PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 Topped by Galaxy S3 in Latest Customer Satisfaction Survey

MacRumors
Aug 1, 2013, 09:35 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/01/iphone-5-topped-by-galaxy-s3-in-latest-customer-satisfaction-survey/)

The American Customer Satisfaction Index (ASCI) yesterday released (http://www.theacsi.org/media-resources/press-release-smartphone-brands-2013) its annual rankings for smartphone satisfaction in the United States (via CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57596277-94/samsung-galaxy-s3-tops-iphone-in-smartphone-satisfaction-poll/)). While Apple once again scored above 80% in customer satisfaction for its current iPhone line, the survey also revealed that Samsung's Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note II phones have taken the top two spots with both having scores of 84% in customer satisfaction.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/acsi-cust-sat-smartphones.jpg"Not only does Samsung edge ahead of all iPhones, Apple customers themselves don't see much difference between the iPhone 4, 4S, or 5," ACSI director David VanAmburg said in a statement. "The latest earnings report from Apple was better than expected, but the name of the game for Apple has always been innovation. Samsung, on the other hand, shows a strong upward ACSI trend from the Galaxy S II to the Galaxy S III. If the S4 performs as well -- or even better -- in the eyes of customers, Samsung could threaten Apple's dominance in overall customer satisfaction." Earlier this year, the ASCI also released (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/21/apple-still-tops-in-cellphone-customer-satisfaction-but-losing-ground-to-samsung-and-others/) its annual rankings of customer satisfaction for the broader segment of mobile phone manufacturers in the United States. While Apple had the highest customer service satisfaction for the second year in a row, its score fell from 83% to 81% compared to the year before. Concurrently, Samsung had a satisfaction score of 76%, up from 71% the year before. Apple is expected to refresh the iPhone line in the fall, with the expected launches of the iPhone 5S (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/16/iphone-5s-production-will-reportedly-begin-later-this-month/) and low-cost iPhone, potentially named (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/28/photo-of-plastic-packaging-with-iphone-5c-name-surfaces/) the iPhone 5C.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Topped by Galaxy S3 in Latest Customer Satisfaction Survey (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/01/iphone-5-topped-by-galaxy-s3-in-latest-customer-satisfaction-survey/)

SamGabbay
Aug 1, 2013, 09:43 AM
Apple needs to step up their game. They need to lead the market, not become lost in it by rehashing the same devices.

soulreaver99
Aug 1, 2013, 09:43 AM
Did samsung also rig this survey? ;)

rocoloco
Aug 1, 2013, 09:44 AM
yeah, but iphone 5 feels so much better

frayne182
Aug 1, 2013, 09:45 AM
I had both phones at one point and the S3 really was a nice phone. I was selling it to a friend so didn't keep it, but it performed really nice.

GenesisST
Aug 1, 2013, 09:47 AM
100% of users preferred the phone they prefer! Who cares if others like a Motorola Startac, if I'm happy with my phone?

The "defenders" (said with disdain) on both side of the fence need to realize that it's just a ****ing phone and get on with their lives!

blahbrah
Nice to see Samsung fixed all the crazy Force Close errors I got on my original Galaxy.

ayala421
Hardly surprising.

When it comes to innovation Apple is a joke

It's pretty sad that some Android geek creates a username on this site just to post nonsense..."macrumors newbie" :apple:

prowlmedia
Hardly surprising.

You are a joke. Yet another paid samsung troll.

Completely rigged... You ever tried to get a Samsung Device fixed.

And where is the sample data!? It's all bull.

I just did a survey about surveys. 100% think they are always skewed and rubbish.... And the sample number was 1. Me. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

likemyorbs
Well would ya look at that? JUST LOOK AT IT!

dlastmango
Aug 1, 2013, 09:48 AM
Hardly surprising.

This!

Innovation -
n.
1. The act of introducing something new.
2. Something newly introduced.

They refine and perfect existing products and ideas... Which is notable. But it's been a long time since they have come up with something new and innovative.
I'm so ready for something new from them in their phone. I have yet to use it but I don't think ios7 will cut it for me.

boshii
Aug 1, 2013, 09:50 AM
3 out of the top 5 ain't bad.

MacDawg
Aug 1, 2013, 09:52 AM
When I look at it, it seems to me that lots of people like Galaxy phones and iPhones
A few points here and there don't seem to indicate a lot to me at all
Just shows that there are some good phones out there and even the 4 and 4s are still well liked

I have an S3 I never use, it is my work phone
I have it forwarded to my iPhone 5

JGIGS
Aug 1, 2013, 09:54 AM
Uh oh.

It's not really news that there isn't much of a difference from the 4, 4s, 5 but it is a surprise that customer satisfaction has slipped.

Even though the amount innovative changes have declined on recent iphones I've found that the quality, simplicity and ease of use would keep its customer base happy?

In all honestly useful innovative functions for smart phone seem to have peaked and Android and Apple are both great platforms just comes down to personal preference and how much the walled garden of the ios ecosystem hampers your experience.

Mjmar
Aug 1, 2013, 09:55 AM
Every time I try to switch I remember something new that i'll lose from leaving the apple ecosystem. Things like iTunes Match, iMessage, iCloud, all my apps, shared photostreams, and FaceTime just to name a few. These rankings don't matter to me because iPhone feels like home, and I think many people would agree.

appleisking
Aug 1, 2013, 09:58 AM
Hardly surprising.

Yup the company that popularized computers (no one bought pcs before the Apple II at least not in droves), smartphones (all the ones before the iphone were very limited in what they could do and were more or less corporate devices), tablets (hah market didn't even exist until the iPad), music(whole pay for industry was essentially dying before itunes store and of course ipod).

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 10:00 AM

I just did a survey about surveys. 100% think they are always skewed and rubbish.... And the sample number was 1. Me. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

His potential trolling pales in comparison to your rant.

At the end of the day - the best device is the one you like using most.

I am sure by the end of today, this thread will be riddled with posts condemning the survey (because clearly any survey that doesn't put Apple in the lead is wrong, paid-for, etc) and/or turn into some Samsung (Android) vs Apple (iOS) pissing contest.

Don't we have enough threads like that already? :rolleyes:

Elbon
Aug 1, 2013, 10:02 AM
"Apple customers themselves don't see much difference between the iPhone 4, 4S, or 5"

+1. Apple needs to do a better job differentiating the products in the iPhone line. Maybe this will happen when the 5S and 5C are released.

bpp85
Aug 1, 2013, 10:02 AM
Every time I try to switch I remember something new that i'll lose from leaving the apple ecosystem. Things like iTunes Match, iMessage, iCloud, all my apps, shared photostreams, and FaceTime just to name a few. These rankings don't matter to me because iPhone feels like home, and I think many people would agree.

I agree, i was tempted to try the s4 but i don't want to lose the things you just listed, it is iHome for me haha

Orlandoech.com
Aug 1, 2013, 10:05 AM
Hardly surprising.

Completely agree and so many fan boys here will try to argue why apple is better until they die.

paulsdenton
Aug 1, 2013, 10:07 AM
It seems to me that data show that Samsung users are not using their phones for much beyond calling people.

Not hard to be satisfied if you don't ask much of the product.

I, too, have both phones because of a work situation. iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3, that is.

S3 is not a bad phone, but the UI is clunky IMHO and the battery life is TERRIBLE. iPhone is AT&T and S3 is Verizon; so S3 has a huge load of Verizon crapware; maybe that's the problem.

Anyway I think iPhone is a better choice. I admire the Apple build quality as well; the plastic S3 is tacky.

Oletros
Aug 1, 2013, 10:09 AM

Taking apart the obvious troll, why that survey was praised last years?

Juan007
Aug 1, 2013, 10:10 AM
Rigged survey by Samsung paid shills. Shame on MR for posting this.

Oletros
Aug 1, 2013, 10:10 AM
It seems to me that data show that Samsung users are not using their phones for much beyond calling people.

Source?

100% of users preferred the phone they prefer! Who cares if others like a Motorola Startac, if I'm happy with my phone?

The "defenders" (said with disdain) on both side of the fence need to realize that it's just a ****ing phone and get one with their lives!

This

Do you people really think this nonsense you write?

Orlandoech.com
Aug 1, 2013, 10:11 AM
His potential trolling pales in comparison to your rant.

:rolleyes:

Haha. Couldn't agree more. So many people get so upset in these threads. Sad really.

farohnatt
Aug 1, 2013, 10:13 AM
Completely agree and so many fan boys here will try to argue why apple is better until they die.

Like you did with your andriod phone?? Lil

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 10:13 AM

And your source - other than wishful thinking - would be?

Wuiffi
Aug 1, 2013, 10:15 AM
I think Samsung makes some awesome hardware, but when you read that they pay students to trash talk competitors and that the Galaxy S4 "features" a benchmarkbooster it makes you think how much money they spent on "PR"

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 10:18 AM
I think Samsung makes some awesome hardware, but when you read that they pay students to trash talk competitors and that the Galaxy S4 "features" a benchmarkbooster it makes you think how much money they spent on "PR"

Allegedly...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/30/samsung-benchmarks/

Read the updates.

Personally - who cares. I don't think most people buy phones based on benchmarks but rather other things like features, ecosystem, price, etc.

I know I didn't buy my iPhones and my Skyrocket because of any silly benchmarks.

But ultimately - this is off topic. This survey was certainly legit last year on this forum when Apple was in the lead. Reminds me a lot of the whole Customer Reports "issue"

appleisking
Aug 1, 2013, 10:20 AM

If you're gonna laugh at Apple for not innovating, how is samsung any better? For the love of they even shrunk the bezels on the galaxy tab after the ipad mini was released. Yea real innovative.

antonis
Aug 1, 2013, 10:25 AM
If anyone thinks that Apple is going to be shocked and change their strategy because of a survey, then he/she doesn't know Apple. If they did that, they wouldn't be Apple at first place, anyway.

jm001
Aug 1, 2013, 10:27 AM
The fact that Apple still has 3 of the top 5 spots speaks for itself with how popular their devices still are. As well only 2 points separate Apple from Samsung and Android trolls keep talking about screen size, screen size, ad nauseum. The iPhone 4 was only 3 points off! C'mon that's a 3 year old phone vs. a 1 year old phone and it was only 3 points off? That tells me that a lot of the features that Galaxy S3 and the Note II have weren't really that much of a deal breaker to make people switch.

I'm not sure of those who are complaining about iOS 7 have extensively used it over this past month, but dismissing it already shows that maybe they haven't really used it. I have used it up to beta 3 and I feel it really is a step in the right direction. It's a good version to start building upon.

In the end competition makes products stronger and consumers satisfied. We certainly don't want one company dominating all the time. Google may have a say if Samsung starts to dictate the direction of Android. They're (Samsung) also invested in another mobile OS so it'll be interesting to see the evolution of the mobile device OSes.

joachimnb
Aug 1, 2013, 10:37 AM
Not a surprise as people like bigger screens for a touchdevice. Obviously some people still think that 3.5 and 4 inch is the best, but many are really getting tired of Apple not releasing a 4.7-5 inch phone. I absolutely do not get it if Apple does not release a bigger screen in september. But unfortunately I think they won't. Getting rejst to find a Samsung to replace my iPhone 5 if nothing happens. I do not want their gimmicks, but I do want a bigger screen plus rounded back.

VanillaCracker
Aug 1, 2013, 10:41 AM
The fact that Apple still has 3 of the top 5 spots speaks for itself with how popular their devices still are. As well only 2 points separate Apple from Samsung and Android trolls keep talking about screen size, screen size, ad nauseum. The iPhone 4 was only 3 points off! C'mon that's a 3 year old phone.

Or it shows how little apple has changed the iPhone in the last 3 years worth of their phones :rolleyes:

Non biased comment: Although if you look at it, neither has samsung. Besides consistently bigger screens, and consistent camera bumps (I still think the iPhone's camera is better anyway).

.Asa
Aug 1, 2013, 10:43 AM

LOL...
If the iPhone isn't #1, it's rigged.

BC2009
Aug 1, 2013, 10:50 AM
Let me know when JDPower is reporting something like this and not some random analyst....

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/skitched-20130321-110822.jpg

----------

Did samsung also rig this survey? ;)

I'm sure they reposted it on Twitter (http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/26/apple-samsung-twitter-spam/) through a load of fake Twitter accounts. Just check out this beautiful Samsung employees:

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/twitter-babes.png?w=346&h=356

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 10:54 AM
I'm sure they reposted it on Twitter (http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/26/apple-samsung-twitter-spam/) through a load of fake Twitter accounts. Just check out this beautiful Samsung employees:

Image (http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/twitter-babes.png?w=346&h=356)

Did you read the entire article you linked?

UPDATE: Dr. Soneira did the research I should have done and concluded that Samsung PR is probably blameless on this one:

"How many total tweets are we talking about? Looks like a small fraction of the total. There are over 600 tweets regarding my article, plus Google shows about 6,000 articles and blog hits covering the article. So these tweets that you mention are insignificant from my perspective.

"I looked up the tweets that you referenced ... and they all point to phonearena.com, so it is rather obvious that they are the ones arranging the tweets to generate traffic to their site. You also referenced gsmarena.com. Both of these "arena" websites sell Smartphones, so it is again obvious that they are driving traffic to their websites to sell Smartphones and they write short blog pieces (covering articles like mine) to help them do so. That is the source, not what you speculated..."

uknowimright
Aug 1, 2013, 11:09 AM

UPDATE: Dr. Soneira did the research I should have done and concluded that Samsung PR is probably blameless on this one:

"How many total tweets are we talking about? Looks like a small fraction of the total. There are over 600 tweets regarding my article, plus Google shows about 6,000 articles and blog hits covering the article. So these tweets that you mention are insignificant from my perspective.

"I looked up the tweets that you referenced ... and they all point to phonearena.com, so it is rather obvious that they are the ones arranging the tweets to generate traffic to their site. You also referenced gsmarena.com. Both of these "arena" websites sell Smartphones, so it is again obvious that they are driving traffic to their websites to sell Smartphones and they write short blog pieces (covering articles like mine) to help them do so. That is the source, not what you speculated..."

gotta defend that Apple honor no matter what

ProjectedLight
Aug 1, 2013, 11:09 AM
I was curious to know how people felt about their high end Samsung devices. They seem to really like them. Tim Cook won't be happy about this... He be lovin' his Customer Sat numbers.

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 11:12 AM
gotta defend that Apple honor no matter what

I fail to see why some people can't just be happy with what they have without condemning everything else they don't have or don't want.

Enjoy what you have/like/use. The amount of energy used to "destroy the enemy" is absurd.

Chub
Aug 1, 2013, 11:13 AM

I wouldn't say this is rigged considering the results are so close together, and with that attitude surely anything could be rigged. Either way both phones are great and in terms of getting a Samsung phone repaired it is a lot easier to access the internal components. Ever tried changing a battery on your iPhone 5?

Oletros
Aug 1, 2013, 11:17 AM

Doesn't look Philip Elmer DeWitt and other writers / bloggers look more defensive since some time ago?

G4DP
Aug 1, 2013, 11:20 AM
If you're gonna laugh at Apple for not innovating, how is samsung any better? For the love of they even shrunk the bezels on the galaxy tab after the ipad mini was released. Yea real innovative.

Do you have a clue how much Samsung actually make?

75% of all the components in your little bragging signature would have been developed, tested and manufactured by Samsung.

Who do you think comes up with all the new technologies? It sure as hell isn't Apple with a total R&D budget of less that 3% of total revenue.

BC2009
Aug 1, 2013, 11:20 AM

Yes, I read the article, but I read it before the "UPDATE" was added to it. I'm not in the habit of re-reading articles unless they put (Updated) in the headline.

Ventilatedbrain
Aug 1, 2013, 11:25 AM
I'm sorry .. What ???
Well you never know maybe its true but for me I've been to both sides and I can't wait for the 5s :)

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 11:27 AM
Yes, I read the article, but I read it before the "UPDATE" was added to it. I'm not in the habit of re-reading articles unless they put (Updated) in the headline.

Well that's interesting. That article is from April. So - you either have that article "saved" to spread "gossip" or you really didn't read the full article (maybe you stopped part way when you saw what you wanted with the sensationalistic headline) - or maybe there's another answer I haven't thought of?

uknowimright
Aug 1, 2013, 11:29 AM
I fail to see why some people can't just be happy with what they have without condemning everything else they don't have or don't want.

Enjoy what you have/like/use. The amount of energy used to "destroy the enemy" is absurd.

I feel you, guess some people really have to justify their actions/choices at every turn, honestly almost seems unhealthy to me

Plutonius
Aug 1, 2013, 11:33 AM
It shows that the money Samsung is putting into advertising is working.

9Speed
Aug 1, 2013, 11:36 AM

Completely agree and so many fan boys here will try to argue why Samsung is better until they die.

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 11:36 AM
It shows that the money Samsung is putting into advertising is working.

Debatable. This isn't about brand recognition - it's about satisfaction.

ElTorro
Aug 1, 2013, 11:40 AM
Mr Cook, alarm bells are ringing... Samsung topped Apple at:
- last Q profit
- web usage
- smart phone sales
and now, the customer satisfaction.

I hope management will wake up finally.

Nunyabinez
Aug 1, 2013, 11:41 AM
I'm not about to switch because of my huge investment in the Apple ecosystem, but I was eligible for an upgrade in May from my 4s and didn't see much value in moving to a 5. I'm really hoping for something amazing in the 5S, because at this point the only reason to upgrade is that I'm already paying the monthly fee, so I might as well have the newest version since I can sell my old one. But, I certainly don't feel like i HAVE to have a new iPhone.

Some of these Samsung phones are ridiculously large, but I am starting to feel like my phone is really out of date. I really hope the new iPhone is cool. I'm not about to switch, but my satisfaction is certainly falling. I hate to say that, but it is the truth.

praterkeith
Aug 1, 2013, 12:01 PM
I'm not about to switch because of my huge investment in the Apple ecosystem, but I was eligible for an upgrade in May from my 4s and didn't see much value in moving to a 5. I'm really hoping for something amazing in the 5S, because at this point the only reason to upgrade is that I'm already paying the monthly fee, so I might as well have the newest version since I can sell my old one. But, I certainly don't feel like i HAVE to have a new iPhone.

Some of these Samsung phones are ridiculously large, but I am starting to feel like my phone is really out of date. I really hope the new iPhone is cool. I'm not about to switch, but my satisfaction is certainly falling. I hate to say that, but it is the truth.

I like the way you put that. Simple and to the point. I was in the same boat when the 5 came out but I upgraded from an iPhone 4. I have absolutely no desire to upgrade this time around if all of the rumors are true of the 5s. In my opinion the iPhone 6 should be a game changer. And it should come sooner than later.

----------

My friends wife: "OH MY GAWWD, MY SCREEN IS SO BIG!! IT'S SO BETTER THAN YOURS!!"

Me: glad I didn't marry her first and wishing there was a taser app to zap her dumb A**

The point: really nothing to do with advertising but just to give you an idea of the average customer outside of this message board. Lol.

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 12:04 PM
I like the way you put that. Simple and to the point. I was in the same boat when the 5 came out but I upgraded from an iPhone 4. I have absolutely no desire to upgrade this time around if all of the rumors are true of the 5s. In my opinion the iPhone 6 should be a game changer. And it should come sooner than later.

Maybe from a personal point of view.

From a business point of view - I think Apple's release cycle is working for them. Do they frustrate some customers - sure. Do they lose some - sure (but I am sure they gain more than they lose on any given year - at least for now).

Apple competes against everyone - but ultimately - since they have one model - people who want iOS/Apple - buy whatever is currently available/latest/etc

Samsung and other Android manufacturers almost have to have a shorter release cycle to remain competitive. Their landscape is "busier." I'm not saying it's better or worse. Just that since several companies are competing within the same Android space - having the lasted most talked about phone is important. And probably more than Apple's need to one up (itself) more frequently.

praterkeith
Aug 1, 2013, 12:05 PM
Maybe from a personal point of view.

From a business point of view - I think Apple's release cycle is working for them. Do they frustrate some customers - sure. Do they lose some - sure (but I am sure they gain more than they lose on any given year - at least for now).

Apple competes against everyone - but ultimately - since they have one model - people who want iOS/Apple - buy whatever is currently available/latest/etc

Samsung and other Android manufacturers almost have to have a shorter release cycle to remain competitive. Their landscape is "busier." I'm not saying it's better or worse. Just that since several companies are competing within the same Android space - having the lasted most talked about phone is important. And probably more than Apple's need to one up (itself) more frequently.

It was most certainly a personal point of view.

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 12:07 PM

----------

My friends wife: "OH MY GAWWD, MY SCREEN IS SO BIG!! IT'S SO BETTER THAN YOURS!!"

Me: glad I didn't marry her first and wishing there was a taser app to zap her dumb A**

The point: really nothing to do with advertising but just to give you an idea of the average customer outside of this message board. Lol.

Some people value a bigger screen over anything else. To them - that's what makes THEIR phone the best. Who is anyone to argue. Use what's best for you. You don't live anyone else's life.

----------

It was most certainly a personal point of view.

Right - I didn't mean to imply you were posting otherwise - just adding my thoughts :)

praterkeith
Aug 1, 2013, 12:08 PM
Some people value a bigger screen over anything else. To them - that's what makes THEIR phone the best. Who is anyone to argue. Use what's best for you. You don't live anyone else's life.

It's how customers satisfaction differs from person to person. You reiterated my point.

cdmoore74
Aug 1, 2013, 12:11 PM
. Im not about to switch because of my huge investment in the Apple ecosystem, but I was eligible for an upgrade in May from my 4s and didn't see much value in moving to a 5. I'm really hoping for something amazing in the 5S, because at this point the only reason to upgrade is that I'm already paying the monthly fee, so I might as well have the newest version since I can sell my old one. But, I certainly don't feel like i HAVE to have a new iPhone.

Who's asking you to switch? Stick to what you like. I have a Note 2 because I like the features and screen size. When I us my wifes iphone 5 I hate it but when she uses my Note its really not her style and she could care less. I did not base my purchase off some study or satisfaction chart. The iPhone 5 is the best phone for my wife. But for me Android is the best and having a greater choice in hardware is even better. Heck, I would get her iPhone 6 (5s won't be worth it) because its made for people that could care less about having the best. Many iphone fans dont care.

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 12:11 PM
It's how customers satisfaction differs from person to person. You reiterated my point.

Ok. But at the same time - wanting an app to tazer her "dumb a**" isn't exactly letting someone enjoy what they have ;)

Plutonius
Aug 1, 2013, 12:34 PM

All the advertisements by Samsung bash the iPhone. It shows you that the ads do work by making people less satisfied with their iPhones (Note - The same works in politics with lots of negative ads).

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 12:40 PM
All the advertisements by Samsung bash the iPhone. It shows you that the ads do work by making people less satisfied with their iPhones (Note - The same works in politics with lots of negative ads).

Are you suggesting the iPhone users become unhappy with their phones because they see a Samsung ad? How many do you think that really affects in that way?

That also doesn't explain that both companies have high satisfaction ratings overall.

It's actually a good thing. This means that both Samsung and Apple are producing quality devices that people like. I see no downside unless you are someone who thinks one company has to "fail" for another to "succeed"

Tysknaden
Aug 1, 2013, 12:41 PM
This is, why it is nicknamed "ricebowl".

JayJayAbels
Aug 1, 2013, 12:42 PM
Well would ya look at that? JUST LOOK AT IT!

Well done sir. I laughed.

alexbarlow
Aug 1, 2013, 12:49 PM
Has nobody noticed that basically every phone apple has made is right up there, Samsung put their efforts into 3 phones.... all the other 4 million different handsets running 10 different custom OS' are complete RUBBISH :)

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 12:55 PM
Has nobody noticed that basically every phone apple has made is right up there, Samsung put their efforts into 3 phones.... all the other 4 million different handsets running 10 different custom OS' are complete RUBBISH :)

I don't think most notice or care. It's irrelevant unless you absolutely need to bash Samsung for some inexplicable reason.

appledes7
Aug 1, 2013, 01:07 PM
I'm hoping this becomes a wakeup call to Apple. They really need to try harder to bring new features to their devices. They are just riding the coat tails of their former success. What's going to be new in the iPhone 5S? A finger print scanner and NFC? Only 2 new features?? What a joke! Not to mention neither of them are very original.

I hope Apple sees this and thinks to themselves "dang, people are really starting to like other people's products. Maybe we should try and push the envelope more on our own products." It really feels like they are just playing it safe now.

siurpeeman
Aug 1, 2013, 01:16 PM
"Not only does Samsung edge ahead of all iPhones, Apple customers themselves don't see much difference between the iPhone 4, 4S, or 5," ACSI director David VanAmburg said in a statement

ok, so can't the same be said of the note ii and the galaxy s3? they got the same satisfaction score as well.

iAi
Aug 1, 2013, 01:22 PM
Lol 1-2% difference on a few thousand who knows how scientific plus the probability that some of those polled are trolls. Negative ads. iHaters everywhere. Copycats paying trolls. Or that somebody rigging something ... Lol

Who knows how accurate are these BS polls regardless who those trolls or not they are "polling"' say is on top?

It is more likely for iHaters than Phandroid haters to screw the results of these polls. Just look at the Phandroids trolling the iForums and Internet everywhere. IFans are less likely to troll or pretend they have non-iDevice. There are so many iHaters who can say they own an iThing (but actually they do not), and still be counted / polled and screw the results regardless if it is scientific / reliable / how large their sampling is.

Whatever. What matters is my satisfaction! :D

/s

----------

Lol Anything is possible. No shame. :D

kitsap2
Aug 1, 2013, 01:29 PM

I'm in your camp. Though I never experienced/owned an iPhone until about two weeks ago (I bought an iPhone 5), I did have a new Samsung Galaxy S2 (my first smartphone) for the past 4 1/2 months. It was fabulous at first, loved the screen size, interchangeable batteries, and upgradeable storage. Then, I started to miss what I had with my existing iPad, iPod Touch, and Macbook Pro (mid '09 model). The ease of having everything perfectly synced with each other via iCloud and iTunes.

And what I thought was really cool about the S2, soon started to wane with its quirky habits, stutter-y apps, and the physical size started to wear on me. Sure, you can customize the hell out of an Android phone, all kinds of neat eye candy stuff, widgets that have some real use to them, but the bottom line was that the phone was getting in the way of me wanting to use it. Obviously that's just me. I longed for the simplicity of iOS and familiarity.

The iPhone 5 is surely expensive (paid in full, grimacing during the transaction), but once it was in my hands, it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. The size is perfect for me. Much more pocketable than the larger S2. Even if there had been a choice of a larger iPhone, I would have chosen the current size.

I love choices. Doesn't everybody?

Nunyabinez
Aug 1, 2013, 01:47 PM
Who's asking you to switch? Stick to what you like. I have a Note 2 because I like the features and screen size. When I us my wifes iphone 5 I hate it but when she uses my Note its really not her style and she could care less. I did not base my purchase off some study or satisfaction chart. The iPhone 5 is the best phone for my wife. But for me Android is the best and having a greater choice in hardware is even better. Heck, I would get her iPhone 6 (5s won't be worth it) because its made for people that could care less about having the best. Many iphone fans dont care.

I don't feel like anyone's asking me to switch, and I'm not basing my decision off any survey, I'm just saying I understand how satisfaction with what has been a great phone is decreasing. My observation is that other manufacturers are pushing the envelope and Apple is starting to lag further behind than I would like.

I don't expect Apple to be on the bleeding edge of technology, but I do expect that when something has proven successful they will implement it in an elegant way. I am hopeful that the 5S will be this, but I think I'm out of luck until the 6 comes, which means I might end up skipping 5 all together.

macs4nw
Aug 1, 2013, 02:40 PM
His potential trolling pales in comparison to your rant. At the end of the day - the best device is the one you like using most.
I am sure by the end of today, this thread will be riddled with posts condemning the survey (because clearly any survey that doesn't put Apple in the lead is wrong, paid-for, etc) and/or turn into some Samsung (Android) vs Apple (iOS) pissing contest. Don't we have enough threads like that already? :rolleyes:

Agreed. All this survey confirms is that the owners of said SAMSUNG and APPLE smartphones, are mostly satisfied with their devices, and we knew that already. No need to get worked up over literally two-to-three percentage points, that could easily fluctuate due to the introduction of newer models, amongst other things.

It's statistically a very narrow margin, and right now SAMSUNG is leading. If you're happy with what you're using, that's all that matters.

iAi
Aug 1, 2013, 02:55 PM
Agreed. All this survey confirms is that the owners of said SAMSUNG and APPLE smartphones, are mostly satisfied with their devices, and we knew that already. No need to get worked up over literally two-to-three percentage points, that could easily fluctuate due to the introduction of newer models, amongst other things.

It's statistically a very narrow margin, and right now SAMSUNG is leading. If you're happy with what you're using, that's all that matters.

Agreed.

What I find funny is that, for the poll to be somewhat believable, it has to be really close for the iPhones to be dislodged at the top spot.

:D

I don't even care if iGadgets get 100% satisfaction among most of their users / owners.

I am 100% sure there is some rigging going on in this too close to call BS. And yet, the paid publicists making a big deal out of it. Stop with the obsession in this non-sense polls. Lol

mudman2
Aug 1, 2013, 03:08 PM
OK quick survey for yourself

How many people do you know have switched from an iPhone to any Android ?

OK based on that answer if the number is greater than zero, what are your thoughts opinions towards that person ?

Its most likely zero anyway and if not I am not sure you think highly of the person.

Now reverse it how many people do you know who have left any Android for an iPhone

What do you think of them ?

Now travel thru any airport and count the number of Androids you see being used. Not many right !

So given that, I want to know where all these phones are since I never see them.

dannyyankou
Aug 1, 2013, 03:14 PM
For anyone considering switching, I have a friend who switched to Android, but switched back to iPhone a few days ago because he missed it.

iAi
Aug 1, 2013, 03:18 PM
If I will switch / it is practical for me to have another device, it will definitely be an HTC or Google Nexus (never a Samsung) or Blackberry. Right now, iPhones are perfect for my style, needs and so much more. There you go.

Nokia with iOS would be as orgasmic / perfect / 100% satisfying for me as with the Apple. :D

Or even Sony!

Samsung, just kill yourself, lol.

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 03:39 PM

OK based on that answer if the number is greater than zero, what are your thoughts opinions towards that person ?

Its most likely zero anyway and if not I am not sure you think highly of the person.

Now reverse it how many people do you know who have left any Android for an iPhone

Now travel thru any airport and count the number of Androids you see being used. Not many right !

So given that, I want to know where all these phones are since I never see them.

Thank you for that laugh - clearly a joke, right?

For anyone considering switching, I have a friend who switched to Android, but switched back to iPhone a few days ago because he missed it.

I switched - oh I still have my iPhone - but rarely if ever use it. I use my iPad more than my iPhone when using iOS nowadays.

Gigaman
Aug 1, 2013, 04:19 PM
And the award goes to...? Wait, this ain't JD power.

If there supposedly isn't much of a difference between the recent iPhones, how is there an equally significant difference between those devices higher than the iPhones?? Samsung fans shouldn't even be mentioning innovation...

Oletros
Aug 1, 2013, 05:04 PM

You're joking, don't you?

asthamapheo
Aug 1, 2013, 07:20 PM
feeling really proud of my Galaxy s3, but i also feel bad for apple:(

Lancer
Aug 1, 2013, 07:22 PM
Apple needs to step up their game. They need to lead the market, not become lost in it by rehashing the same devices.

I agree, that's why I'm hoping with the whole cheap iPhone rumors Apple skips the 5s and goes strait to a bigger screen iPhone 6, maybe 4.5".

aeneas07
Aug 1, 2013, 07:24 PM
This is a well known business phenomenon. Consumer satisfaction is driven by their expectation of a product. All this says is that the S3 was better than consumers expected it to be, not that it is better than the iphone 5. It is actually very difficult to keep high satisfaction scores year after year because consumers keep expecting more and more, so I wouldn't say this is a knock against the iPhone.

You can be 100% satisfied with a flip phone if all you expected was something to call someone and get good service...

samcraig
Aug 1, 2013, 07:38 PM
This is a well known business phenomenon. Consumer satisfaction is driven by their expectation of a product. All this says is that the S3 was better than consumers expected it to be, not that it is better than the iphone 5. It is actually very difficult to keep high satisfaction scores year after year because consumers keep expecting more and more, so I wouldn't say this is a knock against the iPhone.

You can be 100% satisfied with a flip phone if all you expected was something to call someone and get good service...

Ok. So when the iPhone rates high approvals - it's because people also expected less?

Both Samsung and Apple produced phones which they should be very proud of because the public really likes them. I really don't see this chart as winning or losing anything. Which is why I find the pissing contest silly.

egoistaxx9
Aug 1, 2013, 08:04 PM
i'm sure apple's gonna make a great comeback with the iphone 5s and 5c, go apple!

likemyorbs
Aug 1, 2013, 08:35 PM
Well done sir. I laughed.

Glad someone got the reference!

Michael Scrip
Aug 1, 2013, 08:39 PM
Mr Cook, alarm bells are ringing... Samsung topped Apple at:
- last Q profit
- web usage
- smart phone sales
and now, the customer satisfaction.

I hope management will wake up finally.

Samsung is topping Apple in a variety of things. Apple will be fine though.... they thrive despite not being the #1

But that also means Samsung is also topping every other company too.

Maybe you should focus your attention to some other companies... HTC needs some TLC

In the fast food industry... how bad does Wendy's feel always getting topped by McDonalds? Does it really matter? Are we having a funeral for Wendy's?

Anyway... these customer satisfaction scores aren't quite the blowout you make it out to be.

84 vs 82.... omg ;)

BTW... HTC isn't even on that customer satisfaction list. You might wanna tell their management to wake up before Apple needs to.

Mebsat
Aug 2, 2013, 09:08 AM

Which is exactly what is not going to happen once iOS 7 is on all shipping hardware.

Apple is going to face collapsing customer sat ratings this fall, even if fanboys love iOS7 (and even if it is truly a good OS).

Why?

Because millions of users have spent 4 years building muscle memory in the iOS 4/5/6 ecosystem and when all of that is yanked away, the outcry is going to be profound.

Apple is going to do all this during the holiday season:

1) Come out with new hardware (iPhone, iPad) running iOS 7
2) Release iOS 7
3) Prevent all this new hardware from possibly running iOS 6
4) Continue the practice of making it impossible for normal people to downgrade their devices, so anyone who upgrades to iOS 7 and doesn't like it is stuck.

50% of Apple's revenue comes from iPhone, and most of those users do not know or care about anything discussed on this website.
In fact many of them do not even know iOS7 is coming.
People in the MR echo chamber may not believe this, but it is true.

Consider how many people just say yes to any upgrade. This one is really going to change their phone.
Throw in the fact that a lot of apps are simply not going to be ready, and Apple has a full blown PR crisis on its hands. Look at how much blowback there was for changing access to one app (Google Maps).

Everything Apple has built rests on the iPhone and the majority of users are not technophiles.
This change and the way it is going to be managed is going to break the trust they have in Apple and it is going to change the customer sat ratings forever.

The simple way to prevent this (which we know Apple will never do) would be to not only ship everything with iOS 6 through the holiday season, but to make it easy to switch back to iOS 6 in iTunes. Instead they are going to use their "abuse the user" technique (a la the Final Cut Pro transition) except this time with the entire ecosystem that the company rests on.

It is very likely that Tim Cook will not survive the results of this decision.

maxosx
Aug 2, 2013, 09:33 AM
Samsung is topping Apple in a variety of things. Apple will be fine though.... they thrive despite not being the #1

But that also means Samsung is also topping every other company too.

Maybe you should focus your attention to some other companies... HTC needs some TLC

In the fast food industry... how bad does Wendy's feel always getting topped by McDonalds? Does it really matter? Are we having a funeral for Wendy's?

Anyway... these customer satisfaction scores aren't quite the blowout you make it out to be.

84 vs 82.... omg ;)

BTW... HTC isn't even on that customer satisfaction list. You might wanna tell their management to wake up before Apple needs to.

Kudos for doing a great job of putting it all into perspective.

I say the more the merrier. Variety & competition keeps the innovation moving along.

Seeing Apple top the charts over and over is not only boring, it's downright dangerous. Especially since its no secret they love being dictatorial and in control.

The stronger that others become, the better for all of us.

Michael Scrip
Aug 2, 2013, 10:55 AM
Which is exactly what is not going to happen once iOS 7 is on all shipping hardware.

Apple is going to face collapsing customer sat ratings this fall, even if fanboys love iOS7 (and even if it is truly a good OS).

Why?

Because millions of users have spent 4 years building muscle memory in the iOS 4/5/6 ecosystem and when all of that is yanked away, the outcry is going to be profound.

Apple is going to do all this during the holiday season:

1) Come out with new hardware (iPhone, iPad) running iOS 7
2) Release iOS 7
3) Prevent all this new hardware from possibly running iOS 6
4) Continue the practice of making it impossible for normal people to downgrade their devices, so anyone who upgrades to iOS 7 and doesn't like it is stuck.

I thought people complained that iOS was "stale" ?

It's looked the same for 6 years?

Gosh... I wish people would make up their minds :)

Mebsat
Aug 2, 2013, 11:59 AM
I thought people complained that iOS was "stale" ?

It's looked the same for 6 years?

Gosh... I wish people would make up their minds :)

Not the point at all I was trying to make. I'm just saying that Apple's heavy-handed way of managing these things is going to bite them hard this time.

Too much change at the busiest time of the year is going to infuriate the non-tech user. And that is a lot of users who are going to be in crowded Apple stores demanding to know why they can't just put iOS 6 back so their phone will work.

appleisking
Aug 2, 2013, 07:11 PM
Not the point at all I was trying to make. I'm just saying that Apple's heavy-handed way of managing these things is going to bite them hard this time.

Too much change at the busiest time of the year is going to infuriate the non-tech user. And that is a lot of users who are going to be in crowded Apple stores demanding to know why they can't just put iOS 6 back so their phone will work.

What? lol It's a new OS, people aren't brainless chickens, they'll figure it out. Its functionality and UI is very similar to ios 6, it's essentially just a new skin with a couple of new features like control center. Why would anyone want ios 6 instead of it? What makes it inferior to ios 6?

Orlandoech.com
Aug 2, 2013, 07:19 PM
Like you did with your andriod phone?? Lil

I have an iPhone. I've never owned an android.

----------

Completely agree and so many fan boys here will try to argue why Samsung is better until they die.

Sad but also true.

----------

I don't own any samsung products besides TVs. I don't like Droid OS but I think Apple is being bland for the last few years and that's my opinion.

mib1800
Aug 2, 2013, 10:57 PM

Like Apple copied quick toggles and slider less lockscreen from Samsung in ios7 :p

Mebsat
Aug 2, 2013, 11:14 PM
Why would anyone want ios 6 instead of it? What makes it inferior to ios 6?

People walk around and do stuff with their phones.

iOS 7 has way too much monochrome, thin fonts, zones instead of buttons, etc.
Everything is harder to visually acquire when not standing still.
It will make a lot of people not like the experience.

Apple's user base is not all in their 20s. And millions of them are not going to like the beta that is crammed down their throats, and it's still very much a beta.

Read my earlier post, it's not something I want to see happen, but it is what I believe will happen. Apple is going in to this with fatal arrogance, and I'm afraid this time it is going to bite them.

It's just sad because it would take a couple days for one engineer to make the new iPhones and iPads backward compatible, but they just won't do it.

joachimnb
Aug 3, 2013, 01:45 AM
Not great news for Apple. They could keep on top with iPod, but not iPhone after having success.

How can they still not realise that people want an option with bigger screen and that there is no important compromise in battery/brightness? Samsung is making Apple look like a toy except from build materials. Their mini phone is bigger than Apples flagship.

paulsdenton
Aug 3, 2013, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=Oletros;17667688]Source?

While I have read numerous articles on the subject the one that perhaps comes closest to what I was trying to get at is this one from several months ago:

http://www.imore.com/iphone-and-ipad-once-again-lead-web-usage-metrics-time-thanksgiving-and-black-friday-sales

It does equate Android with Samsung, and includes the iPad, which makes the comparison not exactly equal but I would think that with the dominance of Android usage by Samsung it is probably not too far off.

Also, as IOS has about a 30% market share, but the percentage of web usage by mobile phone users is about equal, it can reasonably be inferred that IOS users utilize the phones for web usage about three times as much as Android (Samsung, predominately) users. I admit that these are very general numbers but I believe they are reasonable.

The point I was, perhaps clumsily, trying to make is pretty much encapsulated in this paragraph from the iMore article:

"So what explains the discrepancy? Do people upgrading from feature phones to a cheap or big screen Android simply keep using it as a feature phone and not bother with things like web browsers? Is the web browsing experience on Android somehow less discoverable or enjoyable? Do expert users simply not care to use the web?"

As I noted in the original post I have both phones and, again, in my opinion, the iPhone is much easier to use. Reasonable people can disagree about this. The Apple's battery life isn't spectacular but I get twice as long with the iPhone as I do with the Samsung even though I use the iPhone more for web and messaging. I don't even get a whole day with the S3. Sure, I can pop a new battery into the S3, but it's more of a hassle.

To each his or her own.

appleisking
Aug 3, 2013, 09:55 AM
Like Apple copied quick toggles and slider less lockscreen from Samsung in ios7 :p

Oh please that is from android not samsung. BTW that was first introduced through jailbreak so nope no innovating there.