PDA

View Full Version : I like to take things slow.......

vniow
Dec 23, 2002, 07:00 PM
I'm a switcher of two types.
Read on.

I've been a PC owner and builder ever since I built up a 233Mhz Cyrix from scratch years ago. It's been upgraded a few times and I've been satisfied with it up to now.

But then I saw the Cube.

For some reason I developed a little obsession over that cute little computer and attempted to learn all I could about it.

One thing led to another and before you knew it, I was deep in Apple-land and I didn't even realize it.
At that time I had Win98 on my PC and it was notoriously crash happy. I then read about MS's latest OS (XP) which was supposed to be a lot more stable so I got it.
And then my eyes were opened.

I never liked the idea of activation so I spend many wasted hours trying (and succeding) to crack it.
It ended up being a very reliable and stable OS, but as time went on, I learned more and more about MS's policies and became more uncomfortable with the idea of using one of their products daily.

So I decided to check out Linux.

After many failed attempts at getting the most basic of things working under Mandrake 8.2, I ended up wiping it and going back to XP.

A few months later a 300Mhz Blueberry iBook came up for sale right here on MR. I talked to my parents about it and they agreed that it would be a good investment to have when I move out. So I bought my first Mac! (still Cubeless)
But I wasn't done with my PC yet.

I had learned of this company called Lindows.com that was attempting to run Windows software on Linux. Interested, I looked up as much info as I could and decided to give it a shot after 2.0 was released.
My CD arrived in the mail and I installed it on a seperate hard drive and gave it a whirl. It was still a bit unstable, but much more usable than Mandrake.

I decided to wait until the final version came out to experiment with it again and I just got the 3.0 CDs in the mail a few days ago and I can now say I am on my way to becoming 100% MS free.

If it weren't for a couple of niche things, I would competely wipe XP from my hard drive and happily use Lindows and OSX.