PDA

View Full Version : Screen goes blank randomly - Anyone else?

AXs
Aug 3, 2013, 05:35 AM
Hi fellow users.

I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with their screen randomly going blank at different points? It just happened to me again just now for the 2nd time today. Mostly happens when my Air is not plugged in.

It's like auto sleep or something in the middle of process.

Anyone else facing similar issues? i'm about to call support but I wanted a brief understanding of the problem first.

Thanks

EDIT: Guys, I have added a poll. Please take a second to vote so we can understand how big/common the issue is. Thank You.

keysofanxiety
Aug 3, 2013, 06:09 AM
Hi AXs,

Simply for the purpose of diagnosing the issue, would you be kind enough to go into 'Energy Saver' in System Preferences, and change the settings to never let the computer/display/hard disk sleep when on Power Adapter?

If you could briefly do this and then continue to use your computer? Therefore we can diagnose that if the issue ceases to happen, it's something to do with the power settings. Conversely, if the issue persists, it may be something hardware related, or could indicate the need to reset the PRAM or SMC.

Best wishes.

AXs
Aug 3, 2013, 06:54 AM
Thank you very much for your kind suggestion keysofanxiety, I'll do just that and continue to observe. Will post results of observation within the next 24 hours.

Really appreciate you taking time to help a fellow board member out. Best wishes.

DisplacedMic
Aug 3, 2013, 07:01 AM
Hi fellow users.

I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with their screen randomly going blank at different points? It just happened to me again just now for the 2nd time today. Mostly happens when my Air is not plugged in.

Anyone else facing similar issues? i'm about to call support but I wanted a brief understanding of the problem first.

Thanks

assuming it's not saver mode settings like keysofanxiety is trying to rule out, i suspect this is related to the SSD not playing nicely with ML.

is it just the screen sleeping or is it going to sleep? it could be trying to sleep but you're interrupting it with your next key stroke.

which reminds me, also make sure there's not a weird shortcut causing it. is there any pattern to what keys you are hitting (especially one containing the command/opt/cntrl keys) when it happens?

AXs
Aug 3, 2013, 07:41 AM
There was one instance where I just woke my screen up from sleep, and it went blank again.

It was just the screen sleeping initially, or so I thought.

But the instant it happened before I made this thread, it took about 2-3 seconds to come back, and wifi was re-connecting when screen came on.

philosopherdog
Aug 3, 2013, 07:53 AM
Sounds like expected behaviour. Like the other poster said, simply turn off the power sleep settings. Coming out of sleep the monitor can sometimes blank out if the time it goes to sleep coincides with when you wake it. Then it will wake and go to sleep immediately. This is nothing to worry about. If you are worried make a genius appointment. They're happy to have a look and explain the power settings to you at no cost except time.

TMac99
Aug 3, 2013, 08:18 AM
AXs - I have seen the same problem a few times. The screen goes black even though I was typing just a few seconds previously. I doesn't happen often - maybe only 4 or 5 times in the 3 weeks I have had my MBA. I don't recall if it is always either plugged in or on battery - I'll pay more attention to the circumstances if it happens again and try to post some details. I have the power settings to default. When it first happened I changed the Display Sleep time (on battery) from the default of 2 mins to 5 mins and that seemed to help (even though it was only 5 seconds since typing that the computer went to sleep). It may be a coincidence, but it didn't happen again until I reset the energy saver preferences back to default. I will leave them at the default setting for a while and see if it reoccurs.

kahkityoong
Aug 3, 2013, 08:32 AM
I returned two machines due to the flickering Photoshop issue and this phenomenon occurred around twice with each of the machines during the fortnight I had them. The 3rd machine I have now has never turned off in the month I've had it.

jaysen
Aug 3, 2013, 09:31 AM
Hi fellow users.

Thanks

I'm having this same issue, and it is definitely not a sleep/power saving issue.

As someone else has posted, I could be in the middle of typing, or just finished and all of a sudden the screen blacks out as if it did enter a sleep state.

I noticed, at least for me, the issue was when I was entering passwords/fields in chrome. I am attributing this problem to Chrome though... Prior to upgrading to my MBA, I was having a weird screen flicker issue when browsing pages in chrome on my MBP. After some researching I found the issue was with chrome.

Those experiencing the problem, are you only experiencing it in Chrome when browsing the web?

Here is the link;
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/chrome/report-a-problem-and-get-troubleshooting-help/mac/L1LX9gMnwa8%5B1-25-false%5D

budgynana
Aug 3, 2013, 10:06 AM
Just a consideration: Was watching a video the other day where somebody was demonstrating this and it turns out their cause was sitting the MBA on top of a case - with magnets as the closing mechanism - which was making the MBA think the screen was being closed any time there was movement or every time the user was lifting off and placing back onto the case.

peanut48
Aug 4, 2013, 03:44 AM
Oops, my less than 48 hours old MBA is doing the same thing. It not plugged in when this happens so haven't changed any sleep preferences. My MBA goes of to sleep fairly quickly and when I wake it after I enter my password, after a few seconds goes into this black screen with the mouse pointer shown. Then its once again locked. It's happened to me quite frequently today, all while I'm on the battery.

Is this of major concern?
There are no magnets around, apart from other apple devices like my iphone/ipad/old macbook but don't think they are causing any of this.

Should I contact Apple about this?

TripleMoxy
Aug 4, 2013, 04:41 AM
I'm having the same issue. I'm curious whether anyone knows the official explanation for this behaviour - perhaps somebody that's taken their machine for a genius appointment.

AXs
Aug 4, 2013, 05:00 AM
Hey guys. I'm really shocked that it is a ongoing problem with so many different people. Certainly makes me believe that this is a software issue.

I have added a poll to this thread so that we can have a real idea on how many people have actually faced this problem.

If it is such a widespread issue, maybe we can even collectively bring it up with Apple. Or maybe if we're lucky, someone from the macrumors team might notice it if it is such a widespread issue, and can bring it to Apple's attention with their awesome journalism :D

DisplacedMic
Aug 4, 2013, 06:46 AM
Sounds like expected behaviour. Like the other poster said, simply turn off the power sleep settings. Coming out of sleep the monitor can sometimes blank out if the time it goes to sleep coincides with when you wake it. Then it will wake and go to sleep immediately. This is nothing to worry about. If you are worried make a genius appointment. They're happy to have a look and explain the power settings to you at no cost except time.

i don't think what he is describing is "expected behaviour" at all. my theory is it has something to do with ML not playing well with the SSD because this happens on both my air and my old 2009 MB that i upgraded.

TripleMoxy
Aug 4, 2013, 07:05 AM
There's a long trail about this issue on the apple forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5118135?start=150&tstart=0

jaysen
Aug 5, 2013, 12:43 AM
There's a long trail about this issue on the apple forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5118135?start=150&tstart=0

Oh wow, im a little relieved that it is not just me... but saddened this a bigger problem than I expected.

My Specs; i7/8gb/256 ssd

mojay12
Aug 6, 2013, 10:04 PM
this has happened to me alot (it would go black for a few seconds and then return) on the 13.3/1.3/4/256 model

I only had it for about 12 days and then I returned it. I also experienced crackling noise in the speakers. However, I may end up repurchasing a Haswell MBA, but I hope this problem isn't a big issue, or there is a solution

calvol
Aug 7, 2013, 12:34 AM
Wow, this sounds like the random blank screen issue with the 2012 Mini, which was seen across both PCs and Macs with the HD4000. Don't know if it was ever resolved, but returned the 2012 Mini after experiencing it a few times, and bought a 2011 Mini with Radeon GPU.

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 01:07 AM
yea it sucks... but doesn't take more than a couple seconds a day tops.

not gonna make me even think of returning my mac but hopefully future software/mavericks will eliminate it.

/oh btw, anyone on mavs suffering this problem?

dr34mc4st3r
Aug 7, 2013, 10:17 AM
for some cursed reason, i have been experiencing this the past few days. utterly annoying. let's hope its due to some OS issue that Apple can issue an update for

mbafan
Aug 7, 2013, 11:00 AM
had this two times few days ago, from second time it hanged and couldnt be resumed by opening lid and pressing power button. Only after holding power button to completely switch off and then booting it, it started to work. Havent had this issue since

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 11:15 AM
had this two times few days ago, from second time it hanged and couldnt be resumed by opening lid and pressing power button. Only after holding power button to completely switch off and then booting it, it started to work. Havent had this issue since

It has never been that serious for me. The longest was like 3 seconds, and wifi was off.

I disabled powernap when plugged in, today morning Over 12 hours and nothing yet.

Force shutdown seems rough. I hope Apple is doing something about this.

jomo25
Aug 7, 2013, 11:33 AM
Having the same issue with my new MBA 11/i5 1.3GHz/4GB/256GB. Never had it with my 2011 MBA 11.

It seems to happen only when on battery only. Otherwise random. Can be mid sentence typing when it happens. I find that if I hit the Power button, it wakes up. So it's like a random going to sleep. Though I have seen sometimes I can still see the mouse cursor outline (in white against complete black background). And in those cases, power button doesnt wake it up.

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 12:01 PM
So far there are some people who get it when plugged in only, some on battery only... some from when waking from sleep...

There doesn't seem to be a pattern here. I think it is just a fault with the build.

It can't be with software, because it seems older Mac models have no such issues with the latest OS.

If it is happening to over 80% of users, it definitely is a mainstream issue.
I hope some site picks it up soon and takes it to the media... seems to be the only way that Apple will do something about it.

Has anyone contacted Apple US about this? Would love to know what they had to say.

keatre
Aug 7, 2013, 12:34 PM
It can't be with software, because it seems older Mac models have no such issues with the latest OS. (1)

If it is happening to over 80% of users(2), it definitely is a mainstream issue.
I hope some site picks it up soon and takes it to the media...

(1) - The 2013 MBA does not run the same version of 10.8 as other MacBooks, as it's specifically coded for Haswell. It very well could be and most likely is a software issue.

(2) - That's a very generous number? Where are you coming up with that? 80% users sampled, perhaps - but I am quite sure it's not 80% of units produced.

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 12:48 PM
(1) - The 2013 MBA does not run the same version of 10.8 as other MacBooks, as it's specifically coded for Haswell. It very well could be and most likely is a software issue.

(2) - That's a very generous number? Where are you coming up with that? 80% users sampled, perhaps - but I am quite sure it's not 80% of units produced.

(1) Really? Oh I didn't know that. Actually a little relief for me. It's nice to know that a software update will most likely fix this.

(2) While likely not most accurate based on circumstances, the poll at the top shows 80% of people who voted have this issue... well actually it's at around 75% now.
but to be fair, it is more likely for ppl with the issue to vote than people who aren't facing the problem.

palpatine
Aug 7, 2013, 02:15 PM
(1) Really? Oh I didn't know that. Actually a little relief for me. It's nice to know that a software update will most likely fix this.

(2) While likely not most accurate based on circumstances, the poll at the top shows 80% of people who voted have this issue... well actually it's at around 75% now.
but to be fair, it is more likely for ppl with the issue to vote than people who aren't facing the problem.

Glad to see I am not the only one with this issue. I didn't have this problem with my previous Macbook Airs, so I am inclined to think it is a software thing related to #1.

It is annoying, but doesn't happen all that often to me (once a week or so).

Jefe's MacAir
Aug 7, 2013, 02:45 PM

This. And it's fallen to 70%.

halledise
Aug 7, 2013, 05:29 PM
so, has anyone done an SMC reset to see if that rectifies the situation?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

and possibly rest of the NVRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

mbafan
Aug 7, 2013, 05:56 PM

(1) Really? :) Since when Apple started to adjust OSX for specific model of Macbook :) Maybe 10.8.4 has some support built in for haswells, but it is everywhere not only in MBA

As for SW problems one can try to install this again:http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1672

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 11:53 PM
(1) Really? :) Since when Apple started to adjust OSX for specific model of Macbook :) Maybe 10.8.4 has some support built in for haswells, but it is everywhere not only in MBA

As for SW problems one can try to install this again:http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1672

Yea thanks for clearing that up. I was utterly amazed when I heard that MBA had an exclusive OS. Didn't think it was true, still dont.

keatre
Aug 8, 2013, 01:09 AM

I did not mean 10.8 is not supported by other models, but rather the version of 10.8 on the MBA is programmed explicitly for that machine. To over simplify, you cannot take a MBA 10.8 and push it to a 2012 rMBP. Basically, 10.8 natively does NOT support Haswell, as such - Apple included a specific build for the MBA that addresses this. This is the same codestring that was updated to 'fix' the WiFi and flickering issues that were reported at launch.

Feel free to navigate to the Hackintosh sites to dig more indepth, if you would like.

mbafan
Aug 8, 2013, 02:49 AM
I did not mean 10.8 is not supported by other models, but rather the version of 10.8 on the MBA is programmed explicitly for that machine. To over simplify, you cannot take a MBA 10.8 and push it to a 2012 rMBP. Basically, 10.8 natively does NOT support Haswell, as such - Apple included a specific build for the MBA that addresses this. This is the same codestring that was updated to 'fix' the WiFi and flickering issues that were reported at launch.

Feel free to navigate to the Hackintosh sites to dig more indepth, if you would like.

wrong :) u can take OSX installation and push it to any MAC which is capable to run it (including MBA), there is no special OSX on MBA, that could not be used with other MACs, sure once installed u cannot transfer it, but it applies to any MAC, so take it easy bro :)

keatre
Aug 8, 2013, 03:00 AM
wrong :) u can take OSX installation and push it to any MAC which is capable to run it (including MBA), there is no special OSX on MBA, that could not be used with other MACs, sure once installed u cannot transfer it, but it applies to any MAC, so take it easy bro :)

Hmm, I think I responded rather calmly. While I disagree with you, we won't derail this thread with this discussion. But I do implore you to take the non-developer rMBP 10.8.X installation and throw it onto the 2013 MBA. Please post your results in a separate thread. Cheers.

mbafan
Aug 8, 2013, 05:06 AM
Hmm, I think I responded rather calmly. While I disagree with you, we won't derail this thread with this discussion. But I do implore you to take the non-developer rMBP 10.8.X installation and throw it onto the 2013 MBA. Please post your results in a separate thread. Cheers.

Please point me where I can download specific OSX release for specific machines

JailDesigner
Aug 8, 2013, 07:32 AM
It has happened to me once or twice. It suddenly got all blank and it took 10 or 20 seconds to show the desktop again, and i didn't touch anything.

DisplacedMic
Aug 8, 2013, 09:18 AM

you're the one making the claim; seems to me the onus should be on you to support it. i would be very interested to know if this is true or not as this is the first i'm hearing of it. tried a quick google search, didn't see anything. That doesn't mean you're wrong of course...

but i can tell you that i am having this exact problem on my 2009 macbook running ML in which i have installed a SSD so while there may be a glitch in MBA, it doesn't seem to be unique to the air.

i think there's something going on with how OSX plays w/ SSDs. in my case i thought maybe it was the sudden motion detection being weird (obviously not the case w/ the air) or maybe the "put disks to sleep" feature being glitchy - but i don't know.

i suppose it could be a hardware problem w/ the disk but i suspect it's software given the number of people having this problem.

Axs will tell you that 80% of the known universe is experiencing this issue. (:p i kid)

Foxer
Aug 8, 2013, 09:48 AM
I have this problem, too. Go the MBA about a month ago. Happens maybe every other day or so. Both plugged and unplugged. Just in middle of ordinary use, it all goes black. My immediate reaction is that the battery is dead, but that is never the case and it returns to normal after about 10 seconds.

There is a possibility that (as someone suggested above) it has something to do with Chrome, since I am almost always using it (and it is always open, even if in the background).

DisplacedMic
Aug 8, 2013, 09:50 AM
I have this problem, too. Go the MBA about a month ago. Happens maybe every other day or so. Both plugged and unplugged. Just in middle of ordinary use, it all goes black. My immediate reaction is that the battery is dead, but that is never the case and it returns to normal after about 10 seconds.

There is a possibility that (as someone suggested above) it has something to do with Chrome, since I am almost always using it (and it is always open, even if in the background).

same here- on all counts, including chrome.

peasant
Aug 8, 2013, 10:28 AM
been having the same problem, though it's with a 13' mba 1.7/4/128 from July 2011.

it did seem to start after upgrading to 10.8 in May. am currently using 10.8.4

the fade to black has been happening about once a week.

have changed the energy saving settings and can report back in a week.

doubt this has anything to do with it, but also had the motherboard replaced under warranty do to a "chimes of death" ram issue last winter.

AXs
Aug 8, 2013, 10:08 PM
Just wanted to share that it hasn't happened to me in a few days now.

Really can't put my finger on it. But since I extended the request password on way time frame, it rarely happens.

wannabelean
Aug 9, 2013, 12:28 AM

+2 Its only 11 hours into the day and it has happened twice. Happens atleast 2-3 on a daily basis for me in my 8-10 hours usage everyday.

AXs
Aug 9, 2013, 10:51 PM
Currently at 14 votes each. 33.33% 33.33% 33.33%

HalfLife 3 confirmed :p

tyikme
Aug 10, 2013, 06:35 AM
is there a fix coming to this problem? Or are there any available?

Nipje
Aug 10, 2013, 09:03 AM
I think i just had the issue for the first time. I plugged out the power adapter on my MacBook Air 13" 2013 and the screen went black. After that i had to login again...

I hope this is not a hardware issue :'(

peanut48
Aug 15, 2013, 10:33 AM
it got worse today. Screen went blank and when I tried to wake it, it continued to be blank. Tried everything and finally had to turn off the macbook air, after turning it on again, the macbook is now super hot, it was never hot before.

DisplacedMic
Aug 15, 2013, 12:17 PM
keeps happening to me as well. support told me to keep anything magnetic away from it - also ipads and iphones. but that's not the issue.

they suggested making another admin account and see if it keeps happening. if so they want me to fresh install the os.

we'll see how it goes.
definitely annoying

jaysen
Aug 19, 2013, 08:22 PM
Ughh, yesterday it happened more frequently than ever...!

Very, very annoying.

It seems that it was happening almost before the MBA would go to sleep or coming out of sleep... I was using Chrome throughout the whole thing but that might just be coincidental.

AXs
Aug 19, 2013, 09:48 PM
After I disabled 'put hard disk to sleep when possible' option, it has yet to happen to me.

This might work for someone else? Please try it at and see. I'm almost certain that we have pinpoint the issue.

Mochi Hana
Aug 19, 2013, 10:19 PM
it got worse today. Screen went blank and when I tried to wake it, it continued to be blank. Tried everything and finally had to turn off the macbook air, after turning it on again, the macbook is now super hot, it was never hot before.

Had this same thing happen with mine, but it wasn't hot after I restarted.

jadAce
Aug 19, 2013, 11:09 PM
Currently at 14 votes each. 33.33% 33.33% 33.33%

HalfLife 3 confirmed :p

Didn't see that one coming. :D

Joelawit
Aug 21, 2013, 09:56 AM
After I disabled 'put hard disk to sleep when possible' option, it has yet to happen to me.

This might work for someone else? Please try it at and see. I'm almost certain that we have pinpoint the issue.

I had the annoying random blinking before but after I have disabled the "put hard disk to sleep when possible" it never happened again.

Thinking about it a little, maybe putting the "HD" to sleep hasn't the same meaning for SSD drives that it has to HDD. Perhaps there is a conflict with the VM management and the sleep feature, adding the fact the SSD module in the 2013's is really different from previous models. But it's just a guess, of course.

Oh, the HDD sleeping feature is disabled on my MacAir for both Power and Battery scenarios.

AXs
Aug 21, 2013, 11:09 AM
I had the annoying random blinking before but after I have disabled the "put hard disk to sleep when possible" it never happened again.

Thinking about it a little, maybe putting the "HD" to sleep hasn't the same meaning for SSD drives that it has to HDD. Perhaps there is a conflict with the VM management and the sleep feature, adding the fact the SSD module in the 2013's is really different from previous models. But it's just a guess, of course.

Oh, the HDD sleeping feature is disabled on my MacAir for both Power and Battery scenarios.

Thanks for pointing it out. It surely is something that Apple know about, but cannot really fix at this point. Lets just hope that Mavericks will have a fix for it.

I'm certain you are right, it is an unforeseen issue based on the PCIe ssd.

Saturn1217
Aug 21, 2013, 11:34 AM
I will wait to vote until I've had my new MBA for a little longer (right now I'm almost at 24hrs)

But so far I haven't had that weird sleeping issue and I had it all the time on my 2012 MBA.

This time I was careful to do a completely clean reinstall (no migrating anything) and hopefully this will make my computer a little more stable than my last one.

bwlinux
Oct 26, 2013, 08:06 PM
Same here , Air (Mid 2013)Happened on running Mountain Lion or Mavericks. It is a very annoying problem.

AXs
Oct 27, 2013, 04:00 AM
Same here , Air (Mid 2013)Happened on running Mountain Lion or Mavericks. It is a very annoying problem.

is it still happening on mavericks?

I'm going to enable harddisk sleep to see if it still happens for me.

DisplacedMic
Oct 27, 2013, 07:06 AM
has happened to me twice since updating to 10.9 last week.

mynameis321
Oct 27, 2013, 04:35 PM
Oh wow I was going to place an order for a MBA but since hearing about this being a massive problem maybe I'll hold back

irDigital0l
Oct 27, 2013, 04:50 PM
I noticed a few times my MBA just shutting off completely.

One time I had to force it to wake up again.

----------

Oh wow I was going to place an order for a MBA but since hearing about this being a massive problem maybe I'll hold back

Its not a massive problem.

whereforart
Oct 27, 2013, 05:28 PM
It happened to me with my old MBA - in the beginning, it was only a couple of times a month and for a few seconds, but then got to the point where I had to wait for a minute or two to get the screen back. I finally had to take it to the Genius Bar, and they did a complete reset. After that it was fine, but unfortunately, it was stolen out of my home back in May.

So I got a new MBA and the same thing happens - right now it's limited to very isolated incidents, and only for a few seconds, but I worry that it will continue to get worse like the last one.

Knisse
Oct 27, 2013, 05:40 PM
I noticed a few times my MBA just shutting off completely.

One time I had to force it to wake up again.

This is what happens to me at least 5-6 times a week. It completely goes black and then i have to force turn off (hold down start button for a few seconds for it to shut off and then turn it on again)

I am going to my local Apple dealer in this week to see what is going on, definitely a problem.

irDigital0l
Oct 27, 2013, 06:15 PM
This is what happens to me at least 5-6 times a week. It completely goes black and then i have to force turn off (hold down start button for a few seconds for it to shut off and then turn it on again)

I am going to my local Apple dealer in this week to see what is going on, definitely a problem.

Hmm...

Will Apple replace it for free or what? Is it a hardware issue? Because I had this problem before updating to Mavericks.

I don't consider it massive problem, but if it continues this week, I think I may take it to an Apple Store..

Knisse
Oct 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
Hmm...

Will Apple replace it for free or what? Is it a hardware issue? Because I had this problem before updating to Mavericks.

I don't consider it massive problem, but if it continues this week, I think I may take it to an Apple Store..

I have no idea, but i think i will get a new one, since is is still within the warrenty.
If i where you, i would definitely go to where you bought it and talk to him, it might be a symptom of some deeper issues with your machine.

The women i was talking to she even admitted that it was a common issue with earlier Macbook airs, but she has not seen a newer one having these issues that often.

RolyPolyBird
Oct 29, 2013, 05:18 AM
Since upgrading to Mavericks I also am having problems, I would say my computer is going randomly into sleep mode about three times a day. Can't pinpoint anything in particular, it happens when I am busy at the computer, it has happened whilst watching a movie and it has happened whilst I was not at the computer at the time of going into sleep. Always when plugged into the power and all the energy saving settings are off.

MacBook Pro 2GHZ i7 early 2011 with 8gig ram.

Ibjr
Oct 31, 2013, 10:27 PM
Problem began in my 2013 MBA with Mavericks as well.

wannabelean
Nov 1, 2013, 06:20 AM
It was happening like 5-6 times in a day earlier before Mavericks. After Mavericks, not one single instance.

Hevelius
Nov 18, 2013, 03:26 PM
See my post at the bottom of this thread (the issue is reproducible).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18386335#post18386335

A guy called yoganinja on the apple discussion boards found the same thing as I did.. there's a way to reliably reproduce the problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5475679?start=45&tstart=0

Damhaug
Dec 27, 2013, 08:53 AM
I have same type of problem as described in this thread, but my MBA is from mid 2011.

Description of problem: Screen suddenly goes black a few seconds after waking the MBA from sleep. It started to happen after I upgraded OS to Maverics. Before Maverics I have had no problems during two years of heavy daily use.

I see this problem almost every day, but it does not happen every time waking the MBA from sleep.

I tried reseting SMC yesterday. Problem is still there.
Today, after reading this thread, I tried reseting PRAM and disabling "put HD to sleep" feature just now. The problem still did not repeat after this change, but it is far too early to tell if the problem is gone.

To me, it sounds like this issue comes in several flavors, and one variant is hitting also older MBA that are upgraded to Maverics OS.