PDA

View Full Version : Removing unwanted fonts

cool11
Aug 2, 2013, 03:03 AM
I think that every new installation of Adobe or Microsoft software, adds fonts to my mac.
I am not sure if I need all these fonts. Many of them are useless for me.

How can safely discover and delete these fonts?
Can I remain with my osx fonts?
I want to get rid of them, but I don't want to have any malfunctions with microsoft office or adobe creative cloud.
What do you suggest?

benwiggy
Aug 2, 2013, 03:35 AM
How can safely discover and delete these fonts?
Can I remain with my osx fonts?
I want to get rid of them, but I don't want to have any malfunctions with microsoft office or adobe creative cloud.
What do you suggest?
OS X comes with FontBook, a utility for managing your fonts.
I would suggest that you don't delete them, but rather just disable them so that they don't clutter up your font menu and can easily be re-activated if needed.

You can safely disable many of the "non-Roman" script typefaces if you don't need them -- there are lots of fonts for Thai, Chinese, Japanese, and various other letterforms.

However, if you use Apple's iWorks, many of the templates use a lot of the Apple supplied fonts.

While Creative Cash (...sorry, Cloud) bundles a lot of professional fonts, which are fully supported in their applications, you don't need to use any of them of course.

If you want more sophisticated font management, then I suggest you get something like Linotype's FontExplorerX.

cool11
Aug 2, 2013, 04:20 AM
Remove some weird fonts, like non roman ones, will cause any problems to the applications?

benwiggy
Aug 2, 2013, 07:50 AM
Remove some weird fonts, like non roman ones, will cause any problems to the applications?
If you're talking about the fonts in /Library/Fonts, then those can be safely disabled. The worst thing that will happen is that some text will not display correctly and make look a bit crappy in a different font.

Fonts in /System/Library/Fonts should NOT be disabled or deleted, and if you do delete them, they will magically reappear!!

As I say, it's best just to DISABLE fonts, not remove them.

davidlv
Aug 3, 2013, 10:20 AM
If you're talking about the fonts in /Library/Fonts, then those can be safely disabled. The worst thing that will happen is that some text will not display correctly and make look a bit crappy in a different font.
Fonts in /System/Library/Fonts should NOT be disabled or deleted, and if you do delete them, they will magically reappear!!
As I say, it's best just to DISABLE fonts, not remove them.
Fontbook will not let you disable fonts that are required (safety measure?).
It also has a duplicate font 'search and disable function' (in the Edit menu?).
For a basic font utility, it seems to be enough for most users. Try it before you go deleting fonts (reinstalling a system and applications that install fonts is very time consuming :eek:!).

Pndrgnsvc
Aug 4, 2013, 10:16 AM
Alas, removing certain MS fonts can cause assorted problems. Unfortunately, seemingly undesired or unusual/foreign fonts may in fact be required. Ergo, before venturing forth, I strongly recommend you read this: http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/font-management/

cool11
Nov 5, 2013, 11:47 AM
I got 'Fontexplorer'.
Is there any safe and automated function in this application, to remove any duplicate fonts, asian ones, etc?