PDA

View Full Version : Sky News Streaming - No Time Out

hyndman
Aug 1, 2013, 02:16 PM
Had an interesting email from Cox stating that 10 days before my rebilling date that I had blown through my 250GB allowance for our internet package. Having recently updated to the latest software and loving the fact I could get Sky News in the US live for the first time I had been using this feature.

However, if you forget to turn it off it will just stream and stream and stream... so efficiently that it will eat your data limit. Luckily there are no current charges from Cox for blowing 70GB past your limit as yet but a sign of things to come as they squeeze even more out of us.

Unfortunately ATV does not support streaming time out as far as I am aware which would be a real nice feature to have.

otisg
Aug 1, 2013, 08:37 PM
This is sort of an interesting point. If Apple TV adds more live channels, people who are used to traditional TV may turn off the TV itself but not the stream, since they are not used to having to do so. Of course, anyone who understands streaming would never do this, but it does mean some people might unknowingly waste lots of bandwidth.