Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
So I'm starting to struggle a little for space on my 4S running iOS 7 Beta.

I lost several GB's, unaccounted for as yet, when I installed the initial Beta, but the subject of this thread is storage management of Documents & Data growth whilst using iOS 7.

Apps like Yelp are just 32.1MB in size, but take up a whopping 884MB on my phone with 852MB of "Documents & Data" !!!

News Republic (a great app) but 603MB in size of which only 17.5MB is the app itself.

Rightmove - 333MB versus 25.4MB.

There are many others like this with seemingly wasted space.

Apparently the only way to reclaim this space under iOS 7, I'm told, is to delete and reinstall all of the offending apps.

Even though I've had iPhones since the 3G, I noticed for the first time that there used to be a feature which enabled user choice to delete the Documents & Data only, without removing the app.

http://leimobile.com/ios-5-offers-a-new-way-to-manage-storage/

Navigon-Usage.png

When was this removed from iOS please?

I could really do with this feature right now.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
I don't believe this was ever released to the public. It was in the iOS 5 betas but was removed before release iirc. It would be nice to be able to clear it without deleting the app an reinstalling.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I don't believe this was ever released to the public. It was in the iOS 5 betas but was removed before release iirc. It would be nice to be able to clear it without deleting the app an reinstalling.

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I was never involved in the iOS 5 Beta, so was unaware of this feature.

I guess people only notice or start to care about it when they are running short on space, but personally I can see no reason why Yelp, for example, should take up 884MB on my phone when the app is only 32.1MB.

That's crazy.

It's also very poor that the only available remedy at the moment is to delete it and start again.

Not very Apple like . . .

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I was hoping this might sneak through onto iOS 7 GM - although I thought it'd be unlikely.

Unfortunately there's no change.

As an example, I deleted Yelp and reinstalled and all was fine for a short while - it's now back back up to 912 MB on an app size of only 27.5 MB.

It's very poor file management on behalf of both the OS and many such apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.