PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs nominated for Time's "Person of the Year"

MacBytes
Nov 15, 2005, 07:15 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Polls
Link: Steve Jobs nominated for Time's "Person of the Year" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051115201511)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

zap2
Nov 15, 2005, 07:21 PM
gets my vote:p

WAT!!! JOobs is tied with Condoleezza Rice and Bush. That crazy talk. A JK Rowling is winniing! I'm hurt, The Google Guys,Mother Nature, Bono are all beat Jobs!

bluebomberman
Nov 15, 2005, 07:23 PM
Hope people remember that it goes to the most "newsworthy" person, not necessarily the most loved. Which is why our esteemed American president was last year's Person of the Year.

EDIT: From the site (they said it better than I can):
TIME's Person of the Year is the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or for ill, and embodied what was important about the year. Who do you think fits the bill this year?

joepunk
Nov 15, 2005, 07:26 PM
I wish that in the Poll results Mother nature was ahead of Bono. She/it has a much more demanding job every year (or is is a career?).

Anyway, I voted for Mr. Jobs himself.

bluebomberman
Nov 15, 2005, 07:29 PM
I wish that in the Poll results Mother nature was ahead of Bono.

Wow. Didn't see Mother Nature.

Now that's pretty sad, actually; actual people please! Is Santa Claus going to win next year? Geez.

katie ta achoo
Nov 15, 2005, 07:29 PM
Oh man.. Apple v. Google.. I don't know what to do!

I loves me the google, but I also loves me the Apple!

/*pulls out hair*
//*votes for....*
///GOOGLE
////yea, apple is awesome and stuff
/////but you do not compete with google

bluebomberman
Nov 15, 2005, 07:31 PM
I would vote for Michael Brown if he was nominated. Seriously.

"For good or ill" indeed...

EGT
Nov 15, 2005, 07:35 PM
Oh man.. Apple v. Google.. I don't know what to do!

I loves me the google, but I also loves me the Apple!

/*pulls out hair*
//*votes for....*
///GOOGLE
////yea, apple is awesome and stuff
/////but you do not compete with google

You could argue without apple would you have google? Unless you use windows (or another OS), in which case, you automatically have to vote for Steve.

2%!?

katie ta achoo
Nov 15, 2005, 07:36 PM
You could argue without apple would you have google? Unless you use windows (or another OS), in which case, you automatically have to vote for Steve.

2%!?

wait.. what?
This is just.. *WOOSH* I don't understand a word of what just went on!

/I voted for google
//THAT'S RIGHT!
///Dude, they should have nominated "katrina"
////they could take my pic for that.
/////is named Katrina

Nermal
Nov 15, 2005, 07:42 PM
"The Google Guys" is not a person, so how can you vote for it? :confused:

bluebomberman
Nov 15, 2005, 07:43 PM
wait.. what?

/I voted for google
//THAT'S RIGHT!
///Dude, they should have nominated "katrina"
////they could take my pic for that.
/////is named Katrina

Uh, I don't understand your recap, so I guess we're even.

By the way, I looked through past covers...1982 was the computer (Machine of the Year) and 1988 was the endangered planet Earth (Planet of the Year), so I guess Mother Nature would not be unprecedented.

bluebomberman
Nov 15, 2005, 07:44 PM
"The Google Guys" is not a person, so how can you vote for it? :confused:

2002 were three whistle blowers; 2003 were American troops.

Two Google Guys wouldn't be any worse than Mother Nature.

EGT
Nov 15, 2005, 07:45 PM
wait.. what?

I tend to have that affect on people.

VOTE STEVE!

bluebomberman
Nov 15, 2005, 07:48 PM
As much as I love Mr. Jobs, I don't think he's changed the world enough this year to get Person of the Year.

EGT
Nov 15, 2005, 07:59 PM
As much as I love Mr. Jobs, I don't think he's changed the world enough this year to get Person of the Year.

But from that list?

I suppose JK Rowling would defiantly have "changed" the world ... every year since 2000 (or whatever) until gods knows when harry potter ends.

bluebomberman
Nov 15, 2005, 08:09 PM
But from that list?

It's a pretty medicore list, truth be told. That said, I'll be pretty upset if J.K Rowling gets Person of the Year. I don't think the world would look much different without her books.

winmacguy
Nov 15, 2005, 08:09 PM
I tend to have that affect on people.

VOTE STEVE!
You sound like me, 10 years ago:eek: :p

winmacguy
Nov 15, 2005, 08:12 PM
Wow JK Rowling got a lot of votes! There must be a lot of Harry Potter fans online :eek:

Santaduck
Nov 15, 2005, 08:15 PM
JK Rowling winning by a large margin, Jobs w/3%.

Slytherin > Gryffindor

dontmatter
Nov 15, 2005, 08:55 PM
Hope people remember that it goes to the most "newsworthy" person, not necessarily the most loved. Which is why our esteemed American president was last year's Person of the Year.

EDIT: From the site (they said it better than I can):
TIME's Person of the Year is the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or for ill, and embodied what was important about the year. Who do you think fits the bill this year?

Given that... I don't know, Karl Rove or Dick Cheny? This has pretty much been the year of the world going to hell, on many different levels.

Seasought
Nov 15, 2005, 08:59 PM
Hmm...Steve isn't doing so well so far... :(

dornoforpyros
Nov 15, 2005, 09:17 PM
stupid harry potter.

Meh I voted for the google guys. Come on, their IPO release was better than anything apple did this year. Let's face it, since the original iPod apple hasn't done anything revolutionary. Evolutionary, sure, but nothing ground breaking.

kev0476
Nov 15, 2005, 09:28 PM
still jk rowling hasn't done that much for the world, yea she has made some great books but there is so much more going on in the world, come on harry potter?!? :confused:

me_94501
Nov 16, 2005, 12:38 AM
Looks like we've made *some* impact; Jobs is up to 5%.

dubbz
Nov 16, 2005, 01:01 AM
The Harry Potter fans seems to be out in force.

Personally, I voted for Mother Nature. She's been very busy this year. I think someone pissed her off.

irmongoose
Nov 16, 2005, 04:18 AM
Although I would like to say that the people who voted for JK Growling are idiots, the overlying fact is that the the ones at Time Magazine who made that list are the idiots.

irmongoose

ntg
Nov 16, 2005, 05:41 AM
Personally, I voted for Mother Nature. She's been very busy this year. I think someone pissed her off.

Probably your illustrious 'Bush', who seems to think he has enough trees in the Whitehouse grounds to cancel out all the polution he kicks out (mostly from his orifices!!)

Nig.

zap2
Nov 16, 2005, 05:55 AM
stupid harry potter.

Let's face it, since the original iPod apple hasn't done anything revolutionary. Evolutionary, sure, but nothing ground breaking.

iPod Nano? I mean sure it was a *new* iPod but it size was revolutionary!

Jaffa Cake
Nov 16, 2005, 06:21 AM
From the site (they said it better than I can):
TIME's Person of the Year is the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or for ill, and embodied what was important about the year. Who do you think fits the bill this year?Granted, a lot of people queued up to buy her book but the person who 'most affected the news and our lives... and embodied what was important about the year'? Can't see it myself...

Deepdale
Nov 16, 2005, 06:55 AM
[QUOTE=dubbz]Personally, I voted for Mother Nature. She's been very busy this year. I think someone pissed her off.[QUOTE]

A vote for Mother Nature makes perfect sense given the continuous barrage of weather related catastrophes and natural disasters around the world. Considering the aging of the baby boomer generation and graying of America, maybe next year Father Time will at least be nominated.

Seasought
Nov 16, 2005, 09:21 AM
Although I would like to say that the people who voted for JK Growling are idiots, the overlying fact is that the the ones at Time Magazine who made that list are the idiots.

Does that in turn imply those who participate in the voting are idiots as well? ;)

bluebomberman
Nov 16, 2005, 10:41 AM
Does that in turn imply those who participate in the voting are idiots as well? ;)

Who's the bigger idiot, the idiot that leads or the idiots who follow?
:p

Photorun
Nov 16, 2005, 10:52 AM
I don't know, Mother Nature has much over Santa Claus, after all, she's delivered a lot more gifts, albethem bad ones, to probably more people this last year between hurricanes, earthquakes, mudslides, tsunamis, I mean, all Santa has is a workshop, elves, Mrs. Claus, reindeer, and a sleigh.

Seasought
Nov 16, 2005, 10:54 AM
Who's the bigger idiot, the idiot that leads or the idiots who follow?
:p

:D

It's a toss-up. Now, if I were classified as a true 'idiot' with regard to this scenario I would say 'Why it's the ones who lead!' implying those that made the poll are at fault. :D

Frozonecold
Nov 16, 2005, 03:58 PM
We all know that Steve deserves to be person of the year, all JK Rowling did was write books. And mother nature, why vote for her she has killed millions of people this year?

dubbz
Nov 16, 2005, 04:02 PM
We all know that Steve deserves to be person of the year, all JK Rowling did was write books. And mother nature, why vote for her she has killed millions of people this year?

TIME's Person of the Year is the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or for ill

Seasought
Nov 16, 2005, 04:05 PM
And mother nature, why vote for her she has killed millions of people this year?

:D

"Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but lightning kills thousands of people every year."

Sorry, just came to mind for some reason.

zap2
Nov 16, 2005, 04:08 PM
TIME's Person of the Year is the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or for ill

Well if thats teh case i vote bill cuz he makes SUCKY OSs!!!:D

suntzu
Nov 17, 2005, 03:43 PM
Maybe we shouldn't vote for Steve.

http://www.observer.com/themediamob/2005/11/times-doomed-person-of-year.html

Seems the person who "wins" this, things go south for them.