Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Hi, I'm a bit worried about having to install Windows in parallels regarding the computer security. Is parallels runs in a sandbox environment? If theres a software running in windows on parallels and stealing data, will it be able to access my data store in the OS X ? (Documents directory, Music etc?)

Thanks in advance!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi, I'm a bit worried about having to install Windows in parallels regarding the computer security. Is parallels runs in a sandbox environment? If theres a software running in windows on parallels and stealing data, will it be able to access my data store in the OS X ? (Documents directory, Music etc?)
Unless you go through very specific, deliberate steps to enable it, no Windows application can write on your OS X partition, and no Windows app, including malware, can run in OS X.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Maybe.

There are exploits to get out of the hypervisor for some versions of other hypervisors.

Though the likelihood is very very low.

https://ng.techweb.com/authds/gatew...virtualization-vulnerability-allows/240001996

Given the track record Parallels has had with regards to performance vs stability (it's faster than vmware but has had previous data corruption bugs) i wouldn't rule it out.

Again though, very very unlikely, and i doubt someone who's capable of writing such an exploit would bother to target parallels on mac, the number of targets is simply too low.

More info:
http://blogs.gartner.com/neil_macdonald/2011/01/26/yes-hypervisors-are-vulnerable/

Again.... not likely.

Last edited:

bist

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Any malware may have access to your personal files:
- By default (It may depend on the version), Parallel will share your Mac home folder with Windows.
- This is with read/write access.

This "feature" can be deactivated in the configuration of your VM ("Options" / "Sharing").

EDIT: For security reasons, you can disable everything in the "sharing" settings (look also in the "security" settings).

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Any malware may have access to your personal files:
- By default (It may depend on the version), Parallel will share your Mac home folder with Windows.
- This is with read/write access.

This "feature" can be deactivated in the configuration of your VM ("Options" / "Sharing").

That's good to know.

Likelihood of cross infection is pretty low (Mac won't generally run PC malware) though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.