PDA

View Full Version : Another Study Shows Non-iOS Tablets Surpassing iPad in Global Market Share

MacRumors
Aug 2, 2013, 09:55 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/02/another-study-shows-non-ios-tablets-surpassing-ipad-in-global-market-share/)

Research firm Canalys has for the first time found that non-iOS tablets have surpassed (http://www.canalys.com/newsroom/small-tablets-drive-big-share-gains-android) the iPad in global market share. While Apple still holds the biggest market share by a single manufacturer with 42.7%, tablets from Samsung, Amazon, Lenovo, Acer and others have combined to pass the company in total market share with a combined 57.3% of the tablet market. This compares to the year-ago quarter where Apple held 71.2% of the tablet market share, compared to other manufacturers who combined for 28.9% of the market. In total, worldwide tablet shipments grew to 34.2 million tablets in Q2 2013, up from 23.9 million in the year-ago quarter.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/canalys_tablet_chart.jpgApple's decline in shipments and share has been partly attributed to its aging portfolio. But Canalys believes that new product launches will have less impact on its shipments in future. 'When Apple does decide to refresh its iPad range it will not experience the buzz of previous launches,' said Canalys Analyst James Wang. 'Tablets are now mainstream products and hardware innovation is increasingly difficult. With branded Android tablets available for less than $150, the PC market has never been so good for consumers, who are voting with their wallets.' The move to smaller tablets has sparked a price war that has real consequences for the entire supply chain. These products generate little absolute margin for channel partners, vendors or component manufacturers. Content, applications and accessories (especially cases and keyboards) are now even more important to boost margins - areas where Apple remains a leader.While Canalys saw Apple's share of the tablet market fall below 50% for the first time during the second quarter of 2013, other studies have shown that the milestone was passed earlier. For example, IDC showed Apple falling to 43.6% (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/31/apples-share-of-worldwide-tablet-shipments-slips-to-43-6-in-4q-2012/) back in the fourth quarter of 2012. Difficulties in tracking actual sales and shipment, particularly with respect to generic devices sold in emerging markets, frequently lead to wide disparities in results from various firms.

Also unclear is what many of these non-Apple tablets are being used for, as web usage statistics have consistently shown the iPad dominating (http://chitika.com/insights/2013/june-tablet-update) the market.

Apple is expected to refresh the iPad line as soon as next month, with the release (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/01/silver-ipad-5-rear-shell-appears-in-new-photos-with-ipad-mini-styling/) of a fifth-generation iPad that is said to be lighter and thinner than previous models, and a new iPad mini that is likely (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/01/next-ipad-mini-likely-to-have-retina-display-possibly-multiple-colors-of-back-covers/) to have a high-resolution Retina display.

Article Link: Another Study Shows Non-iOS Tablets Surpassing iPad in Global Market Share (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/02/another-study-shows-non-ios-tablets-surpassing-ipad-in-global-market-share/)

sonicrobby
Aug 2, 2013, 09:58 AM
If my memory recalls, Q2 of 2012 had the iPad 3 release while Q2 of 2013 had no iPad release. Its no question why iPad shipments are down. If in iPad 5 was released spring 2013, we would probably be seeing different numbers.

tann
Aug 2, 2013, 10:01 AM
In all fairness it's going to happen eventually.

Also, this year is the first year there hasn't been a new iPad released in the first half.

frayne182
Aug 2, 2013, 10:01 AM
This will only push Apple more. This is a good thing. They weren't doing much. the iPad Mini with specs similar to an iPad 2 isn't enough.

Hopefully we will see a nice iPad Mini with Retina and good specs for the next unveil.

This is good for all tablet users of any market. This competition will only bring us better prices and features.

UnfetteredMind
Aug 2, 2013, 10:08 AM
Quite a lot of "Others" there.

kevinpdoyle
Aug 2, 2013, 10:17 AM
What qualifies as an Amazon tablet? I assume only the Fires?

afawcett
Aug 2, 2013, 10:21 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/02/another-study-shows-non-ios-tablets-surpassing-ipad-in-global-market-share/)

Also unclear is what many of these non-Apple tablets are being used for, as web usage statistics have consistently shown the iPad dominating (http://chitika.com/insights/2013/june-tablet-update) the market.

Article Link: Another Study Shows Non-iOS Tablets Surpassing iPad in Global Market Share (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/02/another-study-shows-non-ios-tablets-surpassing-ipad-in-global-market-share/)

These non-iPad tablets aren't being used. They are bought because they are popular and end up collecting dusk. You know iPad users are using iPads. Other tablet owners just like owning tablets.

Westside guy
Aug 2, 2013, 10:25 AM
It makes sense that the low end was going to fill in eventually - as we saw with smartphones. It's not a space Apple likely wants to compete in, though.

I'm guessing most of us wouldn't recognize most of the brands that fall under "other", and probably will never see them in the wild.

My1stMacWasLisa
Aug 2, 2013, 10:31 AM
When the analyst says
"the PC market has never been so good for consumers"
surely he means the "POST PC market" as Jobs already pointed out.

PC sales are declining rapidly and will never recover their previous levels. Tablets are projected to overtake PC sales as early as end of next year. People who never needed a PC in the first place are turning to consumer electronic devices like tablets for their needs (facebook, ebay, amazon, browsing, music movies).

Joe Public never needed an Alan Turing general computing device like a PC. But now thanks to Apple and everyone who followed their lead, Joe Public now has that consumer electronic device.

It's a post PC world.

Think back to that day in January 2010 and how they laughed when Steve said "This is a Magical and Revolutionary device". Well the Revolution happened, who's laughing now.

newdeal
Aug 2, 2013, 10:34 AM
Apple needs to change the rste of updates to their lines.The market is growing far fasterthan apple is. Unlike the ipod craze apple has real competition this time around

Monkeydude
Aug 2, 2013, 10:36 AM
Most android users "disguise" their browsers as chrome-desktop, safari-desk...-also iPad users that don't use safari do that a lot, so web traffic numbers may be misleading.

outphase
Aug 2, 2013, 10:39 AM
You can't take a shipment count to represent market share.

PBG4 Dude
Aug 2, 2013, 11:05 AM
Or profit share. Amazon sells Kindle Fires at a loss and Google sells at cost. How long can companies compete on zero or negative profit?

Luckily for Apple, they still have the most/best content, but that could change based on the ebook ruling.

Michael Scrip
Aug 2, 2013, 11:13 AM
Or profit share. Amazon sells Kindle Fires at a loss and Google sells at cost. How long can companies compete on zero or negative profit?

Luckily for Apple, they still have the most/best content, but that could change based on the ebook ruling.

Amazon isn't competing very well... 1.5 million tablets out of 34 million tablets. But the Kindle Fire was just to get people to shop at Amazon... the device itself doesn't have to make money.

I don't know what will come from the ebook ruling. Apple devices have a pretty sizable installed base and appeal. It would be fooling for content companies to pull away from Apple... so I doubt that will happen.

The consumer might not notice any difference... but Apple might not get to keep their 30% or something.

samcraig
Aug 2, 2013, 11:14 AM
These non-iPad tablets aren't being used. They are bought because they are popular and end up collecting dusk. You know iPad users are using iPads. Other tablet owners just like owning tablets.

Guess what though? That doesn't matter. This is about sales.

Further - all the wishful thinking in the world doesn't make your statement valid. The only thing that has been shown is that iOS users use the internet a lot.

Last I checked - tablets do more than go online.

ArizonaKid
Aug 2, 2013, 11:14 AM

Works the other way too. I returned my iPad 4th Gen due to lack of use. Laptop habits die hard.

But for $229 I have no problems occasionally using the Nexus 7 2nd Gen. I actually find myself using it more because its small and light and perfect for reading.

Plutonius
Aug 2, 2013, 11:18 AM
For the most part, it's price and Apple will not compete on price.

PBG4 Dude
Aug 2, 2013, 11:26 AM

I think the iPad mini would beg to differ. :)

samcraig
Aug 2, 2013, 11:29 AM

iPad Mini, lower cost iPhone rumored.

They'll compete on price - but only on their terms.

cdmoore74
Aug 2, 2013, 11:32 AM
I think the iPad mini would beg to differ. :)

I think the Nexus 7 would beg to differ. ;)

rtomyj
Aug 2, 2013, 11:37 AM
With those numbers I'd expect to see more Android tablets on people's hand... Which I don't.

firewood
Aug 2, 2013, 11:39 AM
Even Microsoft only held onto their greater than 50% market share of computing platforms for only a quarter century:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/business/Screen%20Shot%202013-05-29%20at%2012.35.25%20PM.png

Apple had a good 3 year run, and it looks like they're actually still on top if you weight computing platforms by mobility and being actually used on the internet.

waltand07
Aug 2, 2013, 11:46 AM
Apple has got this all under control. My guess is the 2014 iPhone 6 will resemble the iPad mini. The low cost iPhone is the beginning of a new chapter for apple. They will make a low cost iPad mini in 2014.

jayducharme
Aug 2, 2013, 11:59 AM
You know iPad users are using iPads. Other tablet owners just like owning tablets.

I wonder how many non-Apple tablets are given as gifts. There are probably a lot of people who would like to get or give an iPad but don't want to spend the money, so they think an Android tablet will be good enough. The person who gets that tablet as a gift uses it for a short time, doesn't like it and then just sticks it on a shelf.

And if that's the case, I wonder how many of those same people will then never get an iPad, thinking it's the same as an Android tablet.

.Asa
Aug 2, 2013, 12:07 PM

Source?
I know plenty of people who use nexus and kindle tablets regularly.

----------

I wonder how many non-Apple tablets are given as gifts. There are probably a lot of people who would like to get or give an iPad but don't want to spend the money, so they think an Android tablet will be good enough. The person who gets that tablet as a gift uses it for a short time, doesn't like it and then just sticks it on a shelf.

And if that's the case, I wonder how many of those same people will then never get an iPad, thinking it's the same as an Android tablet.

Why do you just assume that iPads are far superior to android tablets? In many cases it's the other way round.

KdParker
Aug 2, 2013, 12:21 PM
In all fairness it's going to happen eventually.

Also, this year is the first year there hasn't been a new iPad released in the first half.

Cost will be a factor....maybe not as much now, but tablets aoround $300-$400 will be the norm and iPad is just alot higher than that for the latest and greatest.

Kabeyun
Aug 2, 2013, 12:21 PM
This is just like the desktop OS economics of the 80s & 90s, only Apple had a bigger headstart. But headstart or no, you don't maintain market dominance without licensing your OS.

samcraig
Aug 2, 2013, 12:32 PM
Source?
----------

Why do you just assume that iPads are far superior to android tablets? In many cases it's the other way round.

Because some people NEED to believe that the only reason people don't buy iPads is because of price. And that the reason Android tablets could outsell the iPad has to be some "err" in the system.

hexor
Aug 2, 2013, 12:38 PM
Source?

For some reason I always read how after a newer model of an android tablet comes out they all of a sudden say "boy, the last version has _blank_ problem, I'm glad they fixed it in this one".. Furthermore a lot of these android tablets are made so cheap up front that after a year you hear about other problems such as terrible battery life.. because they used a cheap battery that doesn't last long but looks good when you first buy it..

PBG4 Dude
Aug 2, 2013, 01:21 PM
I think the Nexus 7 would beg to differ. ;)

I was answering the statement, "Apple will not compete on price."

Since the Nexus 7 is not an Apple device, I didn't mention it. :confused:

Shaun, UK
Aug 2, 2013, 01:32 PM
Also unclear is what many of these non-Apple tablets are being used for, as web usage statistics have consistently shown the iPad dominating the market.

Games, eBooks, Films, TV, etc.

Who buys a tablet just to surf the web? The screen's too small on most tablets.

pubwvj
Aug 2, 2013, 01:48 PM
Meaningless data. This report shows shipments. Remember that Microsoft shipped a huge number of Surface tablets and just wrote most of them off as no-sale. Samsung did the same thing last year.

Meaningful data is sales and customer satisfaction. What are people buying and what will they rebuy when the time comes to upgrade.

Another meaningful data set is users - Apple tablets, including the iPodTouch which is really a micro-mini-tablet, get resold and passed down so that a higher percentage stay in use as opposed to other types where they get trashed.

WilliamG
Aug 2, 2013, 02:07 PM
Not really surprising. Apple hasn't innovated in a while. Heck, even as a huge Apple fan, I just picked up a couple of Nexus 7 2013 models, - wife and I love 'em.

Now watch the iPad mini with retina display come out in a few months. Then I'll have even more tablets! :D

FirstNTenderbit
Aug 2, 2013, 02:15 PM
Meaningless data. This report shows shipments. Remember that Microsoft shipped a huge number of Surface tablets and just wrote most of them off as no-sale. Samsung did the same thing last year.

Meaningful data is sales and customer satisfaction. What are people buying and what will they rebuy when the time comes to upgrade.

Another meaningful data set is users - Apple tablets, including the iPodTouch which is really a micro-mini-tablet, get resold and passed down so that a higher percentage stay in use as opposed to other types where they get trashed.

I am not sure I understand what point you're trying to make. IF you're saying everyone else shows shipped when Apple counts sales, unfortunately you are wrong. What Apple calls 'sales' or 'sold' is exactly the same thing everyone else reports as shipped.

Source? Apple's own SEC filings.

All the other meaningful data sets you mention are irrelevant to the specific topic. The study is directly addressing one thing while you are addressing totally different things. Not to say those things aren't important. They just don't relate to the topic of the post.

bgillander
Aug 2, 2013, 02:16 PM
Guess what though? That doesn't matter. This is about sales.

Actually, it is about shipments.

ghettochris
Aug 2, 2013, 02:28 PM
I was just stuck in an airport for 3 days, and 9/10 phones I saw were iphones, and probably even higher a percentage of tablets were ipads. From this data, you'd think it would be 4/10 tablets would be ipads, but that's not how it was. I wonder if I was riding the greyhound bus or something it would be different, that the only reason people choose them is cheap price.

samcraig
Aug 2, 2013, 02:38 PM
Actually, it is about shipments.

regardless - the point is pretty much the same. Unless you think that millions of tablets are going from Samsung/etc directly into landfill. Because there's no way all of these stores have stockrooms that can indefinitely hold all of these tablets.

----------

that the only reason people choose them is cheap price.

utter nonsense

FirstNTenderbit
Aug 2, 2013, 02:43 PM
I was just stuck in an airport for 3 days, and 9/10 phones I saw were iphones, and probably even higher a percentage of tablets were ipads. From this data, you'd think it would be 4/10 tablets would be ipads, but that's not how it was. I wonder if I was riding the greyhound bus or something it would be different, that the only reason people choose them is cheap price.

Your post made me laugh.:D Thanks for that. What if all of the other people had their HTC One's in their pocket because their self esteem was high enough they didn't need validation from total strangers seeing their phones? Then your observations would be rendered moot.

I am just kidding. But my supposition is equally as likely as yours.

Oletros
Aug 2, 2013, 03:52 PM
Samsung did the same thing last year.

When did Samsung that.

And a company can ship more and more items quarter after quarter and not sold a big chunk of them? Really?

Do you know where are located those secret warehouses full of smartphones and tables not sold?

Explicitic
Aug 2, 2013, 09:42 PM
Games, eBooks, Films, TV, etc.

Who buys a tablet just to surf the web? The screen's too small on most tablets.

Most Android browsers' default user agent isn't even Android. That's the biggest reason as to why there is such low web usage stats for the OS.

Winfahl
Aug 2, 2013, 11:24 PM

So at 22.6%, the "others" beat Samsung for the largest percent. By the chart, they have to be made up of manufacturers with a market share of less than 4.3% each. Sounds like a bunch of cheap generic tablets. I remember seeing a tablet for $79 as Black Friday door buster at our local home improvement store last year.

spicynujac
Aug 3, 2013, 01:34 AM
Source?

Well the source I'm looking at is the link in the article to the chitika survey that shows 84.3% of tablet activity as ipad, with 5.7% Amazon Fire and 4.2% Samsung. It's interesting that Amazon is #2, when it is so far behind Samsung in sales. The non-use of Samsung tablets on the web is the most shocking data in that chart.

Look, personally, I prefer iOS and this may be a really silly, superficial thing, but i just hate the way the screen jitters on Android when you flip back and forth among your icons, where ios is smooth and crisp. Android also doesn't seem as "clean" and simple to me. Then there are issues with software updates and the shorter lifespan of the product vs apple who tends to support models for much longer. And a lack of Android tablet apps. Better manufacturing quality and components used in Apple (ie battery).

That being said, I own ONE Apple product and am not tied to any brand. I regularly read the new reviews of tablets as they come out, as I did the Nexus 7. I will buy whatever I deem the better device. But look, I think ios is superior to Android. Android may have more features, but ios is just what I prefer. Kind of like how some people prefer Windows 7 to Windows 8 (like me). It's just a better OS. The Nexus 7 interested me. I read some reviews that unless you get a data plan you can't really use it as a GPS, which turned me off. It's a nice product, and I'll wait until the next ipad mini comes out before I make my decision. But as of today I'd rather have the mini than anything else. What are these tablets you say are "better than the ipad"? They are ALL cheaper than the ipad, so if there is a better one, why isn't it in first place?

Picka
Aug 3, 2013, 05:11 AM
Well the source I'm looking at is the link in the article to the chitika survey that shows 84.3% of tablet activity as ipad, with 5.7% Amazon Fire and 4.2% Samsung. It's interesting that Amazon is #2, when it is so far behind Samsung in sales. The non-use of Samsung tablets on the web is the most shocking data in that chart.

Web usage is irrelevant.

As an example, I recently bought an Asus Memo Tab (10") for my parents who can barely use a computer. It was mainly to view pictures and videos. At 250, it's better than an ipad (for watching videos/pictures) because it has a micro sd slot and it's about half the price. The interface was very smooth (Running 4.1) and they only needed to learn how to navigate through the Gallery app.

They will never go online with it, yet according to some people here, the tab will be gathering dust as it's not shown on web usage graphs... Android is a seriously powerful OS, and it can be configured to be as easy to use as anything out there, that's the beauty of it.

The reality is that very few people need the very best tablets for their normal uses. An iPad or a Nexus 10 is simply overkill for most people, especially when a 250 tablet can do the basics so well. That's the reason why so many people are picking Android tablets, it can do what they want at a price they can afford. Not everyone needs to have the latest and greatest to feel validated or part of some elite group.

ValSalva
Aug 3, 2013, 07:20 AM
But what about web usage?

This shows that a lot of lousy tablets are purchased that spend most of their lives sitting in drawers and closets.

egoistaxx9
Aug 3, 2013, 01:46 PM
see it like this: it's one company vs many android tablets makers. all of us know that, if apple was giving iOS to other companies to make tablets, iOS tablets would be unbeatable.

Gigaman
Aug 3, 2013, 06:52 PM
Oh, it's only shipments.

PracticalMac
Aug 4, 2013, 11:55 AM
People do not see the service behind the iPad

Most people see the $ sign, and see an iPad is $$$ more, so go cheap.

Tablets are no linger a luxury, price competition is fierce. People buy $70 tablets simply because it IS a tablet.

If apple wants to sell for more then the average tablet, they must emphasize all the included services one gets, because on hardware alone, Apple will loose big.

Michael Scrip
Aug 4, 2013, 12:43 PM
People do not see the service behind the iPad

Most people see the $ sign, and see an iPad is $$$ more, so go cheap.

Tablets are no linger a luxury, price competition is fierce. People buy $70 tablets simply because it IS a tablet.

If apple wants to sell for more then the average tablet, they must emphasize all the included services one gets, because on hardware alone, Apple will loose big.

Apple already sells every iPad they can make.

Apple doesn't need a write-down or firesale to clear unsold inventory like other companies (RIM, Microsoft, HP)

Sure it would be nice if Apple sold more iPads... but they're doing OK

You realize they're the #1 tablet manufacturer... right?

PracticalMac
Aug 4, 2013, 01:44 PM
Apple already sells every iPad they can make.

Apple doesn't need a write-down or firesale to clear unsold inventory like other companies (RIM, Microsoft, HP)

Sure it would be nice if Apple sold more iPads... but they're doing OK

You realize they're the #1 tablet manufacturer... right?

At one time Apple was the #1 PC maker too.
A lot of help that was.
(Almost all PC makers ran Windows, and compared to OS, the Mac was a tiny minority. )

Also, the reason Apple sells all the iPads it makes is because they cut back on production (see some past MR reports).

The Lifestyle ads are nice but they don't tell the VALUE you get.
Right now people look at what they get for the $, and they see some non-iPad tablets that seem to have most of the same or better features for HUNDRES of $ less then iPad.

It's The 90's Mac Sys 7 vs Windows all over again, but his time there is no Jobs to change the world again.

mrsir2009
Aug 4, 2013, 02:26 PM

They're probably domestic brands in places like China, India and South America that no-one from the west would have ever heard about.

Michael Scrip
Aug 4, 2013, 02:46 PM
At one time Apple was the #1 PC maker too.
A lot of help that was.
(Almost all PC makers ran Windows, and compared to OS, the Mac was a tiny minority. )

Also, the reason Apple sells all the iPads it makes is because they cut back on production (see some past MR reports).

The Lifestyle ads are nice but they don't tell the VALUE you get.
Right now people look at what they get for the $, and they see some non-iPad tablets that seem to have most of the same or better features for HUNDRES of $ less then iPad.

It's The 90's Mac Sys 7 vs Windows all over again, but his time there is no Jobs to change the world again.

So what if Apple is not the #1 PC maker? It's not a contest.

If there was a contest... Apple would have been out of the game years ago. The Mac will never "beat" Windows.

But clearly the Mac has a market and people are buying them. Stores do not have to send back unsold Macs.

On the other hand... RIM, HP and Microsoft made tablets that NO ONE WANTED. And they had to get rid of them at a huge loss. That's a big problem for them.

Apple doesn't have to worry about unsold iPads. So what if Apple trims production once in a while? At least they know they can still sell them. Apple is one of the few companies that is in-tune with its supply.

I understand what you're saying. In the general sense... people are buying more cheap tablets than Apple iPads.

But my point is... the iPad is still a valid business... even if the other guys sell more.

And let's be honest... are those $70 tablets you mentioned earlier really a threat to Apple?

PracticalMac
Aug 4, 2013, 03:04 PM
And let's be honest... are those $70 tablets you mentioned earlier really a threat to Apple?

Actually they are.

The sad fact is, developers base plans on numbers, and when they see a much larger % of Android tabs on market, no matter how useless, they get the false belief it is the best platform to develop on, due to market share.

I am not saying apple needs to make $150, let alone $70, tablets, just they need to adjust price down some (few tens $) as the average tablet price in general plummets.

Also, the loss of market share recently seems to be accelerating.

$50 drop in iOS stuff will Keep customer attention and strong sales, especially after the back order is filled.

Anyway.

Michael Scrip
Aug 4, 2013, 03:41 PM
Actually they are.

The sad fact is, developers base plans on numbers, and when they see a much larger % of Android tabs on market, no matter how useless, they get the false belief it is the best platform to develop on, due to market share.

I am not saying apple needs to make $150, let alone $70, tablets, just they need to adjust price down some (few tens $) as the average tablet price in general plummets.

$50 drop in iOS stuff will Keep customer attention and strong sales, especially after the back order is filled.

Anyway.

So... more Android tablet market share means more developers will target Android tablets?

Hmmmm... the complete opposite has been demonstrated on smartphones.

The iPhone's market share has trailed behind Android phones for years. Yet developers still target the iPhone first.

Hell... the last number I saw in smartphones was:

80% Android
13% iPhone

Will developers suddenly rush to target that huge amount of Android users?

No... because developers know that most of that huge number is made up of absolutely terrible phones sold in developing nations. You can't go by market share alone.

It's the same with tablets. More Android tablets on the market (including cheap tablets) will not have the effect you think it will.

Pop quiz... which of the following is more valuable to a developer?

A. Ten iPads
B. Ten garbage tablets at $70

Bottom line... developers are not getting fooled by Android market share numbers. They're smarter than that.

And let's be clear on what market share means: It's all the product from all manufacturers sold in a given quarter.

Yes... Apple's "share" number has been going down... chiefly because of all the garbage tablets pumped out into the market.

And that's supposed to be Apple's fault?

I think you're putting too much faith in that market share number. It honestly doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things.

I've said this before: Market share makes a nice headline... but there's not a compelling story after that.

gnasher729
Aug 4, 2013, 05:06 PM

Kindle Fires _are_ used as eBook readers. Of course by having a colour LCD screen like the iPad, the Kindle Fire loses the advantage of the "normal" Kindle; the ability to read it in bright sunlight and the battery life. I guess people buy it because it is more expensive than the Kindle, so people think it must be better.

MattInOz
Aug 4, 2013, 06:50 PM
They're probably domestic brands in places like China, India and South America that no-one from the west would have ever heard about.

So developers outside of those counties aren't likely to be able to sell software to those users anyway?

hchung
Aug 4, 2013, 10:53 PM
Actually they are.

Anyway.

Developers base plans on numbers, indeed.
But there's plenty more relevant numbers than simply market share.

Installed base: Because the actual number of usable devices that could run your software on each platform matters.

Device usage statistics: Because if you targeted 1st gen Nexus 7 users as your primary customer base, you just found out that all the ones who actually heavily used their devices degraded them to the point of uselessness 6 months after buying them. (Fixed in 4.3)

Buying habits: Because if you thought you'd get consumer desktop software to sell on Linux, you'd find out buying habit matters.

Development costs: Because if it turns out you need 3x the development team headcount in order to make an Android app that's not even feature parity (BBC), that might need more consideration for some companies.

I fully expected Apple's tablet and phone marketshare to go down. You simply need other competitors to appear and the market to widen up. But by itself, marketshare isn't meaningful enough to make decisions on.

PracticalMac
Aug 5, 2013, 10:04 AM
I've said this before: Market share makes a nice headline...

BINGO!

I mostly agree with everything you say, but when headlines tout Android as the most popular mobile OS, for the population at large the perception is Android is the way to go.

Yes, yes, absolutly, any developer worth a damm will quickly see how much better iOS is, but there is a lot who do not.

Despite everything, Stalin is right: "Quantity has its own quality".

FightTheFuture
Aug 5, 2013, 10:10 AM
Source?

----------

http://www.cultofmac.com/233063/ipads-web-usage-share-hits-5-month-high/#

People use the iPad like crazy. I've used acer Samsung and kindle tablets, besides netflix there really isn't anything setting itself apart from a bigger galaxy phone.

People have to remember that the iPod was dwarfed by thousands of other MP3 players on the market but people still primarily bought the iPod. It really doesn't matter what the marketshare is, as long as apple keeps selling 15-20million iPads a quarter the iPad will continue to dominate. Also keep in mind that the last new iPads were released in October.

PracticalMac
Aug 5, 2013, 10:15 AM
Developers base plans on numbers, indeed.
But there's plenty more relevant numbers than simply market share.

Installed base: Because the actual number of usable devices that could run your software on each platform matters.

Device usage statistics: Because if you targeted 1st gen Nexus 7 users as your primary customer base, you just found out that all the ones who actually heavily used their devices degraded them to the point of uselessness 6 months after buying them. (Fixed in 4.3)

Buying habits: Because if you thought you'd get consumer desktop software to sell on Linux, you'd find out buying habit matters.

Development costs: Because if it turns out you need 3x the development team headcount in order to make an Android app that's not even feature parity (BBC), that might need more consideration for some companies.

I fully expected Apple's tablet and phone marketshare to go down. You simply need other competitors to appear and the market to widen up. But by itself, marketshare isn't meaningful enough to make decisions on.

I (also) mostly agree with everything you say, but when headlines tout Android as the most popular mobile OS, for the population at large the perception is Android is the way to go.

I am sure one can find endless examples of companies who had huge programer departments to write and support Windows apps, but a tiny number to support Mac. I even know of one company that had one coder do Mac part of time, and a volunteer fix bugs the coder did not have time to fix.

The fact is, companies are more then ready to hire larger number of programmers to make working apps on a crappy platform simply because it is the dominant platform.

Numbers (market share) DO matter.

hchung
Aug 5, 2013, 11:42 AM
I (also) mostly agree with everything you say, but when headlines tout Android as the most popular mobile OS, for the population at large the perception is Android is the way to go.

I am sure one can find endless examples of companies who had huge programer departments to write and support Windows apps, but a tiny number to support Mac. I even know of one company that had one coder do Mac part of time, and a volunteer fix bugs the coder did not have time to fix.

The fact is, companies are more then ready to hire larger number of programmers to make working apps on a crappy platform simply because it is the dominant platform.

Numbers (market share) DO matter.

I too agree with most things you say. But while companies are hiring more Android developers these days, it doesn't hurt iOS users as long as most companies continue to develop on iOS first and make the iOS app better. Small companies can't afford to target a platform that, in general, costs more and brings in less profit. Until Android's SDK improves greatly, I don't see that changing.

Heck, last week, I downloaded the Windows Phone SDK to take a peek. Having an audience grateful for any apps at all, with a less difficult development environment, might be enough of a win for me for side projects.

blitzer09x87
Aug 7, 2013, 06:44 PM
so what, it's not about the quantity, it's about the quality. it would be more fair to compare ipad with just one other company's particular tablet, not with the whole android gang

Oletros
Aug 10, 2013, 05:35 AM

All of the Android development need 3x of the people needed to do iOS development?

Apart of the BBC case, can you show any case more?