PDA

View Full Version : MacWorld 2006 Predictions

MacBytes
Nov 14, 2005, 07:43 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: MacWorld 2006 Predictions (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051114204330)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

joecool85
Nov 14, 2005, 07:52 PM
W00T! I'll buy an Intel Mac Mini so long as it has decent specs and the price doesn't change!

mjstew33
Nov 14, 2005, 07:55 PM
Sweet. :D

It's totally ganna happen. When has the Wall Street Journal been wrong? Barely any. I might buy :D

SiliconAddict
Nov 15, 2005, 01:49 AM
Nothing really new in the article. I thought the insight into school purchases being before April was interesting. But really nothing that hasn't been talked around MR's for weeks.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Nov 15, 2005, 10:42 AM
Ben Reitzes, UBS Investment Reseach:
"An Intel-based Mac Mini."
"More video content and digital entertainment offerings."
Give me my Mac-based home media center!!! Nothing special, just a 200 GB hard drive and Tivo like functionality! That's all i ask! I REALLY want to get a DVR, but I dont liek the Comcast ones and I would rather not buy a Tivo if I can get one from Apple.

shamino
Nov 15, 2005, 01:40 PM
Our extensive checks in the supply chain are pointing to a very possible early introduction of Intel-based Macs before the June 2006 target date
What target date?

The Jobs announcement said that models would ship some time in the first half of 2006. It's a leap of an editor's imagination to interpret this as "we will ship them on June 30".

wordmunger
Nov 15, 2005, 01:44 PM
Sweet. :D

It's totally ganna happen. When has the Wall Street Journal been wrong? Barely any. I might buy :D

This is Forbes, not the WSJ. Forbes tends to be more speculative.

solvs
Nov 15, 2005, 03:42 PM
I think it's pretty obvious. Updated shuffle, new iLife, possibly something new or upgraded like Airport/Airport Express or iSight. Probably something with the mini. I'm not getting my hopes up for an Intel Mac, but I might be pleasantly surprised (never thought I'd say that).

iDONTdoWINDOWS
Nov 16, 2005, 12:04 PM
I was getting ready to buy a new Mac should I wait until MWSF?

shamino
Nov 16, 2005, 04:11 PM
I was getting ready to buy a new Mac should I wait until MWSF?
The computer you buy today won't become obsolete after MWSF. Whatever the new models are, a system bought today will be useful and will remain useful for many years.

It all comes down to how long you want to wait.

I typically tell people to wait if it's less than a month before a major event where product announcements are likely. But it's several months before MWSF. And if the last few years mean anything, several of the new Macs may not be announced until a few weeks after MWSF.

As for the new Intel models, I wouldn't recommend being an early adopter. Even if everything works perfectly, your apps will take a performance hit until you can upgrade them to Intel/Universal binaries. I'd wait for key applications (for me, this is MS Office and Photoshop Elements) to be upgraded to x86 before purchasing Intel hardware.

SummerBreeze
Nov 16, 2005, 04:30 PM
I'm definitely not expecting an Intel mini at Mac World. Seems a bit too soon to me, and I'm kind of thinking that they'll make intel notebooks first. But who knows, maybe...

Lacero
Nov 16, 2005, 05:07 PM
iLife will need to be ported to universal binary before they can ship any consumer intel mac. I just don't see it happening with emulated software until third party developers get on the bandwagon. Six months is long enough right?

Trout74
Nov 17, 2005, 09:45 AM
Intel MacMini..................I dont think so. The Mac Mini is silently being upgradded RIGHT NOW. Most all shipping Mac Mini's have 1.5GHZ chips and 64Megs of Graphics RAM and a faster HD. Why would they upgrade them AGAIN in January when they havent even announced the current upgrade. Doesn't make sense to me. Intel Based Powerbook makes more logical sense to me, as the current Powerbooks are pathetic to say the least.

stoid
Nov 17, 2005, 09:49 AM
iLife will need to be ported to universal binary before they can ship any consumer intel mac. I just don't see it happening with emulated software until third party developers get on the bandwagon. Six months is long enough right?

Steve showed back in June at the WWDC that the iLife suite was already a universal binary, and running native on an Intel Mac.

Lacero
Nov 17, 2005, 09:54 AM
Didn't Steve just demo iPhoto? I read somewhere iTunes last week it was the latest app to get ported, shown running on intel OSX. I think the iMovie and iDVD remain the most challenging.

shamino
Nov 17, 2005, 03:01 PM
Didn't Steve just demo iPhoto? I read somewhere iTunes last week it was the latest app to get ported, shown running on intel OSX. I think the iMovie and iDVD remain the most challenging.
If the apps were developed according to Apple's own programming guidelines, they should be just as portable as all the rest. They should be using the Accelerate framework and CoreImage for all of the AltiVec interfacing.

If not, then shame on Apple for not following their own rules.

shamino
Nov 17, 2005, 03:03 PM
Steve showed back in June at the WWDC that the iLife suite was already a universal binary, and running native on an Intel Mac.
He demoed iPhoto. He said that all of Apple's application software was ported. But this doesn't necessarily mean all of them were completely tested and ready to ship.