Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I've come across a post or two about this in some of the general and long iOS 7 beta threads, but haven't really seen much discussion of this (unless I overlooked something) and wanted to bring it up: it seems that notifications that would come in during a call have been subdued to some degree.

Prior to iOS 7, and I believe even to beta 4, notifications that would come in while you were on a call would be fairly loud and vibrate fairly strongly (if you had vibrate enabled for them) making it a somewhat unpleasant experience when you have the phone right at your ear and trying to talk to someone, and now it seems that the notification sound is lower and vibration is much shorter and somewhat lighter too.

This issue/annoyance was something that quite a few people have posted over the years, and if Apple finally did something to deal with it (on some level at least), that's definitely something.

Anyone else noticing this?

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
I've noticed it with my phone I always figured its a bug on iOS 7, looks like its not. I think its nice that it got softer, I dont mind it as long as I know I have a notification while on the phone, Im good.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I've noticed it with my phone I always figured its a bug on iOS 7, looks like its not. I think its nice that it got softer, I dont mind it as long as I know I have a notification while on the phone, Im good.
Something new in beta 4 from what you noticed, or even in earlier betas?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
It's definitely new in beta 4. I've noticed the lower tone and very subtle vibration. This is a welcome change and I hope it makes it to the final version.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
On a related note, I wish there was an option to turn off vibration/sound while I am in the message thread and the person replies to me. I don't need a vibration/sound when I can clearly see it

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
On a related note, I wish there was an option to turn off vibration/sound while I am in the message thread and the person replies to me. I don't need a vibration/sound when I can clearly see it

Right, but what happens when you set your phone down while the screen is still on and you miss texts coming in because there's no alert? It would be cool to see alerts based on whether you're holding the phone or not and have a sensor built into the phone that can automatically switch alert modes.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Right, but what happens when you set your phone down while the screen is still on and you miss texts coming in because there's no alert? It would be cool to see alerts based on whether you're holding the phone or not and have a sensor built into the phone that can automatically switch alert modes.

true, maybe use the front proximety sensor to detect if we're looking at the phone or not. Or use the Samsung gimmick feature of pausing videos

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
true, maybe use the front proximety sensor to detect if we're looking at the phone or not. Or use the Samsung gimmick feature of pausing videos

That's one thing I believe Apple does better than anybody else: implement new features when they're pretty solid rather than throwing things into a phone half baked.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
That's one thing I believe Apple does better than anybody else: implement new features when they're pretty solid rather than throwing things into a phone half baked.
You have to admit though that implementing a fairly straightforward and essentially basic feature like turning down the duration and intensity of an alert sound/vibration in a call took Apple way too long to implement.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
You have to admit though that implementing a fairly straightforward and essentially basic feature like turning down the duration and intensity of an alert sound/vibration in a call took Apple way too long to implement.

But it looks like they nailed it. ;)
And as far as I can tell nobody else is doing anything close to what we're seeing in beta 4 with alerts while on a call. There might be more to it than meets the eye.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.