PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air 13 Fan Noise

Famous4it
Aug 1, 2013, 10:33 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a Mid 2011 Macbook Air 13 inch model which I purchased April 2012. In December 2012 I had a water spill which I had posted about and followed all the advice. I was really, really lucky and after 3 days of drying my laptop was working perfectly.

It's been a little over 7 months since the accident. In the last month however I've noticed my fan seems a bit nosier than usual. It only happens sometimes like when I was using photoshop now. But my fan RPM stays below 3000 and even after a restart it was still noisy till I left it in sleep mode for like ten minutes and came back. Sometimes I've even heard a sort of grinding sound during these noisy periods.

I haven't been experiencing any slowness or over-heating so I might just be being paranoid. I've been in America for the last month and I've been spending time in REALLY quiet neighborhoods compared to my usual environment. Maybe that's why I'm noticing the noise? Is this sort of stuff typical for a Macbook AIr?

I made the mistake of mentioning it to my father, and we'll be taking it to a shop to be checked out. He doesn't know about the spill, and I'm afraid the Liquid Contact Indicators may give me away (though I have no way of knowing if they ever were actually triggered). I'm afraid Apple may just blame it on the spill. Should I be worried or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Thanks

Here's one of the sounds: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyoexs2krv...rding%2011.m4a

iLive
Aug 1, 2013, 10:50 AM
I've been in America for the last month and I've been spending time in REALLY quiet neighborhoods compared to my usual environment. Maybe that's why I'm noticing the noise? Is this sort of stuff typical for a Macbook AIr?

I think you're overthinking it a bit. :D

Now, I can't help with your problem, but I think you should tell your dad so you two won't be put into an awkward situation. I hope someone here can help, and good luck!

Mr Rabbit
Aug 2, 2013, 08:41 AM
Your link doesn't work.

There are usually indicators of liquid damage other than the actual liquid submersion indicators that are built in. Stuff like drip marks, staining on components, corrosion, etc. When Apple see's any of these their only repair option is a tier 4 depot repair, where they send it off and every potentially affected component is replaced, whether it's one component or five. The cost for this will likely be around $800.

With that said, you might check out some Apple Authorized Service Providers (AASP) in your area. They are held to the same level of service as Apple but they often have a lot more leniency when it comes to repairing damage. For instance, they may be able to replace just the fan if nothing is wrong with the Mac. Fans are fairly cheap too, so you may end up with a $150~ repair vs the $800 option provided by Apple. You can find AASPs using Apple's locate tool - https://locate.apple.com

Just some food for thought.

beautifulcoder
Aug 2, 2013, 10:09 AM
My guess is probably dust accumulation causing the fan to work harder. Have you tried cracking it open yourself? It only takes a fancy screw driver and an air can. If it's corrosion or a new fan I would definitely go through Apple. At least, it will definitely be cheaper than buying a new computer. Plus if Apple screws something up you can hold them accountable a demand a replacement which is something you won't be able to do elsewhere.