PDA

View Full Version : Haswell MBA lag

garagethrash
Aug 1, 2013, 04:03 AM
Anyone else have horrible lag/choppiness when scrolling and zooming in safari/preview/etc? Mavericks is better but it's still horrible compared to my 2012 MBP. The more complex the content the worse it gets. The HD5000 drivers seem way underdone. I get corruption over the bookmark bar in safari sometimes too. On a side note my trackpad makes annoying noises sometimes too though at this stage it isn't impacting it's functionality. And my last two iPhones have needed the home button replaced. Apple needs to remind themselves of why many people have grown to love the company; because their products "just work". Sadly this isn't the case for me lately.

Appledreamer
Aug 2, 2013, 04:31 PM
Anyone else have horrible lag/choppiness when scrolling and zooming in safari/preview/etc? Mavericks is better but it's still horrible compared to my 2012 MBP. The more complex the content the worse it gets. The HD5000 drivers seem way underdone. I get corruption over the bookmark bar in safari sometimes too. On a side note my trackpad makes annoying noises sometimes too though at this stage it isn't impacting it's functionality. And my last two iPhones have needed the home button replaced. Apple needs to remind themselves of why many people have grown to love the company; because their products "just work". Sadly this isn't the case for me lately.

i think you should get a replacement

DisplacedMic
Aug 3, 2013, 07:09 AM

maybe it's time to go buy a windows machine so that you can remind yourself why you prefer Apple products in the first place?:p:D

Seriously though, i would take it in to the store and see what they say- clearly there's something not quite right here. Did you play with the air before you bought it? it doesn't scroll quite as smoothly as some of the other computers, but if what you are describing is worse than it should be then there's obviously something wrong. Take it in.

garagethrash
Aug 3, 2013, 07:32 AM
maybe it's time to go buy a windows machine so that you can remind yourself why you prefer Apple products in the first place?:p:D

Seriously though, i would take it in to the store and see what they say- clearly there's something not quite right here. Did you play with the air before you bought it? it doesn't scroll quite as smoothly as some of the other computers, but if what you are describing is worse than it should be then there's obviously something wrong. Take it in.

Yeah i'll have to go to the shops and play around with a few others. Scrolling in safari is fine most of the time, but it can get pretty bad with more complex sites. And if you zoom in to a site like The Verge and then scroll it can get a bit choppy as the new areas load in. It's most obvious though with a big pdf in preview and zooming in and then scrolling. Seems to be a few others talking about it on the net but not as much as the rMBP lag complaints.

And yeah, i don't think windows even has smooth scrolling sys wide yet does it? that would be a nightmare for me after using OS X for so long

kahkityoong
Aug 3, 2013, 08:37 AM
No

DisplacedMic
Aug 3, 2013, 11:54 AM
Yeah i'll have to go to the shops and play around with a few others. Scrolling in safari is fine most of the time, but it can get pretty bad with more complex sites. And if you zoom in to a site like The Verge and then scroll it can get a bit choppy as the new areas load in. It's most obvious though with a big pdf in preview and zooming in and then scrolling. Seems to be a few others talking about it on the net but not as much as the rMBP lag complaints.

And yeah, i don't think windows even has smooth scrolling sys wide yet does it? that would be a nightmare for me after using OS X for so long

good luck man, sounds like a fixable problem!

travod
Aug 3, 2013, 12:01 PM
I get scrolling problems only if I've double tapped to zoom in on Facebook. It gets really choppy.

Haseo
Aug 3, 2013, 12:09 PM
For what it's worth, I went to the Apple store yesterday to compare the 13' mba and 13' rmbp.

I will have to say I was very dissapointed with the air. I really do want to like the air as it is so light and thin, but the design looks very outdated to me and the screen looks very dull in comparison. :(

The thing that irked me the most, however, was I noticed some choppiness / lag even while scrolling the cursor through icons in the dock! I don't know if this is specific to haswell models due to the lower-clocked processors, but in comparison to the butter-smooth mbp, the scrolling on the air looked really bad to me! So sad :apple:

Ronnoco
Aug 3, 2013, 12:12 PM
No scrolling lag with mine.

hkim1983
Aug 4, 2013, 12:08 AM
For what it's worth, I went to the Apple store yesterday to compare the 13' mba and 13' rmbp.

I will have to say I was very dissapointed with the air. I really do want to like the air as it is so light and thin, but the design looks very outdated to me and the screen looks very dull in comparison. :(

The thing that irked me the most, however, was I noticed some choppiness / lag even while scrolling the cursor through icons in the dock! I don't know if this is specific to haswell models due to the lower-clocked processors, but in comparison to the butter-smooth mbp, the scrolling on the air looked really bad to me! So sad :apple:

To be fair, I've noticed scrolling "lag" on my MBP as well as my Air, and it's been like this to varying degrees since Lion for me (Snow Leopard was pretty smooth). It doesn't really bother me though, and doesn't impact my productivity at all, although it does look a little silly and unprofessional I suppose.

JollyJoeJoe
Aug 4, 2013, 12:30 AM
Not on my air, but I only had it for a couple of days. On the MacBook Pro 15" retina the lag was beyond bearable on graphics/js intensive websites and when you have several of them in tabs. Probably the video card not being able to handle the high res needs.

yokied
Aug 4, 2013, 06:01 AM
I'm an ******* when it comes to lag. Genuinely, i7 8gb, not even a hint, in over a month of fairly solid use.

garagethrash
Aug 4, 2013, 07:42 AM
I'm an ******* when it comes to lag. Genuinely, i7 8gb, not even a hint, in over a month of fairly solid use.

I know some people don't notice subtle things like this though. I went around my cousins house one time and he was playing crysis maxed on his PC and it looked like a slideshow and he wasn't phased at all by it. It does seem that hardly anyone has this mba lag though. if it's the low cpu clock or the new hd5000 i don't really care, i just hope they fix it with software.

DisplacedMic
Aug 4, 2013, 08:17 AM
I know some people don't notice subtle things like this though. I went around my cousins house one time and he was playing crysis maxed on his PC and it looked like a slideshow and he wasn't phased at all by it. It does seem that hardly anyone has this mba lag though. if it's the low cpu clock or the new hd5000 i don't really care, i just hope they fix it with software.

the trick there is to time your blinking just right.:D