PDA

View Full Version : 'iPhone 5C' Case Shows Up On Amazon

MacRumors
Jul 30, 2013, 10:09 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/30/iphone-5c-case-shows-up-on-amazon/)

The rumors about the new "plastic" iPhone (may be called the iPhone 5C, according to a recent leak (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/28/photo-of-plastic-packaging-with-iphone-5c-name-surfaces/)) have been ramping up over the past couple of days, and now an enterprising case manufacturer has released (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=elago+5c) a set of "iPhone 5C" cases on Amazon.com (via Nowhereelse.fr (http://www.nowhereelse.fr/coque-protection-iphone-5c-86373/)).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/5ccase.jpg
The three cases, which are available in black, navy, and white, appear to be in line with low-cost iPhone dimensions that were leaked (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/19/design-drawings-reveal-case-makers-expectations-for-iphone-5s-and-lower-cost-iphone/) by another case maker in June.

The low-cost iPhone is expected to be similar in size to the current iPhone 5, though with a rounded polycarbonate shell that comes in an array of colors. MacRumors commissioned renderings (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/02/high-resolution-renderings-of-apples-lower-cost-plastic-iphone/) in July showing what the phone could potentially look like based on current schematics.

It is not unusual for case manufacturers to use rumored case specs (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/26/new-case-designs-revive-unlikely-iphone-5-design/) ahead of product releases to get a jump on manufacturing. Creating a case based on unconfirmed measurements is always a gamble, however, and there is no guarantee that elago's "5C" case will fit the finalized product that Apple produces.

Yesterday, a report emerged (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/29/pegatron-employee-describes-role-in-producing-apples-lower-cost-plastic-iphone/) from the China Labor Watch claiming poor working conditions inside Pegatron, one of Apple's assembly partners, in which a "plastic iPhone" was confirmed. The quote was provided by a worker whose role was to apply protective film onto the rear shell of the device before the part enters the assembly process:Today's work is to paste protective film on the iPhone's plastic back cover to prevent it from being scratched on assembly lines. This iPhone model with a plastic cover will soon be released on the market by Apple. The task is pretty easy, and I was able to work independently after a five-minute instruction from a veteran employee. It took around a minute to paste protective film on one rear cover. The new cell phone has not yet been put into mass production, so quantity is not as important. This makes our job more slow paced than in departments that have begun mass production schedules. According to recent reports, Apple's low-cost plastic iPhone is expected (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/22/low-cost-iphone-and-ipad-5-to-ship-in-early-september-with-iphone-5s-to-coming-later-no-retina-ipad-mini-in-2014/) to be launched sometime in the fall, potentially as early as September.

Article Link: 'iPhone 5C' Case Shows Up On Amazon (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/30/iphone-5c-case-shows-up-on-amazon/)

Sky Blue
Jul 30, 2013, 10:13 AM
A plastic case for a plastic case.

Mr. Gates
Jul 30, 2013, 10:14 AM
Plastic on plastic.

This thing is gonna sell like hot cakes

----------

Ahhh, ya beat me to it LOL

lolkthxbai
Jul 30, 2013, 10:15 AM
Plastic on plastic...? Really? I mean, at least make it transparent!

newyorksole
Jul 30, 2013, 10:15 AM
In the past, soooo many false cases have popped up, but since we actually have photos of physical/tangible shells of these iPhone 5C's, I believe these cases are accurate.

coasterswim
Jul 30, 2013, 10:18 AM
A bunch of cases also showed up in 2011 for the "bigger screen" iPhone that was rumored to come out and than all we got was the 4S.

jian
Jul 30, 2013, 10:22 AM
I always hated cases, I think they defeat the purpose of apple design, but oh boy, i gotta say 5C looks way better with a case. Bravo Jonny boy

bravo for the case manufacture too, 1999 for the original price with a discounted price of 9.99 dollars...

Tankmaze
Jul 30, 2013, 10:23 AM
Very speculative this case manufacturer, I wont bother with case for the plastic iphone as it will crack like the macbook white.

dannyyankou
Jul 30, 2013, 10:25 AM
Doesn't surprise me. Companies design cases based on rumors/leaks all the time. Remember this case "leak" for the iPhone 5?

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/case_mate_iphone_5_cases.jpg

bobbytallant
Jul 30, 2013, 10:27 AM
I think if these things have a retina screen, its quite possible they will canibalise 5S sales - I mean beyond us 'fans' on here (or maybe I'm speaking for myself!), I bet a lot of people will not be over concerned about the plastic. The 3G/3GS back was great for the most part, a lot people REALLY liked it even. Same software, same screen, same screen size, and I'm really not sure people will choose to pay significantly more for the 'premium' that is the 5S i.e. a bit faster, a bit better camera and a finger print sensor (so we think anyway)..

CFreymarc
Jul 30, 2013, 10:30 AM
Plastic on plastic.

----------

Be a critic all you want. Those first out of the gate for 5C cases are going to make a killing. When you buy a cheaper phone, you have more cash for accessories. Also, lower end electronic consumers are notorious for accessorizing. Think of it as a cheap Honda or Toyota all blitzed out. You don't see higher end cars with as many accessories.

YourHerojb
Jul 30, 2013, 10:34 AM
Which means apple must be pretty confident of the specs upgrades coming with the new device.

bcc2k
Jul 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
I'd like it that way. I think it looks pretty nice with such a contrast of black and white.

glenbogle
Jul 30, 2013, 10:39 AM
Yo dawg, we heard you like plastic cases, so we put a plastic case on your plastic case so you can-- Oh I can't even be bothered.

keysofanxiety
Jul 30, 2013, 10:40 AM
I hope Apple change the case design at the last minute. That'd be a laugh :cool:

Georgij
Jul 30, 2013, 10:55 AM
The way to get a free ad for your case company:
Step 1: Mockup a case for an unnanounced iPhone (Hint: use imagination)
Step 2: Spread it to apple fan websites
Step 3: Profit

Drumjim85
Jul 30, 2013, 10:56 AM
I think if these things have a retina screen, its quite possible they will canibalise 5S sales - I mean beyond us 'fans' on here (or maybe I'm speaking for myself!), I bet a lot of people will not be over concerned about the plastic. The 3G/3GS back was great for the most part, a lot people REALLY liked it even. Same software, same screen, same screen size, and I'm really not sure people will choose to pay significantly more for the 'premium' that is the 5S i.e. a bit faster, a bit better camera and a finger print sensor (so we think anyway)..

What if the highest capacity is only 8gb? Maybe 4gb.

allistera
Jul 30, 2013, 10:57 AM
iPhone [C]olor.

thmsup
Jul 30, 2013, 11:00 AM

Thank you. I had to giggle.

theBB
Jul 30, 2013, 11:00 AM
iPhone 4 design was a work of art and metal frame acting as an antenna may have been great for reception by the time 4S rolled around, but rounded edge of 3GS felt more comfortable in my hand.

In any case, I agree, I doubt many people will care about the plastic back if some of the truly garish plastic cases I see around are any indication.

newyorksole
Jul 30, 2013, 11:09 AM
Doesn't surprise me. Companies design cases based on rumors/leaks all the time. Remember this case "leak" for the iPhone 5?

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/case_mate_iphone_5_cases.jpg)

ummm the difference here being we have several photos of the leaked iPhone 5C.... we had NO physical evidence of the phone those casemate cases were supposed to be for.

so that picture is invalid.

mdelvecchio
Jul 30, 2013, 11:11 AM
Plastic on plastic.

This thing is gonna sell like hot cakes[COLOR="#808080"]

guess you werent around for the 3G and 3GS -- both record sellers and both had plenty of aftermarket cases.

Tiger8
Jul 30, 2013, 11:11 AM

I think it will be Retina, however, it will probably be a slower processor, NON-LTE (HSPA+ only), and will lack a couple of other things.

Will it canibalise on 5s sales? of course, just like the mini did to the iPad, but should also open up doors to people who woulnd't even consider an iPhone otherwise, so the net result is positive

maxosx
Jul 30, 2013, 11:16 AM
iPhone 4 design was a work of art

I agree, as Art it was quite clean & attractive.

As a phone mine was crap.

Sitting on the desk unused, was its finest hour.

Thanks to Google & Samsung I had an excellent Android phone to enjoy and rely on.

Technarchy
Jul 30, 2013, 11:28 AM
guess you werent around for the 3G and 3GS -- both record sellers and both had plenty of aftermarket cases.

For a phone that was around for quite awhile, there is a starling amount of amnesia when it comes to the 3GS.

BigHonkingDeal
Jul 30, 2013, 11:31 AM

Thanks to Google & Samsung I had an excellent Android phone to enjoy and rely on.

How does this go again? Oh yeah....

I call BS

djra8
Jul 30, 2013, 11:52 AM
wheres my bigger screen...

powers74
Jul 30, 2013, 11:54 AM

nvmd

Free fall
Jul 30, 2013, 11:57 AM
Why is that girl in the ad peeing her pants?

Mr. Gates
Jul 30, 2013, 11:57 AM

I was in fact. But we have all moved on since then.

ritmomundo
Jul 30, 2013, 11:59 AM
What an awkward pose in that picture. The girl looks like she really has to pee and she's trying to hold it in.

Ivabign
Jul 30, 2013, 11:59 AM
Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Benjamin: Yes, sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Benjamin: Yes, I am.

Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?

Aljamaki
Jul 30, 2013, 12:01 PM

Don't scoff, remember that ALL of the Samdung phones have plastic cases. What are Otterboxes made of???? Plastic.

just1ed
Jul 30, 2013, 12:03 PM
Wrap it up in a case and tada! It looks like an iPhone 5. Which also means, wrap your Aluminum clad iphone 5 in a plastic case and tada! It is a iPhone 5C.

As much as I don't want my phone to have scratches, I use a fabric sleeve instead of a case for that reason.

And iPhone 5C might just cannibalise iPhone 5S's sales.

Ivabign
Jul 30, 2013, 12:04 PM
I was in fact. But we have all moved on since then.

I dunno - other than the screen being larger and the phone thinner* - the ergonomics of my Samsung Omnia II and the Galaxy S4 are the same.

*Omnia II + rolling pin + heat/pressure = S4

mattopotamus
Jul 30, 2013, 12:05 PM
I think it will be Retina, however, it will probably be a slower processor, NON-LTE (HSPA+ only), and will lack a couple of other things.

Will it canibalise on 5s sales? of course, just like the mini did to the iPad, but should also open up doors to people who woulnd't even consider an iPhone otherwise, so the net result is positive

they won't make that mistake. I think it may have the same processor as the 5 and a worse camera though.

gentleman00
Jul 30, 2013, 12:06 PM
The whole point of manufacturing a plastic shell casing is so you won't have to buy a plastic cover. Of course, the profits companies make from producing plastic covers are so high that they try to convince any gullible person that they need one.:rolleyes:

Star Brood
Jul 30, 2013, 12:10 PM
So the ad is supposed to mean that the iPhone 5C is so powerful it can blow women's clothes off?

thefourthpope
Jul 30, 2013, 12:10 PM

That's the biggest potential breaking point for me. I want 128, but definitely can't go back to less than 64.

Scott6666
Jul 30, 2013, 12:11 PM
iPhone [C]olor.

iPhone [C]hina

thefourthpope
Jul 30, 2013, 12:11 PM
The whole point of manufacturing a plastic shell casing is so you won't have to buy a plastic cover.

I thought it was so MR folks could talk down about anyone with an iPhone Cheap :p

Big-TDI-Guy
Jul 30, 2013, 12:15 PM
What an awkward pose in that picture. The girl looks like she really has to pee and she's trying to hold it in.

Was beginning to thing something was wrong with my brain for thinking exactly this. Woman in "gotta go" pose, above iPhone cases - was wondering what they had to do with each other.

Also, WTF is up with the leather and chain chair behind her?

Perhaps the less I ask, the better off I am...

BruiserB
Jul 30, 2013, 12:16 PM
they won't make that mistake. I think it may have the same processor as the 5 and a worse camera though.

Actually I could see it being non-LTE. Hadn't really thought of this before the other poster's specualtion, but most of the developing markets where Apple hopes to sell this don't have LTE yet. And even in the US, if Apple sees pushing this downmarket, they need to have a solid differentiation with the 5S. They likely want to push this to places that don't rely on subsidies like MVNOs and don't lots of them not allow LTE speeds anyway? I would think it will have T-mobile's 1700 AWS HSPA+ band though so that it can at least get 3G (or faux 4G) in non-refarmed areas. All depends on the differential cost of having LTE. If it makes a big difference to the margin, they could easily get away with leaving it out.

ValSalva
Jul 30, 2013, 12:18 PM
This looks pretty good. I don't think this case manufacturer is taking as much of a risk as past ones have. Remember the teardrop iPhone cases? :eek:

newdeal
Jul 30, 2013, 12:22 PM
too bad they never made that tear drop iPhone that was rendered before the 4S was released

HitchHykr
Jul 30, 2013, 12:25 PM
The whole point of manufacturing a plastic shell casing is so you won't have to buy a plastic cover. Of course, the profits companies make from producing plastic covers are so high that they try to convince any gullible person that they need one.:rolleyes:

Really? it surely couldn't be because plastic is cheaper, or that it can be manufactured in different colors, or different shapes, right? Apple is so concerned for us that they decided to use plastic just to save us the $19.95 for a new case...

Talk about ->:rolleyes:

ChrisCW11
Jul 30, 2013, 12:29 PM
Why would you need to wrap plastic with more plastic? Of course since gorilla glass and metal phones I haven't felt the need to put plastic around a phone in a good long time.

Next you are going to buy covers to cover covers for plastic phones.

ritmomundo
Jul 30, 2013, 12:30 PM
Was beginning to thing something was wrong with my brain for thinking exactly this. Woman in "gotta go" pose, above iPhone cases - was wondering what they had to do with each other.

Also, WTF is up with the leather and chain chair behind her?

Perhaps the less I ask, the better off I am...

I had the same thought about the chair. If you look closely, it looks like the seat is actually a tire (which would be open in the center). Mixed with the "gotta go" pose, maybe the chair is some Objet Trouvé toilet?

What all that has to do with iPhone cases, I have no clue. :confused::confused:

Kwill
Jul 30, 2013, 12:32 PM
Many people consider a case a priority accessory in case they drop their phone. (If plastic case cracks, you replace it easily. If plastic phone cracks, you may be without a phone or at minimum scratch up your expensive purchase.) This case actually classes up the plastic case (though covering the color).

Transparent cases are not what they seem, as debris eventually gets between the phone and cover with unsightly results.

SpinThis!
Jul 30, 2013, 12:42 PM
Actually I could see it being non-LTE.
I could too but Carriers want customers to use data. LTE is becoming a standard—not having it will be like not having Bluetooth or GPS. Apple supports their phones for 2 years with the 3rd year being a crapshoot on support, so the question really is: what's still going to be somewhat relevant 2 years from now?

I think a lot of people here are forgetting the bigger picture: Apple is still going to continue to sell the (now) current iPhone 5 but at a lower price. So Apple's lineup is going to look like this:

iPhone 5S ($199)
iPhone 5 ($99)
iPhone C ($49? or free)

I would bet they're going to drop the 5 designation on the C model since it would be confusing with the (now) current model. What's to differentiate between the 5 and 5C then in a consumer's mind? I think this would also allow Apple to use whatever specs they want—not using a number frees Apple from whatever confines the previous models had.

iPhone C is going to be very similar to the 4S, same camera, different case but possibly having much of same innards as the iPhone 5. I think Apple would love to get away from supporting the 3.5" retina display and move all of them to 4" but I don't think it'll happen yet on this interation and the top 2 models will have the same screen with lower priced model keeping the smaller screen. The C model won't have Siri either.

Tiger8
Jul 30, 2013, 12:43 PM

Why would it be a mistake? Google Nexus 4 does not have LTE, and it's been selling like hotcakes.

Also, if this phone is primarily aimed for growing markets, most of these markets dont' have LTE to begin with.

Last but not least, with the exception of the Big 4 (barely), there is no LTE even here in the US. Net10, Straighttalk, H20, etc... don't have LTE

scbn
Jul 30, 2013, 12:43 PM
Well, this just looks like a case for iPhone 5.

olowott
Jul 30, 2013, 12:45 PM
here they go again, betting everything on rumours , which hmmm kinda look accurate.:rolleyes:

i'll just wait till its announced.

lars666
Jul 30, 2013, 12:49 PM
iPhone 5C - move along, nothing to protect here.

mattopotamus
Jul 30, 2013, 12:49 PM
Why would it be a mistake? Google Nexus 4 does not have LTE, and it's been selling like hotcakes.

Also, if this phone is primarily aimed for growing markets, most of these markets dont' have LTE to begin with.

Last but not least, with the exception of the Big 4 (barely), there is no LTE even here in the US. Net10, Straighttalk, H20, etc... don't have LTE

b.c that phone is a year old now and actually sells better outside of the US. Most people in the US are with the big 4, and even prepaid plans with att/tmobile include LTE

AppleWarMachine
Jul 30, 2013, 12:50 PM
Good thing apple is making different color iPhones...
...so they can be covered up by a case :rolleyes:

5C...C for cheap, i'll pass

bring on the 5S...S for Superior

VanillaCracker
Jul 30, 2013, 12:53 PM
Be a critic all you want. Those first out of the gate for 5C cases are going to make a killing. When you buy a cheaper phone, you have more cash for accessories. Also, lower end electronic consumers are notorious for accessorizing. Think of it as a cheap Honda or Toyota all blitzed out. You don't see higher end cars with as many accessories.

Ummm. Actually, it's because a lot of the accessories Economy cars offer are already standard on Luxury lines. Also, the accessories in Economy lines are cheaper. If you've ever looked at a Porsche's accessory cost, there basically isn't one less than $1000. And I'm not talking about the packages. If you bought a 5S and are a general consumer, you might want to buy a case, in case you drop it. If you bought a 5C and are a general consumer, you might want to buy a case, in case you drop it. A phone is a phone, and they bought it to use it as their main phone. If they care about it, they'll get a case. It's not because it's cheaper that they will be able to AFFORD the case. Likewise with other accessories. They'll buy what they need.

Wat.

The iPhone 6 should be out sometime next October.

It's not a mistake, and they will. The 5C is very likely to have a Retina display, and an 8MP camera. It may be on par with the 4S' camera, but to be honest that isn't too far from the 5's camera either. It'll be a good camera, no doubt. But keep in mind, the 5S is likely to upgrade to a 12MP camera in a few months. The processor might be an A5 or maybe even underclocked A6. Either way, it's not going to be a lousy chip, because it needs to be able to handle the new iOS7 proficiently. And as you guys know, the iPhone 4 can't really do that, and the 4S is probably borderline. Things are getting better with the new tweaks, of course. But we're talking about a finished product here. They're not going to skimp on the processor to the point where it seems anything but perfectly acceptable, as this phone will be big. It certainly will cut a lot into 5S sales, and the sooner you all metal advocates get over that, the better. I will be happy to see less people with premium iPhones, and more the cheaper iPhones. As it will basically replace those who get a new iPhone when it drops to free, with the newer plastic one, except to an even greater degree, because it'll already be free-$100 when it comes out.

currentinterest
Jul 30, 2013, 12:59 PM
I believe the "5C" will replace both the 4S and the 5. It will be retina and will definitely be LTE. It will likely have internals similar to the iPhone 5, as well.

iPhone 5C 8GB $0 (or $49)
iPhone 5C 16GB $99
iPhone 5S 16GB $199
iPhone 5S 32GB $299
iPhone 5S 64GB $399

If one wants the metal case, faster machine, more RAM, fingerprint sensor, better camera, NFC, then one will likely pay the $100 difference. If one wants greater than 16GB storage, then one will have to buy the 5S. Seems pretty logical to me, and given how many lower cost phones Apple is currently selling, the 5C will likely have better margins then the 5 and 4S.

scbn
Jul 30, 2013, 12:59 PM
Apple does not want to continue to support 3.5" screen. So I think the 5C will have the same 4" screen. As for the internals, a 3G only 5c would be a big surprise as it'll be ridiculed by its competitors; Apple could put different chips for different markets, especially if they could bring in China Mobile which has its own TD-LTE network type that's different from most other countries.

iPhone C is going to be very similar to the 4S, same camera, different case but possibly having much of same innards as the iPhone 5. I think Apple would love to get away from supporting the 3.5" retina display and move all of them to 4" but I don't think it'll happen yet on this interation and the top 2 models will have the same screen with lower priced model keeping the smaller screen. The C model won't have Siri either.

Chastepe
Jul 30, 2013, 01:06 PM
When iPhone C comes out, I will gladly throw away my laggy :eek:Samsung Galaxy Ace from the balcony of my house and then maybe burn it with acid:mad:

Ryth
Jul 30, 2013, 01:10 PM

Apple isn't making the cases. They probably won't even make anything for this and let the 3rd party people deal with it.

But it is hilarious...plastic on plastic.

Get a bestskinsever and be done with it.

TC03
Jul 30, 2013, 01:12 PM
I think a lot of people here are forgetting the bigger picture: Apple is still going to continue to sell the (now) current iPhone 5 but at a lower price.No they won't.

iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C, that will be it.

----------

And iPhone 5C might just cannibalise iPhone 5S's sales.Bold statement! I applaud your courage.

sixstrings03
Jul 30, 2013, 01:13 PM

I'm thinking the internals of the 5C would be identical to the 4S, and the 5S will have a few cool feature bumps (fingerprint, camera, processor, 32GB base storage) to differentiate.

eddi.maruyama
Jul 30, 2013, 01:20 PM
iPhone 5C - iPhone 5 CHINA

Zerilos
Jul 30, 2013, 01:21 PM

If Apple does this well, cannibalization shouldn’t the major an issue. In all likelihood, Apple is attempting to work out deals with Asian carriers where the phone will be sold for less than what it can be purchased for in North America.

pajamma
Jul 30, 2013, 01:22 PM
Shouldn't a 5c case be made out of anodized aluminum?

Shaun, UK
Jul 30, 2013, 01:24 PM
Given the amount of leaks about this product maybe they should just release it now rather than wait until Sept.

iOS/OSX in June, iPhone & iPod in August, iPad in Oct. Nice 2 month gap in between. Just enough time to save up for each new device.

Boomish69
Jul 30, 2013, 01:25 PM
What a lack of vision and response to customers wanting a larger screen, I hope this backfires big time in Apples face, they never seem to learn. It seems all about a big flashy features and no real substance just minimal updates and cosmetic makeovers, like this plastic iPhone Logic Pro X is a prime example. Who on earth is going to buy this certainly not us even if it is cheap.

theMaccer
Jul 30, 2013, 01:26 PM
looks like she has to pee

12lee
Jul 30, 2013, 01:31 PM
This wouldn't have happened under Steve.

(yes! first to post this after 3 pages :))

MacDarcy
Jul 30, 2013, 01:33 PM
I am surprised that Apple is doing the low cost iphone before introducing a larger screen iphone. Im an apple fan/user till the day i die, but Samsung has really seemed to tap into what the public wants with the larger screen smartphones. I'm sure Apple is working on one of their own to compete for this growing want...but they sure are taking their sweet time about it! Summer/Fall of 2014 seems like an awfully long way away to wait for the rumored 4.5" to 5" iphone screen.

Dr McKay
Jul 30, 2013, 01:33 PM

Plastic on plastic.

This thing is gonna sell like hot cakes[COLOR="#808080"]

Being as this is the internet and sarcasm can often be difficult to detect, I'm going to post this on the assumption you are both being sarcastic and critical of this idea. If I am incorrect in my assessment of your posts do let me know :cool:

Post Begins.

The iPhone 3G and 3GS were made of plastic and cases were still very commonly used. The Screen was still glass and would still shatter. The plastic on the back was very brittle and would crack and shatter very easily still. It's the reason the Plastic on the back of the S4 is so bendy, so it wont crack and break apart as easily as rigid plastic.

chrisbru
Jul 30, 2013, 01:39 PM
I believe the "5C" will replace both the 4S and the 5. It will be retina and will definitely be LTE. It will likely have internals similar to the iPhone 5, as well.

iPhone 5C 16GB $99
iPhone 5S 16GB $199
iPhone 5S 32GB $299
iPhone 5S 64GB $399

If one wants the metal case, faster machine, more RAM, fingerprint sensor, better camera, NFC, then one will likely pay the $100 difference. If one wants greater than 16GB storage, then one will have to buy the 5S. Seems pretty logical to me, and given how many lower cost phones Apple is currently selling, the 5C will likely have better margins then the 5 and 4S.

Yep.

KdParker
Jul 30, 2013, 01:41 PM

hmmm. you forgot the /sarcsm

tech4all
Jul 30, 2013, 01:42 PM

cRaZy!!!!!!! :eek:

What is it with iPhone lovers and plastic. Is it like your arch enemy or something? Hope you ya'll didn't have some Apple products before that were plastic...iBooks...PowerMac G4/G3...Apple mice...

sulpfiction
Jul 30, 2013, 01:47 PM

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/case_mate_iphone_5_cases.jpg)

I loved this "leak". When the rumors that "case mate" jumped on board and started producing cases, I was convinced that this was the new iPhone 5. And I was REALLY disappointed when I saw the 4S at the keynote.

mrsir2009
Jul 30, 2013, 01:51 PM
Wow, a lotta people on here seem to have a plasto-phobia...

yeah
Jul 30, 2013, 01:52 PM

No LTE, is this 2008? :eek::D

The Man
Jul 30, 2013, 01:55 PM
When iPhone C comes out, I will gladly throw away my laggy :eek:Samsung Galaxy Ace from the balcony of my house and then maybe burn it with acid:mad:

Me too. I bought Samsung phone because it was cheap at the time, and I thought it would be good enough. Well, it's crappy. Also never had any software or security update from Samsung. If only I could buy an Apple iPhone for a reasonable price. Currently, iPhone 4 8GB costs 388 Euro full price. I doubt this iPhone 5C will be much cheaper, even though it's plastic. @ 350 Euro for 16GB I will probably buy it, but will Apple do that when an iPod touch 32GB costs 319 Euro? Let's hope Apple will surprise us like when they did introducing the first iPad.

rickdollar
Jul 30, 2013, 01:58 PM
Who the heck is going to buy one of these?
The phone can't even be purchased.

dazed
Jul 30, 2013, 02:01 PM
Who the heck is going to buy one of these?
The phone can't even be purchased.

There is a sucker born every minute.

StyxMaker
Jul 30, 2013, 02:01 PM
So the ad is supposed to mean that the iPhone 5C is so powerful it can blow women's clothes off?

Maybe it's a hint about what the 'C' really stands for.

bedifferent
Jul 30, 2013, 02:02 PM
I had the same thought about the chair.

Guys, c'mon, it's a "scat "chair :p

Tiger8
Jul 30, 2013, 02:02 PM

Nexus 4 did not have LTE, the nerds and geeks were up in arms about it, and vowed not to buy it, yet it sold like hot cakes.

With the exception of AT&T and Verizon, LTE coverage is a joke in the states. Sprint? T-Mo? not even close.

And like I said in my former post, if it's targeted to emerging, and prepaid crowds, then I'm sure lack of LTE will not prevent them from picking it up. HSPA+ has spees of upto 21Mbps, good enough.

anomie
Jul 30, 2013, 02:14 PM

Then Apple would have changed from the smartest IT company to the most stupid you could possibly imagine.

powers74
Jul 30, 2013, 02:16 PM
iPhone [C]hina

([C]ensored)

tyson12zoll
Jul 30, 2013, 02:25 PM
This Amazon.com review made men laugh:

"All I know is that it fits my non-existant iPhone 5C perfectly.

The only problem is that with this case I have no signal. Also the iPhone it fits is extraordinarily difficult to use with this case because it doesn't exist yet."

j.applewood
Jul 30, 2013, 02:27 PM
...That awkward moment when no one can tell which is 5S and which is 5C, because everyone uses the same sh** plastic case...

NoneOfYourB
Jul 30, 2013, 02:29 PM
Be a critic all you want. Those first out of the gate for 5C cases are going to make a killing.

Yeah, but who's going to buy them months in advance?

KdParker
Jul 30, 2013, 02:29 PM
Would love to see some credible spec rumors.

lordofthereef
Jul 30, 2013, 02:34 PM
I am more excited for this phone than the 5S. :o

Canyonero
Jul 30, 2013, 02:38 PM
This 5C is such a genius move! If you think about it. It will completely refresh the iPhone line. Why hasn't there been a premium product and a less premium basic product like with every other Apple product before? People who say this is to simply get more money in the bank are so wrong. This will unify the whole product line, get rid of those 3.5" screens, simplify the offering and offer more choice than just the old model vs. new model. Genius move!

donutbagel
Jul 30, 2013, 02:42 PM
And I saw an "iPhone 5G" case on eBay.

----------

cRaZy!!!!!!! :eek:

What is it with iPhone lovers and plastic. Is it like your arch enemy or something? Hope you ya'll didn't have some Apple products before that were plastic...iBooks...PowerMac G4/G3...Apple mice...

I have a plastic 2006 MacBook. It's covered in scratches and small cracks.

lolkthxbai
Jul 30, 2013, 02:42 PM
Apple isn't making the cases. They probably won't even make anything for this and let the 3rd party people deal with it.

But it is hilarious...plastic on plastic.

Get a bestskinsever and be done with it.

I didn't think I had to mention it but I was fully aware this wasn't from Apple :P

Now that I think about it though, people do cover their plastic android phones with plastic so maybe I'm not really one to judge...? It still rubs me the wrong way though. Understandable if you want a different color than the stock colors but otherwise it's you're just protecting plastic with plastic. I guess this goes to show how we value an iPhone compared to other phones; iPhone plastic > any other plastic phone or plastic case.

BlindMellon
Jul 30, 2013, 02:47 PM
Then Apple would have changed from the smartest IT company to the most stupid you could possibly imagine.

i'll bet a buck it's limited to 16gig tho...

eyehop
Jul 30, 2013, 02:56 PM
I don't understand the obsession with cases for phones in general, but especially here. Why put a plastic shell over a plastic shell?:confused:

GSPice
Jul 30, 2013, 03:04 PM
I don't understand the obsession with cases for phones in general, but especially here. Why put a plastic shell over a plastic shell?:confused:

To protect the phone from scratches, so that it have a higher resale value.

:confused:

leez
Jul 30, 2013, 03:13 PM
I like the wallpaper. Anyone knows where to find it ? www.tineye.com gives no results, even after cropping/resizing/stretching the wallpaper itself.

Thanks.

falconeight
Jul 30, 2013, 03:34 PM
Would be sad if the plastic iPhones were actually iPhone 5s hiding in plastic.

Anuba
Jul 30, 2013, 03:34 PM
Fans of the company that spearheaded the use of aluminum enclosures to set their products apart from the competition are probably likely candidates for plastophobia, yes. Because they remember all those times when they scoffed at any product that wasn't made out of metal and glass, and now they have to do a 180 and say that plastic is fantastic.

hspace
Jul 30, 2013, 03:45 PM
I have an iPhone 5, but I have to say that I really do like the more rugged looking "5C" design. If I was upgrading I would definitely consider it.

martygras9
Jul 30, 2013, 03:52 PM
I honestly can't decide if the woman is being sexy in the image or if she has to pee... maybe both?

HoopTrundler
Jul 30, 2013, 04:22 PM

Yeah, a killing... Because that worked out so well for the first people to make the tapered iPhone 5 cases, right before the 4S came out. :p

Lancer
Jul 30, 2013, 04:38 PM
It kinda reminds me of my white 3Gs and it's black cover. But I thought the whole point of the cheap plastic iPhone was you didn't need a cover?

Amazon has jumped the gun a little with this, unless they have inside knowledge on the 5c?

rp2011
Jul 30, 2013, 04:39 PM
That doesn't look too bad actually, but I think I will let mine go bare and get it's scratches and dings. Plastic was BORN to be dinged. Set it free. FREE I TELL YOU!!

ok, maybe got carried away, but still, I'll take mine naked.

maxosx
Jul 30, 2013, 04:42 PM

That's fear based plasto-phobia... :eek:

dckcentaur
Jul 30, 2013, 05:34 PM
Maybe apple is not going to release a iPhone 5S . Maybe this year is will only be the new plastic iPhone 5C (if that is the name) and make it a less expensive model. They can do away with the "S" models as they are really just bumped up specs for the most part. Then some time the first half of next year the iPhone 6 (premium) that is a redesign (Screen, Specs etc added hardware) and that way they can have a new model of iPhone, one cheaper model like the pervious Premium phone and the Premium one launching at different times of the year. It would make a lot of sense to capitalize on the buzz surrounding new models being released. It just a thought I had for a while now.

Matt T
Jul 30, 2013, 05:43 PM
I don't understand all the flack the 5C is getting - especially the "plastic is so un-Apple" vibe some people seem to have. Plastic was perfectly acceptable for the 3G and 3GS, I don't see a problem with it being used again, especially because the majority of handsets on the market today are plastic. Not everybody feels the need for a precision-crafted glass and aluminium phone - many people, both existing and potential buyers, would be happy with a plastic iPhone - and for those who aren't, they have the option of the 5S. We already know Apple sell more iPhone 4 and 4S' today than many Android handsets, and those are handsets released 3 and 2 years ago respectively - can you imagine the sales figures of a brand new handset with the same or better specs at a similar price point? I can see these things selling like hotcakes.

Not to mention, it's going to make a fantastic Christmas present for my Mum to replace her 3GS.

malnar
Jul 30, 2013, 05:53 PM
That's fear based plasto-phobia... :eek:
I have to agree here. I like the IDEA of the design - I like the rounded edges and such much more than the sharp, square edges of the 4/5 era model. But I had a 3G and the whole back cracked, even with a case on it, and the Apple store replaced that... and that one cracked too. I'm not particularly hard on my iPhones, either - they go in my front pocket or on my desk, generally. They don't see any kind of abuse. But those two plastic cases looked like they'd been beat all to hell. My iPhone 4 and the 4S I replaced it with more than a year ago look almost like the day I got them. My wife's 3 year old iPhone 4 bears some scratches, but for being that old, no case, and her not worrying one bit about how she takes care of it, I'm pretty amazed. So, yeah, the idea of a new plastic iPhone does concern me a bit.

Tiger8
Jul 30, 2013, 06:20 PM
I have to agree here. I like the IDEA of the design - I like the rounded edges and such much more than the sharp, square edges of the 4/5 era model. But I had a 3G and the whole back cracked, even with a case on it, and the Apple store replaced that... and that one cracked too. I'm not particularly hard on my iPhones, either - they go in my front pocket or on my desk, generally. They don't see any kind of abuse. But those two plastic cases looked like they'd been beat all to hell. My iPhone 4 and the 4S I replaced it with more than a year ago look almost like the day I got them. My wife's 3 year old iPhone 4 bears some scratches, but for being that old, no case, and her not worrying one bit about how she takes care of it, I'm pretty amazed. So, yeah, the idea of a new plastic iPhone does concern me a bit.

My old 3GS cracked too! Crack is whack man! Crack is whack!

my 4s looking as good as new, naked.

Where did your 3Gs phone crack?

Boatboy24
Jul 30, 2013, 06:37 PM
Seems like putting a condom on a dildo...

skellener
Jul 30, 2013, 06:42 PM
I have the plastic iPhone - it's the called the 3GS!

SpinThis!
Jul 30, 2013, 07:08 PM
Why hasn't there been a premium product and a less premium basic product like with every other Apple product before?... offer more choice than just the old model vs. new model.

One can also argue less choice is the reason why the iPhone has been so successful so far: you can only get an iPhone, not iPhone lite, iPhone Basic, iPhone Ultimate, etc.

If you don't want the current model or can't afford it, you can still get last year's model—or even the one before that—at a discount. Current tech is expensive and the industry moves so fast it doesn't make sense to make 3 different models, 2 of which will be completely outdated in a year. Apple's not Android where they need to compete on hardware and price—they make their OS work with their hardware.

nycmi
Jul 30, 2013, 07:22 PM
If that is a proper rendering of the phone, I think it looks really good. Apple have done a fantastic job.

Takeo
Jul 30, 2013, 07:40 PM
I used a case on my 3GS but only because I found it very slippery without one.

CFreymarc
Jul 30, 2013, 07:44 PM
Yeah, but who's going to buy them months in advance?

It is not now, it is getting their pipeline together. Early bird ...

----------

Seems like putting a condom on a dildo...

To some, there is no such thing as sex that's too safe.

----------

That doesn't look too bad actually, but I think I will let mine go bare and get it's scratches and dings. Plastic was BORN to be dinged. Set it free. FREE I TELL YOU!!

ok, maybe got carried away, but still, I'll take mine naked.

http://www.troll.me/images/brick-tamland/thats-what-she-said.jpg

captain kaos
Jul 30, 2013, 07:53 PM

*Le Sigh*......That rumoured 5 design was great, wish that had happened. Perhaps the 6 though.

----------

I think if this coloured phone is updated internals from the 5s i'll be buying, and i wouldn't be getting a plastic case for it....defeats the point of getting a coloured phone, and its already plastic.

----------

Maybe apple is not going to release a iPhone 5S . Maybe this year is will only be the new plastic iPhone 5C (if that is the name) and make it a less expensive model. They can do away with the "S" models as they are really just bumped up specs for the most part. Then some time the first half of next year the iPhone 6 (premium) that is a redesign (Screen, Specs etc added hardware) and that way they can have a new model of iPhone, one cheaper model like the pervious Premium phone and the Premium one launching at different times of the year. It would make a lot of sense to capitalize on the buzz surrounding new models being released. It just a thought I had for a while now.

I think its one phone this year, but not a cheap one. I honestly believe Apple are getting away from the SJ era design, and possibly the whole numbers/S naming with this new phone having updated internals as well as the re design outer.

PhilCox1984
Jul 30, 2013, 08:04 PM
According to recent reports, Apple's low-cost plastic iPhone is expected (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/22/low-cost-iphone-and-ipad-5-to-ship-in-early-september-with-iphone-5s-to-coming-later-no-retina-ipad-mini-in-2014/) to be launched sometime in the fall, potentially as early as September.

iPhone 5C = iPhone 5CHINA, iPhone 5C specifically for Chinese market (at least to start with)

maxosx
Jul 30, 2013, 08:08 PM

For some odd reason Apple doesn't seem to be able to create durable products from plastic. They seem to be the only company that struggles. Like others have mentioned even the plastic MacBooks were prone to cracks and other failures. This is most likely why people in the Apple community are so critical of the material. The accepted practice of blaming everyone but Apple, wrongly instills fear in them.

macs4nw
Jul 30, 2013, 08:34 PM
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/5ccase.jpg)

Article Link: 'iPhone 5C' Case Shows Up On Amazon (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/30/iphone-5c-case-shows-up-on-amazon/)

This phone with it's case, the way it wraps around the (vulnerable) corners, while leaving the top and bottom easily accessible, is looking goood!

Bummer.....That, and only that, would stop me from getting one.

rp2011
Jul 30, 2013, 09:47 PM
I'm getting the plastic one. ..unless the 5S has a really cool feature.
I hope they are both released on the same day so I can compare so I won't be tempted to rush in and buy the first one I see.

RobertMartens
Jul 30, 2013, 09:50 PM
Think of it as a cheap Honda or Toyota all blitzed out. You don't see higher end cars with as many accessories.

I don't find any references to 'blitzed out'

blitzed out
Intoxicated beyond belief, to a point of not remembering own actions or events.

Do you mean some other similar word like 'bling'?

jonnysods
Jul 30, 2013, 09:53 PM

I think this will be the 5 and they will stop manufacturing the old style.

RobertMartens
Jul 30, 2013, 10:01 PM

Oh man, I loved 2008
Summer of '08, Obama getting the nomination and no housing loan mess (yet).

dampfnudel
Jul 30, 2013, 10:38 PM

iPhone 5C 16GB $99
iPhone 5S 16GB $199
iPhone 5S 32GB $299
iPhone 5S 64GB $399

No 128GB iPhone 5S? The 5S should start at 32GB for $199 and if you only want 16GB, you can get the 5C for $100 less.

Sigspd
Jul 30, 2013, 11:27 PM

Most consumers would pay extra for the camera, but not necessarily for the faster speed. If the finger print sensor works well, it could be helpful for a lot of people who tend to loose their phone, or it could be an easier way to get into the phone that would be worth it for a lot of people. The fact that the sales of the ipad, and the macbook pro/air are so strong, is testament that people will spend more if the quality is there.

the8thark
Jul 31, 2013, 03:03 AM

Yo Dawg I heard you like plastic so we made a plastic case for your plastic iPhone so you can have plastic in plastic.

----------

The iPhone 1 I currently use is 8GB and it's enough for me. The iPhone C is for people who want the phone in smartphone. Those who want the smart (ie the computer) they buy a high end iPhone.

I personally live the iPhone for the ease to type in sms and make calls. Beats a dumbphone hands down. And it looks great too as a bonus. But for me (And a lot of people) if 8GB was cheap enough we'd buy on day one. I'd pre-order the second I could. It's all up to the build quality and price.

The camera would be damn nice as I never have a camera on me when I want one but meh I could live without that I guess, like I have for all my life till this point in time.

CFreymarc
Jul 31, 2013, 04:20 AM
I don't find any references to 'blitzed out'

blitzed out
Intoxicated beyond belief, to a point of not remembering own actions or events.

Do you mean some other similar word like 'bling'?

Remind me not to have you in a debate team for using a definition out of context. Slang is regional, temporal, generation and context driven. I suggest you look up a car customizing scene such as a rally or street race and you'll understand it.

Cloudane
Jul 31, 2013, 07:27 AM
Somehow I doubt we'll see this phone here. C for China. Like the cheap versions of Windows.

Tiger8
Jul 31, 2013, 07:56 AM
Somehow I doubt we'll see this phone here. C for China. Like the cheap versions of Windows.

? but the cheap version in Windows is already in the states, Nokia 520 is only $99 for both AT&T and T-Mobile, contract free

blitzer09x87
Jul 31, 2013, 08:56 AM
why would one cover a plasticy low-cost phone?

asthamapheo
Jul 31, 2013, 04:05 PM
an ugly case for an ugly phone.

aziatiklover
Jul 31, 2013, 04:11 PM

Plastic on plastic.

----------

Dont ya remember the iphone 3G and 3GS incase slider case that was selling like hot cake?!

yeah
Jul 31, 2013, 05:47 PM
Nexus 4 did not have LTE, the nerds and geeks were up in arms about it, and vowed not to buy it, yet it sold like hot cakes.

With the exception of AT&T and Verizon, LTE coverage is a joke in the states. Sprint? T-Mo? not even close.

And like I said in my former post, if it's targeted to emerging, and prepaid crowds, then I'm sure lack of LTE will not prevent them from picking it up. HSPA+ has spees of upto 21Mbps, good enough.

Look at the cost side:

LTE radios are very cheap now to implement inside a phone. :D

WoodyTheMilkMan
Jul 31, 2013, 06:02 PM
Eh, I feel like I'm the only person who thinks this may be the ugliest design the iPhone has had. The iPhone 4 will go down in history as one of the beautiful phones ever to be released.

egoistaxx9
Jul 31, 2013, 06:24 PM
wow, the phone looks exactly like the iphone 5s (except for the plastic of course), apple has done a pretty good job.

minhquan2106
Jul 31, 2013, 11:22 PM
wow, the phone looks exactly like the iphone 5s (except for the plastic of course), apple has done a pretty good job.

It looks good in the box too

http://s17.postimg.org/qzrxt2q5r/1016985_516443165095544_1419854324_n.jpg

egoistaxx9
Aug 1, 2013, 07:56 PM
It looks good in the box too

Image (http://s17.postimg.org/qzrxt2q5r/1016985_516443165095544_1419854324_n.jpg)

after all it's from apple, you should always expect the best from apple.

asthamapheo
Aug 3, 2013, 01:07 PM
still better than all those plasticy devices from samsung and LG, apple always goes for the best.

BeharryS
Aug 10, 2013, 01:46 PM
http://pinterest.com/pin/536491374330444968/

Just not a big fan of plastic. Has to be real leather to get that smart, stylish look!

nikandriko
Aug 28, 2013, 04:17 PM
I think that companies are coming up with even less intrusive cases as they realize that nearly everyone buys one. It's like an insurance to the $600-700 investment people make.