Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Hi guys ,

I am trying to copy all of the filesystem with iexplorer from an iphone 3g running 4.2.1 to an iphone 2g that will hopefully look exactly as the original after the copy. Is it possible? Also, will it do any damage to the 2g iphone? (I am aware that I am copying the 4.2.1 ios as well which is not supported by apple on the iphone 2g)

I await your replies,

iphone2g&3gfan

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
It's not just that it's not supported by Apple, it's that it won't run. Period.

I suppose it's probably possible using SSH and basic POSIX commands, but it'll just leave you with a non-functioning device that you'll have to restore.

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
"I suppose it's probably possible using SSH and basic POSIX commands, but it'll just leave you with a non-functioning device that you'll have to restore."

What are and how do you perform those commands? I have no absolute idea.

----------

One more thing: If you are right, and those commands I have no idea about work but it doesn't boot, will it be recognized as the iphone 3g? Because if it is I can restore to the stock firmware 4.2.1 for my faked-identity device.

grumpygeorge

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
it won't be recognised as anything else than an iPhone 2G, the hardware identifier isn't built into the OS. There is absolutely no way to run iOS 4 on anything prior to the iPhone 3G

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.