Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Hey Guys,
(a bit of background in case you are interested) I am a reasonably proficient programmer, but have only been using XCode and Obj C for the past half a year of so to create a tool for my Master's degree thesis.

Anyways, on a few occasions I have had cases where nested message passes/function calls do not work (either compile or run-time errors), but when I break things up it works. Usually nesting is no problem, but occasionally it happens. I usually assume I am just doing something wrong that I can't figure out. Here is an example: (basically, transition is an instance of an object with a variableResets member array which I want to add an object, variableReset)

(broken up)
NSMutableArray* arr = [transition variableResets];
[arr addObject:variableReset];
[transition setVariableResets:arr];

(one line)
[transition setVariableResets:[[transition variableResets] addObject:variableReset]];

The one line version gives me a compile error of "invalid use of void function." Both setVariableResets and addObject are void functions, but I can't see how either are being used incorrectly. And variableResets does return a mutable array, but I am guessing that it somehow has to do with something like that.

It's probably some sort of simple thing that I am just overlooking or unaware of, but maybe someone knows what the error is. And I'll stress that I really don't care about having to break it up, but it really puzzles me as to why?

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Code:
[[transition variableResets] addObject:variableReset]

does not return anything, so when you use the code:

Code:
[transition setVariableResets:[[transition variableResets] addObject:variableReset]];

there is an error because you are using a non-existent value as a parameter. Breaking it up, your code is equivalent to:

Code:
id returnValue = [[transition variableResets] addObject:variableReset]; //Error, as there is no return value
[transition setVariableResets:returnValue];

Here it is a bit more clear what the problem is.

As a sidenote, you shouldn't need to call -setVariableResets anyway. When you send the variableResets message to transition, you are returned a pointer to the array it uses, not a copy. Therefore, when you change the array, the array transition uses is also changed. The following code should do what you want:

Code:
[[transition variableResets] addObject:variableReset];

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Yep, that would do it. I knew it had to be something dumb. Thank you very much. And you are correct, I am miss-using pointers.

(That's one thing that is annoying about Cocoa/Obj C. Not many/any people I know use it so I can't just turn to a friend and do the "hey, I'm an idiot. why doesn't this work" about once a week. Oh well.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.