Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BounouGod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
What kind of difference should i expect from the 2012 to 2013 model of the mini? And how would it compare to a rMBP while connected to a thunderbolt display?

I am on the fence between getting the base 2012 mini used on CL or Kijiji for 400-450$ or waiting for the new one to get released.

The main purpose of the mini will be to act as a server for my large iTunes library and all the stuff that comes with that, handbreak, etc...

Currently the job is being handled by my rMBP and as a result the computer spends most of its time hooked up to my thunderbolt display and numerous external hard drives.

As a result i want to "liberate" my laptop so i can actually use it as a portable computer.

I tend to upgrade fairly regularly but this is not something i want to be doing for this Mini, i need something that will do the job for 5+ years and since i am planning on getting a 4K tv in the next two years i would like it to be able to handle 4K as well, is that even doable?

Is it worth waiting for?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
The same bumps in graphics as we saw in the airs. (HD 4000 to HD 5000). I dont think it will make any difference when connected to the display. (definitely no difference if its a 13" rMBP since they have the same graphics as the mini).

No idea on the 4k support tho

BounouGod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
The same bumps in graphics as we saw in the airs. (HD 4000 to HD 5000). I dont think it will make any difference when connected to the display. (definitely no difference if its a 13" rMBP since they have the same graphics as the mini).

Should of specified, its the 15 inch rMBP and when it's connected to the thunderbolt display i still use the display on the lapto also.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
HD 5000, for sure on the base model.

Possibly Iris Pro (HD 5200) on the higher end or BTO model.

The thing is the base model Mini tracks the base model 13" MBP, but chips with Iris Pro graphics are 47W and higher, which is beyond the 35W TDP limit of the 13" MBP - not to mention more costly. So, next year with the die shrink of Haswell things should get more interesting.

Also, I'm pretty sure HD 4000 already supports 4K. I remember reading something about it months ago. It was a driver update Intel issued. I could be wrong.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Thunderbolt 2.
----------

----------

But mini have the quad inside option^^.

Last edited:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The current HDMI 1.4 connector is capable of 4K, but only at 24 FPS. The upcoming HDMI 2.0 will support 4K at higher frame rates, and perhaps better colour profiles or other improved features that you may need for future 4K content. The release date for 2.0 has not been announced.

4K is also possible through Thunderbolt, but I don't know of a TV that supports that connector (the mythical Apple TV set is the most likely scenario for one having it in the future). Plus Thunderbolt is not guaranteed to adopt any future 4K copy protection systems.

Don't expect a Mac Mini or any other device on the market to be future proof for 4K. But don't rule them all out either.

BounouGod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
The current HDMI 1.4 connector is capable of 4K, but only at 24 FPS. The upcoming HDMI 2.0 will support 4K at higher frame rates, and perhaps better colour profiles or other improved features that you may need for future 4K content. The release date for 2.0 has not been announced.

4K is also possible through Thunderbolt, but I don't know of a TV that supports that connector (the mythical Apple TV set is the most likely scenario for one having it in the future). Plus Thunderbolt is not guaranteed to adopt any future 4K copy protection systems.

Don't expect a Mac Mini or any other device on the market to be future proof for 4K. But don't rule them all out either.

The mini would be the server and the actual content would be streamed to whatever version of the apple TV supported 4K at that time, assuming that ever happens.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The mini would be the server and the actual content would be streamed to whatever version of the apple TV supported 4K at that time, assuming that ever happens.

Oh right. So the 2013 Mac Mini is likely to be better for you if you will be doing it wirelessly as it will probably have 802.11ac wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.