Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I'm using my 2011 Mini for both general use and as a HTPC. I'm have dual monitors connected, a HP 24" as the primary connected via TB to DVI, and my TV via HDMI running Plex full screen as the second display.

All has worked well for 2 years with no issues. I just got a new TV, a Vizio M series. My problem is that when the TV is off, I keep getting a freeze then a blue screen every couple of minutes. I think it is trying to detect the HDMI display on the TV. My previous TV, also a Vizio, did this freeze and blue screen only when I would switch to that HDMI input which is what makes me think it is a handshake issue.

Now is this an issue with the TV even when off trying to detect any input being sent to it to automatically turn itself on? Is it the Mac trying to detect to see if the TV is still connected?

I've tried restarting the Mac with the TV both on or off and no change. If I leave the TV on all works fine.

Any suggestions? Needless to say this is driving me crazy.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
I'm using my 2011 Mini for both general use and as a HTPC. I'm have dual monitors connected, a HP 24" as the primary connected via TB to DVI, and my TV via HDMI running Plex full screen as the second display.

All has worked well for 2 years with no issues. I just got a new TV, a Vizio M series. My problem is that when the TV is off, I keep getting a freeze then a blue screen every couple of minutes. I think it is trying to detect the HDMI display on the TV. My previous TV, also a Vizio, did this freeze and blue screen only when I would switch to that HDMI input which is what makes me think it is a handshake issue.

Now is this an issue with the TV even when off trying to detect any input being sent to it to automatically turn itself on? Is it the Mac trying to detect to see if the TV is still connected?

I've tried restarting the Mac with the TV both on or off and no change. If I leave the TV on all works fine.

Any suggestions? Needless to say this is driving me crazy.

It does sound like a HDMI handshake bug issue. I had similar HDMI related freeze issues when my original PS3 game console was connected via HDMI to my old 32" Sony CRT HDTV. Every once in a while the PS3 gaming console would randomly lock up for no apparent reason and I had to unplug the HDMI cable and power cycle the TV and console before it would work again. The problem completely disappeared when I connected that same PS3 via the exact same HDMI cable to a newer Samsung 46" LED TV.

Edge

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
Oddly, I just spent time on Apple Discussions looking at threads related to this exact problem.

The problem is of unknown origin, but one solution is an expensive Geffen HDMI Detective (which persistently simulates the EDID of your monitor.) Others had luck by isolating the CEC signal on the HDMI cable (either by modifying a cable or buying a short CEC pin-free cable from Pulse Eight) or using a series of adapters (because DVI removes the CEC.)

I hope I'm summarising a long thread correctly. Anyway, read the thread yourself and you'll find info more specific to your situation (it is potentially caused by certain Apple or third-party software like iTunes or EyeTV.)

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Oddly, I just spent time on Apple Discussions looking at threads related to this exact problem.

The problem is of unknown origin, but one solution is an expensive Geffen HDMI Detective (which persistently simulates the EDID of your monitor.) Others had luck by isolating the CEC signal on the HDMI cable (either by modifying a cable or buying a short CEC pin-free cable from Pulse Eight) or using a series of adapters (because DVI removes the CEC.)

I hope I'm summarising a long thread correctly. Anyway, read the thread yourself and you'll find info more specific to your situation (it is potentially caused by certain Apple or third-party software like iTunes or EyeTV.)

Thats very interesting because this TV has CEC support while the one I replaced didn't.

I still don't know why the first unit of this model I had didn't have the problem but this one does. The only thing is this unit hasn't gotten it's FW updated yet and the original did. Perhaps that fixed the issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.