PDA

View Full Version : Another Weird Sound Problem on New 15" PowerBook

jeffcorbets
Nov 15, 2005, 08:04 PM
First, I want to say that I really do like my new PowerBook...

But, and this doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, I have a bit of a sound problem. There are times (when using Apple applications) when pressing a key makes a high-pitched squeaking noise.

Okay, here's how to recreate the problem:
1. Have any text file that is longer than the height of the screen and would require scrolling.
2. Open the file in an Apple text-editing program, i.e. XCode or TextEdit.
3. Scroll down the file until five or six of the lines that were below the screen are now visible.
4. Start typing

When I perform these steps, every keypress results in the squeaky noise. Is there a hidden preference somewhere that controls this? It only occurs in TextEdit and XCode. I've tried other programs like Microsoft Word and TeXShop and they do not exhibit this problem, which leads me to believe it might be software related?

~Jeff Corbets

mongoos150
Nov 15, 2005, 08:17 PM
Holy Cow dude I know exactly what you're talking about. It's pretty horrible. I just sent in my PB to Apple because of the lines on the screen but I'm pretty sure they will still be there when I get it back...Ugh. It's a shame these new PBs are so buggy, I should've held on to my Rev.D 1.67" PB.

ITASOR
Nov 16, 2005, 02:48 PM
I posted a thread about this the other day. My iBook and my friend's iBook both do it. Apple told me it was normal but had no explanation as to why. Mine hasn't done it in a few days now though. It doesn't really bother me at all, but mostly happens in TextEdit.

Oh, and edit: Most of the people who posted in my thread (don't remember what I titled it to search for) agreed that their iBook/pb did the same thing so you're definitely not experiencing a unique problem.

hopejr
Nov 16, 2005, 10:43 PM
Weird, mine doesn't do that.

bug
Jan 24, 2006, 06:54 PM
Apple told me it was normal but had no explanation as to why.

Apple's been pretty bad about owning up to the issues with the new PowerBooks. The lines on the screens they claim are 'in spec', the sound looping issue Apple's own support page says 'don't run multiple apps at once' - which is ridiculous considering that it happens even with just OS X system sounds, and OS X is pushed as a multi-tasking OS.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302978
http://powerbookdefect.info/

...brings the image of a man walking into an Apple store, approaches the help desk and holds up his PowerBook which is currently half way through eating a baby.

"We're sorry sir, that is within spec. Try not turning the computer on, or avoid having children."

;)

wildcard
Jan 25, 2006, 11:54 AM
I had this on both of my Rev. E/HD 15" Powerbooks. Resetting the PMU makes the squeaking go away. Curiously, it does not happen on my HD 17" at all.

Spectrum
Jan 25, 2006, 06:06 PM
Yep, happens to me when typing in certain message forums or text panes within Safari.

Interestingly, not this one - but it does do it, in of all places: The Apple Discussions forums :D