PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV dropping Plex

manutd27
Jul 30, 2013, 05:14 PM
Hi all

I have Plex installed and running fine, it was all working fine on my Apple TV.

I then shutdown my computer and my apple TV. The next day, I turn everything on, and it isn't working. I've had to run all the inputs in Terminal - but now it's back working again.

Is there any reason why shutting down my laptop would prevent it from working when I next turn my laptop on?!

Plutonius
Jul 30, 2013, 06:19 PM
Is it a jailbroken ATV2 with Plex or an ATV3 running Plexconnect ?

manutd27
Jul 31, 2013, 06:33 AM
Is it a jailbroken ATV2 with Plex or an ATV3 running Plexconnect ?

ATV3. The same has happened again today. For some reason shutting down my laptop stops it working. I have to go through the process of cd ... dragging the file in to terminal etc. again to get it working.

phr0ze
Jul 31, 2013, 08:17 AM
ATV3. The same has happened again today. For some reason shutting down my laptop stops it working. I have to go through the process of cd ... dragging the file in to terminal etc. again to get it working.

Unless you setup plexconnect to run at login, you will have to relaunch the app every time. Also if you didn't make your IP static (which is unlikely on a laptop) you may boot up and find it won't work at all.

manutd27
Aug 1, 2013, 03:14 AM
Unless you setup plexconnect to run at login, you will have to relaunch the app every time. Also if you didn't make your IP static (which is unlikely on a laptop) you may boot up and find it won't work at all.

Thank you, but it is neither of those issues. My IP is static and Plexconnect is running, still doesn't appear to work after a shutdown. After the computer is asleep it is fine, but a shutdown kills it.

institute
Aug 1, 2013, 09:27 AM
You realize your computer must be running for Plexconnect to work? If you shutdown your computer it will not work. When you restart your computer you need to restart Plexconnect.

manutd27
Aug 1, 2013, 06:04 PM
You realize your computer must be running for Plexconnect to work? If you shutdown your computer it will not work. When you restart your computer you need to restart Plexconnect.

Sorry, I mean once I have shutdown my computer (i.e. at the end of the day) and then turn it back on and run Plexconnect (the next morning) - it then does not work. I have to run the programme through terminal again to get it to work.

brettO5
Aug 1, 2013, 06:24 PM
Sorry, I mean once I have shutdown my computer (i.e. at the end of the day) and then turn it back on and run Plexconnect (the next morning) - it then does not work. I have to run the programme through terminal again to get it to work.

Pretty sure that's normal behaviour. It wont run at logon.

institute
Aug 1, 2013, 10:09 PM
Yes, as is, Plexconnect must be manually restarted each time you bootup your computer. There are various solutions to this varying from apple scripts, to application shells, to launchctl scripts, all depending on your operating system. I suggest checking out the Plexconnect forum on the official Plex forum and searching for solutions appropriate to your setup.

hostyostb
Aug 2, 2013, 10:28 AM
I have to run the programme through terminal again to get it to work. thank youhttp://***********/TB3K

wombat94
Aug 2, 2013, 10:42 AM
I just want to clarify for anyone reading this. I think the OP is equating Plex Media Server with PlexConnect.

PlexConnect is related to/needs Plex Media Server, but it does NOT automatically start up each time you restart your PC.

When the OP says that PlexConnect is running after a restart, I think he means that Plex Media Server is (which can be configured to start automatically).

At this time, the default installation of PlexConnect isn't configured to start automatically and must be manually started after each reboot.