Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Ever since iOS includes folders, you notice that folders don't close after you launch an app. Also in iOS 7 when you open an folder, it takes entire screen. It kind makes sense on iPhone and iPod Touch, but it does not make any sense on iPad... After you go back to the screen, you will see that folder still opening and occupying he whole screen. It take you an extra step to close the folder, then you can open new apps.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Ever since iOS includes folders, you notice that folders don't close after you launch an app. Also in iOS 7 when you open an folder, it takes entire screen. It kind makes sense on iPhone and iPod Touch, but it does not make any sense on iPad... After you go back to the screen, you will see that folder still opening and occupying he whole screen. It take you an extra step to close the folder, then you can open new apps.

And this is why I haven't used a folder in my dock since they included it to begin with..

Still, I really wish they would change the behavior. I'm sure some will disagree, though.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
They could fix this but what if you go into a app and back and another app? You would have to tap the folder again, so no fix for both ways.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
I hope they leave it the way it is. I have several related apps that I use every day, one-after-the-other. They're all in a single folder. I'd hate to have to keep opening that folder to get to the next app.

Besides, visually, it makes sense the way it is now. You zoom into the folder, you zoom into the app in the folder. Zooming back out, you should zoom out one level, which is back to the folder. From there you can either open another app in that folder, or zoom out again to the home page.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I'm only noticing since updating to Beta 4 my ringtone has reverted back to Marimba as the default and my purchased ringtones are not showing up

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
I hope they leave it the way it is. I have several related apps that I use every day, one-after-the-other. They're all in a single folder. I'd hate to have to keep opening that folder to get to the next app.

Besides, visually, it makes sense the way it is now. You zoom into the folder, you zoom into the app in the folder. Zooming back out, you should zoom out one level, which is back to the folder. From there you can either open another app in that folder, or zoom out again to the home page.

For me, all my frequent use app are in first and second page, where I put all Apple apps (like reminder, notes, maps etc) in one folder. I only out infrequent app or games into folders.

Also, you only get 9 apps per page, so it doesn't really need to occupying whole screen, it just feel very weird to me. I like how folders in pervious iOS, folder just occupying portion of he screen. This feel much more natural to me.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
For me, all my frequent use app are in first and second page, where I put all Apple apps (like reminder, notes, maps etc) in one folder. I only out infrequent app or games into folders.

Also, you only get 9 apps per page, so it doesn't really need to occupying whole screen, it just feel very weird to me. I like how folders in pervious iOS, folder just occupying portion of he screen. This feel much more natural to me.

To each his own, I guess. I like the effect of zooming in on the folder. Seems more "natural" than tapping on a box and having it open a drawer. Of course, the new folders display fewer icons, and that's too bad, but I think that's more than made up for by the fact that folders can how have multiple pages.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

This is one of the things I always disliked about iOS. There was a jailbreak tweak that specifically closed the folder when you launched an app in it. Loved that tweak.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
One of the things I miss from jailbreaking. I really wish it would close by itself.

To whoever thinks "what if you need an app from the same folder? Then you have to open the folder again" that may be true, but that would be maybe 1 out of 20 times I actually need that option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.