PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Macbook air now?

simplejack1122
Jul 31, 2013, 09:13 PM
I am looking into buying a laptop, mainly for web browsing and school projects, not gaming(maybe minecraft).I am going to be a senior this upcoming school year and would like to have a laptop but can wait if needed. I haven't made a decision yet, but I am leaning towards a Macbook Air. My question is if I decide to get a macbook, is now the time to buy one, or should I wait a year and get the 2014 version before leaving for college. Are there going to be major improvements in the next Macbook? retina display? This laptop would probably need to last through 4 years of college so is waiting a better idea?

bambooshots
Jul 31, 2013, 09:23 PM
I am looking into buying a laptop, mainly for web browsing and school projects, not gaming(maybe minecraft).I am going to be a senior this upcoming school year and would like to have a laptop but can wait if needed. I haven't made a decision yet, but I am leaning towards a Macbook Air. My question is if I decide to get a macbook, is now the time to buy one, or should I wait a year and get the 2014 version before leaving for college. Are there going to be major improvements in the next Macbook? retina display? This laptop would probably need to last through 4 years of college so is waiting a better idea?

If you want to use it though college and are a high school senior now, it would probably be more prudent to wait until next year, waiting for another refresh, as the current MBA just went though a refresh, and buy the MBA right before your freshman year.

throAU
Jul 31, 2013, 09:27 PM
It depends.

Do you need a macbook air now?

Suraj R.
Jul 31, 2013, 09:31 PM

The Air will do (more) than what you need it to. If the 2014 version really has something special, do what I'm planning on doing and sell your 2013 when the new one comes out for a few hundred dollars loss. Nobody wants to wait.

simplejack1122
Jul 31, 2013, 09:36 PM
It depends.

Do you need a macbook air now?

not necessarily, I would like to get one now but I can wait.

----------

The Air will do (more) than what you need it to. If the 2014 version really has something special, do what I'm planning on doing and sell your 2013 when the new one comes out for a few hundred dollars loss. Nobody wants to wait.

Are there any rumors about it having something special?

Frost17
Jul 31, 2013, 10:57 PM
Since you don't need it now I would wait. There are always spec bumps with each model year, but anything Ivy Bridge and up is still going to fly for what you want to use it for.

BruiserBear
Jul 31, 2013, 11:03 PM
Most people on forums like this tend to be obsessed with power and the latest specs. For the things you mentioned doing with your new laptop, I can't think of a reason you should wait.

The current Air can easily do everything you mentioned.

s15119
Jul 31, 2013, 11:13 PM
Buy it now. You'll be so happy. It's the best computer I've ever used and I've had several in my house since the Commodore 64 days.

throAU
Aug 1, 2013, 12:24 AM
not necessarily, I would like to get one now but I can wait.

----------

Are there any rumors about it having something special?

Then wait.

Hardware gets cheaper, warranty will be more current for the period you need it, the world could end, plans may change, etc.

Why waste X months of warranty you don't need, and have warranty run out during the period you DO need it?

In terms of what apple have in the pipeline - 2014 should see Broadwell, thunderbolt 2 in the MBA and maybe a retina display by then too.

crackbookpro
Aug 1, 2013, 12:37 AM
Next big update will probably be just another kick in better battery life due to mainly OS enhancements/functionalities of the battery usage. Possibly better screen, but I don't see a huge change coming or none at all really.

Maybe better RAM... most who choose to wait for the next refresh is just for the upgrade in CPU.

I personally think the MBA is sick... buy now or buy in the next refresh maybe this fall/winter, but if you want it now, I'd buy it now.

My 11'' which is 3yrs old, is an absolute portable beast. I want the new one, but I am waiting for the next processors just like some of the other waiters.

kodeman53
Aug 1, 2013, 02:46 AM
This laptop would probably need to last through 4 years of college so is waiting a better idea?

Yes.

throAU
Aug 1, 2013, 02:50 AM
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying don't buy one now because it will be obsolete, just that buying stuff you don't need, or buying stuff well before you need it just doesn't make sense financially.

There will always be something new around the corner, unless you're RIGHT at the end of the model life, no sense in waiting for the new model. And sometimes, new models have problems... if you were going to wait, i'd be waiting until say 2-3 months after the new model (for all the issues to be discovered and ironed out), rather than ordering on day 1, etc :D

Sputnek
Aug 1, 2013, 03:03 AM
If you're a high school senior starting college next year, another option instead of purchasing a new MBA next year is to purchase a refurbished refreshed Fall 2013 MBP (the one that is speculated for later this year). It will save you a few bucks which every dollar counts in college (trust me), and should *really hate to use this phrase* "future-proof" you for a bit.

That way if you change majors say from Premed to Computer Science to Business to Engineering you can upload bootcamp on the MBP and run windows for your eng programs with no problems. I am not all too familiar of the MBA's performance with bootcamp with high demand engineering programs, but you'll probably need an optical drive sometime in your academic career. Just throwing out variables just incase. Either decision you make, to jump the gun now and purchase a MBA, or to hold off is all good at the end of the day.

troutspinner
Aug 1, 2013, 01:15 PM
That is why I love the buyers guide available here at MacRumors. The Air averages a 340 day release between updates. Since you are a year away from needing it, don't buy now. Buy the newer model when you need it.

Brandon0448
Aug 1, 2013, 08:44 PM
The Airs were just refreshed, go get one now. I don't see why people always obsess over having the latest and greatest machine. Yeah I will wait a couple months if a refresh is on its way but the new Airs literally just came out and they are amazing.

I have a 2011 Air and I still love it, it is amazingly fast. The only reason I have even contemplated upgrading is because of the amazing battery life of the new ones. But I really don't find myself working my battery down that low while I'm away from a charger anyways.

Plus don't worry, any mac you get WILL last you more than four years. My girlfriend is still using an early 2008 MacBook and it does everything a college student needs to do. As long as that doesn't include playing the latest and greatest games.

Binarymix
Aug 1, 2013, 09:21 PM
I was going to wait until september when school starts, but when FutureShop put the base model 13" on for $100 off I jumped in :D