Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Been running IOS 7 Beta 3 and now Beta 4

for the first 1.5 weeks it was fine, except for your regular bugs, then all of a sudden my back camera is frozen, the flashlight in control center is greyed out as well

when i open the camera app, i can click to switch to front camera and all is fine, as soon as you click the back camera it freezes

interesting find is i downgraded to 6.1.4 today and same thing with camera. So is it possible the IOS & Beta 3 could have broken my camera permanently?

Beta 4 similar result obviously, no break or drops on the phone.

I guess i should downgrade to 6.1.4 before i take it in to apple, just wanted to ask if anyone has experienced something similar

thanks

pottyvick

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2013
Sounds more of a hardware issue that was bound to happen regardless of ios... I haven't had such issues with any of the betas

CanesDrew

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
Been running IOS 7 Beta 3 and now Beta 4

for the first 1.5 weeks it was fine, except for your regular bugs, then all of a sudden my back camera is frozen, the flashlight in control center is greyed out as well

when i open the camera app, i can click to switch to front camera and all is fine, as soon as you click the back camera it freezes

interesting find is i downgraded to 6.1.4 today and same thing with camera. So is it possible the IOS & Beta 3 could have broken my camera permanently?

Beta 4 similar result obviously, no break or drops on the phone.

I guess i should downgrade to 6.1.4 before i take it in to apple, just wanted to ask if anyone has experienced something similar

thanks

If you did a clean install (read: you COMPLETELY wiped your device and did NOT restore from backup) of 6.1.4, then it's likely a hardware issue. However, if you restored from backup then the issue is likely software. Even doing a seemingly fresh restore does not remove all remnants of the previous install. I would do this first or else the Apple Store will tell you to after you get there and you'll have to make 2 trips.

But if iOS 7 broke your camera, then it would not be Apple's fault and they should not be liable for it. This is precisely why they say it's only for developers and should not be on your main device. But some people REFUSE to listen and take a gamble.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
yeah i did a clean install and it doesn't work, i guess ill take it in

its not my main device i use it for developing and testing so its not a big deal, would be nice if the camera worked though

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
If you did a clean install (read: you COMPLETELY wiped your device and did NOT restore from backup) of 6.1.4, then it's likely a hardware issue. However, if you restored from backup then the issue is likely software. Even doing a seemingly fresh restore does not remove all remnants of the previous install. I would do this first or else the Apple Store will tell you to after you get there and you'll have to make 2 trips.

But if iOS 7 broke your camera, then it would not be Apple's fault and they should not be liable for it. This is precisely why they say it's only for developers and should not be on your main device. But some people REFUSE to listen and take a gamble.

Tell that to someone developing a photo based app.

I'd do a clean install of beta 4. If that doesn't work, revert to iOS 6. If the issue persists, make a Genius Bar appointment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.