Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guitardude092

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Hey there, last summer I bought BF3 when it was on sale for $10. When I downloaded it, my graphics card wasn't updated. After asking someone sent me this thread :https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1374810/ and it worked great. Thing is, I'm wondering would I have to download another modded driver like the one given in the link? or could i just be able to download it off the AMD catalyst detecting tool? Thanks

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
AMD's detection tool doesn't work for mobile GPUs. You'll need to download the file directly. The set that's been working best for me is 13.5 beta 3, and they're available here.

Guitardude092

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
AMD's detection tool doesn't work for mobile GPUs. You'll need to download the file directly. The set that's been working best for me is 13.5 beta 3, and they're available here.

Thanks for responding. It has been a while since I last performed the task of updating the drivers. Should I delete the current drivers then click on the link you provided and then reboot? Or is there another way its supposed to be performed.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Here is the procedure that should get you the best results:

1) Download the drivers via the link above, but do not do anything with it yet.

2) Download and install a program called Driver Fusion.

3) Uninstall your present video drivers by going into control panel, Programs and Features, and selecting AMD Catalyst from the list. Choose the option to Express uninstall all AMD software. Let the program do its thing. You will have to let it remove the drivers as well as the Catalyst install manager itself.

4) Reboot your machine when it asks, but do so in Safe Mode. To do this, hold the alt/option key on your Mac to bring up the boot menu. Select your Windows partition. When the screen goes black and you see a cursor flashing in the upper left corner of the screen, press the F8 key. This will bring up the boot menu. Select Safe Mode, and your machine will boot. As a side note, I would highly recommend having a USB mouse connected to your MBP, as sometimes the Trackpad will not work correctly in Safe Mode.

5) Once the machine has booted, run Driver Fusion via the start menu or desktop shortcut. Select "Display" from the list it gives you, then AMD. The program will scan for leftover driver files. You can delete them all. The free version of Driver Fusion does not allow for removal of old registry entries, but that's OK. Once you've removed the old files, the program should ask if you want to reboot. Do so normally (eg not Safe Mode).

6) When you're back in Windows, you can run the installation program for the file you downloaded in Step 1. Let it run, and you might have to click a couple extra times because they are a beta set and haven't been fully signed off by Microsoft. Reboot one last time, and you're done.

Guitardude092

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Here is the procedure that should get you the best results:

1) Download the drivers via the link above, but do not do anything with it yet.

2) Download and install a program called Driver Fusion.

3) Uninstall your present video drivers by going into control panel, Programs and Features, and selecting AMD Catalyst from the list. Choose the option to Express uninstall all AMD software. Let the program do its thing. You will have to let it remove the drivers as well as the Catalyst install manager itself.

4) Reboot your machine when it asks, but do so in Safe Mode. To do this, hold the alt/option key on your Mac to bring up the boot menu. Select your Windows partition. When the screen goes black and you see a cursor flashing in the upper left corner of the screen, press the F8 key. This will bring up the boot menu. Select Safe Mode, and your machine will boot. As a side note, I would highly recommend having a USB mouse connected to your MBP, as sometimes the Trackpad will not work correctly in Safe Mode.

5) Once the machine has booted, run Driver Fusion via the start menu or desktop shortcut. Select "Display" from the list it gives you, then AMD. The program will scan for leftover driver files. You can delete them all. The free version of Driver Fusion does not allow for removal of old registry entries, but that's OK. Once you've removed the old files, the program should ask if you want to reboot. Do so normally (eg not Safe Mode).

6) When you're back in Windows, you can run the installation program for the file you downloaded in Step 1. Let it run, and you might have to click a couple extra times because they are a beta set and haven't been fully signed off by Microsoft. Reboot one last time, and you're done.
I completely forgot to thank you. It worked, i had trouble at first but then got the sucker lol. Thanks again man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.