Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I tried searching the forum but didn't see anything related to the topic. I am halfway through my billing cycle and already used nearly 5gigs of data. Before ios 7 beta I was good for about 2 gigs a month. The only real change I have made is that I have been listening to iTunes Radio a lot over LTE.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 212

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I tried searching the forum but didn't see anything related to the topic. I am halfway through my billing cycle and already used nearly 5gigs of data. Before ios 7 beta I was good for about 2 gigs a month. The only real change I have made is that I have been listening to iTunes Radio a lot over LTE.

Then that will be it surely. Have you got unlimited data?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Hmm this will definitely be a problem for non-unlimited data users. Thank God I have unlimited. I'm on pace for 10 gigs of data this month. Never had this problem with pandora.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Hmm this will definitely be a problem for non-unlimited data users. Thank God I have unlimited. I'm on pace for 10 gigs of data this month. Never had this problem with pandora.

It could be because its a beta, maybe usage will be reduced when its release. I don't know. People who do not have unlimited data (i feel sorry for them) would benefit from a pop up that says something about how much data iRadio will consume.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008

Wait, was there a question here?

You have been streaming lots of high quality audio via LTE.
Your data usage went way up.

Seems pretty simple to me.

I remember last year, with the iOS6 beta, getting hit with high data usage, just using the turn by turn directions on a 2 hour drive.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013

I remember last year, with the iOS6 beta, getting hit with high data usage, just using the turn by turn directions on a 2 hour drive.

I don't really care that it's using the data ... I can see this being a problem for people without unlimited data. Not sure if the quality is is better then Pandora but I could listen to pandora all month and never come close to 5 gigs.

Hopefully when ios 7 comes out of beta they change this or I can see people without unlimited data not using iTunes Radio after they see their first months bill.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I don't really care that it's using the data ... I can see this being a problem for people without unlimited data. Not sure if the quality is is better then Pandora but I could listen to pandora all month and never come close to 5 gigs.

Hopefully when ios 7 comes out of beta they change this or I can see people without unlimited data not using iTunes Radio after they see their first months bill.

Surely they'll make a switch for it in settings (is there one now?) with a disclaimer stating that iRadio uses data etc.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Surely they'll make a switch for it in settings (is there one now?) with a disclaimer stating that iRadio uses data etc.

Let's hope .. I just did a little research and it seems that pandora streams in 64k AAC+ ... Maybe iTunes Radio is 192kbs.

A switch to change the quality would be a great idea.

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012

Did you download the Beta files over cellular? That could be a contributing factor. And I agree with those suggesting that it's possible it will consume less as the refine it, but as someone who also has unlimited data you can still get throttled. Which probably won't affect radio at all, but sucks for video and general web speed.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
You can see exactly how much data each app and system service is using under Settings -> Cellular.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Did you download the Beta files over cellular? That could be a contributing factor. And I agree with those suggesting that it's possible it will consume less as the refine it, but as someone who also has unlimited data you can still get throttled. Which probably won't affect radio at all, but sucks for video and general web speed.

You can't download the Beta over cellular, it's wifi only.

BobNoxious

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
The reason is the "cellular fallback" feature of ios 7 beta. Cellular fallback, which was in an earlier iOS 7 beta. This technology would automatically switch to a cellular connection if a WiFi Network was bad due to a cable modem or router issue. Now it is called "WiFi plus Cellular" ... still bad if you are on a cap and you thought you were streaming youtube to your wifi and instead used up your data.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Just downloaded My Data Manager app today to check this kind of stuff. Free and will tell you not only how much data you are using but which apps are using it. :)

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Or, just check it out in Settings --> Cellular, as previously suggested?

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    179.3 KB · Views: 114

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The app automatically resets the data usage though based on either your billing cycle or any other time frame you wish. What you see on the phone is the usage from when you last reset it (if you ever did).

With the app, you can set it to reset monthly based on your carriers billing date so it can warn you if ou are getting close to your limit or any other limit you may set. Also tracks wifi versus cellular and the locations you accessed either of those. Pretty cool if you love checking out metrics.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Hard to tell from that because I haven't reset my statistics since june 11. I thought it would be automatic.[COLOR="#808080"

You should get in the habit of resetting these at the end of your billing cycle, ESPECIALLY for betas. Ideally, Apple would include a feature to reset it automatically, and email you the data each month. How awesome and simple would that be?

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
You should get in the habit of resetting these at the end of your billing cycle, ESPECIALLY for betas. Ideally, Apple would include a feature to reset it automatically, and email you the data each month. How awesome and simple would that be?

Cool idea but instead of email, it should display in notification center.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Or you can just get the free app I mentioned and it will do all of that and more for you...:p
A) I would like the OS to do it, not a third party app
B) It won't work for me, as I understand it requires a profile to be installed, and I'm already being managed with a corporate profile that blocks others?

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Double edge sword. Bummer for excess usage, awesome for better quality audio. Most medium plans are 1.5-2gb pm data allowance here in Australia.. Hopefully this could push increases.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012

Oh, here come the smarta**es. Read the whole thing. He said it was using more than Pandora, also high quality audio that he used via LTE.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
A) I would like the OS to do it, not a third party app
B) It won't work for me, as I understand it requires a profile to be installed, and I'm already being managed with a corporate profile that blocks others?

Not sure about your second point. One thing I did notice last night is that the app is not optimized for iOS7 as it does not show the individual app percentage usage...but that is now a feature of iOS7, so not a big deal. I really do like the way it shows where I am accessing wifi or cellular on a map and how much of each is being used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.