Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The American Customer Satisfaction Index (ASCI) yesterday released its annual rankings for smartphone satisfaction in the United States (via CNET). While Apple once again scored above 80% in customer satisfaction for its current iPhone line, the survey also revealed that Samsung's Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note II phones have taken the top two spots with both having scores of 84% in customer satisfaction.

acsi-cust-sat-smartphones.jpg
"Not only does Samsung edge ahead of all iPhones, Apple customers themselves don't see much difference between the iPhone 4, 4S, or 5," ACSI director David VanAmburg said in a statement. "The latest earnings report from Apple was better than expected, but the name of the game for Apple has always been innovation. Samsung, on the other hand, shows a strong upward ACSI trend from the Galaxy S II to the Galaxy S III. If the S4 performs as well -- or even better -- in the eyes of customers, Samsung could threaten Apple's dominance in overall customer satisfaction."
Earlier this year, the ASCI also released its annual rankings of customer satisfaction for the broader segment of mobile phone manufacturers in the United States. While Apple had the highest customer service satisfaction for the second year in a row, its score fell from 83% to 81% compared to the year before. Concurrently, Samsung had a satisfaction score of 76%, up from 71% the year before. Apple is expected to refresh the iPhone line in the fall, with the expected launches of the iPhone 5S and low-cost iPhone, potentially named the iPhone 5C.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Topped by Galaxy S3 in Latest Customer Satisfaction Survey

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Apple needs to step up their game. They need to lead the market, not become lost in it by rehashing the same devices.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
I had both phones at one point and the S3 really was a nice phone. I was selling it to a friend so didn't keep it, but it performed really nice.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
100% of users preferred the phone they prefer! Who cares if others like a Motorola Startac, if I'm happy with my phone?

The "defenders" (said with disdain) on both side of the fence need to realize that it's just a ****ing phone and get on with their lives!

Last edited:

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
Nice to see Samsung fixed all the crazy Force Close errors I got on my original Galaxy.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Hardly surprising.

When it comes to innovation Apple is a joke

You are a joke. Yet another paid samsung troll.

Completely rigged... You ever tried to get a Samsung Device fixed.

And where is the sample data!? It's all bull.

I just did a survey about surveys. 100% think they are always skewed and rubbish.... And the sample number was 1. Me. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Last edited:

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
Hardly surprising.

This!

Innovation -
n.
1. The act of introducing something new.
2. Something newly introduced.

They refine and perfect existing products and ideas... Which is notable. But it's been a long time since they have come up with something new and innovative.
I'm so ready for something new from them in their phone. I have yet to use it but I don't think ios7 will cut it for me.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
When I look at it, it seems to me that lots of people like Galaxy phones and iPhones
A few points here and there don't seem to indicate a lot to me at all
Just shows that there are some good phones out there and even the 4 and 4s are still well liked

I have an S3 I never use, it is my work phone
I have it forwarded to my iPhone 5

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Uh oh.

It's not really news that there isn't much of a difference from the 4, 4s, 5 but it is a surprise that customer satisfaction has slipped.

Even though the amount innovative changes have declined on recent iphones I've found that the quality, simplicity and ease of use would keep its customer base happy?

In all honestly useful innovative functions for smart phone seem to have peaked and Android and Apple are both great platforms just comes down to personal preference and how much the walled garden of the ios ecosystem hampers your experience.

Last edited:

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Every time I try to switch I remember something new that i'll lose from leaving the apple ecosystem. Things like iTunes Match, iMessage, iCloud, all my apps, shared photostreams, and FaceTime just to name a few. These rankings don't matter to me because iPhone feels like home, and I think many people would agree.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Hardly surprising.

Yup the company that popularized computers (no one bought pcs before the Apple II at least not in droves), smartphones (all the ones before the iphone were very limited in what they could do and were more or less corporate devices), tablets (hah market didn't even exist until the iPad), music(whole pay for industry was essentially dying before itunes store and of course ipod).

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You are a joke. Yet another paid samsung troll.

I just did a survey about surveys. 100% think they are always skewed and rubbish.... And the sample number was 1. Me. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

His potential trolling pales in comparison to your rant.

At the end of the day - the best device is the one you like using most.

I am sure by the end of today, this thread will be riddled with posts condemning the survey (because clearly any survey that doesn't put Apple in the lead is wrong, paid-for, etc) and/or turn into some Samsung (Android) vs Apple (iOS) pissing contest.

Don't we have enough threads like that already? :rolleyes:

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
"Apple customers themselves don't see much difference between the iPhone 4, 4S, or 5"

+1. Apple needs to do a better job differentiating the products in the iPhone line. Maybe this will happen when the 5S and 5C are released.

bpp85

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Europe
Every time I try to switch I remember something new that i'll lose from leaving the apple ecosystem. Things like iTunes Match, iMessage, iCloud, all my apps, shared photostreams, and FaceTime just to name a few. These rankings don't matter to me because iPhone feels like home, and I think many people would agree.

I agree, i was tempted to try the s4 but i don't want to lose the things you just listed, it is iHome for me haha

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
It seems to me that data show that Samsung users are not using their phones for much beyond calling people.

Not hard to be satisfied if you don't ask much of the product.

I, too, have both phones because of a work situation. iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3, that is.

S3 is not a bad phone, but the UI is clunky IMHO and the battery life is TERRIBLE. iPhone is AT&T and S3 is Verizon; so S3 has a huge load of Verizon crapware; maybe that's the problem.

Anyway I think iPhone is a better choice. I admire the Apple build quality as well; the plastic S3 is tacky.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Taking apart the obvious troll, why that survey was praised last years?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It seems to me that data show that Samsung users are not using their phones for much beyond calling people.

Source?

100% of users preferred the phone they prefer! Who cares if others like a Motorola Startac, if I'm happy with my phone?

The "defenders" (said with disdain) on both side of the fence need to realize that it's just a ****ing phone and get one with their lives!

This

Rigged survey by Samsung paid shills. Shame on MR for posting this.

Do you people really think this nonsense you write?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.