PDA

View Full Version : Is the SSD on the 2013 MBA upgradable?

Shadow-Man4
Aug 2, 2013, 02:56 PM
I know that the RAM is built into the system, but is the SSD upgradable? Like can I get a 128GB SSD base model and change it later?

bravenewmac
Aug 2, 2013, 02:59 PM
nope sir

Weaselboy
Aug 2, 2013, 03:01 PM
Yes... you can open up the Air and there is just a screw holding it in, so you can remove it and put a new, larger one in. The problem is at this point nobody makes a replacement.

OWC made one for previous models like this one (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Air_2012) for the 2012 model. But the 2013 uses a different hardware layout, so the old model will not work.

I did read on the OWC site they are working on a new version that will fit your 2013 Air but they have not announced a ETA.

scaredpoet
Aug 2, 2013, 03:27 PM
Bottom line: not upgradeable as of today, but probably will be upgradeable soon via vendors like OWC. The module itself is removable and assuming vendors make PCIe SSD modules, should be easily replaced/upgraded. it's just a matter of vendors making the SSD in that form factor, with that connector.

magbarn
Aug 2, 2013, 03:28 PM
Considering that OWC's SSD prices are higher than if you just bought the higher capacity SSD in the first place shows that you should buy or save up to get the storage capacity you NEED RIGHT NOW. Yes, they are technically upgradable, but it's not financially wise.

Shadow-Man4
Aug 2, 2013, 03:30 PM
but it's not financially wise.

Maybe not today, but in 3 years time, who knows how cheap those will become. I'm talking about the future, not currently. ;)

magbarn
Aug 2, 2013, 03:47 PM
Maybe not today, but in 3 years time, who knows how cheap those will become. I'm talking about the future, not currently. ;)

Well, since OWC has a monopoly on these Apple Proprietary drives they like to charge $100 to $200 more than other SSD drives in the standard 2.5" form factor. For example for the 3 year old 2010 MBA with their proprietary SSD's, OWC will charge you a whopping $550 for 480GB of SSD. Meanwhile, it's common to find 512gb SSD's for less than $350.

robvas
Aug 2, 2013, 09:50 PM
I know that the RAM is built into the system, but is the SSD upgradable? Like can I get a 128GB SSD base model and change it later?

The OEM ones will show up eBay soon enough.