Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JollyJoeJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
If so how did you do it ? My install went fine and the latest bootcamp drivers as downloaded by the assistant also installed fine and all devices are available in device manager. So am I wrong to expect a tolerable Windows experience ?

My problems are as follows.

Trackpad:

I don't know what's going on here, I am glad single tap to click appears to work after bootcamp loaded, but the dragging absolutely does not work in any predictable manner. I sometimes tap and its starts dragging, clicking and holding the click area down on the trackpad will also not work most of the times. Is there a way to get a usable experience, like you have failsafe three finger drag and select in OSX ?

Brightness:

The brightness fluctuates, has a mind of its own. I even have this problem in OSX to a lesser degree (Mind you I turned off slightly dim the display when on battery power), where at some point during they day for some reason the brightness setting changes, can't find a pattern to this behaviour. This also plagued me on my retina 15" which I sold recently. But in Windows it's just crazy, def some driver issue I reckon.

Wi-Fi not working. Can see all wi-fi networks, connection established but is flagged as limited.

Again probably a driver issue.

What I also find interesting is that the problems are different for people, even though the hardware profile is identical and the drivers used are the same ones from Apple.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
We have several in the lab at work. They're working extremely well, the engineers speak highly of them. As far as the details, I have none. The lab I work in went exclusively Mac. We love our Macs.

JollyJoeJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
We have several in the lab at work. They're working extremely well, the engineers speak highly of them. As far as the details, I have none. The lab I work in went exclusively Mac. We love our Macs.

Are you sure they are the 2013 Haswell model ? If so what is different about my hardware and drivers to their working profile ? They are all from Apple.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Yes I'm sure. The decision was made to deploy Windows 8 on these newest MBA's specifically because of the chipset and a product we're designing. Beyond that I'm limited by my NDA.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
Yes, I have the base 2013 MBA, and it's faaaaaast on Windows 8. I have no problems with drivers and love the fluidity and modern feel of Windows 8. TBH, I've been using it more than OS X recently.

- I usually press and hold the left click button with one finger and move the other on the trackpad to drag, so I haven't really tried out the three-finger drag. Apple (perhaps intentionally) does not include full trackpad functionality in Windows 8. Trackpad++ might help you if you need more functionality, but the basic functionality Apple includes in its Bootcamp drivers for the trackpad is fine for me.

- I haven't had any problems with fluctuating brightness. Perhaps you need to do a reinstall? Or first try disabling Windows' adaptive brightness functionality.

- My MacBook's WiFi is working perfectly with my DRLINK AC router. Try right clicking on the WiFi icon and selecting troubleshoot.

Hope that helps.

If so how did you do it ? My install went fine and the latest bootcamp drivers as downloaded by the assistant also installed fine and all devices are available in device manager. So am I wrong to expect a tolerable Windows experience ?

My problems are as follows.

Trackpad:

I don't know what's going on here, I am glad single tap to click appears to work after bootcamp loaded, but the dragging absolutely does not work in any predictable manner. I sometimes tap and its starts dragging, clicking and holding the click area down on the trackpad will also not work most of the times. Is there a way to get a usable experience, like you have failsafe three finger drag and select in OSX ?

Brightness:

The brightness fluctuates, has a mind of its own. I even have this problem in OSX to a lesser degree (Mind you I turned off slightly dim the display when on battery power), where at some point during they day for some reason the brightness setting changes, can't find a pattern to this behaviour. This also plagued me on my retina 15" which I sold recently. But in Windows it's just crazy, def some driver issue I reckon.

Wi-Fi not working. Can see all wi-fi networks, connection established but is flagged as limited.

Again probably a driver issue.

What I also find interesting is that the problems are different for people, even though the hardware profile is identical and the drivers used are the same ones from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.