PDA

View Full Version : AAC to MP3 quality.

SinkOrSwim
Aug 1, 2013, 04:05 AM
Duplicating AAC file then converting the duplicate to MP3. So I can squeeze more songs on my iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. What do you guys think? Pros and cons about it and such.

Julien
Aug 1, 2013, 04:54 AM
There are NO pros and only cons when it comes to SQ. Lossy to lossy is a double bad idea for SQ.

steve-p
Aug 1, 2013, 06:23 AM
Duplicating AAC file then converting the duplicate to MP3. So I can squeeze more songs on my iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. What do you guys think? Pros and cons about it and such.
Just set iTunes to automatically reduce bitrate for music it syncs to each of those devices, if you don't mind the quality reduction anyhow. AAC is generally thought to be better than mp3 at lower bitrates. I find 128kbps AAC is fine in the car, not so much when using headphones though. Doing it in iTunes makes it simple and does not require duplicate copies of files (although the first sync is a bit slower as it converts when it syncs).

ChrisA
Aug 1, 2013, 02:04 PM

At equal bit rates AAC is better than MP3. If you need to save space tell iTunes to reduce the bit rate of the AAC files when it downloads the music. It's all automated after you set it up.

SinkOrSwim
Aug 2, 2013, 04:19 AM
All my music in iTunes is in 256 AAC. The thing is, I want to have 2 separate music folders, not in iTunes though. I want all my AAC to be stored in an external hard drive, a back-up. Then have an mp3 version of the AAC on my computer in iTunes to be synced in all my iDevices. So from there, would I lose any quality from the AAC files when I duplicate and converted to mp3? Can I tell the difference of quality?

chabig
Aug 2, 2013, 05:03 AM
You're confused if you think MP3 files are smaller than AAC files. They are the same size at the same bit rate. In other words a 256kbps MP3 file is exactly the same size as a 256K AAC file, but the AAC file will sound better. The same is true at any bit rate, including 128kbps. It would be silly and unproductive to convert all of your music to MP3.

Just follow the advice in the duplicate thread you created (not a good idea, by the way). Check the iTunes preference to downconvert when syncing to your devices.