PDA

View Full Version : MBA 13" vs Sony Vaio Pro 13"

NickPhamUK
Aug 3, 2013, 07:53 AM
I'm going to college soon, so what should I buy? They are of similar price range.

MBA
1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
Intel HD Graphics 5000
4GB memory
128GB SSD

Vaio Pro 13"
1,920 x 1,080 touchscreen display
1.5GHz dual-core Core i7 (Haswell) processor;
4GB RAM;
128GB PCIe SSD drive
1.06 kg
Windows 8 Pro
NFC enabled touchpad

I've seen them in person and they are both quality machines, well the MBA has a stronger iGPU, and nearly twice longer battery life (with similar usage), but the Vaio has a better screen, a little stronger CPU, a touch screen and is lighter and smaller. I'm used to both Mac OS and Windows.

Although this is a Mac forum, I hope you folks could give me the most non-biased opinions possible. Many thanks. :)

Memole
Aug 3, 2013, 08:01 AM
Depends what you are looking for and what you need laptop for

If you need more Windows specific apps and need to work more in windows os then go for sony vaio

I have seen that sony vaio in person too its a lovely machine but it doesnt look durable IMO... What i like about sony vaio is nice screen resolution and that it have a IPS display but i dont like touchscreens on laptops :)

since you said you are going to college i would recomend you MBA over sony vaio only because of battery life as MBA have better battery life and if you dont mind MBA screen then you are good to go :)

but in other hand Sony vaio is more expensive than MBA so yet another reason why i would go for MBA over sony vaio :)

AXs
Aug 3, 2013, 08:16 AM
Check this video which breakdowns and compares the 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWkG6wVWGds

Fifteen20s
Aug 3, 2013, 08:34 AM
If your considering a Mac, OSX should be your prime consideration.

If OSX is not a prime concern and your going to boot camp, your wasting money.

If you want OSX the hard decision is which Mac model to get.

chrono1081
Aug 3, 2013, 09:09 AM
As someone who has owned a few Vaios, they're overpriced and fall apart shortly after purchase.

Don't be lured by their specs as I once was.

Louis XIV
Aug 3, 2013, 11:24 AM
Bear in mind this is a forum dedicated to Apple products.
Opinions will be biased.

I do own neither maschine and in fact have never owned an Apple product before.
I am here to inform myself about Macbook Airs as well.

I read a review at notebookcheck.com (German section of http://www.notebookcheck.net/) which said the carbon case of the Vaio flexes a lot.
It influenced the use of the keyboard negatively.
Under load the fan is said to be very noticeably, more so than in the Air.
Also while it offers an i7, do you execute any CPU intensive tasks?, the GPU of the Vaio is weaker than that of the Airs (HD4400 vs HD5000).

On the other hand the IPS panel of the Vaio obviously is better than the TN panel of the Air.
The Pro weights less than the Air and it offers a HDMI port.

halledise
Aug 3, 2013, 11:40 AM
I'm going to college soon, so what should I buy? They are of similar price range.

MBA
1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
Intel HD Graphics 5000
4GB memory
128GB SSD

Vaio Pro 13"
1,920 x 1,080 touchscreen display
1.5GHz dual-core Core i7 (Haswell) processor;
4GB RAM;
128GB PCIe SSD drive
1.06 kg
Windows 8 Pro
NFC enabled touchpad

I've seen them in person and they are both quality machines, well the MBA has a stronger iGPU, and nearly twice longer battery life (with similar usage), but the Vaio has a better screen, a little stronger CPU, a touch screen and is lighter and smaller. I'm used to both Mac OS and Windows.

Although this is a Mac forum, I hope you folks could give me the most non-biased opinions possible. Many thanks. :)

go for the Vaio - much better value for money and of course you get all that free software, together with malware, virus, and bloatware included for free :D

Viantef
Aug 3, 2013, 02:55 PM
Get the Vaio.

- IPS Display is gorgeous
- HDMI Port
- Carbon Fiber (It can take a beating)

I would have got the Vaio Pro if I wasn't going to learn iOS Development.

beautifulcoder
Aug 3, 2013, 04:35 PM
On the other hand the IPS panel of the Vaio obviously is better than the TN panel of the Air.
The Pro weights less than the Air and it offers a HDMI port.

The colors on the MBA are amazing. They pop out way more than anything I've ever used. Even though it is not retina it is the second best screen in the industry.

Riker88
Aug 3, 2013, 05:35 PM
The colors on the MBA are amazing. They pop out way more than anything I've ever used. Even though it is not retina it is the second best screen in the industry.

Hmmm, I don't think you will find many people agreeing with you.

I am also choosing between a MBA or the Vaio Pro/ Vaio Duo 13 inch as my next upgrade from a 2011 MBA. The screen of the MBA is the only negative compared to the Vaios for me. I'll probably wait for the Haswell MBP Retina and see what that offers.

JollyJoeJoe
Aug 4, 2013, 12:15 AM

Sorry bud, the screen on the air is downright atrocious for the money you pay. Cheapo TN panel no different to those used on $400 Acer notebooks. The colors don't pop at you, they wash out unless you are looking directly at the screen on eye level because the viewing angles are really bad.

axi0m
Aug 4, 2013, 01:51 AM
Just for the better screen alone I'd take the Sony. The MBA has a downright bad screen.

AXs
Aug 4, 2013, 03:36 AM
Thank god they didn't put a touch screen on my Air.

The touchpad works brilliantly. I don't need nor want to keep poking my laptop screen. I have a dedicated touch device in my iPad Retina 64GB 3G.

tann
Aug 5, 2013, 09:58 AM
If you will bootcamp the macbook air and use windows a lot (like most of the time) then just get the Sony.

If you want a Mac, and want to use OSX then get the Mac.

scaredpoet
Aug 5, 2013, 10:20 AM
If you're going to go Windows, I would look at comparable models from Lenovo or Toshiba. Sony Vaios are way overpriced for what they deliver, and their durability isn't nearly as good as they're hyped up to be.

barrk
Aug 5, 2013, 11:25 AM
People keep bitching about the macbook air screens but it looks fine to me, and to almost everyone I know. Maybe I just haven't used a computer with a really amazing screen and thats why but I have 0 issues with it.

DesignerOnMac
Aug 5, 2013, 11:41 AM
Just for the better screen alone I'd take the Sony. The MBA has a downright bad screen.

I beg to differ on the screen. Think the screen is nice, once adjusted. Colors are crisp, and sharp. Watch streaming Netflix movies and have enjoyed my 13" Air for 10 hours or more each day!! ;)

NickPhamUK
Aug 5, 2013, 12:28 PM
I beg to differ on the screen. Think the screen is nice, once adjusted. Colors are crisp, and sharp. Watch streaming Netflix movies and have enjoyed my 13" Air for 10 hours or more each day!! ;)

He says it is bad compared to the Sony Vaio Pro. 1440x900 vs Full HD 1920x1080 on the same 13" screen, one does not need to be a CNET staff to understand which is apparently better.

beautifulcoder
Aug 6, 2013, 12:25 PM
He says it is bad compared to the Sony Vaio Pro. 1440x900 vs Full HD 1920x1080 on the same 13" screen, one does not need to be a CNET staff to understand which is apparently better.

1080p does not make things better, it just makes things small.

Cheapo TN panel no different to those used on $400 Acer notebooks. The colors don't pop at you, they wash out unless you are looking directly at the screen on eye level because the viewing angles are really bad.

Well, it is not IPS but the viewing angles are excellent on the MBA (surely, I own one). Not sure what Apple is doing here but my MBA has much better colors than a "top of the line" Dell and HP monitor. I actually experience eye strain with these crappy monitors and the colors suck but that could just be crappy Windows. I also use a T420 with the best screen money can buy and a graphics card, it is pure cosmic suck compared to the MBA. Can't comment on Vaio but then who buys Sony these days, I hear the company is in really bad shape.

m98custom1212
Aug 6, 2013, 02:31 PM

Well, it is not IPS but the viewing angles are excellent on the MBA (surely, I own one). Not sure what Apple is doing here but my MBA has much better colors than a "top of the line" Dell and HP monitor. I actually experience eye strain with these crappy monitors and the colors suck but that could just be crappy Windows. I also use a T420 with the best screen money can buy and a graphics card, it is pure cosmic suck compared to the MBA. Can't comment on Vaio but then who buys Sony these days, I hear the company is in really bad shape.

What? Have you heard of the PS4?

hockeyfanatic
Aug 6, 2013, 03:04 PM
If your buying a windows laptop, get the Lenovo X1 Carbon for 1,384.65
Better than the Sony, Asus, or Samsung.
I would wait for Lenovo to start making Haswell laptops first. Worth the wait over the other windows choices.

Personally I reccomend the Mac Air over the Lenovo. That's what I ended up with.

axi0m
Aug 6, 2013, 07:02 PM

Eye strain is a different matter altogether. It often has little to do with the colors/contrast or viewing angles. A lot more important is whether the screen is glossy or matte, how it reflect/deflects light and the brightness levels, I for one find glossy screens like that on the Air easier for the eyes.

That being said you sound like an avid Apple fan with little objectivity in the way: "crappy Windows", "who buys Sony". I am discussing the quality of the screen panel that is all. And you absolutely can't compare a TN panel to an IPS, and a bad TN panel is obvious and I am sorry to say but the Air has a bad TN panel. I have perfect vision and don't need someone on a forum telling me how much better the screen on their air compared to some top of the range 1080P+ IPS panels that some PC's now sport, that's delusional ! I come up to a bunch of MacBook Air's in the store and they're all washed if I move my head away a tad too many degrees off the center point along any axis, the text is fuzzy and not crisp, the colors/contrast so so. And these are not some subjectively perceivable differences, they are in your face literally.

.eric
Aug 6, 2013, 08:04 PM
Get the MBA. Sony is a crap company and they make crap products.

Memole
Aug 6, 2013, 08:31 PM
Get the MBA. Sony is a crap company and they make crap products.

Actually Sony is not a crap i do own apple products but in fact Sony does make nice products and they are also innovative same as apple i have at home iPhone 5 and Sony Xperia Z and I like Sony Xperia Z a lot more than iPhone 5 now i know everyone is going to Boo at me but i don't like fanboys people need to be realistic... Unless you are working for Apple :D

Sony Vaio Pro 13 is a nice product and it have better screen than MBA and better screen resolution... And Apple since rMBP line started to make laptops with a IPS screen and if Apple didnt make a IPS screen laptop i wouldnt buy rMBP 15"... Also I took a risk buying rMBP 15" because there are many reports of IR on rMBP and other flaws so i guess you could call Apple a crapple crap company... and does that make Apple a crap company because of some flaws they had? I guess not, because all companies have good production and bad production and nothing is perfect and besides no company is a chairity organisation they are here to earn (take) money from us

hockeyfanatic
Aug 6, 2013, 09:06 PM
Actually Sony is not a crap i do own apple products but in fact Sony does make nice products and they are also innovative same as apple i have at home iPhone 5 and Sony Xperia Z and I like Sony Xperia Z a lot more than iPhone 5 now i know everyone is going to Boo at me but i don't like fanboys people need to be realistic... Unless you are working for Apple :D

Sony Vaio Pro 13 is a nice product and it have better screen than MBA and better screen resolution... And Apple since rMBP line started to make laptops with a IPS screen and if Apple didnt make a IPS screen laptop i wouldnt buy rMBP 15"... Also I took a risk buying rMBP 15" because there are many reports of IR on rMBP and other flaws so i guess you could call Apple a crapple crap company... and does that make Apple a crap company because of some flaws they had? I guess not, because all companies have good production and bad production and nothing is perfect and besides no company is a chairity organisation they are here to earn (take) money from us

I agree, Sony makes great quality lcd panels. :)

Are we talking about computers or home entertainment systems ?

Computer wise Apple or Lenovo is the way to go.

For a nice movie experience a Sony panel is a great choice. I know because I own one.

SevenFourSeven
Aug 6, 2013, 10:00 PM
As someone who is in your exact position at the moment, please allow me to share my experience with both machines. I've had the unique opportunity to take both home and use each for a while, and I have made many observations that have helped me to decide.

At first, I thought I would like the Vaio Pro 13 more because I would rather use Windows, it has a touch screen, and it has HDMI out for hooking up to an external monitor w/o any adapters. Once I started using it, I noticed the WiFi speeds over 802.11n wireless were very slow compared to my (also WiFi-enabled) desktop. After testing the MacBook Air, I noticed that the Air's WiFi performance was far better than the Vaio's, especially when at a distance from the router. The Vaio has had many, many reports (http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Hardware-Networking/New-Sony-Vaio-Pro-Wifi-Issue/td-p/143557) of less-than-ideal WiFi performance, and I can vouch for that. Sony has released multiple driver updates in attempts to solve the issue, but even these fixes can't give the Vaio performance to match the Air's. This has lead me to believe that the Vaio has a hardware issue rather than a software one. That being said, the Vaio is still a great machine, and will be that much more of a competitor to the Air if/once the WiFi issues are worked out.

If you're dead-set on using Windows, the Vaio isn't your only option. I'm currently running Windows 7 on the Air, and it isn't even remotely as bad as people make it out to be. Battery life is still amazing (I haven't gone less than 9 hours so far, even during moderate usage! :eek:), and Trackpad++ will likely appease you if you're not satisfied with the trackpad performance.

Some of the pros and cons that I have found for each machine:

Vaio Pro 13
Pros: Gorgeous 1920x1080 touch screen, smaller footprint, lighter than the MBA, decent battery life, good keyboard, full-size HDMI out, SD card doesn't stick out of slot, comes in black (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blIfVu4wf-4)
Cons: Trackpad can be frustrating at times with finicky Synaptics gesture support, subpar webcam, fan can spin up even during light usage and create unwanted noise, unresolved WiFi issues that could cripple the machine's usability when ethernet cannot be found, carbon fiber construction has lots of flex which may be disconcerting for some

MacBook Air 13"
Pros: Best-in-class keyboard and trackpad, ability to run both OSX and Windows, longest battery life of any ultraportable to date (even on Windows!), better WiFi performance out-of-the-box than the Vaio, aluminum construction offers better perceived durability
Cons: Only 1440x900 resolution display, no touch screen, no HDMI port, adapter required for video output to anything other than a Thunderbolt display, SD card sticks out of slot

TL;DR Choose what you think will be best for your needs, but be warned that the Vaio still has unresolved WiFi issues. Both are very similarly priced (although Apple may have the advantage with Back-to-School pricing). As for me, I am most likely going to be getting a MacBook Air and running Windows 8 for school.

beautifulcoder
Aug 7, 2013, 10:42 AM
What? Have you heard of the PS4?

I'm over 30, a productive member of society, and don't game. Sorry.

Eye strain is a different matter altogether. It often has little to do with the colors/contrast or viewing angles. A lot more important is whether the screen is glossy or matte, how it reflect/deflects light and the brightness levels, I for one find glossy screens like that on the Air easier for the eyes.

That being said you sound like an avid Apple fan with little objectivity in the way: "crappy Windows", "who buys Sony". I am discussing the quality of the screen panel that is all. And you absolutely can't compare a TN panel to an IPS, and a bad TN panel is obvious and I am sorry to say but the Air has a bad TN panel. I have perfect vision and don't need someone on a forum telling me how much better the screen on their air compared to some top of the range 1080P+ IPS panels that some PC's now sport, that's delusional ! I come up to a bunch of MacBook Air's in the store and they're all washed if I move my head away a tad too many degrees off the center point along any axis, the text is fuzzy and not crisp, the colors/contrast so so. And these are not some subjectively perceivable differences, they are in your face literally.

Calm down. Simply buy an MBA and you'll be a much happier person, trust me.

Zuxor
Aug 7, 2013, 10:54 AM

You can be a productive member of society, be way over 30 and still game.

m98custom1212
Aug 7, 2013, 11:12 AM

Calm down. Simply buy an MBA and you'll be a much happier person, trust me.

and why post such arrogant thing as "sony" is bad shape?

As someone who is in your exact position at the moment, please allow me to share my experience with both machines. I've had the unique opportunity to take both home and use each for a while, and I have made many observations that have helped me to decide.

At first, I thought I would like the Vaio Pro 13 more because I would rather use Windows, it has a touch screen, and it has HDMI out for hooking up to an external monitor w/o any adapters. Once I started using it, I noticed the WiFi speeds over 802.11n wireless were very slow compared to my (also WiFi-enabled) desktop. After testing the MacBook Air, I noticed that the Air's WiFi performance was far better than the Vaio's, especially when at a distance from the router. The Vaio has had many, many reports (http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Hardware-Networking/New-Sony-Vaio-Pro-Wifi-Issue/td-p/143557) of less-than-ideal WiFi performance, and I can vouch for that. Sony has released multiple driver updates in attempts to solve the issue, but even these fixes can't give the Vaio performance to match the Air's. This has lead me to believe that the Vaio has a hardware issue rather than a software one. That being said, the Vaio is still a great machine, and will be that much more of a competitor to the Air if/once the WiFi issues are worked out.

If you're dead-set on using Windows, the Vaio isn't your only option. I'm currently running Windows 7 on the Air, and it isn't even remotely as bad as people make it out to be. Battery life is still amazing (I haven't gone less than 9 hours so far, even during moderate usage! :eek:), and Trackpad++ will likely appease you if you're not satisfied with the trackpad performance.

Some of the pros and cons that I have found for each machine:

Vaio Pro 13
Pros: Gorgeous 1920x1080 touch screen, smaller footprint, lighter than the MBA, decent battery life, good keyboard, full-size HDMI out, SD card doesn't stick out of slot, comes in black (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blIfVu4wf-4)
Cons: Trackpad can be frustrating at times with finicky Synaptics gesture support, subpar webcam, fan can spin up even during light usage and create unwanted noise, unresolved WiFi issues that could cripple the machine's usability when ethernet cannot be found, carbon fiber construction has lots of flex which may be disconcerting for some

MacBook Air 13"
Pros: Best-in-class keyboard and trackpad, ability to run both OSX and Windows, longest battery life of any ultraportable to date (even on Windows!), better WiFi performance out-of-the-box than the Vaio, aluminum construction offers better perceived durability
Cons: Only 1440x900 resolution display, no touch screen, no HDMI port, adapter required for video output to anything other than a Thunderbolt display, SD card sticks out of slot

TL;DR Choose what you think will be best for your needs, but be warned that the Vaio still has unresolved WiFi issues. Both are very similarly priced (although Apple may have the advantage with Back-to-School pricing). As for me, I am most likely going to be getting a MacBook Air and running Windows 8 for school.

Sadly this all true the sony pro 13 WiFi issue is from poor soldering nothing software related. I had an sony vaio pro 13 and love it but the wifi issue makes the ultrabook a $1500+ paper weight.

beautifulcoder
Aug 7, 2013, 11:59 AM
and why post such arrogant thing as "sony" is bad shape?

I don't understand. Have you seen the reports? 60% of their income comes from selling life insurance, they were forced to liquidate headquarters in NYC or face bankruptcy, even PC sales are on a downward spiral which is the longest ever recorded, also traditional gaming consoles are facing the way of the Dodo since the mobile revolution. It's okay though, only a few will miss this company. Don't get me wrong I loved my walk-man but that was the last time Sony did anything to revolutionize the industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 12:04 PM
did you just cite wikipedia as a reference?

F! (for fail)

.eric
Aug 7, 2013, 03:49 PM
did you just cite wikipedia as a reference?

F! (for fail)

A common misperception is that Wikipedia doesn't count as a source. Most of the things written in Wikipedia actually do have some sort of source, and more often than not that source is credible. If there is something you find to be inaccurate, don't' just say "Wikipedia isn't a reference", go find what's being referenced and demonstrate that to be incorrect.

As for Sony (and the comments in the thread) they're pretty much doomed. As somebody else accurately pointed out, the Walkman was the last truly great thing they made, and now their designs, products, services, etc.... are on a steep downward spiral. The entertainment division might be able to hang on long enough, assuming the PS4 isn't as big of a flop as it's projected to be, to stop making hardware but keep making games, records, movies, etc....

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 03:59 PM
A common misperception is that Wikipedia doesn't count as a source. Most of the things written in Wikipedia actually do have some sort of source, and more often than not that source is credible. If there is something you find to be inaccurate, don't' just say "Wikipedia isn't a reference", go find what's being referenced and demonstrate that to be incorrect.

Hey don't look at me. It's not something I suggested. It's what I was told first day at college... and it applied till my final research paper. Maybe things have changed now. Been a while.

.eric
Aug 7, 2013, 06:01 PM
Hey don't look at me. It's not something I suggested. It's what I was told first day at college... and it applied till my final research paper. Maybe things have changed now. Been a while.

Yeah either you went to school the very first day Wikipedia came out, or your professors are dumb. Most stuff on Wikipedia has citations which are listed at the bottom of the page, you just check those and make sure they're accurate.

Generally though, Wikipedia is better edited and managed than most other "credible" sites, particularly news. The only thing that is better are actual peer-reviewed journals.

PDXPean
Aug 7, 2013, 06:07 PM
Is the cheapest price for the Vaio around $1250 right now? If so, it's more expensive than that base MBA 13" at $899 + tax (at Best Buy, after .edu $100 off). I'd say that's significant enough to definitely go for the MBA.

JollyJoeJoe
Aug 7, 2013, 06:36 PM
The Air is an overall better machine, but the screen suxors.

AXs
Aug 7, 2013, 11:51 PM
Yeah either you went to school the very first day Wikipedia came out, or your professors are dumb. Most stuff on Wikipedia has citations which are listed at the bottom of the page, you just check those and make sure they're accurate.

Generally though, Wikipedia is better edited and managed than most other "credible" sites, particularly news. The only thing that is better are actual peer-reviewed journals.

I dont know bro, it was the number 1 ranked university in my country.

Citing wikipedia was a no-no. Sure there are citations and references at the bottom, but it's still not a source. You can click on the links at the bottom, but you're already mislead to be on a wiki page in the first place. Maybe if you're in state school or community college, they won't give a damn... but usually credibility of a source is very relevant. You can't just quote a page with an irrelevant author, or even worse - no author. Usually we cite pages from known and acclaimed authors in the respective field.

But here, let me quote a relevant wikipedia page for you to read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_use
Beyond this, it is your choice :cool:

.eric
Aug 8, 2013, 07:03 AM
I dont know bro, it was the number 1 ranked university in my country.

Citing wikipedia was a no-no. Sure there are citations and references at the bottom, but it's still not a source. You can click on the links at the bottom, but you're already mislead to be on a wiki page in the first place. Maybe if you're in state school or community college, they won't give a damn... but usually credibility of a source is very relevant. You can't just quote a page with an irrelevant author, or even worse - no author. Usually we cite pages from known and acclaimed authors in the respective field.

But here, let me quote a relevant wikipedia page for you to read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_use
Beyond this, it is your choice :cool:

I wasn't saying that you should or could actually cite Wikipedia, but that the facts and figures are generally backed with sources, and they're listed at the bottom. So it follows that unless those sources are not credible (which you have to discover for yourself through your research) , than the actual information on the Wikipedia page is credible.

And going to a "number 1 school in my country" doesn't lend any credibility to anything you say. If you're going to boast, at least boast about something worthwhile.

AXs
Aug 8, 2013, 07:54 AM
of course it lends credibility. There are ranks for a reason you know?

Well, maybe it doesn't matter to you... but when people look at your resume, or when scouts come after you... it certainly matters. Most importantly, you get into a top Master's program.

People that graduate from state colleges end up at McDonalds all the time.

You don't see an honor student from MIT flip burgers though.

That's because the level of difficulty in one university to another is different.

Where I got my bachelors, A C was a passing grade... and a C was 70!
Yea 70/100. And some of the really difficult projects would cut curve - which still left about 60 as a C.

I'm not going to waste any more time with a person who's trying to argue that Wikipedia is a good source of information. Good luck with whichever college you're at.
Just a lasting tip - Don't go to wikipedia to hunt sources. Go to a relevant and acclaimed site in your field of research.
And definitely refer to books published by respected authors in the field.
When I was in college, you couldn't cite more than 2-3 internet sources per article, assuming a 6 citation min. requirement.

Anyways, I'm out. Good luck at Uni

Steve121178
Aug 8, 2013, 08:00 AM

Please don't post such inaccurate information. You can mislead people by doing so.

If the MBA is the second best screen that you've ever used, then you haven't been using much.

.eric
Aug 8, 2013, 10:12 AM
of course it lends credibility. There are ranks for a reason you know?

Those rankings are subjective rankings which are more or less meaningless. The only thing you can say about them is that perhaps the general student that comes out of one of those schools my be better educated than, say, schools that are really bad. But for the most part it amounts to the name on the diploma (outside of a few schools).

But really, the fact that you have to say "I went to a #1 school" is leaning heavily toward ad auctoritatem.

Well, maybe it doesn't matter to you... but when people look at your resume, or when scouts come after you... it certainly matters. Most importantly, you get into a top Master's program.

Maybe that matters for something like, idk somebody who is an ancient history major and the field is so over saturated that people actually bother being selective about where you went to school instead of the character of the individual.

Sure. And?

Perhaps, but you likely don't see an honors student from anywhere flipping burgers. This is because they are hard workers, dedicated, etc, not because they're honor students.

That's because the level of difficulty in one university to another is different.

Only in the most extreme case.

Where I got my bachelors, A C was a passing grade... and a C was 70!
Yea 70/100. And some of the really difficult projects would cut curve - which still left about 60 as a C.

Oh, see where I go to school a C with 70% means you're retaking the class, and generally things aren't curved.

Guess that means my school is tougher :rolleyes:

I'm not going to waste any more time with a person who's trying to argue that Wikipedia is a good source of information. Good luck with whichever college you're at.
Just a lasting tip - Don't go to wikipedia to hunt sources. Go to a relevant and acclaimed site in your field of research.
And definitely refer to books published by respected authors in the field.
When I was in college, you couldn't cite more than 2-3 internet sources per article, assuming a 6 citation min. requirement.

Anyways, I'm out. Good luck at Uni

I'm glad. I wouldn't want you to waste your time giving bad, irrelevant advice.

Tarrou8
Aug 8, 2013, 01:52 PM

One of the most asinine comments I've ever seen in this forum.

maxosx
Aug 8, 2013, 02:17 PM

I really enjoy my 2012 13" MBA. It's one of the best of its kind within the group of similarly configured machines. Yet that said, I'd be lying if I said it has a good display. If not for my strong preference for OS X and this laptops gorgeous & practical design I would never have bought one.

Why? Being tactful but honest, it comes equipped with a below average display that I'm only tolerating because I'm a huge Apple supporter.

The precise moment Apple finally decides to upgrade it to retina, is the day I dump this one for its successor. That day can't come soon enough. Especially since I use a 2012 15" retina equipped MacBook Pro, for 70 % of my work.

AXs
Aug 8, 2013, 02:18 PM
Stop diverting. End of the day, Wikepdia is not an acceptable academic source. If it is where you're from, then good for.

But to point, still silly to quote wikipedia to prove any point.

You want to raise a new core point, being that the REFERENCES on wikepedia may or may not be valid - is a whole different argument.

Now back to Sony - provide some valid proof that sony is going under, as asserted earlier by some troll... or leave it be. don't quote Sony's wiki page to prove that Sony is a bad quality product.

I was just looking at the $6000 4k screen. It is marvelous. And you thought that Apple's $1000 outdated screen was cool. Sure Macbooks > Sony laptops, but display is a whole different ball game.

AX, out. Dont expect any more replies. Freebie session is over for you young lads.:cool:

.eric
Aug 8, 2013, 02:47 PM
Stop diverting. End of the day, Wikepdia is not an acceptable academic source. If it is where you're from, then good for.

But to point, still silly to quote wikipedia to prove any point.

Second time you've said that in 3 sentences. Isn't once enough?

You want to raise a new core point, being that the REFERENCES on wikepedia may or may not be valid - is a whole different argument.

The problem with this is that you are apparently under the mistaken impression that Wikipedia and it's sources are mutually exclusive, when clearly that's not the case. The information on the Wikipedia page is almost always sourced when it comes to facts and figures and really just in general. So if you're going to say that Wikipedia is not credible, then you also have to say that all of the sources are not credible either.

As an example, right on the front page there is an entry for theLactarius indigo. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactarius_indigo#Hesler)

It has 45 sources, including two books published in association with the University of Michigan and the University of California Berkeley.

Frankly. You don't know what you're talking about. If you want to say it's not credible, demonstrate how the sources listed aren't credible. Otherwise, I'll accept your apology. And if you're not going to reply, than I'll just infer that as an admission of defeat.

Now back to Sony - provide some valid proof that sony is going under, as asserted earlier by some troll... or leave it be. don't quote Sony's wiki page to prove that Sony is a bad quality product.

It's called a prediction. You actually don't have to prove it.

I was just looking at the $6000 4k screen. It is marvelous. And you thought that Apple's $1000 outdated screen was cool. Sure Macbooks > Sony laptops, but display is a whole different ball game.

Yeah, cool, they can make a great $6000 screen. How many of those do you think they'll sell?

AX, out. Dont expect any more replies. Freebie session is over for you young lads.:cool:

lol, I wouldn't imagine anybody would pay you for any sort of words of wisdom.

Mike in Kansas
Aug 8, 2013, 04:31 PM
One of the most asinine comments I've ever seen in this forum.

Keep following him - there will be more for sure. A legend in his own mind! :D