PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered an ibook!

seh80
Nov 14, 2005, 10:43 PM
And I can now begin to worry lol. I see they are mid cycle... I don't want a wide screen, don't want a first intel either.

Do you guys think there will be another update before the above happen? Was this a good time to buy? I got the 12'' ibook, 1GB ram, 80GB hard drive. I'm replacing an ancient HP Pavilion notebook from '99 (wouldn't even go online anymore).

I'm really excited, this was one crazy generous gift from my grandmother. I still can't believe it. Dying for next week! :)

Thanks for any thoughts!!

Mechcozmo
Nov 14, 2005, 11:01 PM
Don't sweat it. Be happy.

stevietheb
Nov 14, 2005, 11:24 PM
Don't sweat it. Be happy.Word.

Sutekidane
Nov 14, 2005, 11:27 PM
Wish I had a new ibook, being away from OSX is becoming more difficult than I imagined. ah well, it's all about self control.

AJ Muni
Nov 14, 2005, 11:34 PM
wow what a great grandma....dont worry your fine, i rememer my 1st mac( dec '04) was an ibook, and it was great....dont worry about updates...your GONNA LOVE YOUR MACHINE...and post pics!!

QCassidy352
Nov 14, 2005, 11:57 PM
You're gonna love it. Wonderful computer at a fantastic price. If you don't want widescreen or intel, this was the perfect time to buy.

The only way there will ever be another ibook G4 revision is if the powerbook goes intel and the ibook gets the 1.5/1.67 Ghz G4s that are in the powerbooks now. It's clear from the last powerbook revision that the G4 has finally hit the wall completely. So unless the powerbook gets intel, the ibook can't go faster or it will literally be the equal of the powerbook (it's awfully close already).

My guess is that this is the last ibook G4, and next we'll see intel processors - just not as fast as those that will go in the powerbooks. Enjoy the ibook! :)

FFTT
Nov 15, 2005, 12:13 AM
The new iBooks are fantastic!

I think you'll be more than delighted with your purchase.

seh80
Nov 15, 2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks everyone, for the reassurance.

When I got my mini, it was less than two weeks before the new ones came out, so I'm still kicking myself over it. I got a little money back, but dang, I would have rather had the better machine.

Everything sounds great with the ibook though, so I will change my worry into just excited.

Thanks again! :)

Mechcozmo
Nov 15, 2005, 06:44 PM
Word.
Actually I use TextEdit but yes, I have Word installed on my PowerBook.

When I got my mini, it was less than two weeks before the new ones came out, so I'm still kicking myself over it.

Technically, the new ones are not out yet. So stop kicking yourself!

PowerMike G5
Nov 15, 2005, 06:56 PM
Yes, enjoy the ibook. I too bought one, as I can no longer stand using my dell laptop - and I just bought it too :-/

SummerBreeze
Nov 15, 2005, 07:29 PM
Don't worry about updates, the new ones will always come out and we all just have to deal with it. I actually bought my 12" PowerBook when updates were coming soon, didn't give it a second thought. I say, if you need it, go for it.

Laser47
Nov 15, 2005, 07:40 PM
I would just like to say CONGRADULATIONS!!!
You are going to absolutely love your iBook, I love my 14"

Also be sure to savor that "Apple Smell" when you get it.

ITASOR
Nov 15, 2005, 07:43 PM
Excellent choice on the 80GB HD!!! Wish I did the same but for some reason 60 seemed like enough. Oh well, I still have 30 something GB left.

I would have gotten the RAM from crucial though, Apple overcharges.

You'll love the iBook, they're totally awesome!

leekohler
Nov 15, 2005, 07:46 PM
Good for you! Have fun, they're very addicting!

findpankaj
Nov 15, 2005, 09:23 PM
Good for you! Have fun, they're very addicting!
Just wondering, whether intel fitted Apple's will be costlier or cheaper than the current one's.
All the intel based computers are getting cheaper day by day. Will it bring down prices of macs as well?
Why can't AMD look for supporting Apple or vice versa? I don't know.
In future, will we have an option to just buy hardware and load OS of our own choice? I would love to have that happen. Not because somebody would want to switch to windows or mac OS but simply imagine the competition in rolling out the best hardware and options available for buyers. Who knows..............

jadekitty24
Nov 15, 2005, 09:32 PM
Honestly, who cares about revisions? An iBook you buy now will make you VERY happy. I have a G3 800 mhz and I LOVE it!!! You will be very happy, I can guarantee. It's a wonderful robust machine.