PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air 2012 vs 2013

Noimus
Aug 1, 2013, 09:41 PM
Okay guys so here is the issue. I am a college student so I'm trying to save a much money as possible. I can get the new 11" airs from bestbuy for about $900. Since I'm cheap I saw that Amazon had a used very good condition MacBook Air 2012 11" for about $700. Do you guys think that's the better deal? I'll be using it for college and while battery is important, if I'm at the library there will always be charge ports. I'm just worried if I got the older model and I keep charging it that the battery overtime will die. Someone help?

jmoore5196
Aug 1, 2013, 09:50 PM
For the extra $200, I'd get the current model.

As a bit of context, I have a high-end 2012 11" - 8GB, 256GB, 2.0gHZ i7. If I could upgrade for $200, I probably would, even though most performance aspects would be equal. Why? Battery life.

If the portability prospect is strong enough that you can envision yourself hunting for an open outlet once or twice a day, I'd go ahead and spend the money now. My 2012 lasts about 3 1/2 hours on a charge, and there are many times when that's decidedly inconvenient.

scaredpoet
Aug 1, 2013, 10:25 PM
Think of this this way: you're going to want whatever computer you buy to last you the entire time you're in college, because nothing's worse than having a computer fail on you unexpectedly when you're a broke student. I know, I've had it happen.

A current, top of the line MacBook Air is going to have a way better chance of lasting you through college than a used previous-year model bought on Amazon. You don't know the used system's history, it's likely out of warranty or close to it, and it's already a generation behind. On top of that, the processors in the 2013 line a bit better than the 2012 models while offering way better battery life, and the way the Intel roadmap is going, this year's model will likely hold its own decently against next year's, too.

So, while you're spending $900 now, you're giving yourself a greater chance that you'll make it through college with the same computer... and likely not have to spend another $900 or so in your junior or senior year to get you through.

Oh, and while you're at it: check with Apple. With the education discount you can probably get the same model Air for about as much as Best Buy is charging, plus you'll get yourself a $100 iTunes card to buy apps or iBooks or Music or whatever.

bit density
Aug 2, 2013, 11:13 AM
Okay guys so here is the issue. I am a college student so I'm trying to save a much money as possible. I can get the new 11" airs from bestbuy for about $900. Since I'm cheap I saw that Amazon had a used very good condition MacBook Air 2012 11" for about $700. Do you guys think that's the better deal? I'll be using it for college and while battery is important, if I'm at the library there will always be charge ports. I'm just worried if I got the older model and I keep charging it that the battery overtime will die. Someone help?

It would depend on what is in there. if they are both 128/4M byte machines and if last years has applecare, than I would save the money. If last years is a base then get the new one and get applecare next year.

Habberkuk
Aug 2, 2013, 11:54 AM
I think you should buy the 2012 model. If you are not going to do some graphic intensive stuff, then definitely take the 2012 model. In terms of CPU performance there is not a big noticeable difference. Batteries will die at a certain point, but don't worry about that if it's only one year old.

As you said you are a college student, so go with the less expensive 2012 model.

mbafan
Aug 2, 2013, 12:22 PM
I think you should buy the 2012 model. If you are not going to do some graphic intensive stuff, then definitely take the 2012 model. In terms of CPU performance there is not a big noticeable difference. Batteries will die at a certain point, but don't worry about that if it's only one year old.

As you said you are a college student, so go with the less expensive 2012 model.

No sure if serious :), for portable 11 model take one with longest battery life

Habberkuk
Aug 2, 2013, 12:31 PM
No sure if serious :), for portable 11 model take one with longest battery life

Lol of course Im serious! ;) But 200$ for some extra hours of battery life? I don't think it's worth it.

M5RahuL
Aug 2, 2013, 12:57 PM
Lol of course Im serious! ;) But 200$ for some extra hours of battery life? I don't think it's worth it.

It's not just the battery, although that itself is a HUGE plus!

Other advantages of buying the 2013 Air:

- Much faster SSD
- Runs cooler [ at least in my experience and I do have a 2012 13" i7 too ]
- Better re-sale value
- Extra microphone
- Build quality appears to be better than my 2012. YMMV.
- Better Graphics Card
- Newer Processor [ how ever trivial of an improvement it may be... ]

I think those justify spending an extra $200 ! Again, IMO. :)

mbafan
Aug 2, 2013, 12:58 PM
it is totally worth it, bering in mind this is ultraportable, for some notebook would not matter much for this particular type, which u buy for portability, battery life is one of top aspects...

bravenewmac
Aug 2, 2013, 02:04 PM
with the airs just refreshed i really canīt understand why anyone would buy a old model. As others have said NOW is the best time to get a new air.

stockcerts
Aug 2, 2013, 03:06 PM

Battery life on a mobile device is a very important reason to upgrade.

bravenewmac
Aug 2, 2013, 03:09 PM
Battery life on a mobile device is a very important reason to upgrade.

seriously - also battery life is the only thing that will go down over time of usage. So if you are buying a USED MBA chances are it already only has like 80% capacity.

cxc273
Aug 2, 2013, 03:40 PM
Noimus, have you considered purchasing a refurbished 2012 MBA? You get a considerable cost savings and a brand new machine with a full Apple warranty.

You can get an 11" version with 4GB memory and 128GB of storage for $799. Check the tracking site www.refurb.me/us/browse/ for the full lineup and what Apple currently has in the store.

It's way better than buying used from Amazon.

jmoore5196
Aug 2, 2013, 04:31 PM
Noimus, have you considered purchasing a refurbished 2012 MBA? You get a considerable cost savings and a brand new machine with a full Apple warranty.

This is just my thinking, but the terms "refurbished" and "brand new" should be mutually exclusive.

Mike in Kansas
Aug 3, 2013, 06:46 AM
This is just my thinking, but the terms "refurbished" and "brand new" should be mutually exclusive.

Not when buying a refurb directly from Apple...

jmoore5196
Aug 3, 2013, 10:11 AM
Not when buying a refurb directly from Apple...

Mike, my definition of "brand new" has always been new, still sealed, untouched by human hands since it left the point of assembly. Consequently, there's no such thing as "still brand new" ... once something is opened and removed from the original box, it becomes used.

While I know buyers generally have a positive experience with Apple refurbs, I cannot understand how an item that has been used and then returned, refurbished and repackaged in a plain cardboard box can be considered "brand new."

Saving 10 to 20% of the purchase price doesn't make the product go from "used" to "new." I've never heard of anyone purchasing a refurb who got a factory-fresh computer.

I'm not arguing with anyone's decision to purchase a refurb; I'm just pointing out that you cannot expect the refurb you purchase from Apple to be "brand new." By my definition, it isn't and can never be.

Ronnoco
Aug 3, 2013, 12:33 PM
It's not just the battery, although that itself is a HUGE plus!

Other advantages of buying the 2013 Air:

- Much faster SSD
- Runs cooler [ at least in my experience and I do have a 2012 13" i7 too ]
- Better re-sale value
- Extra microphone
- Build quality appears to be better than my 2012. YMMV.
- Better Graphics Card
- Newer Processor [ how ever trivial of an improvement it may be... ]

I think those justify spending an extra $200 ! Again, IMO. :)
Also the 802.11ac is a nice addition

Mike in Kansas
Aug 3, 2013, 12:34 PM
Mike, my definition of "brand new" has always been new, still sealed, untouched by human hands since it left the point of assembly. Consequently, there's no such thing as "still brand new" ... once something is opened and removed from the original box, it becomes used.

While I know buyers generally have a positive experience with Apple refurbs, I cannot understand how an item that has been used and then returned, refurbished and repackaged in a plain cardboard box can be considered "brand new."

Saving 10 to 20% of the purchase price doesn't make the product go from "used" to "new." I've never heard of anyone purchasing a refurb who got a factory-fresh computer.

I'm not arguing with anyone's decision to purchase a refurb; I'm just pointing out that you cannot expect the refurb you purchase from Apple to be "brand new." By my definition, it isn't and can never be.

Do you really think that when Apple brought out the 2013 MBA's, every single one of them that they had in inventory got put into the
Clearance online store? I can guarantee you that a large portion of them went into "refurb" as their Clearance store typically has a very small selection, even when a specific item becomes "last year's model". I know, as I follow their inventory routinely and have purchased them from both outlets. Those "last year's models" truly are "brand new" and I suspect that it happens more than folks realize.

I purchased a 2008 iMac from the refurb store the day after the 2009's came out; the clearance store had next to nothing lised while the refurb store was packed with both screen sizes and almost all options. When I got it, I couldn't prove that was just repacked into the plain brown box, but I highly suspect it was. Every cord was still wrapped, every protective film was on it, it had no fingerprints. it still smelled new.

There's nothing magical about buying something that has never been touched by human hands versus one that has had maybe a week of use, been re-inspected, cleaned up (if needed), had the protective film put back on and re-packaged, especially considering that they have the same exact warranty. Granted, you never know how many hours of use that particular refurb had, but I don't think Apple would put the same original warranty (and AppleCare eligibility) on units that statistically have more problems than their band new ones. Unlike the other tech providers who typically only give you 90 days on their refurbs, Apple gives you up to 3.

cxc273
Aug 5, 2013, 02:29 PM
I didn't mean to send this thread down a rabbit hole to define what "new" really means.

Certainly, "refurbished" is not the textbook retail definition of "new," where the unit left the factory and hasn't been touched by human hands until the end user.

Apple's refurbs, however, are about as close to retail "new" as you can get. Certainly, the unit's been opened and handled, but it was sent back to Apple, repaired, given a new outer shell, inspected, and then repackaged in a non-retail (but new) package. Because laws specifically say that such units cannot be sold as "new," they're sold as refurbs at a discount from the retail price.

There are other stores and manufacturers who sell refurbs as well, but in my experience, I've never seen a company go to such lengths as Apple.

In the end, are they "brand new?" To some folks, maybe not. But I would never doubt a refurbed product coming from Apple.

My point to the originator of this thread is the Apple refurb is a way better deal than buying used from Amazon, and could be a better deal than what's available at Best Buy, depending on what specs and capabilities he wants.

KPOM
Aug 5, 2013, 02:45 PM
with the airs just refreshed i really canīt understand why anyone would buy a old model. As others have said NOW is the best time to get a new air.

For the first time virtually all the improvement was in battery life, rather than performance. So the 2012 model offers similar performance. For a college student on a budget, it could be worthwhile.