
Jul 29, 2013, 09:06 AM
I cant talk from the air perspective, but I can talk with similar spec perspective. My iPhoto library is somewhere in the 19.6GB range last time I checked. The only issues I had using my 13" 2012 MBP (dual core, 8GB RAM, HDD) was that I took a good minute to load it all, and when scrolling Id sometimes get the pinwheel cursor. After a while when it fully loads, its manageable. My 15" rMBP (quad core, 8GB RAM, SSD) has no problem whatsoever opening, scrolling, or anything of the sort. Im still unsure if the reason it works a lot better is because of the SSD or the quad core. If its the SSD, I would say the air would be fine, if its the processor, I probably wouldnt go anywhere near the air then.

Hopefully there is an air user with an extensive library that could help you out though.

Weaselboy
Jul 29, 2013, 09:09 AM
I have that exact machine and manage about 7,000 photos (8GB) with no problems at all. If I click iPhoto, it launches immediately and the grey wheel spins about three seconds before the library is loaded and ready to go. With the SSD speeds in these things, I don't see how a larger library would be a problem at all.

I have the library on the local disk though. I think with any machine and the iPhoto library on a networked drive it will be significantly slower.

mb21
Jul 29, 2013, 09:11 AM
I've a 1.7Ghz i5 MacBook Air with 4GB of RAM no trouble with my 22GB iPhoto Library.

MadGoat
Jul 29, 2013, 09:25 AM
my 28GB library has no issues. opens up in about 3 seconds.

unplugme71
Jul 29, 2013, 09:41 AM
Good to know there doesn't seem to be an issue with the MBA over local disk. I know that over a wireless network, things can be slower. I plan on getting the new Time Capsule so I have the faster wireless speed.

The data that I'll be accessing from is a latest Mac Mini Server, connected via Gigabit Ethernet, with a USB 3.0 RAID 10 array. Disk I/O is pretty fast so I'm hoping iPhoto over the new Wireless AC won't be too bad. I guess worst case, I can always break up my iPhoto Library into smaller chunks.

Weaselboy
Jul 29, 2013, 10:03 AM
Good to know there doesn't seem to be an issue with the MBA over local disk. I know that over a wireless network, things can be slower. I plan on getting the new Time Capsule so I have the faster wireless speed.

The data that I'll be accessing from is a latest Mac Mini Server, connected via Gigabit Ethernet, with a USB 3.0 RAID 10 array. Disk I/O is pretty fast so I'm hoping iPhoto over the new Wireless AC won't be too bad. I guess worst case, I can always break up my iPhoto Library into smaller chunks.

Read my post #8 in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1614493). At this point the AC speed is not what it should be. Hopefully Apple will issue an update that fixes this.

RightMACatU
Jul 29, 2013, 11:15 AM
Slowly migrating my pics and movies in iPhoto on my mid-2012 MBA and my file size is at 15GB and growing. No issued so far. I expected to get up to about 25GB when done.