PDA

View Full Version : DELL: "We're obviously not competing very well"

MacBytes
Nov 15, 2005, 07:02 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: DELL: "We're obviously not competing very well" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051115200211)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

zap2
Nov 15, 2005, 07:04 PM
ABout time the saw the truth!:p

Photorun
Nov 15, 2005, 07:56 PM
Wow, where does one start with this article after reading it? I mean, making fun of Dell is like fish in the barrel. Beats me why so many PC lusers actually think they make a good product in the first place.

winmacguy
Nov 15, 2005, 08:01 PM
Wow, where does one start with this article after reading it? I mean, making fun of Dell is like fish in the barrel. Beats me why so many PC lusers actually think they make a good product in the first place.
All I can say is How times have changed!:D ;)

Edit: I love this snip <For Dell’s part, they refuse to provide sales figures or market share numbers for their Dell DJ music player, which is probably a smart move. After all, if you can’t say anything nice…> Ouch!:D :cool:

Lacero
Nov 16, 2005, 02:58 AM
Too funny. They tried giving away Dell DJs on Oprah's Favorite Things. It was so funny to see Oprah make little to no mention of how it was her 'favorite' thing, when the prior year, she was gushing over the 3G iPods.

SummerBreeze
Nov 16, 2005, 02:59 AM
What, the Dell Dj isn't selling? Even with that ugly blue screen, cheap plastic casing and the backing of a company that is experiencing a steady decline in profits? Who knew!?!

Lacero
Nov 16, 2005, 03:01 AM
What, the Dell Dj isn't selling? Even with that ugly blue screen, cheap plastic casing and the backing of a company that is experiencing a steady decline in profits? Who knew!?!
Was it plastic? Haha. :p And here I thought it was made of metal.

qtip919
Nov 16, 2005, 03:07 AM
Its a dangerous thing when a company like Dell begins thinking about targeting Apple to get more investors to look their way.

Remember, there isnt some magic potion Apple uses to make products, its just simple prioritization, open minds and a bit of luck - no one over there is any more or less capable of doing great work than anyone over in Dell. The businesses are just completly different...for now...

Dell can do the exact same thing Apple does now if they want to - it will just take alot of money and restructuring the company and lots of new hiring practices, etc. etc.

I believe this looks like Dell is considering major management restructuring and "borrowing" some of Apple's process.

Dell doesnt make "bad" products...they make products that sell and are exactly what their target audience expected...(note: I have a Dell D600 laptop and its not that bad...in fact, its a lot more stable then most PCs)...its just that the hardware design is generally disgusting for Dell computers...however, most people who use my Dell laptop think its "cool"...mainly because none of them have laptops...

NickFalk
Nov 16, 2005, 06:24 AM
...no one over there is any more or less capable of doing great work than anyone over in Dell. The businesses are just completly different...for now...

Dell can do the exact same thing Apple does now if they want to - it will just take alot of money and restructuring the company and lots of new hiring practices, etc. etc.
With all due respect, that's just nonsense. While Apple is a company with its share of faults there is no doubt that they have a few things that actually seperates them from the masses.

1.) They have a CEO which seems to be a cross between a megalomaniac dictator and Walt Disney (hey wait, that's the same thing isn't it). Jobs is a CEO that actually seems to believe*in something rather than just pushing numbers around on a spreadsheet.

2.) They have a world class industrial designer in Jonathan Ive. No matter how many people you hire there are only so many geniuses around.

3.) They've been pretty bullheaded about their design philosophy the last 7 years or so, even when time's weren't as dandy as they are now.

I mean it's not like other companies haven't tried to mimic Apple. Heck Sony has a fairly strong computer design with their VAIO-series. They also have the marketing power, they just don't sell particularly well.

For Dell to actually modle themselves after Apple would mean throwing everything that have made them the worlds largest PC manufacturer on the boat. Focusing on design rather than quantity/price is bound to increase expenditure which means the hardware will have to retail at a higher price-point. They can't really differenciate between a "design-label" and a "bargain-label" as you can't build a brand to include these two polar oposites at the same time.

So Dell's problem is that they will always be forced to charge lower than then next company, something that I believe will eventually force them to move almost all of their business to Asia.

Apple will never be able to sell the amounts of computers Dell are, as their whole business-model is catered towards a higher cost/better design market. A niché with the possibility of treat financial rewards if you do right, as Apple obviously are doing at the moment.

Apple could wind up in trouble if a few of the following things happened:
1.) Their designs just didn't register with the buyers for a prolonged time.
2.) Their marketshare dipped so low that the press simply didn't bother with them anymore causing a downwards spiral to bankruptcy.

Sun Baked
Nov 16, 2005, 07:56 AM
Apple will never be able to sell the amounts of computers Dell are, as their whole business-model is catered towards a higher cost/better design market. A niché with the possibility of treat financial rewards if you do right, as Apple obviously are doing at the moment.

Apple could wind up in trouble if a few of the following things happened:
1.) Their designs just didn't register with the buyers for a prolonged time.
2.) Their marketshare dipped so low that the press simply didn't bother with them anymore causing a downwards spiral to bankruptcy.Everybody has been about market share the past decade in the computer business, cutting costs and waging price wars.

It's been a ugly business to be a PC company.

Apple really hasn't been fighting a price war, and they've been losing a lot of key corporate and school contracts as a result -- to Dell's glee.

If Apple keeps with their premium machines and slots in a x86 Mini a eMac at a slightly lower price and a new rugged entry level notebooks and accessories, Dell will feel some pain.

iGary
Nov 16, 2005, 08:01 AM
You certainly cannot beat the pricing, though - and yes, I know, you get what you pay for.

I was pricing out a server and RAID combo for a Web project I'm working on and Dell had Apple beat in price by about 6 grand. Hard to try and get a customer to swallow that.

Apple
Nov 16, 2005, 08:22 AM
That DJ is so hilarious. My friend bought one so I was thinking it might be alright, because she is pretty smart. So I went to her house and saw the thing and was almost blown away. The thing is HUGE!

Garcia
Nov 16, 2005, 08:30 AM
You certainly cannot beat the pricing, though - and yes, I know, you get what you pay for.

I was pricing out a server and RAID combo for a Web project I'm working on and Dell had Apple beat in price by about 6 grand. Hard to try and get a customer to swallow that.

I've been weighing up my new machine and the quad beat apples offering by about 3/4k. Did you find the same before buying your dual 2.7?

Get alot more for your money with apple too.

cwtnospam
Nov 16, 2005, 10:52 AM
I've been weighing up my new machine and the quad beat apples offering by about 3/4k. Did you find the same before buying your dual 2.7?

Get alot more for your money with apple too.
If you're just going to compare the cost of the boxes, Dell will certainly look cheaper. Total cost is another matter. There's normal support costs, where the Mac wins, then there's security costs, where the Mac blows the Dell away, and then there's the huge expense when the security fails. That last one might be an equal expense (probably not: the damage would likely be less on the Mac) in both cases, but you are much less likely to face it if you have a Mac. IMHO, if you're running a business, a $10,000 savings on the price of the box isn't enough to justify the Dell.