Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I can't get airDrop to work at all. I have only tried in one location (my office) and I'm not sure if it's something that has to do with my office wifi network, or if AirDrop even uses Wifi but it's clearly not working. It seems to enable both wifi and bluetooth when I turn airdrop on via control center. Does AirDrop use both protocols?

Me and my colleague both set AirDrop to "everyone" and we are on the same wifi network within a few feet of each other and we sometimes see each other when trying to send a photo but most times we do not. However even when I see his name under AirDrop and I try to send a file it just says "waiting" and doesn't do anything. It doesn't show a screen on his phone asking him to accept the file. Once I saw a screen on my phone saying he was attempting to send me a file and I clicked accept but nothing happened and no file transferred.

It's possible that this is just a known bug in the beta version of iOS7 (both of us are running the latest beta, beta4), but I want to try to understand the issue some more before I submit the bug to Apple.

Has anybody actually gotten AirDrop to work?

Last edited:

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
I have tried it at least a dozen times with the wife in our home and it has only worked twice. Every other time I just get the "waiting" and it never actually sends. Probably still working the kinks out of the beta.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Interesting. So maybe it's not just me.

Also I was really looking forward to this feature so I could send files to my Mac via AirDrop but apparently Mac's aren't supported. is that correct?

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Mine worked intermittently in beta 3 and before, but with beta 4, it is working perfectly. It's so convenient! Looking forward to when iOS 7 is released to the public so I can use it with my friends!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.