Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I noticed that even when the background app refresh is turned off, the weather app continues to poll the network very often. Sometimes when I wake the screen, I see the GPS icon on. When I check location services, its always the weather app. So I did a test this morning but fully charging to 100% and had both useage and standby times at 0/0. I left the phone unused on my desk, unplugged, while I slept. The only things that came through in those first 6 hours of standby were 1 iMessage and 2 Words with Friends plays. The phone had a consistent 2 to 3 dots of service and a full wifi signal. As you can see from the screen shot, the phone had 17 minutes of usage in the 6 hours it just sat there on my desk. The second screen shot, taken 1 hour and 37 minutes later, you can see the usage went up to 24 minutes. Again, there was nothing being used during this time. Personally, I dont think this is that bad at all....the phone stayed at 100% the whole time. But do you think the weather app is polling too often, even when background update is turned off? Im gonna try this again tomorrow morning, this time turning weather off and see if the usage times drop.

Basically, I have location services turned off for all things except weather and cell network search. So I know none of those other services are being used. My iCloud email was on push, yet I had no emails during this time frame. Thoughts??

Attachments

• IMG_0314.PNG
    IMG_0314.PNG
    69.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0315.PNG
    IMG_0315.PNG
    68.9 KB · Views: 55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.